What's new

Charles-scott

Veteran
Dr Atomic has maintained the NL 5 lines all the way back to Nevil who is also a friend on Skype he told me a few weeks ago that he felt that Dr Atomic has the best NL on the market .
C
Picture is Dr Atomic master NL clone

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 29

Gertz

Dr Atomic has maintained the NL 5 lines all the way back to Nevil who is also a friend on Skype he told me a few weeks ago that he felt that Dr Atomic has the best NL on the market .
C
Picture is Dr Atomic master NL clone

Great info to know, thanks!

I was looking at a few different places to get some from. I cant give rep yet so thank you.

- Gertz

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
Yes they were very sliver-ish, with purpling on the tops of the tips. Def different than what iv seen from nirvana, as that's the only one I grew in recent years. They were green with orange hairs, classic looking buds. Nothing like the old NL.

Spot on. #5 is a clone only that cannot be obtained thru seed banks unless selfed maybe. MIA, an example of not preserving and sharing legendary cuts. The mother of all mothers.

The PEZ cutting that floats around the PNW is rumored to be nl#5. I've grown it many times and its uncanny how much it looks like old pics
of her. Although it's awfully stinky and NL is more of a low odor strain. It could very well be the original nl#5 cut but there's no way to prove it. Great cutting tho, try it if you get a chance.

Thanks will be on the lookout. Hope she is found.

Last edited:

topheavy420

I got a few 3-4 weeks in now, the resemblance with shine here in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_20150612_220956.jpg
    IMG_20150612_220956.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 22

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
^ that doesn't look like any NL I have seen. Who's the breeder on that one? Fairly narrow leaf, must be a hybrid. Nice looking plant though.

Brelva

The PEZ cutting that floats around the PNW is rumored to be nl#5. I've grown it many times and its uncanny how much it looks like old pics of her. Although it's awfully stinky and NL is more of a low odor strain. It could very well be the original nl#5 cut but there's no way to prove it. Great cutting tho, try it if you get a chance.

The OLD old original NL I remember smokin on trips to Oregon absolutely reeked. I never heard of NL being low odor until years later and was always confused as to why people said it was. Not sure how NL went from originally havin a super dank stench to 'low odor' but there ya go. None of the NL or NL hybrids i've smoked since those early days (88-92) have reminded me of the original from the PNW.

I hear the Glue (not to be confused with Gorilla Glue) from the bay area is close to the original NL.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
The OLD old original NL I remember smokin on trips to Oregon absolutely reeked. I never heard of NL being low odor until years later and was always confused as to why people said it was. Not sure how NL went from originally havin a super dank stench to 'low odor' but there ya go. None of the NL or NL hybrids i've smoked since those early days (88-92) have reminded me of the original from the PNW.

I hear the Glue (not to be confused with Gorilla Glue) from the bay area is close to the original NL.

When I mentioned "lower odor" on the old 88-92 version I meant it was not roadkill skunk level smell. It definitely stank good while growing like a good afghani, and stunk up a bag, but not at the same level as some of today's nose destroyer strains or the old RKS. But the NL cut potency was better than any other cut I've ever tried. Just my 2 cents.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
Here are two of the oldest published pics of the NL #5 original cut. They are actually same picture but from two different scans of old Seed Bank catalogs.

Pretty sure only Ed Rosenthal has photographed her with a good camera from this time period (87 - 90).

1987 catalog scanned by StRa:

picture.php

This pic is from the last page of the 1990 Seed Bank catalog.
picture.php

I remember Ed (or somebody else) published a better uncropped pic in HT sometime from 87-90, anybody remember that one? Anybody have that old pic from HT? Notice all the heavy grayish purple tinges on the buds... The undersides of the spear leaves were always gray near when mature... It seems most the OLD seedlines ever produced as "Northern Lights" were from crossing the #5 with an unknown male.

Last edited:

Charles-scott

Veteran
That looks exactly like the BC seed co NL#5 from 98-2000 exactly I thought you were going to say it was BC seeds .
Here are two of the oldest published pics of the NL #5 original cut. They are actually same picture but from two different scans of old Seed Bank catalogs.

Pretty sure only Ed Rosenthal has photographed her with a good camera from this time period (87 - 90).

1987 catalog scanned by StRa:

View Image

This pic is from the last page of the 1990 Seed Bank catalog.
View Image

I remember Ed (or somebody else) published a better uncropped pic in HT sometime from 87-90, anybody remember that one? Anybody have that old pic from HT? Notice all the heavy grayish purple tinges on the buds... The undersides of the spear leaves were always gray near when mature... It seems most the OLD seedlines ever produced as "Northern Lights" were from crossing the #5 with an unknown male.

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
Peakseeds version was a nice smoke for me. Reminded me of the bags called NL I used to get in high school.

Not as potent as I remember though. However, I think that's partly nostalgia. I also only ran 4 plants so I hardly did a worthy hunt.

I have seen some very resinous looking specimens from the line though, I did not get one quite so resinous as I believe knuckles did. I also saw a guy on another site d_urbmon with a really resinous specimen.

He bred it from old NL seed stock AFAIK. Guy is one of the best breeders I've encountered. No losers in his stable.

British Columbia Seed Company NL #5 beans I paid a lot of money for are rubbish. I have just flipped my garden of 13 plants today after a 24-26 day veg from seed under MH lighting.

I'm a reasonably good grower. The other plants I have in with the 6 NL #5's are thriving. So this is not a case of a poor grower bagging out a strain because they have failed but would rather blame the genetics.

Each of the 6 BCSC Northern Lights #5plants is unique.

There is a 2ft tall, lanky, sativa leaf, male looking, single stem with 3 nodes only and a crown, well you get the picture. It is still in the grow because I'm putting it through some stress tests for the purpose of refining my growing technique.

There's a short, squat plant, 7 nodes and crown but only around 12 inches tall. But it has these sativa type leaves and the serrations are chunky - it is odd. It looks like one of many non-cannabis plants that you see in people's gardens and the like and you give a double take and look again to check that it actually isn't a cannabis plant. Well, this plant could go alright in a guerilla situation, if you didn't care that there doesn't seem to be a lot happening at the nodal points. Still, the stretch starts tomorrow.

I have 2 that look so much like my DJ Short Blueberry plants they could be half siblings. Purple in the stems, same 5 finger leave with few serrations, very broad fingers, a dark mauve/purple sort of color leaf as opposed to green. These 2 are similar for sure, but the smaller one had a set-back early and I would't be prepared to say that these 2 are full siblings, but they share a parent that isn't shared with any of the other BCSC NL #5's.

The last 2 have a similar growth pattern, short, squat, nodes close together, the sort of thing you'd expect to see from this strain. Except that each has different shaped leaves that are a little odd. One is very much like the squat sativa pheno discussed above in that its leaves don't look like your average cannabis leaf. They look like the leaves on flowering shrubs I've seen in people's yards.

All up I have to say that British Columbia Seed Company is selling a 25 year bred IBL that is not that at all. Something major has happened in their breeding program and it's safe to say it was a mistake. These genetics are ruined.
'
If you want to grow a great Northern Lights I can vouch for Sensi Seeds as far as vegging up to the flip. I have 3 of their regular NL plants growing beside my #5's and I flipped today at day 25-26. They are looking like the best plants I've grown in 20 years of indoor growing.

Charles-scott

Veteran
I am sorry to hear that I have herd this several times now , I can say that years ago they sold me the best NL I had seen up to that point every plant was exactly alike looked like Nevils NL#5 picture .
I was just with Dr Atomic last week he has worked with NL for 25 years non stop and even Nevil says he feels his are the best on the market .
I am growing his master Nl Clone it is the fastest growing plant I have just explosive growth and perfect white massive root system .
British Columbia Seed Company NL #5 beans I paid a lot of money for are rubbish. I have just flipped my garden of 13 plants today after a 24-26 day veg from seed under MH lighting.
I have lost my camera at the moment or I would snap a picture for you .
C

I'm a reasonably good grower. The other plants I have in with the 6 NL #5's are thriving. So this is not a case of a poor grower bagging out a strain because they have failed but would rather blame the genetics.

Each of the 6 BCSC Northern Lights #5plants is unique.

There is a 2ft tall, lanky, sativa leaf, male looking, single stem with 3 nodes only and a crown, well you get the picture. It is still in the grow because I'm putting it through some stress tests for the purpose of refining my growing technique.

There's a short, squat plant, 7 nodes and crown but only around 12 inches tall. But it has these sativa type leaves and the serrations are chunky - it is odd. It looks like one of many non-cannabis plants that you see in people's gardens and the like and you give a double take and look again to check that it actually isn't a cannabis plant. Well, this plant could go alright in a guerilla situation, if you didn't care that there doesn't seem to be a lot happening at the nodal points. Still, the stretch starts tomorrow.

I have 2 that look so much like my DJ Short Blueberry plants they could be half siblings. Purple in the stems, same 5 finger leave with few serrations, very broad fingers, a dark mauve/purple sort of color leaf as opposed to green. These 2 are similar for sure, but the smaller one had a set-back early and I would't be prepared to say that these 2 are full siblings, but they share a parent that isn't shared with any of the other BCSC NL #5's.

The last 2 have a similar growth pattern, short, squat, nodes close together, the sort of thing you'd expect to see from this strain. Except that each has different shaped leaves that are a little odd. One is very much like the squat sativa pheno discussed above in that its leaves don't look like your average cannabis leaf. They look like the leaves on flowering shrubs I've seen in people's yards.

All up I have to say that British Columbia Seed Company is selling a 25 year bred IBL that is not that at all. Something major has happened in their breeding program and it's safe to say it was a mistake. These genetics are ruined.
'
If you want to grow a great Northern Lights I can vouch for Sensi Seeds as far as vegging up to the flip. I have 3 of their regular NL plants growing beside my #5's and I flipped today at day 25-26. They are looking like the best plants I've grown in 20 years of indoor growing.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
It's an old clone from the PNW called PEZ. Supposedly from the '80's, supposedly nl#5.

G`day TH

I got ahold of some Pez S1 Seeds from a buddy .
Very pleasant herb .Berry/ cough medicine or Tea Tree / eucalyptus/ pine terps .

@ Mr B
The Indian was not the orig source of the NL #5 .
He was the guy Jorge introduced Nevil to as an alternative source of NL genetics .
NL started from 4 Afghani seeds sourced from SunLight Supply grow store in Seattle . The NL line went from #1 on up in scale of Sativa .NL #1 =Afg IBL x Sam`s Afg #1 . There were Mex , Colombian and Indian as well as a Thai hybrid .
NL#5 Was the orig Afghani 4 seeds inbred then seeds sent to Hawaii . And crossed with an unknown Hawaiian and returned to the breeder .

Nevil`s NL#5 seed line was NL#5 x NL#1 .8 gens of breeding he said . Was busted and jailed and never sold the seeds .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
G`day TH

I got ahold of some Pez S1 Seeds from a buddy .
Very pleasant herb .Berry/ cough medicine or Tea Tree / eucalyptus/ pine terps .

@ Mr B
The Indian was not the orig source of the NL #5 .
He was the guy Jorge introduced Nevil to as an alternative source of NL genetics .
NL started from 4 Afghani seeds sourced from SunLight Supply grow store in Seattle . The NL line went from #1 on up in scale of Sativa .NL #1 =Afg IBL x Sam`s Afg #1 . There were Mex , Colombian and Indian as well as a Thai hybrid .
NL#5 Was the orig Afghani 4 seeds inbred then seeds sent to Hawaii . And crossed with an unknown Hawaiian and returned to the breeder .

Nevil`s NL#5 seed line was NL#5 x NL#1 .8 gens of breeding he said . Was busted and jailed and never sold the seeds .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Thanks Elmer. So were the seeds sourced from the grow shop sold or gifted widespread? Did you know of them at the time or you researched it? (I am not prying) Who named them #1-X? The source(s) or Neville? Were the numbers referring to phenotypes or different specific crosses? Was #5 a cut or seed Neville got? No matter how much research this is not clear. Thx for anything. I really miss that cut. Since both Seed Bank and later Sensi was selling "northern lights" (with no number attached) seeds who knows? Because it was definetley sold thru their catalogs. Wonder how many years Ben and Neville were working together before Nevile got busted? There is a gap in the numbers is that cause Neville only had clones or he killed the males? :/

I am most interested in history of the "#5?" grown in the USA, the one with dark green leaves and always purple on the leaf undersides.

If anybody else has info pls share. Even if it is just a story. :tiphat:

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Mr B

Go to Mr Nice forum and look up a guy named Seattle NL Greg .
He taught the sea of green tech and the bubble hash method to Nevil .

He`s the guy who started the breeding . The #s were different crosses . From the same Affie line . As the Sativa factor got higher so did the # . Affie x Affie was #1 and on up to #9 a Thai cross .
The NL#5 cut was transported to Holland . The other #s were seeds transported to Holland .
NL was developed by and for Vietnam Vets . The Indian had a vet son . But was not part of the NL Crew .

NL Greg went under ground when Green Merchant hit . Nevil desperate for more NL went to the USA and met the Indian . That caused bad blood . And Nevil never got NL seeds from the orig source again .
Helps to explain why Nevil said the USA NL wasn`t as good as what he already had . He couldn`t get access to the NL Crew only an associate .
Nevil got busted and when he got out of prison his 8th generation NL seeds were gone ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Latest posts

Latest posts