What's new

"NYH" New York Haze(Piff)

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
"pif" and "uptown haze" are synonymous and are both a haze, at least the stuff I get. A member here started a thread about this way back and found Mango Haze to be a very close high to "pif."

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
LMFAO at people who think the nyc piff is laced with crack and dope.... Reading that crap kinda pissed me off. I have smoked many onces of piff and never once found any traces of any other drug.

Agreed. My friends and I would be THRILLED if we received *free* crack or cocaine with our bud. Unfortunately most dealers don't find this cost effective, especially in NY where demand far exceeds supply.

piff and haze aren't always the same depends on how straight your connect is... a lot of piff is a lower "faze" = fake haze. even a lot of the faze is potent and a 2-3 hit high... the real uptown haze is easily a one-hitter... not exaggerating when i say i saw two experienced smokers who had never encountered the strain before put down a j of it.. this was about about 6-9 weeks ago time is distorted by green

leotriboo

hahah uptown 165st and Fort Washington theres some Dominicans niggas by the hospital their shit its official!! the reall deal 25 a gram from 11 to 5 pm Monday to Friday ( yeayoo ) they come in the wip with a laptop stash box and different strains 50 $ form and 1/8 but its mad chill, you gen get ounces for 420 $ and mixed buds if you want , theres mad people at the hospital all the time , take the sub 2 right there on Broadway go right back to the hood , all the way to the last stop 223 and white plains rd or Blunt ride the way back on the cross Bronx get in the saw mill pkwy and easy on the state troopers they are out there deep !!! what out NYC its crazy , TNT and the narcs (undercover , yellow taxis)out there every Thursday night crazy , the Block its hot all day everyday even the PM hallway dealers are geeting busted
mad crackheads snitching for one hit or two , they get you in the sell , mark money come and jump on you there it goo , straight to central booking , 2 days until you see a judge ,and them if you dint bail out or maybe have a hold or some shit pending you fuck , if you don't go straight to rikers island you might stay in the thumbs for like 2 weeks ( sweet mad weed in there in you placed in AA classification you with the big sharks smoking and living good if you know where you stand and how you act ) so yeah fuck the piff in NYC , GEttt the fuck away from Harlem ,,Westchester county omfkinggod do even go near by anywhere there just avoid it because the system its dirty !

Pablo Sanchez

Piff / Hayze and Sour Diesel

Piff / Hayze and Sour Diesel

Yea, the Piff / Hayze is some good stuff. Its just hard to get your hands on some real good Hayze now and days. Most of the "Hayze available turns out to be stringy and weak. Never cured right. I feel like Sour Diesel is whats happening here in the city, and thats becoming hard to get a hold of too. "Real Sour Diesal"...tons of people claim to have Sour, but its always some fake Sour. Its rare to get that real NYC Diesel. Same as the Real Uptown Piff/Hayze...:headbange

Kupcha

hahah uptown 165st and Fort Washington theres some Dominicans niggas by the hospital their shit its official!! the reall deal 25 a gram from 11 to 5 pm Monday to Friday ( yeayoo ) they come in the wip with a laptop stash box and different strains 50 $ form and 1/8 but its mad chill, you gen get ounces for 420 $ and mixed buds if you want , theres mad people at the hospital all the time , take the sub 2 right there on Broadway go right back to the hood , all the way to the last stop 223 and white plains rd or Blunt ride the way back on the cross Bronx get in the saw mill pkwy and easy on the state troopers they are out there deep !!! what out NYC its crazy , TNT and the narcs (undercover , yellow taxis)out there every Thursday night crazy , the Block its hot all day everyday even the PM hallway dealers are geeting busted
mad crackheads snitching for one hit or two , they get you in the sell , mark money come and jump on you there it goo , straight to central booking , 2 days until you see a judge ,and them if you dint bail out or maybe have a hold or some shit pending you fuck , if you don't go straight to rikers island you might stay in the thumbs for like 2 weeks ( sweet mad weed in there in you placed in AA classification you with the big sharks smoking and living good if you know where you stand and how you act ) so yeah fuck the piff in NYC , GEttt the fuck away from Harlem ,,Westchester county omfkinggod do even go near by anywhere there just avoid it because the system its dirty !

............what?

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
I lived in NYC for 3 months. I remember when people tell me how fucking BOMB the chicken and rice cart was on 45th and 6th. It was SO BOMB that people wait hours just to get the stuff at 3 AM, and that there have been stabbings resulting from people cutting in line. Wow, must be good chicken, right?

So one night after a lot of drinking (optimal chicken and rice time) I decided to try some out as it was right near my hotel. It was really good chicken and rice, and the white sauce was good too, but it wasn't the bomb-diculous-obnoxious everyone was talking about. It seemed the man who was stabbed years back died in vein.

Quintessential NYC imho - all hype no deliver. I've never tried "piff" or "NYH" but I bet you could find comparable stuff in a reputable SF or LA dispensary.

I grew up in Sherman ave and there's no mystery or hype to this divine botanical. I've been to L.A. and Amsterdam and there's nothing quite comparable to what we get up in the Washington Heights as far as hazes go. Not insinuating that there wasn't anything good out in other places, but indeed not as special. To my knowledge this cut originally came from the Cubans down in Florida and will grow it out and ship it to the Dominicans up in the heights. This was back in the late 90's. In Miami they call it "Crippy". I went and visited my cousin who's from Hialeah Florida. He told me he was going to get me some "Crippy". When i got there and he blessed me with the bag and I opened it up. The same exact aroma that of the haze from the block. Smoke tested and it was one in the same. It's very commendable on the research and everyone's input on tracing the origins of these unique traits of this particular haze.

stomachpain

Upstate dude. Haven't had it in years. Would love to taste and smell "grandmas basement" again. mid 2000's .8 for $20 and glad to pay it.
Had it once his year and need it back in my life. Genetic trades maybe?

mrOJ

most cubans in FL switched up to sour for quicker turnover on a more sought after strain, n keep the black haze for headstash... if it does go anywhere its to Dyckman for top dollar. nothing like the haze. JJs african haze is supposed to be very siimilar to that catpiss piff.

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
I grew up in Sherman ave and there's no mystery or hype to this divine botanical. I've been to L.A. and Amsterdam and there's nothing quite comparable to what we get up in the Washington Heights as far as hazes go. Not insinuating that there wasn't anything good out in other places, but indeed not as special. To my knowledge this cut originally came from the Cubans down in Florida and will grow it out and ship it to the Dominicans up in the heights. This was back in the late 90's. In Miami they call it "Crippy". I went and visited my cousin who's from Hialeah Florida. He told me he was going to get me some "Crippy". When i got there and he blessed me with the bag and I opened it up. The same exact aroma that of the haze from the block. Smoke tested and it was one in the same. It's very commendable on the research and everyone's input on tracing the origins of these unique traits of this particular haze.

I used to hit Sherman and nagle first but even then u had to shop around bc sometimes it was wet or wouldn't stay lit or the smell was weak ..this Florida theory to me makes a lot of sense and the cut coming up or seed but till this day no one can say for sure if the heights were producing + importing the haze or just import ....it was to much diff blocks with haze consistently ..it's like Florida was like our personal California before the gold rush

There's some facts to back up the Florida claim tho ..Kareem Biggs Burke who was 1/3 of rocafella records founder was HUGE in the mid 90s to mid 2000s having amassed a serious power in the music industry and making millions was indicted for bringing up millions worth of high grade bud from Florida in tractor trailers thru his companies ..it's all on Google ..all headed to NYC

most cubans in FL switched up to sour for quicker turnover on a more sought after strain, n keep the black haze for headstash... if it does go anywhere its to Dyckman for top dollar. nothing like the haze. JJs african haze is supposed to be very siimilar to that catpiss piff.

I tried explaining this in that sour thread ..they switched to sour and ran that for a while but now I'm seeing a lot of sour og or sour crossed to some type of chem ..to bring down the flower time

killa-bud

Veteran
Kareem Biggs Burke who was 1/3 of rocafella records founder was HUGE in the mid 90s to mid 2000s having amassed a serious power in the music industry and making millions was indicted for bringing up millions worth of high grade bud from Florida in tractor trailers thru his companies ..it's all on Google ..all headed to NYC
that's interesting...this is from an article regarding that incident

Perez, who was looking for new contacts after some of his South Florida suppliers were busted

maybe why it's so scarce now? even bruke couldn't get it anymore

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ested-ny-marijuana-ring-bust-article-1.189749

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
that's interesting...this is from an article regarding that incident

Perez, who was looking for new contacts after some of his South Florida suppliers were busted

maybe why it's so scarce now? even bruke couldn't get it anymore

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ested-ny-marijuana-ring-bust-article-1.189749

Cliff notes : they had the growers in Florida
-teamed up brung it to NYC where it was split into 3 parts (makes a whole lot of sense now) 1.the heights 2.autobaun 3.brigss (downtown bx) ..I'm guessing ..he picked up money from inwood when he was caught and inwood basically is the name for the first 2 areas on a map
Manny Perez ie Latino was in charge and being that that area is dominated by Latinos ..

But to be from the city they REALLY had a strong hold on the game

This article pretty much sums it all up where the haze was from and who brung it in ..we all knew that Florida was the spot after he got busted but it was the end of a era at that time already ..the shift to sour d was happening although we were still years out but the purples and OGs started to trickle in by 02/03 -05/06 6400lb+ resale was normal for og and sour ..I must say the OGs were way less diluted back then but that's another story ..the purples was fazing out and by 05 nobody wanted it ..we did see a gold rush in 05-07 where I was seeing catpiss , green crack , grand daddy purple ,blueberry etc ..but in 2010 the game had a whole new look and real haze was long gone

Amsterdab16

Wow, fascinating stuff read through this whole damn thread.

My thoughts, as someone who spent a lot of time in Brooklyn ca. summer 2008 - summer 2010, I have some experience with this "bud from the boroughs".

As far as the haze go, there were never any distinct pickups sold as haze that really stuck out to me, maybe one or two, but they've been lost in my hazy memory of oh so long ago.

The better, more noteworthy buds I sampled in my time in the boroughs were "Sours" or "Sour Deez", sometimes legit labelled as such, other times not. The best specimens of this strain family though were indeed some of the most flavorful and exotically aromatic buds I found up to that point in the States. I callled the smell profile "big city bud" because to that point I'd only found similarly exotic funk out of Houston, TX.

As for the "Piff" terminology debate, I'll have to chime in that at least in BK by the time I arrived, Piff was not indicative of a specific strain (i.e. uptown haze) but rather the level of quality, dealer would say "regs or piff?" for example. Thus, in my somewhat limited experience Piff was always a quality spectrum rather than a designated strain.

Lastly, having spent enough time out West since then (Washington State) and now residing here in Amsterdam, I don't think there was any bud in NY that was better than the most elite shit I smoked in either Seattle or Amsterdam (for the most elite shit in those cities indeed the best there was a noticeable cut above 99.99% of NYC bud). If I'm honest I think the hype built up about it on this thread is a bit of home biased romanticization of NYC bud, if you really think the best out West isn't on that level now?! Please! (and yes I've tried the real "church", I know that distinct incense smell that has been so over-discussed here)

Back to the haze discussion, here in Amsterdam, much like NY, Haze is one of the local favorites although as this thread has revealed the haze in Dam is much different and less atypical. The hazes here that are most prevalent are Super Silver Haze, Amnesia Haze and Super Lemon Haze. All the hazes around here, exhibit a sweet, candy-like, citric-lemony smell, and are usually pretty vibrant lime green, at times darker, but always absolutely dusted in trichs. I think the NY one from my memory was more sandalwoody, vaguely, although I recall more the church smell as mentioned above, from the actual burning L.

I think as alluded to on the final page, the Uptown Haze, may be this Florida developed "Black Haze" which was then brought to the tri-state via the cuban/dominican connection.

Any fascinating stuff!

bigherb

Veteran
Amsterdab

To each there own but you have to realize it's who you know

NYC has some of the best pizza in the states but your not going to get the best slice walking in just any pizzeria . Italy has some of the best pasta but there's many tourist traps with average food

2008 is 10 yrs after I first smoked Uptown Haze , the quantity of quality dropped drastically around 03 ish . IMO its clear whoever you bought Piff from is a bad connect as they are younger most likely don't know quality and have no knowledge of piff . It's a uptown term I never heard it till probably 03/04 and the cats in the heights at the time where calling it piffington aka Haze/ piff from Washington heights . Dipset made the term piff popular but it's not who I first heard it from , do the math dipset is from Harlem right next to the heights .

What we do agree on is Adam Haze anint nothing like Uptown Haze

Just had to drop some history , I'm someone who was there

1luvbigherb

Amsterdab16

Amsterdab

To each there own but you have to realize it's who you know

NYC has some of the best pizza in the states but your not going to get the best slice walking in just any pizzeria . Italy has some of the best pasta but there's many tourist traps with average food

2008 is 10 yrs after I first smoked Uptown Haze , the quantity of quality dropped drastically around 03 ish . IMO its clear whoever you bought Piff from is a bad connect as they are younger most likely don't know quality and have no knowledge of piff . It's a uptown term I never heard it till probably 03/04 and the cats in the heights at the time where calling it piffington aka Haze/ piff from Washington heights . Dipset made the term piff popular but it's not who I first heard it from , do the math dipset is from Harlem right next to the heights .

What we do agree on is Adam Haze anint nothing like Uptown Haze

Just had to drop some history , I'm someone who was there

1luvbigherb

Bad connect?! Please, I most certainly did not (was not and am not a "herb") as you said the haze was maybe past it's golden days at that point. But I was still getting grade-A nuggest of sours and kushes.

Such rhetoric also comes with "obsoletion" of strains. Not to call haze obsolete, far from it, but by the time the 2010s rolled around the weed-scene had changed drastically from what it was a decade before. Weeds above 20% THC back then were more of an anomaly, now out west they have things surpassing 30% thc allegedly. So maybe some of those "black haze" cuts were superior back in the day, but I guarantee they wouldn't surpass the 25% THC bud found out west these days...

I used to laud NYC bud as being better than elsewhere as much as the next guys, but after I started meeting better connects elsewhere I realized just as good bud could be had anywhere else and was in much better price and abundance in other places I spent time - Washington State, Barcelona & Amsterdam.

All places I find cheaper (and on average) much better bud than in NY. That's not to say the best in NY can't hang with the best anywhere. But for those top 1% strains/individual samples those are gonna come from Western states, and will be as strong if not stronger than any Piff ever was.

While we agree that the hazes between Dam and NY are different I personally prefer and find danker and much tastier the Dutch hazes. Most certainly all the other places mentioned have better pricing than NY too, what's good bud go for in the city these days?

bigherb

Veteran
Bad connect?! Please, I most certainly did not (was not and am not a "herb") as you said the haze was maybe past it's golden days at that point. But I was still getting grade-A nuggest of sours and kushes.

Such rhetoric also comes with "obsoletion" of strains. Not to call haze obsolete, far from it, but by the time the 2010s rolled around the weed-scene had changed drastically from what it was a decade before. Weeds above 20% THC back then were more of an anomaly, now out west they have things surpassing 30% thc allegedly. So maybe some of those "black haze" cuts were superior back in the day, but I guarantee they wouldn't surpass the 25% THC bud found out west these days...

I used to laud NYC bud as being better than elsewhere as much as the next guys, but after I started meeting better connects elsewhere I realized just as good bud could be had anywhere else and was in much better price and abundance in other places I spent time - Washington State, Barcelona & Amsterdam.

All places I find cheaper (and on average) much better bud than in NY. That's not to say the best in NY can't hang with the best anywhere. But for those top 1% strains/individual samples those are gonna come from Western states, and will be as strong if not stronger than any Piff ever was.

While we agree that the hazes between Dam and NY are different I personally prefer and find danker and much tastier the Dutch hazes. Most certainly all the other places mentioned have better pricing than NY too, what's good bud go for in the city these days?

I'm not trying to argue or offend just calling it how it is

To be honest brother , I think the Sour n Kush became bastardized around the 08-10 era , soo if that's your first experience you probably didn't smoke the real . The Rez sours ecsd the bs Kush's aka hybrid of a hybrid became common as everybody was trying to cash in on the hype . Sour n Kush still flood NYC but unless you have the connect it anint Diesel aka Chem91 soo much Kush but unless you know the guy it anint OGkush

Your point about THC percentage shows more of your mindset . If you were talking about weed from the 70's compared to Today there is some relevance in the fact of the shipping and how it lost THC and terpenes in packing and shipping . While I'm not from the era I still believe some 70's land races blew today's hybrids out the box . Because it's not all about THC % it's about combination of different terpenes and THC much of today's strains are all soo similar and shuffled because they are breed toward everything but a complex high to appease a indoor market who cares about one thing the dirty dollar

Kush and sour is a mark for you they have been the top of the major market for a long while . Well if you know the history they both date back to the early 90's possibly earlier . It's not that high THC wasn't around before it just wasn't as abundant as today is the case .Haze is from the 70's still in high demand Rks from the 80's still being chased

Some of the best I've smoked where no name strains , most strains are similiar nowadays its sad . Not to say we have the best I've never been to Cali and know it's there ,but it makes its way here . NYC has always had the best of everything we will always have the best of everything . It's who you know it's sometimes are you willing to spend . A major trading port shipping port a major city with major money . You need it we got it

1luvbigherb

Amsterdab16

I'm not trying to argue or offend just calling it how it is

To be honest brother , I think the Sour n Kush became bastardized around the 08-10 era , soo if that's your first experience you probably didn't smoke the real . The Rez sours ecsd the bs Kush's aka hybrid of a hybrid became common as everybody was trying to cash in on the hype . Sour n Kush still flood NYC but unless you have the connect it anint Diesel aka Chem91 soo much Kush but unless you know the guy it anint OGkush

Your point about THC percentage shows more of your mindset . If you were talking about weed from the 70's compared to Today there is some relevance in the fact of the shipping and how it lost THC and terpenes in packing and shipping . While I'm not from the era I still believe some 70's land races blew today's hybrids out the box . Because it's not all about THC % it's about combination of different terpenes and THC much of today's strains are all soo similar and shuffled because they are breed toward everything but a complex high to appease a indoor market who cares about one thing the dirty dollar

Kush and sour is a mark for you they have been the top of the major market for a long while . Well if you know the history they both date back to the early 90's possibly earlier . It's not that high THC wasn't around before it just wasn't as abundant as today is the case .Haze is from the 70's still in high demand Rks from the 80's still being chased

Some of the best I've smoked where no name strains , most strains are similiar nowadays its sad . Not to say we have the best I've never been to Cali and know it's there ,but it makes its way here . NYC has always had the best of everything we will always have the best of everything . It's who you know it's sometimes are you willing to spend . A major trading port shipping port a major city with major money . You need it we got it

1luvbigherb

Perhaps I should have been more articulate. When I sound "sours" and "kushes" put in more Brooklyn-esque street terms I was indeed referring to all the bastardizations therein between those two strain families. As you said further below yourself, some of the best are no name strains. And lets be honest for the most part outside of medical/west-coast states (and to some degree here Amsterdam and even in Barcelona), unless you grew it yourself or are close buds with the grower than it's a crapshoot whether or not you're getting the strain you're sold the name as. Of course I'm sure you've been a self-sufficient gardener in your day, or have been in the know so that may have been no problem for you. But a lot of this thread is about street copping off the block, so a bit of a different story there for sure ya know?

Nonetheless I was in NY I always judged off things primarily such as flavor, bagsmell, transfer of bag-smell to taste - cure etc. And then potency and complexity of the high, ect. I only brought THC content into the fray because everybody in their mom was swearing up and down with slang like "yo fall back son" (the way of speaking shows its all native NY'ers too), ain't nothing in cali or dam as strong as this stuff, blablabla - I guarantee at this point at best the finest NYC has to offer is right on par, (maybe a split hair below) the best in a state like Colorado or Washington, and as you alluded it makes its way out to the East Coast (and everywhere else as well, that's how I procured dank in other states), so its still West Coast grown at the end of the day.

Anyway I'm sure you've done your time gardening so you have plenty of knowledge about the herb, and different genetics etc, so your points are plenty valid, and appreciated. For one I'm not disputing that there is not also a reverse trend by many devoted growers to preserving old-school and landrace genetics, ultimately all of these differences can be settled by the notion that variety is the spice of life, so lets sample some flavors and get high! :biggrin:

I guess I just dug up this thread because haze is also really popular here in Amsterdam (still) and the only other place I remembered living in the US where there was such a "haze craze" was in NY, but I recalled the difference of the haze I found there, wish I could sample it again with my refined weed palate to give it a better assessment...ah to dream. OneLove Bigherb

bigherb

Veteran
One love my brother

In terms of Haze I still live by if it anint church it anint Fire . Variety is the spice of life that's why this ICmag Fam is soo special because we are worldwide (maybe universal some cats seem other worldly lol) We have different views due to different experience . We all have a preference we all have a Grail mines is Frankie's

1luvbigherb