What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not really enjoying the switch from joints to vaping

Spaventa

Veteran
I like vaping. I made my own juice from my trim and popcorn and used it the whole time I was in hospital having surgery. The nurses were suspicious of it and asked about it but I told them it was regular ejuice you buy anywhere. I was in a private room so they weren’t bothered.
I think they realised it was the reason I didn’t give them any trouble!

Pro Headies

Veteran
I prefer joints to vaping. I have a good rosin press and wax vape but I dont even try the rosin anymore. Much prefer joint high then rosin/concentrates or carts.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I use my vape pen all the time when out and about, am I missing something?
I am a vaper. I quit cigs 9 years ago. When it comes to cannabis, I make e-liquid from concentrates. Place in a 1ml cart, no must, no fuss. I don't have to fiddle with components etc... I simply bring pen to mouth and take a pull or two. Here, consumption of cannabis, albeit legal, is prohibited in public. I believe it has more to do with smell than anything else. Vaping goes pretty much undetected. A unique by-law here, forbids outdoor grows because of "nuisance smell". Everyone should enjoy "free pratique" on their properties. IOW, they are entitled to breath air unencumbered. Because you want to smoke cannabis, or grow outdoors, does not give you the right to infringe on someone else's liberties. I can smell a "cig smoker" 100yds upwind. It is amazing how sensitive our sense of smell is when, it is not interfered with our own smell. In the day, I stunk to high heaven and didn't know it. It will be interesting to see how aromatic the neighbourhood will become this summer?

I remember in the day of e-cig activism, where the folks were upset about vaping becoming legal, where the majority were against it. 84-16. Vapers stated what happened to democracy? Democracy is alive and well. It is your addiction (smoking), deal with it. It is not their problem (84% of the population). Right, wrong or indifferent, every one has rights, in a democracy. That being said, democracy is synonym for hypocrisy!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I prefer joints to vaping. I have a good rosin press and wax vape but I dont even try the rosin anymore. Much prefer joint high then rosin/concentrates or carts.
... at my age and the lung damaged done from smoking for 40+ yrs, I can no longer smoke a joint without gagging! Hence, the reason why I medicate with "mari pills". Dry herb vaporizers are OK but, some strains are harsh. Vaping is the way to go for me. Not as sociable but, I'm a med user, not into the recreational scene. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Furthermore, my wife has not been subject to a stinky smoker in 9 yrs. I vape cannabis around her and she is fine with it. Why very little if any smell. I enjoy not having to go outside in the dead of winter, for a smoke! :tiphat:

Pro Headies

Veteran
... at my age and the lung damaged done from smoking for 40+ yrs, I can no longer smoke a joint without gagging! Hence, the reason why I medicate with "mari pills". Dry herb vaporizers are OK but, some strains are harsh. Vaping is the way to go for me. Not as sociable but, I'm a med user, not into the recreational scene. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Furthermore, my wife has not been subject to a stinky smoker in 9 yrs. I vape cannabis around her and she is fine with it. Why very little if any smell. I enjoy not having to go outside in the dead of winter, for a smoke! :tiphat:

I never smoked a cigarette in my life(I'm 40). Vaping is ok but not when there's additives to make the concentrates stay liquefied in my opinion, there's definitely some harmful shit on the market out there in those carts no matter what the labels or company's making a buck off them say. I mainly prefer joints because I prefer the high over the rosin/concentrate high is my main reason though, it just feels right to me.

JRace

I totally understand the vaping over smoking.

My only question (and this is too all vapers)

Why a cart over a vape pen?

What is the benifit to a cart-pen over just straight pen?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
As best I understand it, with a standard box mod and attachment that one would use to vape straight, undiluted rosin or bho or whatever concentrate, you need to carry your dabs with you and refill after each load. A load being 3 or 4 hits. About the size of a rice kernel. These have small cups that roast the concentrate. Usually made from quartz or titanium.

With a cart, the rosin/bho.whatever concentrate is mixed with a substance like vegetable glycerin or pgp400 and then loaded into the cart. The cart uses a wick system and [usually] a ceramic heater to vaporize the mixture. The lloaded cart will last many, many hits. I don't know how many but dozens or hundreds or whatever. I understand a cart can last some people days or even weeks without reloading.

At least, that's how I understand the difference between a cartridge pen and a straight concentrate attachment and box mod.

JRace

The lloaded cart will last many, many hits. I don't know how many but dozens or hundreds or whatever. I understand a cart can last some people days or even weeks without reloading.

Thanks! That makes sense, and would be a big benefit.

I too have found it hard to stop joints, have a volcano as well as a vape pen. Even make my own Rosin and QWET....but there is something about a joint that I prefer.

Maybe its the high, maybe its the ritual...I don't know.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I usually toke on joints or a long stem glass pipe,
but when I want to "vape", I get out my old Jamaican steam pipe.

Attachments

• steam pipexx.jpg
    steam pipexx.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 32

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
A Rastafarian friend built that for me in the foothills of the Blue Mountains a very long time ago...(1981)

You stuff a fat bud (fresh or cured) to the bottom of that 5 inch tall bowl..
Then put charcoals made from coconut shell (or other hardwood) in the tin pan on top of the bowl...
It's hard to see in the picture, but there's a "handle" on that tin pan so you don't burn your fingers...
The main chamber is half full of water...

You slowly draw on the pipe to pull the heat of the coals thru the buds below them..
There's a slight learning curve so you don't get it hot enough to ignite.

I've been vaping for a very long time, but I always used to call it "steaming"...

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
A vaporizer is healthier giving a better (cleaner) effect compared to combustion. It takes more to set up and/or obtain one however. Some portable vaporizers hold around 1/3 of a gram at a time. Attached to a small glass humidifier/conditioner via medical grade tubing that's 2-3 puffs, 4-5 without. If they made one that held half or 2/3 of a gram I would likely buy it. They look pricey but they reduce flower consumption.

Egzoset

Salutations art.spliff;,

A vaporizer is healthier giving a better (cleaner) effect compared to combustion.

All vaporizers ain't even equal neither. For example i came to consider there's some similar "CHEAT" effect from a typical "Hot Dry Air Ovenizer", except it's obviously preferable to toxic combustion, though that still ain't related to beneficial/sacred cannabinoïds alone: i suspect some of us may actually be subject to a "Placebo Effect"!

Of course it's a matter of preferences, among others, to choose between some cheating mirage as i just evoked and what's best which Mother Nature has got to offer... Personally i seek "The Shortest Path of Lesser Transformation":This late reconfiguration finally implements its PinHole (à la VapMan) directly on a metal top, made of brass in this illustration. Optimum access is realized between it and its associated "Top-Of-Bowl Screen" & "WorkLoad", hence taming down "Hot Spotting" issues by delaying them even further, etc.

It takes more to set up and/or obtain one however. Some portable vaporizers hold around 1/3 of a gram at a time. Attached to a small glass humidifier/conditioner...

Long ago i evaluated 1 bowl to weight about 125 mg (because 1 g would separate as ~8 bowls), each providing 2 ~3 satisfying tokes in terms of aroma/taste appreciation + exhales. Past those often 2 ~ 3 more with degraded performance as the bowl depletes gradually each time. In addition there's no need for fragile glassware and zero risk to spill water as clean-burning butane generates its own extra-hot exhaust gases (H2O + CO2) capable of "Potentiating" a "Release/Transfer Agent" so it gets an edge in "Micro-Bursting" missions...

That's beyond simple self-conditioning: the outcome is self-moisturized broad-spectrum pulse-heating defying the popular (thermo-)static model, since it's an intuitive time-compressed experience that promptly feels obvious to ex-smokers i think.

They look pricey but they reduce flower consumption.

Most of the ready-made commercially-available products eventually fail to appeal to me as a result of their lame design/conceptual failures. The Volcano/Arizer device may seem valuable but i'd find no comfort thinking the thicker clouds only reflect a cheat through systematic thermalization, in order to extract everything even if it's little more than Trudeau's Tumbled Mari-Caca. So it's a "Give 'n Take" situation and hence i pick Mother Nature's genuine original instead - the need to engage into DiY/Modding projects is a modest price to pay.

Just wait for the manufacturer's motivations to coïncide with yours and cross fingers, or make it happen much as i have, sharing the fun so others don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Quite frankly, i can't imagine a future ex-smoker going back to combustion after that.

Good day, have fun!! [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]:tiphat:
[/FONT]

herbgreen

Veteran
I really like having a vape around

For one thing holding giant hits Im sure has got to be more healthy

And vape has less of a tolerance because its less taxing on the lung

Smoking is important also but having the vape is a real nice constant...... little or no smell compared to a joint....forget about it!

Anyway, get a water piece for the vape to cool it and make sure the vape you select has ROHS compliant healthy vapor path to your lung

I was introduced to vapor on a rasta inspired charcol powerd units and its powerful... get the monster hits watch people tumble and roll...lol!

The silver surfer seems like one that would give monster hits

The rohs heat guns blow a powered hit... I think silver surfer vapes have a fan powered unit now

Thats just awesome but blows alot of herb at once and we even wet the herb a little to actually steam it and that helped it not get to combustion...

....very smooth :biggrin:

I’m a heavy user wanting to smoke less, way less but I want to get more high, way more.
Today I’m eating some iso oil I “cooked” up the other day.
It’s different than smoking fatties and I get body rushes, stealthy as fuck too.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Vaping flowers or concentrate compares favorably to smoking outside. Way better.
Edibles or canna caps might be best for a steady maintenance dose.
With edibles and vaping it is possible to get away from combustion and a nicer high.

Last edited:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I have to admit, now that I've transitioned entirely out of combustion, the quality of high that I consistently get is far nicer than when I smoked. I remember a lot of the time, when smoking, how that horrible ash taste towards the end of the bowl can really linger, acting a bit like a buzz kill. Or when your inhale a little ember? Prevents enjoying the high sometimes. But vaping tastes great all the way to the end. It gets a little toastier by that last puff, but it's never a buzz kill. Also, I get the euphoria regularly. The body tingles and stuff. Vaping brings that out to the fore front

Just want to encourage some of you who want to make vaping work for you. It's worth it. Keep trying. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts