What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not sure what the problem is...

Mr. J

Yall need to try to help him or STFU and go away.
I'm trying. He needs to read a book and then he needs to start over.
I agree though that some people come off a bit dickish in this thread.

Last edited:

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
To all concerned! I planted a bean and its not working out! Now what? Go to school!

OP: Please list yor references here a pic is worth 1K words.

Lol, this is quite the infirmary...for those who care, the very first thing I did was feed these plants, because obviously chlorosis tends to point to nitrogen deficiency, so they got a dose of Alaska Fish Fertilizer (5-1-1) at their next feeding, which also got PH'ed, they then got up-potted into those recycled grocery bags, each holding between 2-4 gallons of soil & I got an inkird hygrometer to keep the VPD in check, and they haven't improved at all...so you tell me what that means.

And if I need to read a book be specific, say exactly what book I need to read, because I've probably already read it, and if I haven't I will.

The generic LED I'm using is something like this, though a different wattage:

LED Grow Light Bulb
picture.php

And it is really just a supplemental light for the two high output T5 veg lights (which I don't really understand why I'm being ridiculed for this early veg setup).

Last edited:

Mr. J

I think your mistake was putting them straight into those really big pots. I think you would have been better off planting up one size bigger, maybe a 6 inch pot.

Sometimes it takes a few days for things to improve after a feeding, especially if the pots are already wet before feeding. You want wet/dry cycles to establish strong roots and planting in those giant bags leaves you with not much control of your medium and rootzone. That makes correcting deficiencies/overfeeding much more difficult for you.

I still say your initial problem was underfeeding.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No my frustration with OP is from the prior two threads that he got a room full of great minds together and some how didn't listen or read or comprehend.

I KNEW I'd see him in the infirmary. I almost started a betting pool, but thought it rude.

I've provided an endless array of information to be told "I already knew all that" - and well, here we are.

...but thanks anyway for the suggestion that I've already stated I was utilizing.

Quite obviously, he and I are, however, doing something different. My plants grow.

picture.php

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Mr. J

I thought maybe that was part of the problem. Too many cooks. The "read a book" thing wasn't a recommendation for any particular book, what I meant was that he needs to get back to the basics of gardening because his plants look very, very sad. But now he wants a specific book, so I don't know anymore.

indagroove

Veteran
Making your own soil isn't for noobs. My suggestion would be to start fresh with some Ocean Forest potting soil, and keep the variables to a minimum until you get the basic hang of things. You might be able to save those plants, but they look pretty bad at this point, and are likely to be slow to recover, if they do at all.

Mr. J

If it is overfeeding then tell me how he's supposed to fix things in those ginormous pots? If he tries to flush he's gonna drown them and they'll rot before they dry again. Those pots are making it impossible to fix anything because there aren't even any roots in the pot.
Honestly I think a lot of people worry too much about things that don't matter as much as they think they do. I currently have volunteer plants flourishing in my backyard. The plants grow themselves, all you need to do is provide some very basic conditions.

I know guys with every bottle of every product in the grow store and I can still grow better plants with dirt from my back yard and dollar store 15-30-15, with my eyes closed. Because I have the basics down.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Making your own soil isn't for noobs.

I disagree. Follow the instructions in my sticky (link in the lower right corner) - and if you've never grown a single plant in your entire life - you can and will produce the exact same quality and volume of cannabis I manage after nearly 20 years of this hobby.

Now, that's not to insinuate it's the BEST...that's subjective. I do however, have success. My plants make it out of the vegetative cycle and they produce a viable crop.

Something to perhaps be considered as relevant, given the circumstances.

dank.Frank

G

Gauss

If it is overfeeding then tell me how he's supposed to fix things in those ginormous pots? If he tries to flush he's gonna drown them and they'll rot before they dry again. Those pots are making it impossible to fix anything because there aren't even any roots in the pot.
Honestly I think a lot of people worry too much about things that don't matter as much as they think they do. I currently have volunteer plants flourishing in my backyard. The plants grow themselves, all you need to do is provide some very basic conditions.

I know guys with every bottle of every product in the grow store and I can still grow better plants with dirt from my back yard and dollar store 15-30-15, with my eyes closed. Because I have the basics down.

Are you talking to me because you did not read my entire post and comprehend what I said, like you didn't read the entire OP?

indagroove

Veteran
I disagree. Follow the instructions in my sticky (link in the lower right corner) - and if you've never grown a single plant in your entire life - you can and will produce the exact same quality and volume of cannabis I manage after nearly 20 years of this hobby.

Now, that's not to insinuate it's the BEST...that's subjective. I do however, have success. My plants make it out of the vegetative cycle and they produce a viable crop.

Something to perhaps be considered as relevant, given the circumstances.

dank.Frank

Sure, and any idiot can bake a loaf of bread given the proper ingredients and recipe. But one shouldn't go baking bread if they can't yet make toast.

Mattbho

How long has this problem been going on?
What STRAIN are you growing?
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
What is the age of your plants?
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?
Were they in the same mixture when they were seedlings/smaller plant? If not, what mixture were they in before?
How Tall are the plants?
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using? (SOG,*SCROG*etc)
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
What brand Nutrient's are you using?
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
How often are you feeding?
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
What is the*pH*of the "RUN-OFF"?
How often are you testing*pH/ppm/EC/TDS?*
What method of*pH*test was administered? Using Strips?*pH*pen?
How often are you watering?
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
What size bulb are you using?
How old is your bulbs?
What is the distance to the canopy?
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
What is the canopy temperature?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?(Only if you have a tds pen)
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?(Only if you have a tds pen)
Are you using water from a water softener?*
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
Are plant's infected with pest's?

How long has this problem been going on?
Several weeks...
What STRAIN are you growing?
Random bagseed...
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
Seed
What is the age of your plants?
5-6 weeks.
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?
2 weeks.
Were they in the same mixture when they were seedlings/smaller plant? If not, what mixture were they in before?
No, this mix is LC's amended mix, as seedlings they were just in LC's Base Mix.
How Tall are the plants?
4"-18"
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
Vegetative.
What Technique are you using? (SOG,*SCROG*etc)
These are intended to be mother plants so they aren't particularly being trained.
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
Prior to transplant they were in 18oz. red Solo cups, now they are in recycled fabric grocery bags that hold 3-5 gallons of soil.
What substrate/medium are you using?
Soil.
What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
LC's Soiless Mix #1 (3 parts Peat, 2 parts Coir, 2 parts Perlite, 1 part Vermiculite, 2 parts worm castings, Oyster Shell Flour @ 2 tablespoons per gallon, Blood Meal @ 1 tablespoon per gallon, Bone meal @ 2 tablespoons per gallon, Kelp Meal @ 1 tablespoon per gallon)
What brand Nutrient's are you using?
Real Growers ReCharge & Alaska Fish Fertilizer.
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
Used standard dosage on AFF once, and used Real Growers ReCharge at 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.
How often are you feeding?
Once/week.
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
N/A
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
N/A
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
Not sure, only used nutes once, didn't test PPM.
What is the*pH*of the "RUN-OFF"?
Not sure, haven't been testing (or getting runoff since I transplanted).
How often are you testing*pH/ppm/EC/TDS?*
Every watering.
What method of*pH*test was administered? Using Strips?*pH*pen?
Both.
How often are you watering?
Once/week.
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
Last Sunday...every Sunday.
What size bulb are you using?
Two T5HO's and a low wattage LED bulb.
How old is your bulbs?
Brand new
What is the distance to the canopy?
12"
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
72%
What is the canopy temperature?
79°F
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
79°F/75°F
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
200 cfm
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running?
Passive intake, canfan exhaust, runs when lights are on.
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
There is an oscillating fan that blows on plants.
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
Not while in the Solo cups, hard to tell in the bags.
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
I use bottled & RO water.
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
Bottled, RO & rainwater.
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?(Only if you have a tds pen)
N/A
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?(Only if you have a tds pen)
Not sure, don't currently have a ppm/tds meter.
Are you using water from a water softener?*
No.
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
No.
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
DE, Borax & BTI were used early on to control fungus gnats & ants.
Are plant's infected with pest's?
Not currently, had some fungus gnats early on.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Boron toxicity, is a possibility, from using the borax.

A little goes a very long way in soils. 2lbs for an entire acre about every 3rd year for tomatoes.

dank.Frank

Last edited: