What's new

NZJAYS GROWING IN A BUNKBED AGAIN: Version 2.0

N

NZjay

[INSERT YOUR BEST ACTION MOVIE ADVERTISEMENT VOICE]

............it came to me one night in my dreams..... :D

......a vision if you will........ :joint: ...

but back then, she was nothing more than a drawing...
11192untitled.JPG

but now... tttthis!................ is round 2.

the BUNK BED VERSION 2.0!!
and things are just getting interesting!

====================================

Kia ora!!
im NZjay!
those of you who dont know me, hopefully will wanna stick around for the show!
i had a thread in the Hydro section, running the DWC under 3k watts a little over a year ago.. but then moved house.
where i didnt think i was going to be growing again for a while.
then the bunkbed idea was thrown around. and 2 weeks later, i made her a reality. booming a massive 600 watt HPS :)
Round 1 from 8 Purple urkle yeilded me 5.3oz along with my first indoor soil thread! lol

i was pretty happy with that overall..
but i know what more light can do....
So version 2.0 gets 1200 watts! :D

Im running the Blazeoneup ADD WATER ONLY soil mix. except this time, im gonna try to get my hands on some Blackstrap molasses and see how that does my girls. :)

i decided to open a new thread here in the grow diaries section because i plan on growing outdoors this year also, and i wanted to update it all in the one thread, instead of trying to update seperate threads. and hopfully ill meet some new faces here on ICmag!

so anyway!
i hope you guys will stick around. im gonna upload some pics i just took, and get this ball rolling.

:D

Last edited:
N

NZjay

well, first off lets hit some keif:

ahhh... thats better!

so!, the bunkbed has now been running 1200 watts for approx 6 hours.
temps havnt gone above 81F, and all is looking nice and bright. i think ill need my sunglasses when i go to bed from now on :headbange

And now, the girls start coming in:
Im running "Purple Urkle", "G13 Diesel" from Head Seeds, "Soylent Green" gifted to be from a friend here at ICmag. and a purple Urkle seed i grow during round one which turned out to be something special.
she had 9 finger leaves all over her, and stunk of strawberrys or something vey unlike the usual Urkle! i named her "9 Finger Urkle". or "9FU" for short.

things got messed up by a week due to my new ballest going bad..
didnt even make 1 grow. i was not impressed.
the 2 ballests i have now have 5 year warrenty - replacement no Qs asked. so look out!

i press leaves of strains ive grown before.
not sure why.. its fun. lol.
today while in the stores, i saw these:

and thought.....

id put my beer on coasters like that! :D

i also run a small veg room with 2 x 48watt fluros.

today (yes, ive been VERY BUSY ALL DAY!) i took 8 Purple Urkle clones.

and i already have some other clones which might be going outside when the weather allows.... or i might just put them in the bunkbed and do the the old fashioned way.
who knows! if ya stick around long enough, youll see i decide alot of things at the last minute! lol

now, you are all updated!
as mentioned above, i will soon be heading outside.
actually, i currently have 1 G13 Diesel outside. i did have 3, but after seeing them back in veg, i thought i would bring them in and finish them in here while i have the room.
i will .....*cough* decide what to do with the 3rd one in the morning when i can walk to it without walking into thorn bushes, and take a look at her.

but i think thats it!
my new home... welcome all.

Bunkbed version 2.0 is under way!

Last edited:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Yo Jay
Nice to see you have a diary now.
The 1200 watt bunkbed is a great idea, and with it coming in on winter for you, I am sure temps wont be that big of a concern.

Looking forward to watching your plants grow man

Take care

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
Grabbing a seat. That first run of purple urkle looks tasty. This run has some damn nice variety too. Crappy about the ballast, at least it happened early in the run. Take care man, good luck with this run.

B/R

TML16

Snow Grower ~OGA~
Veteran
Nice to see ya back in the Grow Diaries :woohoo:

Checkin in early on this one :yes:

Very nice bondage on the ladies and it should be interesting to see what the added wattage brings :lurk:

I agree with the sunglasses :cool: I even wear them to check in on my 250W.

Nice leaf collection! :smile:

trichosaurus

*Stoned User*
Veteran
Hey Jay! Glad to hear you got the 1200watts up and running so quickly. This should be a great show like the last one. :wink: The framed marijuana leaves are very cool and artsy... they would look good hanging around the house. :chin:

Ill be checking in on ya and seeing how things progress. :lurk: peace.

N

NZjay

wowza!

bunch of good folks starting out my new thread! sweeeeeeeeeet! :D

Doc: both bunkbed grows, you grabbed first seat in both! (i think... now ill have go check the first grow lol)
You are mistaken about coming into winter.
im not IN New Zealand right now... im in the States. so im actually coming into summer soon :)
A/C unit is in the Garage, ready to be fired up if need be :)
glad you here mate.. Woof!

Sammet: You're IT! no wait.....

Black Ra1n: Happy to have more of the talented OGA crew in here!
early/late.. yeah i get what ya mean. it died at 9.2 weeks into my Urkle grow.
i take the Urkle 10 weeks, so i was kinda dissapointed. 5 more days would have added alot more deep purple to the buds.. but nothing i could do.
at least it didnt died at 8 weeks.... or 7.... or..... you get the idea.
now i got 1200 watts though... so.. bring on any dieing ballest now! :D
welcome BR, happy to have you on board!

TML16: and another OGA! you guys sure do get around! lol!
yeah ive spent aot of time bending pushing and pulling all of those girls.
LST is so much fun!
i enjoy being so close to the plants and getting to know each only on a more personal level. lol

Glad you made it early this time TML! hope i can show you OGA boys that us Kiwi boys can grow too! :D

Tricho: stoaked you're here mate.
you are full of great info, and i appreciate the help youve given me in my hydro->soil transition!
i love the coasters! lol i have many more pressed leaves, which i will get picture frames for down the road.
i thought the coasters were a neat start though :D
take care mate! :)

Everyone: well, the temps got up to 86 at one point during the night (while i was sleeping) but to no ill effects. the plants are already responding the the recent re-tie and bondage session. hopefully ill be in flower maybe next week.
im thinking of maybe 2 more weeks in veg, then put the bed back to flower... but its all a timing thing.
just another last minute decision ill have to make :)

Y

YwouldntI

wattup nz with the new pimped out thread,i was just chimin in yo,you know how we do!1200 watts aww stuff lookin to be another good show.i have mad work to do today myself been kickin it this weekend now my workload is off the chain today.pimpin aint easy eh brotha.tagged bro peace-Y-

N

NZjay

nah man.. pimpin' aint easy!

go 3 months without having to do much.. then in between crops, theres always that mad busy few days getting set back up! lol

good to have you in the new thread Y!
peace my man!

B

Bigtimer7

NICE!!

WOw my man, Im glad I caught this one early!! Nice man.. Good we maybe get a pic of the bunk bed closed up like from outside it... To see how youve sealed and so forth.. If not its okay :)

Great job man and you better be ill be stickin around

TAG! +++

N

NZjay

Bigtimer7! good you found me here mate!
yes of course. any pic requests are welcome!
i guess i wasd slipping not showing yas the outside! how silly of me!

Shes not "closed" in this one (i was still working on her upgrade)

her upgrades were:
* 600 more watts of HPS goodness.
* additional fan for movement inside the bed (can see both in this pic)

* Added a fan ontop of the bed blowing on the lights to help move the hot air away from the bed.
*Put white poly on the floor for added brightness :D it was previously just wood board. (the matress board of the actual bunkbed. lol)

* my patented "Zipper covers" were widened.
i know i know.. what are zipper covers???..
Ok, you know when you use zippers leading into your room?... sometimes, the zippers get caught on the plastic... so i trim the plastic back. but then this allows light to seep in through the white material part in the zippers. so... i invented Zipper covers. when the room is closed, all you can see is black plastic - no zippers. 6ft long, by half ft wide strips of black poly were cut, and weighted down at one end. the other end is taped to the top of the bunkbed. when the zippers are zipped and its sleepy time, the covers come down, and no lights gets into the room. :) zing! :D
example:
WITHOUT THE ZIPPER COVERS DOWN: easily see the zippers, and light easily gets into my room!
11192Feb_19th_-_flower_day_1_-_027.jpg

But then i put my covers down, and Bam!
11192Feb_19th_-_flower_day_1_-_026.jpg

*the intire roof was rebuilt for a few reasons: needed to add another 600watt area : needed more stability under the window with the extra weight of the new 600watt/hood: saftey: so another cross board (the width of the bed) was added for extra support. the bed is full stable now. boy i hope i dont have to move it! :muahaha: lol.
*places were re-taped/tighten/screwed into place.

with the temps holding at around 81-86F, i think i will go ahead and try to get co2BOOST. this will help the plants deal with the warmer temps, and should save me from needing the AC before summer is here.
and thats not even considering the benefits of co2 for the plants too. lol.
just to help with heat :)

well this turned into a mini update! lol.
thanx for the request Bigtimer7, and thanx for taggin in!
anything else i can show ya?...

SimpleWord: thanx mate! :D

Sleepy

Veteran
taggin' in...

taggin' in...

last time was pleasure...i'll be watching this one! :headbange

rock it, NZjay

N

NZjay

Sleepy! man all the big names are taggin in early! hehehe..
welcome man, hope ya bought ya pillow, this could be a long thread :D

First Tracks: hello! glad you're on board! thanx for poppin in and taggin up!

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
round 2 ding- glad to see you rockin mo light in there. this is gonna be a good one.
i want to go look at blazes water only mix. maybe post it here so we all know how those buds grow so nice. when i go dro and have a few dirtys off to the side i dont want to mix nutes. it is no fun all the time.
i am here for the rest cuzzin! grow safe!
Sir (on my uncles pc) lol

N

NZjay

hi Maj.Pothead! :wave:
well, this is not the exact recipe that blaze uses in his soil thread. but it derives from his, and had his help working on this alternative.
its so so simple!

mix 1 bag of FFOF, and 1 bag of black gold (yes i know the bags are diff sizes but that is possibly a good thing because black gold is softer and not as "Hot" as FFOF.
i mix in 1 cup of Bone meal, 1 cup of blood meal, 1/2 cup of dolomite lime, and usually a full bag of extra perlite.

i dont have PH pens or PPM or EC meters. tap water. into the soil.
thats it! water the whole way through! its really that simple!

im gonna try some molasses this run, and i also got some B'cuzz foliar nutes for free...might have to test that out on a plant or 2. :)

would be great for what you mentioned. the soil doesnt have to "cook" either.
as soon as its mixed, you are ready.
i would go check out blazeoneups soil thread though, he explains it all well, and a better soil mix.
i HAD to go this route because soils were out of season when the bunkbed began. :)

thanx for dropping in Maj!... take care

hazy

Veteran
Blaze grew some very nice plants with his water only soil mix. You'll do great. Way to go with the extra 600 in there. I commented on that nice big bag of buds at the end of your BB v 1.1 thread.
I can't wait to see the bag of buds you get this time.

K

khaleel

hey brother! love the new digs. :muahaha:

can't wait my friend, you'll have another thread dedicated to your honor as soon as those beans get here. ; )

on to the show!!!!! :headbange