What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not really enjoying the switch from joints to vaping

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I have to admit, now that I've transitioned entirely out of combustion, the quality of high that I consistently get is far nicer than when I smoked. I remember a lot of the time, when smoking, how that horrible ash taste towards the end of the bowl can really linger, acting a bit like a buzz kill. Or when your inhale a little ember? Prevents enjoying the high sometimes. But vaping tastes great all the way to the end. It gets a little toastier by that last puff, but it's never a buzz kill. Also, I get the euphoria regularly. The body tingles and stuff. Vaping brings that out to the fore front

Just want to encourage some of you who want to make vaping work for you. It's worth it. Keep trying. :tiphat:
Yassir! It is all a mind set. :tiphat: That being said... not all vaporizers are created equal. I will go out of my way to patronize a store that have demonstrated that they "listen" to their customers. One size does not fit all.

Egzoset

Salutations Art.Spliff,

Vaping flowers or concentrate compares favorably to smoking outside.

If it's about finding a cigarette/"joint" substitute then it shall be necessary to accept that only toxic SMOKE offers the characteristic smell, hence this may be perceived as a severe limitation in such type of hobby, while in crowded situations it actually becomes a most valuable feature: e.g. relative stealthy odor neutrality.

These days i can toke all day long and never feel concerned when i open my door to strangers, the same wouldn't apply if i hadn't quit smoking definitively over a decade ago. As a matter of fact the last time i allowed a visitor to smoke under my kitchen's extractor hood above the stove it became necessary to ventilate generously for hours...

Edibles or canna caps might be best for a steady maintenance dose.

Honestly that's a totally different experience unless it happens to share a common finality, while all other considerations turn accessorial IMO. Inhalation has characteristics with no equivalent, not to mention the hobby and associated ritual itself; alternatives may even prove unsatisfactory to ex-smokers consequently. Otherwise why not include "medicating" anal plugs as i recall such means of cannabic absorption is by-passing filter organs... Yet that's hardly reminescent of my present consumption method & ritual somehow!

:thinking:

...get away from combustion...

Be careful what you wish for, doing so causes ex-smokers to abstain from taking benefit from the addition of "Potentializing" factors to their "Release/Transport Agent", briefly put lets not under-estimate the benefits of extra-hot exhaust gases, though not as clean as those from burning butane and not even vaporized e-liquid substrates... Hence that's one good reminder to insist making a clear distinction between vaporizers and vapes or e-Cigs.

At that point it should seem somewhat more obvious why those 3 consumption methods classify on my VILIFICATION scale in this precise order, with worse on top:

• SMOKED cigarette/"joint"
  • e-Cig/e-Liquid
  • Selected vaporizer
In comparison popular "Hot Dry Air Ovenizers" with a characteristic specific heat capacity of unity just lack a "Potentializing" agent, while steam is twice dry air, meaning if we consider the minute amounts involved then the overall average rise in Vaporizers or e-Cigs may range inbetween those 2 limits, more like around a 20 ~ 30 % boost perhaps. All i know positively is that it IS a boost IMO, and i'd say THAT is one major feature present in SMOKING as well: e.g. "Potentialization" of the "Release/Transport Agent" exactly.

One other similitude that feels more compatible for substitution purposes would be related to "1-Hitter" consumption modes and rituals. Cigarettes/"joints" get consumed in pulses, essentially... While the venerable Volcano/Arizer and siblings condemn their paying victims to suck long and hard for minutes, or the "baking" which takes place between each inhalation shall cause even more Self-Vilification where none is welcome. M'well, unless the user may be willing to exchange eventual purist principles for a "CHEAT" boost effect fueled by vegetal substrate substances instead of sacred trichome glands alone (ideally...): all of it in days when the economic environment appears to demand conservative rationality, paradoxically...

What You See Is Not What You Get, Your Milage May Vary! :2cents:

Good day, have fun!! :tiphat:

Last edited:

Katsu

Veteran
I still submit that the best vaping solution is to squish the flower into rosin and do low-temp dabs. Best flavor, best high, and most discreet.

For portability, I like the MIG Brain Fogger atomizer (under $40) running at about 10W. A pea-sized rosin dab can give you a bunch of very flavorful hits and it's really easy to control (and maintain) the perfect level of "high"

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
nAWExJc.jpg

Image could be better. Flowermate V5.0S, silicone tubing, glass water pipe and masking tape.

The trick is to inhale slowly over 15-20 seconds for thick vapor minimizing hot air volume.

Egzoset

Oh, please!...

For the vaporized cannabis sessions, the Volcano Medic® (Storz and Bickel, Oakland, CA) was used to heat and aerosolize cannabis at a temperature of 204°C (400°F).

And now this, the portable version i guess... :laughing:

hazyfontazy

Veteran
Loving my boundless tera ...literally self cleaning. ..fasts heat up time ...beautifull clouds of gòoddness . Changeable batteries. .. ..

So good I sold my volcano! !!!

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Volcano hasn't come down from $400-500 price point in over ten years?!?

0.2-0.3 grams at a time is ok, what is a reasonable herb "thc" dosage, 1 gram vaporized once or twice per day? I think 0.5 gram or 5+ grams per day is ok (perhaps assisted with capsules tinctures etc) it just depends on the person. Measuring the harmful amount isn't really a moral experiment, rather people granted freedom to use at their own discretion can be observed.

Dabbing a gram or more of bho in one hit from a hot nail might be harmful, but nowhere near in the same way or severity as crack cocaine. The potential harm from the former is comparatively skating without elbow pads compared to being run over by a bus with the latter.

Citing a dose is reasonably weird with cannabis, I have a fair understanding of it myself I believe in terms of vaping or blood concentration, however the way a joint runs and continues to burn in between hits combined with technique can contribute to varying transfer efficiency thc in flower -> user ratio to thc in flower -> atmosphere or possible reduction in efficiency from combustion.

Last edited:

Egzoset

Salutations art.spliff,

You've got to be desperately all-thumbs to prefer a Volcano to the unique type of substitution experience i've suggested you with pllenty of explanatory details, though i'll admit it's a DiY challenge for VG owners willing to void the warranty...

Honestly i'd throw you BitCoins if it can prevent refering to Arizer next!

:2cents:

0.2-0.3 grams at a time is ok...

The level of aroma/taste perception i can obtain from the first 2 ~ 3 tokes (over a total of 5 ~ 6) only requires ~125 mg and there's ZERO stress between each since the bowl remains cold most of the time anyway. In comparison the balloon strategy felt most wasteful to me and this is inherently incompatible with Inlet Water applications to make it worse: imagine the germs in moist used bags! Yuk!... Which is no wonder as "Hot Dry Air Ovenizers" are fundamentally flawed by design, not to mention the associated thermalization (read "Baking") and its negative repercussions.

Alternately, my LAVA "Plan-A" (IH-driven) DiY challenge would certainly support larger bowls, layout resizing as a function of a desired WorkLoad ain't no insoluble problem IMHO. No doubt if you're contemplating Volcano-height price-tags that's no silly idea at all. But YMMV, especially when all-thumbs and all that can be done is to throw money by the window in some act of faith, or price-tag essentially.

$$$

:bow:

...it just depends on the person.

On the individual but no only: his/her selection of a consumption method CAN and WILL shape the profile while an absence of self-awareness hints actually promotes abuse, e.g. when it's much too late to think of dosage. In other words bags felt like a farce in terms of "Micro-Dosing" when i tried, because those pieces of paraphernalia capture a user's attention for minutes, so when it's finally ready the temptation certainly ain't to waste it after the 3rd puff. Instead a bag invites to empty it or it gets sticky even faster, it's a biased trade-off.

If you hadn't listened to local socialization noise (in PM background i'm sure...) then perhaps it should have been possible to remember about H2O condensing in my flexible PVC Tubing Extension, precisely. Which means the "operator" does get an opportunity to notice water droplets in that tube, since it's proportional to clean-burning butane itself a function of the toking session. The absence of hints is no freedom, it's ignorance driving people into self-vilification by over-consumption, while on the contrary, visual indicators promote a responsible consumption profile IMHO. Consequently the Volcano's association with "medical" applications just puzzles me to no end, not to mention Arizer's constant failure to address critics about sharing the lungs path with electronics hardware since at least 2008, for all i can tell. And this is only 1 other example...

Measuring the harmful amount isn't really a moral experiment, rather people granted freedom to use at their own discretion can be observed.

If that's a bullet against wireless tablet/iPhone apps i think you're missing the boat completely, yet i must remind myself that this is all new for you, right?... Too bad i keep repeating the same arguments again and again, for example the same feature in my world:
Dabbing a gram or more of bho in one hit from a hot nail might be harmful, but nowhere near in the same way or severity as crack cocaine.

The 0.75 g susceptor doubling as the 17-Holes Metal Disc of my LAVA Hybrid Core suffices to induce a comatose-grade experience requiring to sit while having tunel-vision and even gradual sensory loss. Hopefully it lasts only a few seconds but this should be an indication that it's most unwise to always seek extreme forms of abuse. Imagine what grams of heated metal can do in an IH-driven scenario!... A buffer may be required, now water toys become potentially useful, unless having control over the matching of an Energy burst vs its WorkLoad, that is...

Citing a dose is reasonably weird with cannabis...

The Syqe vaporizer strategy was my 1st "dosing" prompt, they divided a 1 g wheel of Dry herb into 70 doses as i recall. My alternative has been to divide a 125 mg bowl into 5 or 6 x ~20 mg broad-range tokes, still improving aroma/taste appreciation despite such challenge of doing more with less... Calculation of daily toking frequency is weird, over 18 hours i estimate 1 g divided by 20 mg ~50 tokes (doses) or so! Which never happens and hence demonstrates i get a lot of fun at very little expense, especially if compared to fancy/expensive Baking products i got no use for. But that's me, still on top of the world since i'm the only one around to access such type of pulse-heating!

Actually i noticed that trolls dribble with jealousy...

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Skipping the metal container and using the ceramic oven with only the lid gives more vapor in less time. Approximately half of a gram vaporizes within a few minutes. Egzoset's dosing method sounds more efficient.

Last edited:

Brother Nature

Egzoset

Egzoset

Geto Boys - "Talkin' Loud Ain't Sayin' Nothin'"

[youtubeif]390kOCFHo8A[/youtubeif]

You uze lotz of werdz...

Last edited:

Egzoset

Salutations Art.Spliff,

Skipping the metal container and using the ceramic oven with only the lid gives more vapor in less time.

A ceramic oven involves a mix of all 3 main energy vectors: mostly convective i hope (!), possibly assorted with a boosting (pulse-heating...) radiative component then some residual conduction mode which builds up in continuous "Hot Dry Air Ovenizing" mode.

A promise of more vapor in less time ain't sufficient to appeal as a worthy health-wise substitute for my former smoker habit, where the "Release/Transport Agent" was generously "Potentialized" with extra-hot exhaust gases from combustion which typically includes wood fibers and glue...

By chance i eventually discovered vaporism, though kind of late. Then learned that my body appears to require the presence of Inlet Water in the process, while the ritual matches a pulse-heating consumption method focussed on the contact-surface, to provide a broad-spectrum time-compressed cannabic experience.

The key resides in control IMO, just match the Energy Charge to its Cannabic WorkLoad. In IH-driven scenarios my LAVA proposal implements such feature, already evaluated using a "Plan-B" prototyping platform, etc.

Approximately half of a gram vaporizes within a few minutes.

The MLFB guy who rejected IH-driven scenarios in 2010 was possibly correct about one intuition: an MLFB bowl size. At the moment my Hybrid Core sandwhich is adjusted to suit a 12.5 ~ 13.5 mm (dia.) path, as i recall. I've roughly evaluated a Sphere's temporary Energy Storage capacity to range in the hundred Joules, maybe double, maybe half, but certainly not five or ten fold. The point is that we only need pick a cfg. profile matching the task at hand, which i think i've identified with good-enough precision - but NOT using a rectangular bowl i must admit... Still awaiting fair DUPLICATION & PEER REVIEW to this day... Imagine saying no to this much fun by avoiding 1st-hand experience costing little more than a VG pipe and few basic tools!

Egzoset's dosing method sounds more efficient.

Beware, they'll chase you around for this!

But yeah, it only makes sense to me to establish an energy budget and "Micro-Dosing" fits in beautifully. So lets have a look what the LAVA Capsule concept is like, once again:

picture.php

Instead of my 17-Holes Metal Disc simply assume DynaVap's CCD Screen happens to also have a mass of 0.75 g, which corresponds to this Hybrid Core's "Susceptor" in IH-driven mode.

A viable core layout has been established long ago, half a LAVA capsule in glass format would seem most appropriate as a resolution of all those failed Dry Herb trafe-offs we've witnessed since the rising (and fall...) of Loto Labs and its suite. It's time more attention is brought on delivery technology and that's where the intuition of Dan Steinberg pays more then he suspected possible himself, obviously:

picture.php

Actually i wish i had seen it sooner, in 2010. Or decades before ideally!

Anyway, although it's true that Silicon Carbide is an excellent heat-conductor compared to stainless steel, while dry air roughly defines unity as a thermal insulator (...), it turns out that SiC Foam results in novel properties and that's what is at the heart of my "Bi-Energy" concept where both modes of operation can co-exist simultaneously during a same toke. Try that with nichrome wire!

What we got here translates into a lot more than meets the eye: it's a powerful heat-conducting network massively connecting a matrix of air pockets in parallel, essentially. Transitional emerging properties just not observed before actually appear to eclipse whatever other alternative that could compare IMO, because such 3-parts KISS challenge becomes gradually unavoidable as more potential features add up. Like to keep high-density power cells away from living tissue, for example: e.g. we can leave that ID-driver attached to our leather belt or just sitting on a table. Or meet marginal demands as from customers with special needs (single-hand operation, or a haptic/audio interface for visually impaired persons who otherwise might risk skin burns), etc.

The LAVA Hybrid Core contains its temporary Heat Charge inside, not to mention the Energy Charge also comes from inside to begin with... Pre-Heating on battery power only requires more rational strategies, like to behave as a thermal slingshot/catapult: materials are submitted to heat-stress for a very brief period only, hence simplifying their selection early at the design stage.

The funny thing is that my DiY customized VG pipe has been qualified of "dangerous" while promising absolute safety in responsible hands: you make the rest as perfect as you see fit, because it's so simple it's naturally modular. Personally i'd recommend the preliminary experiments to include a water toy as safety buffer. Other than that the only danger is to discover a new form of addiction!

Muleskinner

Veteran

come DOWN in price? I think it's actually gone up, and it's been more like 15 years.

I bought one the first year it came out, all the Delrin (plastic) parts were CNC machined, now they're injection molded which is cheaper & less durable.

They also dropped the Solid valve as standard and you have to pay $100 for it, the Easy-valve system is a flimsy POS. The power cords are also lower quality than before.

that said, it's still the gold standard for dry herb vaporizing by far IMO. It's still expensive because no one else has tried to make one at the same quality level, there is no competition. Even made in German it should cost $300 or less, not $600. That is one downside of the Volcano. And their portable vapes are not very good IMO.

Egzoset

...it's still the gold standard... ...there is no competition.

Poor Art.Spliff, you have my sympathy.

A Volcano's high cost simply results from an improper design strategy which happens to be fundamentally flawed since the blueprints, obviously: it's an expensive attempt to solve design issues associated to a commercial "solution" more focussed on the needs of 3rd-party stranger$ than the consumer's own! For example installed gurus at Health Canada shall be prompt to conclude it's "medical" grade just checking its price-tag, while in fact the true benefit is for every single intermediary aligning his pockets...

Who needs to throw cannabis in a black box that can be expected to deceive with a "cheat" component NOT related to its noble molecules: in other words additional cloud opacity DOESN'T reflect quality extraction at all, quite on the contrary, it's basically about how deep it went... Imagine, the last noble molecules only leave their inferno after 2 ~ 3 minutes, when the bag is finally ready. That alone ensures you won't "Micro-Dose" and forget the rest, instead it must be emptied and that's a clear invitation to abuse unless it was a "Micro-Bag"... Honestly, doesn't BAKING at a stratospheric "elitist" cost sound a tad obscene, if not offensive?

Of course if it's Tumbled Mari-Caca from Trudeau's selection of LPs then go for it, i'm sure the volcano has got a reputation for some good reason. Too bad the concept is so badly rooted, no wonder material selection is perceived as such a challenge!

In any case further VILIFICATION is NOT about "The Shortest Path of Least Transformation".

Also, lets not forget to spend a few hundred more on fancy water toys, by the way!...

Muleskinner

Veteran
What's up Egzoset! good to see you around. We miss you over at Overgrow, you should stop by sometime to keep us updated on Québec.

You make a good point about the Volcano - I refer to it as the Howitzer gun of vaporizers, the balloon system tends to make you consume a lot more cannabis at once. I was using Eterra and then Aromazap whip-style vapes before - pea-shooters that are better suited to micro-dosing. Once that Volcano balloon fills up, you tend to consume the whole thing.

but in terms of quality of vapor the Volcano and its membrane fan/balloon system seem to do a better job at evenly vaporizing the herbal material with no burning. That is why you pay the big bucks. Honestly, we could use a Chinese knock-off or two of the Volcano to exert some downard pressure on prices, I would not be sorry to see that happen.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Skipping the metal container and using the ceramic oven with only the lid gives more vapor in less time. Approximately half of a gram vaporizes within a few minutes. Egzoset's dosing method sounds more efficient.

:laughing:Are you still here pretending to not be Egzoset? Still trying to sell your vaporizers? Shouldn't you register with this site as a vape salesman and pay the fee like the other vendors on here? At least be honest about your AGENDA, Mr. Vape Salesman.

Egzoset

Salutations MuleSkinner,

What's up Egzoset!

Almost routine as usual. Lets see what i was doing earlier today, after enjoying my time under the morning sunlight:

To the attn. of Dan Steinberg, inventor.

Salutations,

Once more. Please receive this as a conceptual extension of VaporGenie's intellectual property, provided by some enthousiast client AT NO COST - e.g. ZERO strings attached, as in 100 % FREE:

[ https://plus.google.com/collection/AsJSIB ]

(valid until April 2nd only)

Your initial material selection wasn't just right a decade ago, it opened the door to overlooked possibilities including electro-magnetic Induction Heat being simultaneously supported in "Bi-Energy" scenarios, etc. By choosing a VG pipe for my "Prototyping Platform" i implicitly accepted voiding its warranty then recognized that my "Plan-B" concept cannot actually exist except for a legit VG customers as myself, though IH-driving compatibility ain't equally protected (so far?), for all i can tell. Hence i urge VaporGenie aka Dan Steinberg to include Induction Heat support simply by implementing your own forgotten Fig. 11/12 item!

Honestly i'm most convinced this is beyond "viability" alone, interest for IH-driven products promissing a new standard of excellence has been growing since your suspended prototype of last August i'm sure... Please consider the opportunity as nobody else is in a better more suitable position to occupy such a top-notch niche which shall evoke overwhelming waves of envy in your competitors!

👍

M'well, that's how i'd describe it anyway. So the final move still doesn't belong to me if that proposal for an IH-compatible update makes any sense...

What i'm saying is that's you can start improving the pipe by using a blue-flame butane torch, possibly after switching to full-metal tops as i could verify there's no significant discomfort from excess heat after a "Micro-Bursting" compatible Hybrid Core conversion... Etc., etc. It's nothing more than my expression of a desire to share the fun, i wish nothing else but a successful logical conclusion by VG to VG's own initial source of inspiration.

Good day, have fun!!

...good to see you around.

Believe me, each time i wish it were about DUPLICATION & PEER REVIEW, for a guy who's well prepared to take over - but instead i realize it's always about a virtual alias animating a collection of photons and electrons. While my photo collection is real, the DiY Challenge too, 1st-hand experience, perspectives, etc.

Go figure!

We miss you over at Overgrow, you should stop by sometime to keep us updated on Québec.

You should know i got a habit of getting banned on forums, typically after important key-events such as my 8th anniversary as vaporist last month. It was sort of peculiar to observe and realize where motivations are actually grounded...

You make a good point about the Volcano - I refer to it as the Howitzer gun of vaporizers, the balloon system tends to make you consume a lot more cannabis at once.

There's just no way to view it as a substitute for our old cigarette/"joint" habit; the ritual with bags feels & looks utterly different i'm afraid. No joy there, pity for those who paid the wrong price only to obtain the wrong solution to the wrong problem!... Quality of hardware and/or of extraction depth is some other aspect among many.

:2cents:

Once that Volcano balloon fills up, you tend to consume the whole thing.

Even the fascinating paraphernalia aspect feels wrong, and it's not only the balloon system but what's attached to it. Yet i can try to understand those who prefer such mind-puzzling strategy. On another hand that's quite a far stretch to make it a "medical" icon based on its extravagant commercial reputation alone.

...in terms of quality of vapor the Volcano and its membrane fan/balloon system seem to do a better job at evenly vaporizing the herbal material with no burning.

The best of its kind perhaps, certainly not mine. The high cost is because of an improper solution to a cheating strategy where part of the opacity is nothing directly related to cannabis... After all i'm after noble substances collected inside trichome glands on a molecular basis, why contaminate it via 2 ~ 3 minutes of thermostatic ovenization when i'm at the anti-pods.

Some wasteful scenarios defy my religion, i shall admit!

:bow:

...exert some downard pressure on prices, I would not be sorry to see that happen.

That's one of the purposes of my Weapon of Massive Seduction: to combat all forms of VILIFICATION, hence i feel ready to declare war to all "Hot Dry Air Ovenizers" and similar.