What's new

no more males?

E

elmanito

Furthermore, most if not all landraces are a thing of the past. These populations have been contaminated by modern cultivars.

Since when are landraces things of the past.You must do some more research bro and you will see that still a lot of landraces are not contaminated by western genetics.It seems you never heard of the Real Seed Company.:yoinks:

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

GreenintheThumb

fuck the ticket, bought the ride
Veteran
Just because someone claims they're selling uncontaminated landraces doesn't mean it's true. It would depend on when and where they were collected. And we're getting pretty far off topic here.

E

elmanito

Just because someone claims they're selling uncontaminated landraces doesn't mean it's true.

I think not that this Parvati strain is contaminated with western genetics.Most western genetics are totally f*cked up nowadays, so that is also the reason people wanna have good landraces to grow nowadays.

picture.php

BTW, i also still use male plants to pollinate my females.:tongue:

VanXant

Sam,

How did you discover that there are "true female" cannabis plants?(no inter-sex genes)

Did you use "true females" ? if so, in what?

maybe the guy who hacked your seedlines did use true females, i dont know so i cant say for sure.

what do you think?

Sam?

your internet fans await you.....

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sorry V im not sam,,,but could you please clarify how you see things.....i see you and tom are on a similar wavelength, so im hangin on your writings bro,,,

if poss,,,would you please correct the bellow statement...:)

"True" Females = XX with sex cromozones fully functioning...

"True" Males = XY with sex chromozones fully functioning,,,,"the Y has not de-graded"

Intersexed Females = XX with sex cromozones functioning ABNORMALY...."Autosome and enviroment interaction is controling the SexExpresion of the indervidual"

Intersexed Males = XY with sex cromozones functioning ABNORMALY,,,,,...."Autosome and enviroment interaction is controling the SexExpresion of the indervidual",,,,,,,,,,,"the Y chromozone IS de-graded"

thanks,,,,it dont matter if you dont answer,,its cool,,i understand im not 100% with IT yet:)

amoril

how can you honestly say a plant can not intersex?

seems there could be an infinite combination of potential stressors, and as such, the plant may have a unique stimulus requirement....?

I'm not a breeder, I just like a good intellectual discussion, and this one seems interesting, so I figured I'd ask a question. If you eliminate males from the breeding stock, how do you stabilize the line without the ability to bx as necessary? What I mean is, if some rare genetic defect pops up due to heavy inbreeding at F8 or F10, how can you eliminate it? Do you have to scrap the whole line? Or just back up a generation and hope it doesn't re-emerge?

I know that in certain lines of dogs (I know, mammals aren't plants, but like I said, I'm not a breeder), there is predisposition to certain ailments like hip dysplasia or epilepsy. If, heaven forbid, some nasty pest crops up for which your all fem line has no resistance, is the only way to save the line by outcrossing? Also, do you collect pollen for later when you make the females drop pollen? It seems like it might be tougher to determine which one is the mom in a random pollination scenario.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeet you're not 100% with the english language yet :yoinks:

Rick afaik we're unsure if the cause of inter-sex individuals is on the autosomes or the sex chromosomes.

hay Green,,,,,:)...am i wrong in thinking? :"the main cause of intersexed inderviduals in diotious populations is because the sex chromozones of the indervidual are not functioning propperly",,,,,

sorry for my writing skills,,,im a heavy tools sort of guy at heart,,:)

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
every time you guys chat about Dioecious weed i allways think of this quote by Edd from Hightimes 1998,,,,,,i see intersexed traits as Monoecious,,,,am i wrong??,,,,

Edd explaines WHY Monoecious hemp is intersexed....it seems pretty simple when kopite is talking about cannabis being sub dioecious

Ask Edd - HighTimes - June 1998 -

becides genetic factors of sex chromozones,,, all plants have a complex set of sex-determining genes on auto-somes,,,,,,,,,these genes come into force when genes controlling sex on the sex chromozones become inactive........Autosomal factors control the sex type of Monoecious offspring........crosses between Dioecious and Monoecious hemp give mainly dioecious hemp, with a small percentage of Monoecious hemp....

E

elmanito

The natural state in which hemp appears was and is dioecious. Monoeciousness is artificial in hemp, it can only exist with the help of man, and without selection, the dioecious state will return in two or three generations. It is therefore very hard and demanding to keep 90 to 95 % monoeciousness during seed multiplications.citation Iván Bócsa Hungarian hemp breeder

Rick, i hope this will answer your question.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The natural state in which hemp appears was and is dioecious. Monoeciousness is artificial in hemp, it can only exist with the help of man, and without selection, the dioecious state will return in two or three generations. It is therefore very hard and demanding to keep 90 to 95 % monoeciousness during seed multiplications.citation Iván Bócsa Hungarian hemp breeder

good quote elmanito:)

it sounds like evoloution is workin with US not against US..........

am i wrong in thinking... "Monoeciousness hemp is similar to intersexed inderviduals in dioecious Canna lines"......???????

K

kopite

how did dioecy evolve ? .... to say its artificial is not correct IMO, I presume its based on the fact that from the herm typically either the fem line or male will be sterile...

(google rhetoric, the above was not a question)

I would not of thought it too hard to keep and maintain a mono hemp line... a quick look at poland use of hemp shows us this....

Only monoecious hemp is grown commercially in Poland, and there are several reasons for this. Monoecious hemp has a very low degree of variability among individual plants, as 95% or more of plants carry both male and female flowers and are sexually undifferentiable. This means that each plant can be harvested for both seed and fibre, and also provides for a very uniform, evenly maturing crop. This facilitates the mechanized harvest, field retting, and subsequent fibre and seed extraction.

Hermaphroditic cannabis plants also produce less mind-altering cannabinoids than their dioecious counterparts, and favour the selective breeding process necessary to obtain low cannabinoid content. The primary motive in the quest for THC free cannabis is clearly legal and not agricultural.

I believe Dr Bosca has more emphasis on quality where as the countries that grow mono crops are interested more in yield/fibre ? ... also I believe they plant more densely ? but only Hungry, and a few other countries(Italy??) use dioecious species?

did you take the info from a CC article ?

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/1125.html

Kopite

E

elmanito

How did dioecious evolve????Difficult to say, more plants like Ginkgo biloba, Rhodiola rosea etc are dioecious.

I think what Iván Bócsa meant is from his own observation as hemp breeder in Hungary.What breeders do in Poland Ukraine etc is artificial.I've grown my self the landrace USO-31.There were pure males between them.If they were sterile i dont know, but my observation was that the strain was not entirely monoecious.

So the question is still, do we need males for pollination.I think we do, but for more of the minor characteristics like fragrance, pest resistance.

Mr. Stinky

if we start out with a rather large population, like 500, the spread should be there correct? 250 males 250 females. open pollinated. just the first 2 weeks, enuf to pollinate the pre flowers is all. then work with only the better females in all the following 100 plant grows. once im thru those seeds, keeping maybe 100 m/f seed in case i would ever want to go back, i should have a pretty good stock of all female seed. that stock would then be worked thru the same way, making more stock with the best 25 in each group. after enuf selection, possibly making 2 or 3 different lines, i would start line breeding to fix traits, hopefully with enuf spread to avoid slow plants. sounds like work, but ill be growing anyway, so it wont make a diference. just a slow process over a few years. i grow in large beds, so males create havoc in my spacing. it will be nice to be rid of him.

Latest posts

Latest posts