What's new

No, your loud motorbike engine isnt cool, its LAME

So the open road is a racetrack.

Why are there babies on it?

No human is in absolute control of a vehicle.

Master or not he wouldn't video himself being a total dick unless he wanted attention for such antics.

You've certainly given him that.

If a biker wants to ride like they are racing then perhaps a race track is the best place?

Acceleration is pertinent to this conversation how exactly?

I don't think that it's okay to fly by families at triple digits on a highway even if you paid for a Ferrari.

It's never acceptable to be wreckless with others' lives... especially when it's done for kicks.

How unAmerican do I sound now?

Do I sound like a little hippie girl?

Tell me all about it.

Then think about what I said.

Certainly not a track, however, if I'm riding the dragon's tail at sunrise and I'm out dragging knees and wheelieing out of apex's, and no one's around, why do you care?

I'm not bothering any one, if I fall I'm protected, if I parish, it's doing something which I love to do.

Have you watched the video or not?

The question is oh so pertinant to all this shit.

Why? I posted it to help people like you understand what being at one, in a zen like state is like on a motorcycle. It's the best example I know.

Please, do, sir, try to set aside your narrow view that he's not in absolute control, and is NOT riding within his limits, watch the clip, it's only eleven minutes. Set aside your concerns, watch it. See if you can recognize the zen like state GR is in on that particular ride. Notice things like the sound of the throttle in relation to other occurrences like slight front wheel wobbles (the bike will wiggle)... It's an exercise in attempting to learn what zen states and motorcycling has in common. If you truly have an open mind, this shouldn't be THAT hard.

Attention? Sure I paid the guy attention. He's a moto MASTER. I'm not. I also watch many other professional level riders, read books like Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist (I & II), amongst others. It's a passion and love, much like marijuana is, and has been my entire life.

We're all at risk, walking down the street, in a cage, rv or plane. Fuck, what if the water goes bad?

I only have one life as far as I know, I'm going to live it to the max.

If you think that I, or others can automatically be labelled into these broadly and ill-defined categories which are somehow bad, you're wrong....

Why are you here, in this thread, anyway?

You don't ride. You aren't willing to take time to do anything but try to discredit or marginalize what I speak on....

Is there an ignore function on ICmag?:tumbleweed:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
This thread was started about loud engine noise being lame.

It wasn't about how cool motorcycles are and why haters suck.

I wasn't aware I wasn't welcome in what has become your motorcycle fanaticism thread.

There is an ignore function on IC.

It certainly helps me from time to time... it's under My IC and then on your control panel under Edit Options.

It's been educational to say the least.

I'll miss seeing you.

:tiphat:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i understand that the racket irritates some folks. i never rode my straight-pipe Sportster through neighborhoods after dark, nor did i ever "play the throttle". but boy, when i was on a deserted back road, it was fun to listen to the thunder roll. if you love the sound of a Harley, you know what i mean. if you sip Liebfraumilch & listen to Mozart, then you will never understand...:biggrin:

I never understood the "sit at the stoplight and rev the shit out of my harley" nonsense. The exhaust sounds terrible. Maybe they have to rev them up to keep the piece of shit lawnmower engine from stalling?

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
trendsetters, no need for using the Ignore function!!! this is just a light-hearted thread :)
(most people would agree my loud guitar sucks too when my amp isn't on low or using headphones) :))

Shovelhandle

I never understood the "sit at the stoplight and rev the shit out of my harley" nonsense. The exhaust sounds terrible. Maybe they have to rev them up to keep the piece of shit lawnmower engine from stalling?

Yut, that maybe true. I ride HD, I've drag raced HD and one thing I think is hilarious is folks 'blipping' the throttle for every downshift. Again, like the transmission is from some old farm implement or something and won't go in gear correctly without the fiddle-farting with the throttle. More likely they aren't familiar enough with the gear's shift points. WTF

Yut, that maybe true. I ride HD, I've drag raced HD and one thing I think is hilarious is folks 'blipping' the throttle for every downshift. Again, like the transmission is from some old farm implement or something and won't go in gear correctly without the fiddle-farting with the throttle. More likely they aren't familiar enough with the gear's shift points. WTF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xnUdSo6iUk

Right about 1:09.... Valentino Rossi, arguablely the best to ever ride two wheels. Sometimes, it makes sense to have your engine speed higher, during fast downshifts from speed because of the adverse effects of not doing so in terms of the bike and it's particular to the situation handling requirements/set up...

That said, Rossi even uses a quick shifting devices, only needs to tap the pedal.... Blipping is sometimes required.

I agree, harley riders who rev their engines suck big, hard donkey cock. :tiphat:

mrcreosote

Veteran
I guess that if you don't want to hear the sound of an engine....you could just go to a place where they only use silent electric cars/bikes....if such a place exhists...

...Some countries have laws that prohibit engine noise over a certain number of decibels...but I don't live in one of them....kids with 125cc scooters try to make their bikes sound much louder here for whatever reasons and many cars/trucks etc don't even have lights let alone a muffler....

I guess that it's all down to what you like, what is allowed, and what you can stand...

....live and let live...

Hehe,
Yup, those places exist all right in the US.

They're called retirement communities with no kids allowed and geezers with golf carts.*

These are not the geezers I roll with.

*Plaid pants optional. Black socks with sandals mandatory.

CarefulGrower

Love bikes, miss riding. All my on-road bikes were stock pipes to avoid attention, but my dirt bike (yz 450) had a pipe on it that made it sound like a piped Harley, atrocious. Ear plugs a must. I don't really care care how loud a bike is, I care about how much attention they seek with it. I live near a clubhouse, so loud bikes are a reality of the environment, but they aren't blipping them everywhere, just riding, so I'm envious.

I know i'll catch flak for this, but I didn't see it posted.
NSFW (though, Icmag isn't in general ha!)
[YOUTUBEIF]xGyKBFCd_u4[/YOUTUBEIF]

DTFuqua

You know, I ride my bike the way I ride it. I didn't change pipes or anything to make it louder or faster but, I do blip the throttle to avoid low oil pressure when setting at a stop. As for the big hard donkey cock, I haven't seen anyone wanting one except the one that keeps hinting about it, like YOU, COCK BREATH.

foaf

Veteran
It was mentioned at the beginning of the thread, there is a great Southpark that deals with the issue of loud motorcycles, a minute clip that gets to the heart of it is worth the watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkqCmVXXbk4

A few years ago I had a problem with motorcycles sounds that traveled about 1/2 a mile from a river bed where people rode their motorcycles. In fact me and my son rode ours there too. You could have 100 ATVs and 4 stroke motorcycles there and never know it or care, have fun guys. Then a group of 3 or 4 guys with very loud, no muffler 2 stroke racing bikes showed up. They would ride in the middle of the night on full moon nights and it just sounded like a chainsaw in my backyard and the whole neighborhood. So I rode back there and talked with them and they told me to fuck off. Well the neighborhood had to get the area closed off and the wild life and fisheries would come on 4 wheelers and ticket them and now no one can ride back there cause you cant park anywhere near and they come and ticket if neighbors call about noise. Fuckers. Well, we still ride cause we live near and dont need to park but our little Honda 150 four strokes dont make any noise.

CarefulGrower

You know, I ride my bike the way I ride it. I didn't change pipes or anything to make it louder or faster but, I do blip the throttle to avoid low oil pressure when setting at a stop. As for the big hard donkey cock, I haven't seen anyone wanting one except the one that keeps hinting about it, like YOU, COCK BREATH.

Is that directed at me, I swear I brushed my teeth.

Where's the hostility coming from? You said you didn't swap loud pipes on your bike, so how do you think any of the jokes pertain to you?

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Loud pipes bitchez!! :joint:

I sold my bike a few years back when I caught a case of cancer. Harley Dyna Bobster w/ pipes. Stock sounded like a weedeater. I like bikes. I don't mind loud bikes.

When I rode though it's not like you are going to through the neighborhoods blipping the throttle. Be respectful at the right times. Pipes weren't all for attention though, although four wheelers will hear you and be on the lookout on the roads which has a safety factor to it.

Loud pipes just sound amazing on a great looking bike. They are fun.

I like fun.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Loud pipes bitchez!! :joint:

When I rode though it's not like you are going to through the neighborhoods blipping the throttle. Be respectful at the right times. .

This is the key, it's the key to everything in life. Quite simply, don't take the piss.

I knew someone who had a GSXR1100 chop. That was a beast of a machine, it looked like death on wheels and sounded like mass murder.
When riding home from work at night, he would cut the engine when he left the main road, and freewheel it, then flintstone walk it up his street to avoid waking kiddies up.

Ride what you like, but like anything in life, try to have a bit of consideration for the other people in the vicinity.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is the key, it's the key to everything in life. Quite simply, don't take the piss.
That's what I'm getting at. There is a time and place for everything.

Even loud pipes.....

images

mrcreosote

Veteran
Yeah, you gotta be reasonable about opening it up in residential areas. My Electra-glide sounds fairly stock til you hit third gear so I put-put through the neighborhood until I hit the freeway ramp. If I come home late I take the hill and coast down in neutral with the engine off.

Space Toker

Veteran
there is a loud mofo neighbor of mine, races loud trucks or whatever and then crawls by my place, now they are revving noisy atv's or some damn thing and driving me nuts. Making it hard to tell if I am being invaded or just those a-holes. Like many have told me before, I have to move! :D