What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NoobwannaB's Fabric Pot SIP method (works with hard pots too)

Maeseph

Seriously, thank you.

Seriously, thank you.

Thanks man. I am new, my first seeds actually sprouted two days ago. They are both healthy and beautiful. My biggest fear so far has been over/under watering. Before you've ever done anything, you just read about all of the times people have ruined their plants with lack of judgement due to no experience. Coming onto a site like this to ask for advice is intimidating because everyone knows words and abbreviations and chemicals and processes I've never even heard of. Nobody wants to walk into a room and sound like a dipshit. Also, I have looked at other sip methods and they all are fairly bulky or complicated or expensive.......So, seriously, thank you for posting this. You have helped me and my lady friends considerably. Thanks for not making me feel like an idiot. And sharing simple, easy to accomplish cost effective ideas with us regular folks.

bornlucky

wicks?

wicks?

Hey great post. I'm about to start a grow tent with your method. What do you or anyone else think about your exact system but putting a actual wick or wicks in the growing medium down thru bottom of pot into the perlite?

wwfjdraw

Can any capillary mat be used to deliver nutrients though the mat through smart pots? I want to use them till harvest with my advanced nutrients brand. I also want to try using net pots with coco and hydroton, (the type used in dwc).

Floridian

Veteran
Nice info bro but I am a little confused about something.On the first page it shows a tray with grooves that cant be a quarter inch deep.You say to fill the tray with perlite and fill the water up until it is an inch or so below the perlite.Are you using regular black trays about 3 inches deep or so?The pic confused me and I am easily confused

wwfjdraw

Can anyone tell me how waterpulse vortex mats are better than the usual cheap capillary mats anyone can use with something like blumat surface? I have a terraponic be and a blumat surface I have many net pots (the kind used in DWC) and fabric pots (smart pots), I figure if I get capillary mat then all I need is nutrients which I have and I should be all set right?

wwfjdraw

In theory NFT mat should be perfect. They are used to grow marijuana in tubes might as well use them to grow on a table.

wwfjdraw

In theory, do I even need to ue a mt Can't I just place my Blumat "surface edition" in the bed with the pots and just fill it with nutrient solution from the drip line hovering just over the ledge of the main center slit or trench. The only concern would then be to both oxygenate the water and prevent it from evaporating under the lights. I suspect simply by putting a filler of sorts will do both tricks for me? That way rocks would cover the surface of the bed that is not covered with a pot sitting in it, covering it should prevent needless evaporation right? And the rocks should make for oxygenating the nuts before they get to the bottom of he pots right?

Chillin12

This could save my girls life.

My 4'x4'x6" tray would hold 8 cf of perlite.

Say I filled it to 5". Would pearlite be able to hold up 5 gallon pots that high? It seems it would squirt out like water. I don't have much experience with pearlite. Could growstones hold it up better? Would growstones wick the water up properly?

Chillin12

I set this up yesterday with 10 gallon pots. 4 1/2" of pearlite. One of my plants was root bound and loosing leaves so I repotted her 2 days ago. She lost 25℅ of her leaves yesterday and another 25℅ today. At this rate she will be gone in 2 days.

This doesn't seem to be working with 10 gal fabric pots. The pearlite is wet to the top but it doesn't seem to be wicking up the fabric pots. I have top watered her to try getting the wicking action going.

I will update my progress but it is not looking good.

Chillin12

This is an old thread that no one seems to be following but here are my results anyways. It's been 8 days since I put my three plants in the Sip Tray. I vacuumed out most of the water halfway through and refilled with properly pH water.

The healthy plant that I repotted into the 10 gallon pot is doing great. The tray seems to be driving the water up about halfway but the roots are far enough down to get the water. I put a little bit of feed through the top.

My runt in the 5 gal pot is flourishing. It absolutely loves the SIP. Lost all is droop and has beautiful new growth.

The plant that lollipoped itself has stopped losing leaves. When I repotted it into the 10 gallon pot it was 3 gallons of solid roots. The water has not been wicking up more than halfway so I have been top feeding and watering it. When the roots start growing down into the fresh moist soil she will probably do much better.

So if you are using five gallon or smaller fabric pots this would work very well. You will just need to remove them for feeding. Once it stops running off you can put her back in the Sip tray.