What's new

Noob Questions about preparing Coco.

maxmurder

Veteran
cool thread good info. i just googled spinosad and there are a few different ones, which one are you recommending?
if you were using bcuzz or canna coco would you still use it?

M

MacGyver420

i have been using the atami (bcuzz) coco for about a year now and its the best quality imo - although i think that all coco comes with bugs now a days so gotta rinse it anyways
i mix in up to 45-50% perlite in my bags and water daily; nutrients every other day
6ml gal grow / 9ml gal bloom (im using cutting edge nutrients)
1 gram per gallon epsom salts

ph is 5.8 some days 6.0 others

if your growin a 4k room all coco there WILL BE bugs so take lazymans advice and use an insecticide early on

ive been using spinosad as well its highly effective; i know that it stays in the plants for something like 60-70 days and it supposedly is safe to use but i have my doubts -- in my mind NO pesticide can possibly be 100% safe for human consumption (but thats an entirely different topic altogether)

my last grow i thought i could get away with not applying any kind of bug control and it bit me in the ass -- makes me want to just go back to hydro

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yeah spinosad is spinosad, brand doesn't matter. I ended up using Bonide's Capt Jack Deadbug brew from a local hardware store. Anticipate having bugs, and have the arsenal to combat them (and fungicides) so you can have smooth runs and good crops. It doesn't matter if you've never had mites, thrips, root aphids or PM, you should have everything on hand to combat all of these at a moments notice, and then some!

synax

Awesome thread, very good information!!! I'm about to start my second coco grow with canna coco and am very glad I cam across this thread. Definitely subscribed!

geekusa

I'm new to coco but I'm not new to trial and error.

I have been using the Bio Bizz 50L bags and I've now gotten a solid method down that makes for very little mess.

I use the following:

1x. 5 gallon bucket
1x. Pair of scissors, or a sharp object.
4x. 1 gallon pots
1x. container large enough so that the bag of coco mix will sit in it. And large / strong enough to hold a few gallons of water.

Take the 4 gallon pots and just flip them upside down and place into container. They are going to support the weight of the bag.

Take your sharp object and go jason voorhees (stab) on the bottom of the bag and up along the bottom sides.

Place bag into container.

Fill up your 5 gallon bucket, fill with ph adjusted water and give the bag a few gallons to flush. If you want to test the run off just raise it up and collect.

Then after you have washed a few gallons of ph'd water, add in the nutrients you are going to be using and let that flush through a few times. Again checking run off.

I do the same thing for the perlite only I just use sink / tap water. I just rinse it off until there is no more dust, and it's good and moist.

I then fill the bottom of each container with 2" of #4 perlite. For the rest of the container I mix in 30% perlite with the coco, then top dress the container with coco.

I'm using the Rez formula modified for CES and my plants look very happy.

The reason for rinsing the coco while in the bag helps for a few reasons.

1. It keeps the hair from getting out of the bag. The hair will clog up drains faster than anything. *trial and error*.

2. What medium you don't use, just roll up the bag and store it in a cool dry place. When you need it again, it should need little work.

3. I found it makes less mess just scooping out of the bag instead of trying to mix it in containers.

Anyone have any tips to make this any easier?

benzo

your method sounds good geekusa. But a pillow case works WONDERS! It is so much easier. You are way more likely to rip the bag, then you are to rip the pillow case. Then once it is rinsed thoroughly, you can beat the pillow case to death to get out the excess water.

If you are storing coco, you dont want it to be dripping wet cause it can get moldy..

huntingbb

For rinsing, get a old pillow case. put coco in there and run water thru it til your ec is less than .1

i tried using 5 gallon buckets. 18 gallon rubbermaid totes, but the pillow case was by far the easiest way to rinse.

as for precharging the coco, people above already answered that question in dept.

Damn more wisdom from ya - that makes perfect sense!

Yeah spinosad is spinosad, brand doesn't matter. I ended up using Bonide's Capt Jack Deadbug brew from a local hardware store. Anticipate having bugs, and have the arsenal to combat them (and fungicides) so you can have smooth runs and good crops. It doesn't matter if you've never had mites, thrips, root aphids or PM, you should have everything on hand to combat all of these at a moments notice, and then some!

hm... that's totally not what i wanted to hear... i'm deathly afraid of bugs.

What would you recommend having on hand specifically?

Check out Lazyman's threads for a pretty intense foliar spray he uses. As far as what I use after my research:

preventative spray in early veg and then week 1 flower:
Floramite SC (or avid / forbid)
Eagle 20 for PM
Bayer Complete

Watered with 10ml/gal bayer complete as well, and crumbled mosquito dunks onto the coco. This combo takes care of fungus gnats and root aphids - search for both if you want a bunch of good reading.

synax

Here's my two cents on prepping coco:

I fill a big wheelbarrow with 2-3 bales of coco, add well water or RO to decompress
Add a cup of spinosad (Capt Jacks Deadbug brew) to each 2 bales to kill fungus gnats, stir.
Add some full-strength grow nutes (powdered or liquid) and some 1/2 strength bloom nutes
Add cal-mag, ph the wheelbarrow and stir, let sit for about 30 minutes. Save the liquid for the next batch, I re-use it 2-3 times before making a fresh batch.
I hate perlite with a passion, if you need more aeration (shouldn't be needed) add some coco chips or coco bark to the mix. It is biodegradable and NOT WHITE! Easier to dispose of.

That's about it, should be ready to use and won't harbor gnats, and won't starve young plants of food while the coco soaks it up.

Or, if you want to save the hassle and are bucks-up, go buy Canna Bio Terra + Soil, it's amended coco right out of the bag, just add spinosad to deal with the inevitable gnat problems.

Lazyman, was curious if you are using a cup of the concentrated formula or just the normal red label with a sprayer...

Check out Lazyman's threads for a pretty intense foliar spray he uses. As far as what I use after my research:

preventative spray in early veg and then week 1 flower:
Floramite SC (or avid / forbid)
Eagle 20 for PM
Bayer Complete

Watered with 10ml/gal bayer complete as well, and crumbled mosquito dunks onto the coco. This combo takes care of fungus gnats and root aphids - search for both if you want a bunch of good reading.

That is a impressive arsenal ! :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts