What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NY wants to pay people 50% of ticket revenue for tipping authorities

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Think the bill offers 50% of ticket value.

Bill would offer money for video footage of idling vehicles

http://nypost.com/2015/03/10/bill-would-offer-money-for-video-footage-of-idling-vehicles/

If you see something, they’ll pay something. Two city lawmakers want to recruit everyday New Yorkers to help battle the scourge of idling vehicles by paying them for video footage that results in fines.

City Council members Helen Rosenthal (D-Manhattan) and Donovan Richards (D-Queens) will introduce a bill Wednesday that would give citizens up to 50 percent of the summons revenue if they catch someone breaking the idling law, take a video and submit it to the Department of Environmental Protection.
The exact cut for videographers would be determined by the DEP, they said. But citizen enforcers could makes hundreds — even thousands — of dollars.

The bill would keep first-time idling violations punishable by just a warning, but would boost fines for second offenses to between $350 and $1,500.

Any subsequent violations within a two-year period would yield even heftier fines of between $440 and $2,000.
Citizens seeking to cash in on their videos would first have to undergo training by the DEP, which would be offered five days per year under current plans.

“On my block alone, I could produce 20 tickets a day, easily,” said banker George Pakenham, an anti-idling advocate who made a documentary on the issue called “Idle Threat” in 2012.
He says that he has documented his own encounters with roughly 2,900 idlers over a five-year period, and that he was successful in getting 80 percent of them to turn off their engines by pointing out the environmental impact and the city laws.

“This is going to be the thing that makes the entire difference,” Pakenham said of the bill. “This will be just the tonic to have people engaged and earn a great deal of money along the way.”
According to council documents, idling limits of three minutes have been in place in the city since 1971. The restrictions were recently shortened to just one minute for vehicles standing in front of schools.

But data show that despite repeated efforts by lawmakers to toughen the law, enforcement has remained sporadic at best.
In 2002, 325 idling violations were issued by three city agencies combined, while 526 violations were issued in 2007, according to council records.

Last year, just 209 violations were issued — yielding a paltry $93,010 in total fines, according to the Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings.

“We can pass these laws, we’ve strengthened the fines . . . but the real problem is enforcement,” said Rosenthal. “You’re obviously upping the interest by having people share in the fine.”
She said her office has fielded hoards of complaints about tour buses that linger in front of the Upper West Side’s Dakota Building, where John Lennon was killed.

“It’s been such a challenge to get police or DEP enforcement out there,” Rosenthal said.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Paid informants for civil infractions huh? What a world!

yeah but it's some of the worst and most avoidable pollution.

what happened to think green? does it get chucked out the window because a govt agency could use some help? haven't we been turning in polluters for decades??? it's the right thing to do.......

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
snitches get stiches....that money will be needed for your medical bills and recovery if you make it...yeehaw

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
3 minutes or less idle time...fuck da city and new York...I can let my ride idle till it runs out of gas here....yeehaw...yes I let my car idle ..most engine wear happens during startup ..having a pre oiler or using lucas addative helps..

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
yeah but it's some of the worst and most avoidable pollution.

what happened to think green? does it get chucked out the window because a govt agency could use some help? haven't we been turning in polluters for decades??? it's the right thing to do.......

Where are the incentives to have joe public rat out corporate america?

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

the public have gone after polluters and been satisfied to have the fines paid to the govt, those are big polluters, in this scenario it needs to be on a small case by case basis and the govt's willing to share in their fines.

whistleblowers Weird, whistleblower statutes are the incentives to rat out the suits

K

kopite

Where are the incentives to have joe public rat out corporate america?

It's like the thing in the UK, grass up the poor if you think they are "robbing" benefits but leave the corps and rich to do as they please.. it's one way traffic and it's getting worse.. just got to wonder what the tipping point actually is..

the incentive?idiots are gonna make a living doing this.stereotype:40 to 60 year old bitter dirvorced man and stay at home soccer moms who need to be pissed at something.this shit is gonna take off.i bet every major city will be doing this soon enough.whats worse is the burden off pollution is going on everybody when its clear that our culture has been enslaved to live this way and pollute.trybto just go out in the woods somewhere and live off the grid.its way harder to accomplish than living the destructive sedentary life we all lead

by the way 1 airplane puts more polutants in the air in 1 hour than an idling car would do in 1 year.how many planes are cruising through the sky pon any given day?who uses airplanes to get around?poor people?in think not its the rich who travel the sky but they dont need to be held responsible it should go on the everyday poor american.why do i live in this country?slavery never died thats why.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
you want to help with smog start with big industry and stop letting them cheat ...leave us the fuck alone... .. I know about how smog stuff works when I got my smog liscense here in cali back in 2005...I cant wait to get another smog exempt ride...looking at mid 60s or earlier... I plan on dumping lots of hydrocarbons out my exhaust and then making flames...yeehaw..don't tailgate me

sutra1

having lived in the City for a good chunk of my life, I can tell you its pretty goddamned frustrating to live in a garden, 1st or 2nd floor apt in the summer and having black cars, school buses, or commuter buses idling out side yer place. I'm not with ratting on people, but it is a huge issue and needs to be handled.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
picture.php