What's new

Off the grid, self-sustainable living

G

guest 77721

Great post Yukon. That family is doing super but their lifestyle is a bit too extreme for me. In my town you could set up the garden but would run into zoning issues with the farm animals. These guys should own a small farm or at least a couple of acres but who am I to judge.

Last summer I rode my bike (25km round trip) to work more for fitness than to save money. I came across this family while looking for bike ideas. They do their own version of sustainablility.

http://www.unconventionalideas.com/

whyme2

If only it was legal.

Wouldn't it be great to advertise ... an herb safe vacation in the great outdoors. See (insert State/Country Name) the way that only the natives can. ... what a way for Yukon(and others) to be able to support his dream....
$ paid to rent a "cabin" -- Buy some of Yukons best for $20 a gram
This would be great for everyone
How many questions have you seen on this board about transporting for vacation.
How many of us have been( or want to go) to A-dam for this very reason.

ninfan77

Sure it's possible. 25+ acres, concrete pad, 15x40 workshop/shed/house with loft. Wind generator, solar panel, septic tank, well or a few 1000 gallon tanks you'll be responsible for filling.

Collect rainwater, creek water etc.

Is it cheap, over the long run yes. Up front, no you'll need 100k and up.

NOKUY

Veteran
heres a FULLY equiped cabin on 37 acres for $49,000

http://www.remoteproperties.com/yentna/lockwood.html

pic-1-outside-of-cabin.jpg

pic-2-kitchen.jpg

aerial-2-w-arrow.jpg

G

guest 77721

Wow, $49 for 37 acres on a fly-in lake.
Get 4 buddies for $10k each and go fishing once a year and do a snowmobile ride in the winter. All you need is one retired guy to keep the place in order.

NOKUY

Veteran
Wow, $49 for 37 acres on a fly-in lake.
Get 4 buddies for $10k each and go fishing once a year and do a snowmobile ride in the winter. All you need is one retired guy to keep the place in order.

good idea red!

...id even volunteer to be "the retired guy"...lol

FarOut1

I wanna build an Adobe Domedesigned by Nader Khalili one day...

For $3,200 you get plans and the materials to build a 400 sq.ft. structure the materials are sacks or tubes made from a rice sack type of material that gets filled with earth from the site you build on.

It's a brilliant concept most people could build the structure themselves, and since the materials needed for the structure are compact this can be a great idea for remote difficult access.

They even have designs for root cellars, maybe something with an access through the closet in master bedroom so you could have stealth if you wanted it.

They are easier to keep warm or cool and far stronger than a conventional home.

Goes well with the Spirit that dwells outside the box...

http://www.calearth.org/EcoDome/ecodome.html

:rasta: Om Nama Shivaya :rasta:

antimatter

Veteran
those earthbags are awesome, I would probably go with rammed earth if I had the choice, but there is noway id be able to make a rammed earth home by myself without a company that specializes in it.

If the system failed completely and I had to build a sustainable home it would probably be made of flagstone and adobe in place of concrete. Earth bags would require the bags, and rammed earth requires special forms..

check out texas for remote land. cheap, no harsh seasons, plenty of natural resources to utilize, still able to get to things like hospitals. one of the places i've been checking out for this kind of living.

H

h^2 O

Hawaii is where its at, plenty of rain for water encatchments, plenty of sun and if you pick the right spot you get lots and lots of wind. Its also pretty cheap for land
yeah and if the whole island erupts or there's a zombie outbreak or other epidemic you're 3,000? miles from help/safety.

Spiritu

I'm a male in my twenties and I grew up like most others I knew, programmed to want a "normal" life:
-Go to university and get a job
-Get a nice house and car
-Get a wife and have kids
-Work as I become old to support that lifestyle
-Retire
-Etc

However, something never sat well with me.
My basic instincts was rejecting something.

I humbly admit that I grew up ignorant, but who didn't?
Something was always nagging at me when I was growing up.
As an emerging teen, I began to see the POINTLESSNESS of it all.
The useless classes that were supposed to educate, the propgandized history lessons.
But what could I do about it. I was a young teen, confused, and therefore I just followed what everybody else was doing.
Even then, I was still different from most other kids.
I didn't, and still don't have much of an interest to go party or particpate in other social events much like most others my age group (though I still kept up appearances).

I guess I just don't work well with the system.

Over the last 6 months or so, I've become somewhat of a hermit, moreso than I already was. I did not socialize outside my core group of the few real friends I have.
During that time, I've read endlessly, learning what interested me and not what my "guidance counseler" recommended me to learn.
And like many others I've come to a realization that I cannot find true happiness in this shallow, engineered cultre.

What I began to learn disgusted me. The origin of our monetary system, our healthcare system which promotes bad health for profit, among other subjects many of which was about how the system worked and how it kept people in.
However, I dismissed much of it at first, much like one would dismiss anything a "conspiracy theorist" had to say.
But I kept on reading through the months, exposing myself to information which may have damaged my ego and the way of life I have been living.
The rabbit hole went much deeper.
The questions kept coming, and little answers found.
After a little more enlightening, the psyop and programming, the bullshit culture is all too painfully easy to see.

What I want to do is leave it all with a few like minded people.

I want to look for:

A location which due to geography one is fairly isolated from the onset of the NWO (I hope I don't lose too many readers at this point).

A location where the climate is well enough so one can support himself with his own crop without developing deficiencies.

A place where one can be close to 100% self sustainable, perhaps obtaining exotic materials, objects and other items you can't acquire/make yourself (or would not be worth the time to produce) through some other means which I haven't thought about yet.

A place where I can spend my time not tending to my sustenance I can actually ENJOY life and develop myself spiritually.

Although I did say off the grid, I realize how vital the internet may be as an information resrouce for helping me with the kind of lifestyle I want, and it is required for me to stay current with wordly affairs.
And as I understand so far, satellite would be the best bet for isolated areas.

I am only in the infantile stages of this plan.
But I want to begin on a journey to find such a place and make preparations to move to such a place before its too late.
I'd certainly appreciate help as well.
I realize and fully understand I cannot do this alone.
If possible I would like to be out within 10 years.

Please understand I am open minded and fully open to any criticisms anyone might have.

To other like minded people who may already have a head start on this subject, I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks for your time.

Preaching to the choir man. I haven't actually started too much planning and I'm not sure yet if I could pull it off. But I could literally copy and paste your post and send it to my friends and they would think i wrote it.

It's nice to find some like-minded people in this matter. I look forward to reading some more posts and ideas.

I think it would be cool to have like a 1000 acres and have a little marijuana resort where people could live and help each other live a complete, off the grid style of living....where we all grow our own canny and help each other with everyday living......there was a movie with leonardo dicaprrio that depicted this same style and I cant think of the name of the movie...ever since I seen that movie, I have wanted to hit the lottery and invite about 50 people to come along with me and do just that....

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
TO the OP. Finally a thread I can relate too.

I too was in your situation while in college, and I dropped out and headed West. Since then I’ve learned a lot about self-sustained wilderness life both from reading, and experience. The reality of it is that it’s a daunting task to sustain even 1 person in an excellent climate with an abundance of resources. Sickness, disease and injury are paramount considerations when performing day-to-day “routine” tasks like building traps, skinning and cleaning game, transporting gear, what have you. In my honest opinion it’s impossible to do alone. In a group of 5+, provided each individual possesses a particular skill set (or the desire to learn) it’s possible to pull off, but still ideally you’d need 15+ people, some trained on local flora/fauna, wildlife experts, skilled hunters, horticulturalists, first aid/emergency medicine.

Backwoods life is rough AS FUCK. I mean that, the “AS FUCK” is key here. Physically it’s very difficult, but eventually I think anyone could perform the tasks, some just may take more time, but mentally, it’s ridiculous. I stopped smoking “green” when I was off the grid cause I got too lonely, or noided with no one to talk to. It was just so different than what I had planned in my mind. So much work to maintain the place day-to-day, and hunting, cooking, cleaning, etc. It’s hard to not lose A LOT OF WEIGHT as most easily found game just doesn’t contain the calories. Rice will be your best friend for a while.

I don’t know what you’re thinking of mate, whether you just wanna live WAY out in the sticks like I do now, or whether you wanna DISAPPEAR, but either way it’s hard, and to survive you really need to know a TON about where you’re going. Before industrialization took hold and goods/groceries could be bought in stores, people knew more about life in their backyard than folks do now. They could indentify harmful bugs damaging their crops, they knew where and when to plant in the spring so-as to guarantee their food supplies would last the dry times. Much has changed in the world, but the souls longing for that way of life has not I suppose in some.

If you ever do decide to disappear and decide to do so with a group, let me know, I’m game for another go at it.

C

Cookie monster

Question about waterwheels for you guys.

I have a small slow moving stream on my property that I can dam to create 2 foot max of a head water.

Plenty of free plans on the net, i found one that reuses a squirrel cage fan adapted to suit.
Below is the power output for a really simple design i was thinking of, the guy goes on to say it's output could be doubled with a few tweaks gear ratios/pulleys/different belts ect. ect.

A while back, one of our neighbors constructed a water wheel generator using a squirrel cage fan, belt, pulley and surplus tape drive motor that produced a steady 1-2 amps of power, 24 hours a day

What I don't understand is electricity period.
What sort of power would i need to generate to run 300w enviro lights?

I have the option of a wind turbine but i think the brook would be the better option?

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
hey cookie, good thought, in fact i think i mentioned the same thing in another thread and was told that once you interfere with a creek or stream, even if it is on your own property, you face regulation from local enviormental protection acts. before you go that route check with your local officials or consider another electric source.

C

Cookie monster

Shouldn't be a problem billy, the stream was originally the tail race off an old grain mill.

Don't really like the idea of some bureaucrat in an office telling me what i cant do on my own property especially since what i plan to do will not affect the enviroment in any way.

Latest posts

Latest posts