What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Northern Lights Micro, 16"x16"x32"-- 97 watts LED, Low Odor.

Forum Participation. keep #9 or chop?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phunkeeboodah

i thought the same but turns out if there is enough soil the water and most of the roots never make it down that far anyway since there is less oxygen and moisture(?). in the mother cupboard i keep plants in 250ml and 500ml plastic margarine containers/tupperware and those plants have roots at the bottom but the sand at the top helps regulate watering and the moisture level at the top of the soil and so far the plants are perfect

that top sand layer though really helps because the soil stays moist along the surface all the way to the edge of the pot and it stays regulated. it's basically upside down bottom watering. the sand holds all the water at once and slowly brings it evenly downward across the soil surface

Last edited:

singlecoiled

i thought the same but turns out if there is enough soil the water and most of the roots never make it down that far anyway since there is less oxygen and moisture(?). in the mother cupboard i keep plants in 250ml and 500ml plastic margarine containers/tupperware and those plants have roots at the bottom but the sand at the top helps regulate watering and the moisture level at the top of the soil and so far the plants are perfect

that top sand layer though really helps because the soil stays moist along the surface all the way to the edge of the pot and it stays regulated. it's basically upside down bottom watering. the sand holds all the water at once and slowly brings it evenly downward across the soil surface

I might try the sand trick you mention, I've heard this helps to prevent fungus gnats as well, I'm not sure. Very interesting techniques your using.

singlecoiled

End week 4 flower--5 weeks to go if I can make it, I'm seeing some brown on the leaves --Not good this early!

_DSC6254.JPG

BuckEye420

Ive grow Nirvana Northern Lights four times now. Its a very consistent strain to learn from, all of my plants have been exactly the same. I am a relatively new grower and am using this as an opportunity to learn. My past three grows used Bloom/Flower nutrients after flipping 12/12. This grow I will be using Dyna Grow Foliage pro only, to see what happens.

To answer your question, I am using RO water and Dyna Grow Foliage Pro. Thats it. Very simple and very cheap. The soil is Fox Farm Coco Loco (coco/soil mix) with added perlite and a cup or two of rabbit manure from my pet rabbit. I'm growing in a 3 gallon cloth pot and watering every 3 days or so. Coco loco really holds the water, almost too much ! My watering frequency might increase as she enters mid flower.

I'm feeding Foliage Pro at around 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp per gallon every watering until heavy runoff. I monitor PH in and PH out as well as PPM's... I do not use PH up or down, I use Dyna Grow Protekt (just a little) to PH my water to around 6.0-7.0 range.

I do have a bottle of Cal Mag just in case, but am trying hard to use the right amount of Foliage Pro so that no deficiencies begin. Thats the nice thing about Foliage Pro, its got everything a plant needs, 12 bucks a bottle and it has lasted 4 grows now using less than 1/4 of a bottle....
Not to nitpick here.....but you are not using Dyna-Gro Foilage Pro "only" as you say, Coco-Loco has organic inputs and on top of that, you are using rabbit droppings, so you can't really judge how the plant does just on Foilage Pro alone when you are adding other inputs, just saying. For what it's worth I also use Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro with Pro-Tekt in a canna coco/perlite blend with a 50/50 water of RO and tap pH'ed to 6.0-6.5 in AutoPots with a 13 gal. resivour for my autoflowers. Your plants look awesome!!

phunkeeboodah

until we hear back this is my current low odour grow with 150w hps from canadian tire. this is three seeds of ortega (nl5 x nl1) and i'm dropping light schedule 40 minutes per week right now just over half way through flower it seems

rubbermaid tub no holes pro mix soil and pellets (both omri) from lowes and two inches of sand on top (game changer). pre mixed a bunch of the pellets into the soil and then only had to top dress once early flower

2024-03-15_tegas1.JPG

phunkeeboodah

two weeks later and the light schedule is now 10L/14D which i will keep it at until harvest

can only really smell when near or in the grow space and it smells just like fresh flowers. perfumy and sweet with some funkiness in there

one plant is ahead of the others in resin production (cat pee). will have to wait for the smoke test though to decide the keeper

2024-03-29_tegas1.JPG

phunkeeboodah

since i'm still not busted (remember back in the days of half finished grow reports lol)

this picture is from last week and the plants now a week on from then are i would say no more than a week to finish. i will let them dry on the vine btw

really no identifiable odour outside the garden accept when right next to it. they have just smelled like flowers with a bit of funky berry juice concentrate mixed in

i took a small bud of each pheno and am water curing for an early potency check

am realizing more and more how important it is that these plants do not smell. i had one plant a few years ago in veg and it reeked the whole apartment up with a nasty nose burning skunk smell

2024-04-13_wet.JPG

2024-04-13_wet_coffee.JPG

2024-04-13_wet_quiet.JPG

2024-04-13_wet_cat pee.JPG

phunkeeboodah

the first smoke test with the water cured buds show a clear winner and that is the cat pee. this was noticeably the frostiest plant. has sweet fruity/berry resin although i have yet to try it non-water cured so will see how it turns out

isn't the easiest to clone but has some really cool variegation. what a relief i found a keeper and no/minimal odour

2024-04-13_wet_cat pee.JPG

2024-03-06_tegas_cat_pee_variegation.JPG