What's new

Obama Wants a Bush Crony...

vta

Veteran

Obama Wants a Bush Crony Appointed as a Top Drug Enforcer --
Reformers Push Hard to Change His Mind
Under Michele Leonhart's administration, the DEA has raided a number of legal medical marijuana growers and dispensaries.

A number of medical marijuana advocacy organizations are urging President Obama to withdraw his nomination of Michele Leonhart to serve as the Administrator of the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).

Leonhart was nominated to be the Deputy Administrator by President Bush in 2003 and confirmed by the Senate in 2004. She has been the acting Administrator of the DEA since the former Administrator, Karen P. Tandy, resigned in November of 2007.

After the resignation of Tandy, President Bush nominated Leonhart to be the next Administrator, but the Senate Judiciary Committee did not hold any hearings on the nomination and, after the adjournment of the 110th Congress in January of 2009, the nomination was returned to President Obama.

On February 2nd, 2010, President Obama officially nominated Leonhart. The nomination is currently awaiting hearings and confirmation from the Senate.

The Drug Policy Alliance, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, Marijuana Policy Project, National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), and Students for Sensible Drug Policy are among the groups calling on the President Obama to withdraw his nomination.

According to a joint press release issued on Wednesday, these groups claim Leonhart "has not demonstrated that she is capable of leading the agency in a thoughtful manner at a time when 14 states have enacted medical marijuana laws and science is increasingly confirming the therapeutic benefits of the substance."

Of concern to these groups, under Leonhart's administration, the DEA has raided a number of legal medical marijuana growers and dispensaries. In one case, the DEA raided the very first person to register for a medical marijuana cultivation permit, a sixty-nine year old woman from Mendocino County in California, even though her personal marijuana garden had been inspected and approved by the local sheriff.

As reported by The Press Democrat, according to the Mendocino County Sheriff, the medical marijuana grower had the proper paperwork and the marijuana was legal in the eyes of the county.

"Michele Leonhart continues to wage war on sick people and their caregivers, undermining the Obama Administration's otherwise compassionate medical marijuana policy," said Bill Piper of the Drug Policy Alliance. "Obama needs to withdraw her nomination and nominate someone who will follow the stated policies of his administration."

As reported by The New York Times in 2008, Attorney General Eric Holder has claimed that the Obama administration would end the Bush administration's policy of raiding medical marijuana dispensaries and restrict itself to only raiding drug traffickers who “use medical marijuana laws as a shield.”

In addition, Deputy Attorney General David Ogden told federal agents in an 2009 memo to not target people in "clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana."

The coalition of marijuana advocacy groups also believe Leonhart should not be nominated because she has disrupted marijuana research in the past. In 2009, she refused to issue a license to the University of Massachusetts to cultivate marijuana for a FDA-approved study.

"With Leonhart’s nomination pending, one would expect her to be more -- not less -- respectful of the Department of Justice and the rights of individuals in medical marijuana states," noted Steve Fox of the Marijuana Policy Project. "Such behavior is an ominous sign for the future of the DEA under her leadership."

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's sucks. Not really a surprise IMO. He keeps the Defense Secretary. Now this. Obama is a Bush crony if you ask me.

Beware of double speak.

It's his ego... he thought he was hot shit when he got elected first black president blah blah blah and then he realized that people weren't gonna cut him any slack because of his race and so he started the :moon: kissing and once people got fed up with his catering to the republicans his approval ratings dropped even more and so he resorts to doing stupid shit like this. If there was even the slightest chance he would not be re-elected because of his policy on marijuana expect him to go all Reagan on your ass.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
I was hope-notized!
I want my vote back

I'm beginning to think he's going to be a one term wonder.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Do you think Obama or anyone in the DEA gives one shit about what a bunch of hippie stoners think? Remember Obama publicly laughing at the question about legalizing cannabis? Those groups can draft all the statements they like. They can make all the rational arguments against Leonhart they like. It will make not one bit of difference. The only conceivable way she will NOT become the next head of the DEA is if someone close to Obama objects (i.e., someone important, with lots of money). And if that was going to happen, it already would have.

I'll bet she's creaming her jeans already just thinking about medical cannabis in DC. Her boys could probably raid all 8 dispensaries in one day and still be home in time for their before-dinner martini. She WILL be appointed, and you can quote me on that.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I had been drinking Kool-Aid I'd be mad. This is more like expected.

for any of you who actually voted for this stupid mother fucker....congrats.....

and what did you really expect....media was blowing up medical mj after his election....yea fucking right what a pipe dream....

to anyone who is surprized....wake the fuck up and realize that your an idiot for voting for ANY dem/repub

I was hope-notized!
I want my vote back

I'm beginning to think he's going to be a one term wonder.

you were "hope-notized"....???

is that laymans terms for you were brainwashed by another 2face politician.....LOL how pathetic....im probably half/third your age and didnt fall for a second of the bullshit spewing from his pores.

SOTW GTR 3

im moving to spain... whos coming?????? lololol.....but no really, we should *acquire* a continent or group of islands and make our own pot friendly civilization.... lololol not ever in this or the next 50 lifetimes though.... :comfort: :comfort: :comfort: :petting: :petting: :canabis:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Perhaps....
picture.php

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
all i see in the future as california and other states become more lax on cannabis.. is the DEA having their main course served right to them and eating their desert too... the conflict between state laws and federal will continue... and unforunately since most of the population has been brainwashed about how horrible marihuana is, its not the best of subject to show that there needs to be change... start taking the guns and coors light away from the rednecks in other states and they would be screamin about rights.....

there has been a lull in medical garden raids but with the right person leading the agenda of the DEA ... there certainly is a big possiblity of backlash and prosecution... even if just to prove that the US government views every smoker and grower as a criminal who should be locked away...
rada.... i digress.... :joint:

Despite what most people think Obama is really a conservative Democrat. He is further right of the Clintons, and actually more conservative than President Dwight D Eisenhower! The idea that he would legalize MMJ was a projection(i.e. wishfull thinking) by the masses(we, the tokers).:wallbash: What has been apparent is that he did not 'clean house' of the Bushies. Here is another example of him installing a Bushy as head of the DEA.:shucks: I don't expect anything different from the reappointment of this individual .:2cents:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lets get real... The current relaxed environment for cannabis is almost exclusively because Obama called the DEA off. The guy has already done more for cannabis than he ever said he would during the campaign. Where's the love?

All you guys said the same things when he picked Holder for the AG post, and what did we end up hearing from that guy? He came right out and clarified the DEA was backing off mmj, and it seems like they have basically done so.

Some of you seem to expect Obama to put Tommy Chong in charge or something. Think about it... All the experienced people in the agency got the experience cause they have been there during Bush's term.

Is it possible that Leonhart was chosen for experience within the agency rather than their personal feelings about cannabis?

Obama knows they will do what he says on the matter, and thus can choose the most capable leader from the pool of applicants.

All this getting up in arms about Leonhart seems premature and unjustified given the behavior of Obama's current selections.

LOL remember how hard that DEA douchebag in Colorado got slapped down when he tried to act like they were gonna do something about dispensaries? Holder himself stepped up to clarify yet again that it wasn't gonna happen.

IMO, it's time to start giving Obama some credit and a little benefit of the doubt where cannabis is concerned.

Neo 420

Veteran
I think they all forgot how it was during Bush rein. AI wonder how the mind forgets so easily....

SKUNK420

That's sucks. Not really a surprise IMO. He keeps the Defense Secretary. Now this. Obama is a Bush crony if you ask me.

Beware of double speak.

Barry is just playing his part in the New World Order. Seriously all you have to do is look who he surrounds himself with. Everybody around him have a true hardline leftist / progressive political agenda. Look at the Netroots conference. Progressive groups, dot orgs complaining that their lobbying hasn't gotten them any kickbacks yet. He made a prerecorded speech for them so don'ttell me he's not a progressive.

On the double speak I see it more like this:
When it comes to Barry O. look at what he does, not what he says.
When it comes to his Czars you better PAY FULL ATTENTION.

rashboy99

Lets get real... The current relaxed environment for cannabis is almost exclusively because Obama called the DEA off. The guy has already done more for cannabis than he ever said he would during the campaign. Where's the love?

All you guys said the same things when he picked Holder for the AG post, and what did we end up hearing from that guy? He came right out and clarified the DEA was backing off mmj, and it seems like they have basically done so.

Some of you seem to expect Obama to put Tommy Chong in charge or something. Think about it... All the experienced people in the agency got the experience cause they have been there during Bush's term.

Is it possible that Leonhart was chosen for experience within the agency rather than their personal feelings about cannabis?

Obama knows they will do what he says on the matter, and thus can choose the most capable leader from the pool of applicants.

All this getting up in arms about Leonhart seems premature and unjustified given the behavior of Obama's current selections.

LOL remember how hard that DEA douchebag in Colorado got slapped down when he tried to act like they were gonna do something about dispensaries? Holder himself stepped up to clarify yet again that it wasn't gonna happen.

IMO, it's time to start giving Obama some credit and a little benefit of the doubt where cannabis is concerned.

This sounds a little more rational.

Neo 420

Veteran
This is so funny. One person say's he is far left and another say's he is right centrist.

Latest posts

Latest posts