What's new

Noticed something kind of cool - I think?

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Thanks Granger2 and Seamaiden, I guess we will just have to try it out for ourselves to see the impact it has, but like you said Seamaiden, it is very hard to get things timed properly.

Cannabloomer, glad you enjoyed the thread and I will try to update when I pop my old seeds, half with my funky method and half just soaking. Hopefully with a larger number of seeds I will be able to see how beneficial it is.

TGT

floral

Interesting. I have used sandpaper and soaking as a germination aid for lupine seeds but will keep this in mind in the future.

Littleleaf

Veteran
I use the Farmers' Almanac Gardening Calender. Just go to the Farmers' Almanac web site and hit the gardening calender link.

Do you really beleive the lunar cycle will have an effect on seed germination? Not saying I don't believe, especially coming from someone as experienced as yourself, but it just seems like hocus pokus to me. Like I said, thats just my though at the time having no experience of knowledge on the facts, so please enlighten me. I am very interested, thanks!

TGT

S

SeaMaiden

Interesting. I have used sandpaper and soaking as a germination aid for lupine seeds but will keep this in mind in the future.

Is that what I need to do to get mine to sprout? Jeez! no wonder.

shmalphy

Veteran
I have always done this. The person who taught me how to grow way back when used to get $1000's of dollars in seed and hand split every one of them... His reasoning was that these are not products of natural selection, and sometimes the most desirable plant doesn't have the trait that makes it a strong sprouter...

First you remove the husk, then scratch the endosperm and it slides off. His tip was to do it nice and gentle, like you are removing a girl's panties...

Vhghost

i just sprouted 6 seeds that where made in 02 so that i could preserve some of the genetics that i used to run...... all six are doing well... but it took 24 hours in water, 24hours in wet paper towel.... and some "help" to remove the husks ....
worked well... tweezers are really handy.
great job! i really don't see a problem with a little encouragement lol

Penguin59

Hi TGT! Have heard of this pre-cracking method used many times.

Next time you don't have to use your teeth, just slit the side of the seeds with a razor and then squeeze the seeds between your thumb and forefinger on the right pressure point until they crack slightly and then just soak them as normal.

Another method I've heard of is to rough up the outer shell of the seeds with a bit of sandpaper and then soak them. The roughness that's created allows water to enter the inner sanctum of the seed more easily and activates the seedling inside.

With older or tightly sealed seeds, sometimes you have to give a bit of a helping hand to get them moving!

S

SeaMaiden

I wish I were that coordinated, Penguin. Next time I have tough to pop beans, I'm getting you to come slit my beans.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Thanks Penguin59, I'll try it that way and see which way is easier.

TGT

Penguin59

Haha slittin' the beans hey SeaMaiden?

Yeh whichever way works best for ya TGT. Have some 2.5 year old DJ Short Blueberry beans in my freezer that I want to pop on my next run.

idiit

Veteran
i've got superthrive, dmso, gibberillic acid and h202. i've got several hundred u-dub ( very elite university of washington clone) hybrid seeds that were stored in a vacuum sealed mason jar "seeded bud" for 20 years ( they were dated on top lid) from a friend who's dad grew what we later found out from a ic forum member were probably u-dub cones. the clones did come from uw.

i would really like some to pop. so far nota. i've got lots to experiment with.

i've tried cracking lengthwise on several batches. the insides of most are still moist white embryos.

if i get some to sprout i'll report back my technique.

hopefully someone will post positive results with technique used on really really old seeds.

highonmt

Veteran
i've got superthrive, dmso, gibberillic acid and h202. i've got several hundred u-dub ( very elite university of washington clone) hybrid seeds that were stored in a vacuum sealed mason jar "seeded bud" for 20 years ( they were dated on top lid) from a friend who's dad grew what we later found out from a ic forum member were probably u-dub cones. the clones did come from uw.

i would really like some to pop. so far nota. i've got lots to experiment with.

i've tried cracking lengthwise on several batches. the insides of most are still moist white embryos.

if i get some to sprout i'll report back my technique.

hopefully someone will post positive results with technique used on really really old seeds.

I have cracked the seed "seam" open to aid slow sprouters in fact I did this last week on a slow bean. If you have old seeds I would just sand the seam until visibly thin. Removing the seed contents seems a bit risky to me. If it works for some that's fine but if you scarify the seed well there is no need for the extra risk imo. Interesting thread tho. I recently sprouted some 20yo beans by just scarifying and using a warm wet paper towel. I am a big fan of using a black dvd case and wet towel under a light to bring the temp to 77-80f . I got 50% plus in 24hrs on the first try with my old g13 crosses. If they were my u-dub beans that would be my first choice.
HM

S

scai

About that moon.
I live in a area where very old people belive in moon cycles.
Xmas trees will be cut to "upmoon", logs will be made same way.
And they explain, that's a time when sap is rising, and plant has everything it needs, when cut.
Sounds reasonable.
And I must say, cut to upmoon, they don't rot, they keep their needles well, etc...

So much old knowledge is forgotten when there is no one to listen.

Old people have very much interesting thoughts how you make treshold wood, few years before you put it in its place, how outer lining in houses is done the right way,if you use wood for lining.How you make wooden roof, so that it doesn't leek, conducts water right way....all that.

Docteur

Nice info guys

Agricultural astrology is the oldest form of astrology

Poultry farmers set their eggs to hatch when there is a new moon the chicks come out healthier, same with seeds should apply

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Fascinating thread. Thanks guys.

When I got my DUI the cop who took my prints said that it was a busy night because of the full moon.

S

scai

There is much wisdom in old sayings too.They have solid base.
Mad hatter? Yes, they used to use quicksilver in process...it affected.
Good water in a well that has frogs? Yes frogs emit substances that kill bacteria...

Maybe, just maybe, we should listen elders ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts