What's new

Off the grid, self-sustainable living

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
Thanks for the video yukon, Thats my dream to by 32 to be able to buy my land and by 35 to be able to get building on the home.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Laptops can be run by small portable solar panels made just for laptops....so you can still have your computer! Satellite phone can prolly be powered same way.......
Phone + Laptop + Solar power = Internet.

O

ocean99

There's still cheap land in california, you just gotta know where to look. Me and my fam visited a 60 acre property just recently that's going for 100,000 bucks. Once I acquire something like that I'ma build my own house on it. You can live on your own, secluded, without having to deal with subzero temperatures and probable starvation haha.

Gotta tip my hat to people who can handle it in the AK bush tho.

There's still cheap land in california, you just gotta know where to look. Me and my fam visited a 60 acre property just recently that's going for 100,000 bucks. Once I acquire something like that I'ma build my own house on it. You can live on your own, secluded, without having to deal with subzero temperatures and probable starvation haha.

Gotta tip my hat to people who can handle it in the AK bush tho.

I dont think it is just living on your on land and living off it.....at least for me its not....I dont want a 60 acre spot where I am 30 minutes from 100,000 people thriving in a big city.....I want to live somewhere, even if 1 acre, where the closest person is a plane ride, or a good hours long ATV ride to get to me. I want to make 1 trip to the store maybe once a month. at least thats my plan...not speaking fro anyone.

FalsifiedDreams

Every place nice has been developed and sold off to the rich or destroyed. The future is entropy. Tennessee is nice though.

I believe the earth is big enough that there are a few gems left out there.

Hey man, ive been gauging this for some time as well, and the poster above is correct, that all the land is vouched for, but the yellowstone natl park and other heavy terrain places in the n USA and canada, are so dense that you probably could disappear so far deep that they wouldent be able to find you....

and if your truley living off the grid then the internet isnt really an option, maybe a few handheld radios but no power outlets out there..

In my opinion, the internet is an indispensable resource for information and knowledge, a lot of which can help you live off the grid and be self sustainable.

are you my long lost twin brother???? Its almost as if I wrote that myself. Bro, I am looking fro the same thing, it isnt easy. Start learning the little survival techniques now, how to grow veggies, composting, getting fresh water, carpentry, minor electrical troubleshooting, medical issues and when to get attention, natural cures, home remedies, wild edibles including flowers and fungus, how to skin and cut your own meat, use of weapons..

those are just a few things you want to get started on if your wanting to be OTG in 10 years....I too want the same thing....I have been studying wind and solar power and how to get it and store it....little things like that will be the difference in you surviving when a snow storm hits, or a global catastrophe....start saving money....a generator is a must even if you have solar and wind power.....I will start saving links to everywhere I read and start posting them on this site for you. Good luck in your efforts bro, maybe we will meet out in the mountains sometime for a smoke and see if my dad knows your mom or vise versa cause I think we are related....LOL...

I will definitely start acquiring the knowledge and know-how. Good luck to you as well. To succeed in this would mean more than everything I've accomplished in my life. I'm sure you may be able to relate on some level.

And we are already related in our quest to start living for real and our love for weed :joint:

Just buy yourself some remote acreage and wait for the inflatable solar powered insta-houses to get invented. If you can't afford land...well...then you're fucked. Those solar powered instahouses aren't going to be cheap either...

I think I will have the greatest satisfaction if I could build my own house myself, tailored to the specific environment I'll live in.

An insta-house sounds very convenient though.

you just need to buy or rent some property in the bush with hardly any neighbors, work from there and become sustainable. Don't give up on living with technology its very useful and even the hermits who live off the grid get computers and internet these days. Check out Earthships for sustainable housing.

I want to clarify that in no way do I want to avoid technology. I'm somewhat of a tech geek myself actually. What I want to avoid is needing to be at the mercy of a utility company in order to use technology.

have you seen the documentary about 'Richard Proenneke'..its called 'alone in the wilderness'

he moved to the alaska bush when he was like 51 and lived there alone for 30 sum years...heres a preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Yep, a great inspiration and a real man.

There's a tax for even asking that question. This is America. How dare you?

Yeah one day we'll have to pay a carbon tax for the carbon dioxide you breath out too! :woohoo:

you should also watch Les Strouds show called 'off the grid'

u can watch the whole thing on youtube in several segments...its a documentary about him buying bush property and him and the family making the move from the city to live there...really cool show...and les will give u lots to think about, and get u really excited to say fuck it.

heres the first part...u can jump to part 2, 3, 4....from the sidebar once there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg7EaLIJrBw

Thanks for this, haven't seen it.

.......is for quitters

Yes, I wished I quit earlier. I wish to quit preparing myself in the only youth I will have to go to school for over a decade to work for many more decades to line the pockets of bankers.

The bad news is, I was born into this. Fortunately, I am trying to quit before I ball and chain myself with mortgage and car payments.

Laptops can be run by small portable solar panels made just for laptops....so you can still have your computer! Satellite phone can prolly be powered same way.......
Phone + Laptop + Solar power = Internet.

Yep, something I don't want to give up!

O

ocean99

I dont think it is just living on your on land and living off it.....at least for me its not....I dont want a 60 acre spot where I am 30 minutes from 100,000 people thriving in a big city.....I want to live somewhere, even if 1 acre, where the closest person is a plane ride, or a good hours long ATV ride to get to me. I want to make 1 trip to the store maybe once a month. at least thats my plan...not speaking fro anyone.

Actually the spot I'm talking about is about 2 hours from any significant population center. There's other people out there who mostly agree with my morals. Nobody is hooked up to utilities, everyone has their own well and solar panels for electricity. I'm sure other people grow pot out there, but I doubt I'd meet them. The summers are full cali sun and the winters are green comfortable beauty.

California's my home, if I'm gonna own land it's gonna be here, but you gotta do what you gotta do man. Just a thought tho, how you gonna get dank in the bush? hehe

junior_grower

I have a section of farm land, its was not cheap but is currently rented out to a nice farmer and that helps to pay a good chunk of the mortgage. I will take another ten years to fully pay it of but once it is than I am out of the city and on 640 acres of land that nobody can step foot on but me.
You will need to hunt, so I suggest you learn to shoot now.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
I've lived in the bush for a few years back in the day. The only major issue I ever had was a medical one. Having to basically evac yourself out while seriously injured sucks. There are plenty of properties that meet your spec in the Yukon, Alaska & the Dakotas.

You'd better either be retired, or have a source of income that's reliable. Gardens can fail, bears can eat a years worth of food in the time you're out fishing, floods happen.

If you're moving to a place with a lot of game, get good with a rifle. Shotguns are great but miss one pellet and a trip just to get a tooth fixed sucks.

Originally Posted by mtnmama420 View Post
There's a tax for even asking that question. This is America. How dare you?

An insta-house sounds very convenient though.

haha I'm laughing hard reading through this thread :joint:

your first post described my feelings exactly. I grew up the same way and now in my early twenties feel just like that.

I just want to separate from the system and live self sustainably but I have no problem using modern technology to do that. We have to live responsibly as humans but there's no reason to deny how far we've come as humans. Electricity and the internet are important. I know that's going to take money so I guess that's the first goal. But, as you know, money is debt when it comes to the grand scheme.. hah its a fuck this situation for sure. I guess I'm willing to play the game long enough to get my land and build a comfortable but sustainable home for my family. I like the earthships a lot. I'll have to lean on the system, maybe just work it but in a responsible way, but never live oblivious within it.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
im with you falsified, i live in the urban jungle, im on the freeways everyday running around so i can get money which is BS. everyday i dream about being in the redwood forests of northern cali with my rifle in hand, tromping around.

you should watch "in the wild" directed by sean penn, some kid goes off into alaska and ends up eating the wrong roots and dies, but he dies free and happy.

fuck laws, fuck the government, and fuck the sheeple who slave away every day.

AndreNicky

Hawaii is where its at, plenty of rain for water encatchments, plenty of sun and if you pick the right spot you get lots and lots of wind. Its also pretty cheap for land

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
you guys think these systems are legit?? http://partsonsale.com/cabins2intermediatetemp.html and this wind turbine http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/09/air-breeze-a-teeny-tiny-turbine-for-off-grid-power.php for $700 a piece 4 of these for $2800 + $31,464 for the homestead II system do you guys think this would be enough to power a house and a couple of 1000 Mh/HPS. im new to this but sounds like alot of juice. Its the dream but have to stay in cali only way to make it work off the grid for me is to continue to vend to the clubs.

Hawaii....cheap...for...land? Ah...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Wow, do I want what you are smoking, or maybe just your bank account. Not only is it some of the most expensive real estate on the planet, the property taxes are insane.

AndreNicky

Hawaii....cheap...for...land? Ah...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Wow, do I want what you are smoking, or maybe just your bank account. Not only is it some of the most expensive real estate on the planet, the property taxes are insane.

You've clearly never visited the big island, which is the one im refering to when i say property is cheap. 5k for 7500 sqft in a nearly perfect climate zone doesn't seem to terrible to me...

You're right, I've never been to the Big Island, just Kauai and Oahu. I'm aware that it's got the 'relatively' cheap land, but no, I don't consider 20 thousand an acre cheap, certainly not for remote land. I'm poor like that...otherwise I'd be in Kauai. :(

AndreNicky

I love Hawaii, but this is not a sustainable concept. Hawaii has building codes that will prohibit you from just doing what you want. Get caught growing weed there and they take your land.

LoL, You havn't been to the big island either. Building codes are un enforced for the most part or almost every single person would be homeless. Growing weed is LEGAL if the cops cant see it, meaning if you grow in a white greenhouse thats not clear its 100% legal to grow 24 mature plants. The spot i was gonna buy land at is totally un regulated, you could basically do whatever the fuck you wanted and the closest police station was easily 20-30 miles. Like i said hawaii is where its at you just have to search thru the bullshit and find the gems

G

guest 77721

I bought a travel trailer last summer and am really enjoying it. It wouldn't take too much to be self sufficient in a trailer. All you need is a free place to park, solar or wind power to charge some batteries. Loading water and dumping holding tanks is not a big deal.

There's lot's of people living a low cost mobile lifestyle in a Travel Trailer or RV on retirement income. The more sustainable you make the trailer, the lower the cost of living in it. I found a RV forum where there are people that boondock for several weeks then spend one night in a campground to dump tanks, do laundry etc..

I'm thinking of looking for a nice piece of property to put the trailer on and work on a sustainablility plan from there. All I'd need is a wind turbine, a well and a septic bed.

NOKUY

Veteran
I bought a travel trailer last summer and am really enjoying it. It wouldn't take too much to be self sufficient in a trailer. All you need is a free place to park, solar or wind power to charge some batteries. Loading water and dumping holding tanks is not a big deal.

There's lot's of people living a low cost mobile lifestyle in a Travel Trailer or RV on retirement income. The more sustainable you make the trailer, the lower the cost of living in it. I found a RV forum where there are people that boondock for several weeks then spend one night in a campground to dump tanks, do laundry etc..

I'm thinking of looking for a nice piece of property to put the trailer on and work on a sustainablility plan from there. All I'd need is a wind turbine, a well and a septic bed.

great point red!

around here u can get a self-contained camp trailer for a cpl grand for one in good condition.

NOKUY

Veteran
also check out a cpl great magazines like

www.backwoodshome.com
currentcover118.jpg

www.motherearthnews.com

also 'igrowme' posted this great link for some backwoods food in the are you prepared thread....(1 year supply of food for 1 adult = $3000)

http://www.efoodsdirect.com/products.html

Latest posts

Latest posts