What's new

Odor-reduction: looking for smelly houseplant

reallycoolname

My apologies if this has been covered before. I am a Wa state MMJ grower on my first go -around. I'm in week 1 of flowering and the girls are gorgeous!! But I'm beginning to be concerned about smell. Don't need any unnecessary attention, despite being a cardholder.

My (maybe silly) question is this: could I put some other flowering plant in my 5x5 hydro hut, with my 8 plants, that would help mask the smell? I'm thinking in terms of lavender, or other smelly herbs/flowers.

I don't have much of a budget, and a carbon filter is far out of my reach. Any advice on smell reduction would be helpful. The tent seems to contain it fairly well (for now), but I know soon it will overwhelm the house (and my 3 housemates)

Thanks!

trusttom

i have rosemary , basil and tomatoes in my 5x5 tent, all have a fregrance but do not really help, but then again i have always grown like this so i dont know the differance. i guess get a cardon filter if you dont already have one, i also put odour eating agents throughout my ventilation system which does help alot, im growing 1 or 2 ladies so nothing crazy , it is a propetual grow two tents, 2 duct fans 2 carbon filters, im happy, wife is happy about the fresh tomatoes ect ... she is a chef.. im a hobbyist

kstampy

your best bet is a carbon filter DIY style for as cheap as possible, do some searching do some google-ing and you can find super cheap alternative ideas. get creative, i made one with a 4" net pot and some leggings for my tent when i had one cost maybe 10 bucks? good luck :)

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
I don't have much of a budget, and a carbon filter is far out of my reach.
The classic response to this is to ask how much it might cost you if you don't come up with one...

But that's not really helpful.

There are some good DIY guides on this forum (Pontiac's DIY guide). And as Kstampy noted, they do not have to be prohibitively expensive.

HerbalMEDitaion

yeah i was going to say the same thing.... oh the funny ideas i came up with when makin a DIY carb. filter. I just need the carbon rocks... hey imaginary friend you know where they sell rocks?

A

Aeronoob

why don't you get a carbon scrubber and fan. $150 off ebay for both...done deal.

trusttom

i also have tropical snake plant throughout my house, will not work on their own, but a great natural air filter, in my experiance the ladies put out more smell in the dark ( i could be wrong) but i have a ozone filter running during the dark cycle.. i guess im a littel odour crazy .. lol ..

trusttom

and if you do use lavender (good idea) put it in front of the fan, the adjitation does help desperse the pleasant fregrance. rosemarry is pretty good to

Calimed

Veteran
Skip past the houseplants and get a carbon filter. If you need more, check out glade plug-ins. The stress of worrying about odor is NOT worth it.

trusttom

glade plug ins .. lol , they stink , carbon filter plus diligence does play off, mind you he tropicals are a pain in the ass, lotts of maint too, bur love love plants soo

A

Aeronoob

arbon scrubber on intake and exhaust of fan in tent.....aslo 1 in room, outside of tent if wanted, the door that shuts to the room the tens in aka bedroom door or whatever, you will want to get this shit they sell at home depot, it is located by the weather stripping for doors. It comes rolled up in a package thats clear in the front so you can see it. its brown or white colored and comes in different thicknesses. It splits in half so you get double the ammount. It is very sticky on one side where the tape is, you peel that off and line the rim of teh door frame where the door closes, coupled with one of those draft stoppers that wedges between the front and back of a door, or weather stripping mechanisims that mount on the underside of the bottom of the door will net you a completely sealed room, taht shit will light proof and smell proof that room. not a ounce of air will escape that shit, it seales tight when the doors closed. this shit is not the cheap foam grey stuff, its the brown or white semi rubbery stuff thats rolled up like a cinnamon roll and is much higher quality. if this is in your bedroom, id suggest leaving the bathroom exhaust fan on if you weatehr seal the door, this will create negative pressure in the room and any air that goese threw all those filters will eventualy be sucked up into the bathroom exhaust vent. you can choose to use the under door back draft stopper/weather sealer. if you don't use it it will jsut draw more fresh air into the room and out the exhaust fan if you do. I might suggest hooking the exahust part of the carbon scrubber in the tent up to the bathroom exhasut fan and have your inline fan push the exhasut threw a vent hooked up to the bathroom exahsut fan= negative tent pressue and no smell or air escaping the tent into the room.... having a grow inside of a tent, inside of your closet inside of that bedroom is teh saffest place, as odor has to go threw 3 barriers. You might have to replace or frame a door to your closet if it dosent have one or is only the folding type, but this coupled with your carbon scrubbed area vented to the bathroom exahsut will help to make a smell proof for knox.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
There's a plant in the succulent family called a Stapelia (sp).. huge starfish shaped blossom.. blossom smells like dead fish.. lol.. this might be the wrong direction tho..

mgk :hide:

MHHSP

You could try o.n.a. gel or liquid, I use it when harvesting and drying, but its only really temporary, maybe till you can get a filter?

A

Aeronoob

There's a plant in the succulent family called a Stapelia (sp).. huge starfish shaped blossom.. blossom smells like dead fish.. lol.. this might be the wrong direction tho..

mgk :hide:

whats that smell??!!! "o its my flower I love having in my place, can't get enough of that dead fish smell....Im not hiding anything..."

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Trusting your security to a stinky houseplant is not a smart move at all.
Your best bet is to take all the other posters advice of saying invest (or make one) in a carbon filter and fan and your smell issues will be gone.
Your safety and security are no joke, stay safe :tiphat: :biggrin: