What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NL5xHz test comparison grow outdoor greenhouse grow

Piff_cat

1710644544371.jpeg

some of the males strong resemblance to g13 x haze C f1 soma male used throughout 2000s. this male super long flowering and passed on haze heavy traits. its the best source of male C genetics.

its crystal clear that mr nice nl5 x haze C is f2 or worse . the red pistils should not show up in any nl5 haze f1, at least ive never seen it. it comes from the mazar imo and it does show up in skunk 1 x haze C. the fact that the pink pistil also rotted is the icing on the cake as most haze/sativa very resisitant to bud rot.

the mutant plants you made with the nl5 haze x ctf5 still some of my favorite ladies ever seen. these recombination phenos found in proper 69 haze lines have smooth edge leave with many stalkless trichomes and giant calyxs.

funkyhorse

That nirvana haze is looking nice! Did you ever diagnose what the issue was, or did they just grow out of it?
Hi there🙏
No, I have no clue what it was. It never grew out of it and the plant was runt. It showed sex as a male and I culled
I bought a few Nirvana strain regular packs 5 years ago. I cant believe this is considered old and out of catalogue strains in the canna world
This is the first time I grow something from Nirvana. I made seed with the 2 different male phenos separately
Haze Nirvana girl 1 for the fans. This one is a lot more leafy than her sister
First 2 pics are lower buds and the third pic full plant around 2,5 meters tall in a 20 lt pot
Haze Nirvana 1.jpeg
Haze Nirvana 1 (2).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 1 (3).jpeg

Particularly these NL5xHz F3 males are not superlong flowering and they are not very vigorous. The F3s are all slow growers. In the F4 you see taller plants but quality of the final product was not on par with the F3s. So I took a little bit more pollen from the selected male which is the longest flowering but not that long flowering here, has the longest branching and is the most productive, he starts flowering one month before the autumm equinox and has enough pollen to pollinate the girls before the equinox.
For me thai is long flowering, starts to sex after the equinox

I will try backcrossing too with a few plants using that F3 male with these NL5 x Hz F3 x CTF5.
All plants are 2,5 meter tall and taller
I can only take lower bud pictures, the rest at harvest. Look at bottom left it is the NL5 x Hz F3 girl 1. She is more advanced than the sisters from the outcross with the Chocolate Thai male
NL5 x Hz F3 x CTF5 general pic. I have 4 girls from the mutated mom and 7 girls from the non mutant. There are differences in branching and probably in the flowering there will be too. Outdoors they look different than indoors
NL5 x Hz F3 x ctf5 (4).jpeg

This is the NL5 x Hz F3 girl 1 top shot from the bottom left picture above. They are not making much resin at the moment
NL5 x Hz F3 girl 1.jpeg

I have nothing from Soma but I am growing 4 different G13 crosses. For sure the G13 is a very nice story but highly unlikely. I cant believe PHDs in botany would try growing this in Mississipi

G13 x Skunk from Seedsman Skunkman Range has same problems as NL5 x Hz Mr Nice. I didnt get quality from anything I grew from Mr Nice so far. I bought same year and at the same distributor as the Haze Nirvana seeds
I think trichoderma helped this girl arrive at this stage. I have 5 more sisters behind
G13 x Skunk girl 1. I am happy I can harvest this at this stage and try it. Sisters are coming behind. If I leave this one to mature more I will lose buds to botrytis and I prefer to smoke them. Smells are not indica. Soft smells
G13 x skunk 1 (3).jpeg
G13 x skunk 1 (5).jpeg
G13 x skunk 1 (6).jpeg

Dirt Life

Veteran
Hey funkyhorse! Thanks for the reply... Mr. Nice seeds have been a crapshoot for me.. I got a nice Skunk x Haze from them (leaning more skunk than haze.. and stinky!), used it in a couple of crosses. BTW, I'm loving the structure on the NL5 x Hz F3 x CTF5, especially that middle tall girl... definitely see the difference between the NL5 x Haze F3 in the bottom left..

funkyhorse

This week was a huge storm and very humid all week
Some strains show amazing and unexpected resistence to humidity like Haze 1 from Nirvana and others have difficulty here like Deedee at mid flowering.
At this part of the world we never smoked Sour Diesel at highschool, we smoked paraguayans

Mushrooms after the rain never were so big. It is full of mosquitos all over. Too much water in a very short time. The bottom greenhouse got smashed with the winds, will have to make it again. They grow wild inside the GH as well
wild mushrooms.jpeg

So I am starting to chop one plant a day all of the NL5 x Hz Mr Nice, this strain needs drier weather
Indica fruity smells not of my liking like all of her sisters
NL5 x Hz girl 2 was grown in 12 liter pot.
First pic is top shot
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice 2 top shot.jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice 2 (1).jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice 2 (2).jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice 2 (3).jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice 2 (4).jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice 2 (5).jpeg

G13 x Skunk girl 2 got the chop as well, not happy with high humidity. The most resinous female of the bunch
G13 x skunk 2 (4).jpeg
G13 x skunk 2 (2).jpeg

funkyhorse

I chopped 2 more NL5 x Hz Mr Nice. 2 more left
All of the plants have same profile and similar terpenes
This is NL5 x Hz Mr Nice girl 3 hanging in the drying room. I forgot to take pics
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice 3 (2).jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice 3 (4).jpeg

This is Beauty Queen of the season pink pistil pheno
When I see this then is time for chopping
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice pink pistil rot (3).jpeg

Beauty Queen Top shot
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice pink pistil top shot (1).jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice pink pistil top shot (2).jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice pink pistil top shot (3).jpeg

On the right is Beauty Queen and on the left is Special Big sticky queen of the season so far
SB izquierda NL5 x Hz Mr Nice pink pistil derecha.jpeg

Special Big (Nigeria LMN x Haze Special KC Brains)
First pic top shot and then lowers
SB door top shot (2).jpeg
SB door (14).jpeg
SB door (16).jpeg

funkyhorse

All are lower buds. The flowering of the NL5 x Hz F3 is very different from the indoor run.
NL5 x Hz F3 girl 1
NL5 x Hz F3 1 (2).jpeg

NL5 x Hz F3 girl 2
NL5 x Hz F3 2.jpeg

NL5 x Hz F3 girl 3
NL5 x Hz F3 3.jpeg

NL5 x Hz F3 girl 4
NL5 x Hz F3 4.jpeg

NL5 x Hz F3 girl 5
NL5 x Hz F3 5.jpeg

NL5 x Hz F3 girl 6 is a runt, this is the top shot. Maybe from cut she will grow better?
NL5 x Hz F3 6.jpeg

NL5 x Hz F4 this is the most advanced one and very different from the F3 sisters. This one is flowering similar to the indoor run except it seems to make more resin outdoors
I have 1 F4 similar to this and 2 more which are the longest flowering of the bunch and they are just starting flowering
NL5 x Hz F4 (2).jpeg
NL5 x Hz F4 (3).jpeg

funkyhorse

All of the cuts of the above plants made roots in 10-15 days. I hope in 2 weeks time they start growing and in one month they reveg undrr 16 hours of light

All of the Mr Nice NL5xHz smell the same and have similar problems. A few rotten buds, not too bad, just cut and chuck and smoke the rest. I dont like smells nor terpenes. Consistent same profile for all of them
One plant left from the Mr Nice is the only one I didnt see rot. Tomorrow when trimming I will check closely
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice 4 (1).jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice 4 (2).jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice 4 (3).jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice 4 (4).jpeg

goingrey

All of the cuts of the above plants made roots in 10-15 days. I hope in 2 weeks time they start growing and in one month they reveg undrr 16 hours of light

All of the Mr Nice NL5xHz smell the same and have similar problems. A few rotten buds, not too bad, just cut and chuck and smoke the rest. I dont like smells nor terpenes. Consistent same profile for all of them
One plant left from the Mr Nice is the only one I didnt see rot. Tomorrow when trimming I will check closely
View attachment 18979289 View attachment 18979290 View attachment 18979291 View attachment 18979292
What do they smell like?

funkyhorse

What do they smell like?
Indica smells, fruity
Haze 1 Nirvana tall girl is starting to make these fruity smells too

In the local market everything is fast weed with weird smells. I used to smoke tropical sativas all my life. I started growing because I couldnt find the weed I like and the ones I was used to

The NL5xHz F3 from Tropical dont have these smells. They have sativa terpenes in the indoor run. Outdoors they are different, they dont have smells yet

Things have changed a lot from the 90s to today

I am realizing just now I am growing another Sour Diesel and it has these fruity indica smells as well
Lemon Larry is a OG Kush cross made with a Sour Diesel male
It gives little rocks full of trichomes with these fruity indica smells or fragances I dont like
G13 x Lemon Larry lower buds. They surprisingly are not complaining about the humid weather so far. Sticky
G13 x LL 1 (2).jpeg
G13 x LL 2.jpeg

Piff_cat

Is there a noticable difference in mold tropical vs Mr nice? I'd expect the tropical to be very resistant

funkyhorse

Is there a noticable difference in mold tropical vs Mr nice? I'd expect the tropical to be very resistant
What is noticeable is these lines only share in common the name. They are not even related genetics
The NL5 x Hz Mr Nice is a hashplant. Nirvana Haze 1 is also a hashplant but has different smells and structure than the Mr Nice ones
I bought it here, same place as the Nirvana ones

NL5 x Hz Mr Nice and Nirvana Haze 1 have the same flowering onset here. They both start right after Biblical Magi day. These both are very long flowering hashplants. I chopped them both inmmature around 80 days flowering since they showed first pistil. I still have one Nirvana girl going, they are much taller than the Mr Nice bushes

TSCo line starts the flowering onset 40-45 days later
The F3 is special. Is a huge serendipity. At sensi in the end of 80s beginning 90s noone had a clue what they were doing when Nevil was not there
When made this F3 repro, the TSCo seedmaker had no clue what he had in his hands.
This is the beauty of ignorance
When people think they start knowing and ignorance is being replaced by inflated egos, this is when the lines get fucked up
I have 2 different F4s from 2 different mothers. One of them is the most advanced girl and I have a cut of her sister, I accidentally broke the whole plant but I have the cuts alive so I will know how it smokes
I have 2 F4s girls which are probably coming from the same motyher and they are the latest flowering of the line

The F3s have this feature I didnt see indoors. They grow a lot of very little trichomes on bracts. The F4s I had so far dont do it.
I ran F4s outdoors to make seed, same with the hybrid cross with Chocolate Thai. They didnt rot at all. I dont think they will, it is clearly not an indica, you dont make hash from this one
Another thing to note is I run a cross Coljam x same Chocolate Thai male. It was very dissapointing. Why this particular cross of that male with NL5 x Hz is so good I dont know.
I hope you can see the feature, this is F3 girl 3. It is the average girl, there is more and less resin in the sisters
NL5 x Hz F3 3 (2).jpeg

Nirvana Haze 1 girl 2 got the chop
For this part of the world she did it better than expected
I dont dislike the live smells of the plant
I hope I like it, very very sticky
Seed was done with 2 different selections of Nirvana males and made an outcross with the home hybrid so I will have a fast flowering onset weed line if I like this
This Nirvana girl clearly dont like the longer wet nights, top shot rot in less than 24 hours, so she get the chop
Haze Nirvana 2 (4).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 2 top shot rot (2).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 2 (7).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 2 (5).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 2 (6).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 2 (8).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 2 (10).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 2 (11).jpeg

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
What is noticeable is these lines only share in common the name. They are not even related genetics
The old nirvana haze was original haze from Positronic,the current version is (at best) a mix of NL/skunk/haze...

MNS NL5 x haze (aka 5hzC) is made by a haze male(haze C?) crossed with a female NL5 from seeds made by Nevil (not the famous cut)...

Ps,to avoid the usual controversies, I found the information years ago in the mns forum. :)

funkyhorse

The old nirvana haze was original haze from Positronic,the current version is (at best) a mix of NL/skunk/haze...
What you say is the old Nirvana Haze was the same as Tom Hill Haze?
Basically another original haze repro from Posi?

The modern MNS line is a 100% indica. No haze in it. What was in the past and what was posted decades ago is something different than current releases, not only MNS

Lets see. You say NL/skunk/haze
Haze Nirvana 1 left and Ohz x Skunk from Cultivators Choice right. In the back is a P1 thai
Haze Nirvana 1 left ohz x skunk right.jpeg

You can see the photoperiod is different. The structure is different too
The SamS cross looks haze. It has long internodes and is taller than the tallest Nirvana girl
There is a 50 day difference in the flowering onset

So this is a comparison thread
I am growing Ohz x Skunk and THH side by side. I am using Ohz x Skunk to measure how good the trichoderma treatment is. If it is helps me pass mid flower without rot from Ohz x Skunk then it helps a lot
This THH is a repro from Spain shared by grower Xiskito from Cannabiscafe
Xiskito is the pioneer of the 100 seed pack. He sent me 300 seed so I can find the 5%
They have been sprouted same day
They show sex around same time here, 3 weeks before autumm equinox
Ohz x Skunk left and THH right. THH makes beautiful leaves but stays a lot shorter than the Ohz x Skunk
Both are very different from the modern Nirvana release
Ohz x skunk left Thh right.jpeg

@willydread
Did you grow the old Nirvana haze? If you did is it similar to THH?

Nirvana Haze 1 girl 1 is out too
A few rotten buds in less than 24 hours, the strain dont like long humid nights
Very productive, smells indica
I hope it has a high and I hope I like it. It is good thing to have a fast photoperiod line with a good high
Haze 1 Nirvana girl 1
Haze Nirvana 1 (1).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 1 (5).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 1 (4).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 1 (7).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 1 (8).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 1 (9).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 1 (10).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 1 (11).jpeg

Dirt Life

Veteran
Hey funkyhorse! Toms haze is derived from original haze from Posi.. a lot of ppl thought it came from the Haze 19 Posi offered, but, Tom confirmed it was not, it was OH. Nirvana did use old Posi Haze 19 in some of their gear, I grew an excellent Haze 19 x Skunk for a decade before I lost her.. some of the trippiest weed I ever smoked. As far as their OH offered, as willy said, started pure, now prob not.
Thing about Nirvana is you don't know what's completely true since nothing was ever really disclosed about their seedmaking.. they started as an F2 knockoff seed bank (using old already worked genetics), and have always "created" their own versions of known lines with different in house genetics (AK 48, Jock Horror, ect..). Even the story of how Nirvana came to be has a shady past, depending on which version you believe.
Well, enough of that.. great thread as I said before! I'm really enjoying seeing the comparisons.. 👍

goingrey

Hey funkyhorse! Toms haze is derived from original haze from Posi.. a lot of ppl thought it came from the Haze 19 Posi offered, but, Tom confirmed it was not, it was OH. Nirvana did use old Posi Haze 19 in some of their gear, I grew an excellent Haze 19 x Skunk for a decade before I lost her.. some of the trippiest weed I ever smoked. As far as their OH offered, as willy said, started pure, now prob not.
Thing about Nirvana is you don't know what's completely true since nothing was ever really disclosed about their seedmaking.. they started as an F2 knockoff seed bank (using old already worked genetics), and have always "created" their own versions of known lines with different in house genetics (AK 48, Jock Horror, ect..). Even the story of how Nirvana came to be has a shady past, depending on which version you believe.
Well, enough of that.. great thread as I said before! I'm really enjoying seeing the comparisons.. 👍
I thought they started with a Skunk #1 male that they used with "everything"?

Dirt Life

Veteran
Close, it was supposedly a "purple skunk" that they crossed everything with. Again, no proof that's not the case, but imo, I grew a lot of their old catalog over the years, and didn't get purple skunks popping up everywhere, so I don't personally believe that one. But, again, it's not proof it didn't happen... 😉

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
What you say is the old Nirvana Haze was the same as Tom Hill Haze?
Yes and no,many old things of nirvana (like dutch passion) coming from Positronic, like Tom Hill Haze, but both made their own selection, also I think there is a good amount of Thai blood in Tom Haze...

The modern MNS line is a 100% indica.
I can't totally agree here, I think Shanti selected towards the more "manageable" side indoors (how can you select it if it's f1?) , personally I found 5hzC more "hazey" than the current Nevil haze, but it's a personal opinion...
I liked it...

The SamS cross looks haze. It has long internodes and is taller than the tallest Nirvana girl
I read somewhere that they now sell amnesia as haze, I don't know if it's true, but I've seen many photos of plants like yours that could confirm this rumor...
Sam's looks like a really nice sk/hz, more haze dom...
Did you grow the old Nirvana haze?
Many many years ago, I don't remember much about her, Tom Haze I grew her a few years ago, the few things I can remember is that nirvana haze was green, while Tom has pheno purple, and in both lines I didn't find incense, however I think I have made all kinds of mistakes so I am not a reliable witness....
If I 'm not wrong @yoss33 did it many years ago...
I have grown Nirvana's Nl5hz several times and it has always been a great strain...

Anyway, good plants!

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I thought they started with a Skunk #1 male that they used with "everything"?
Yes, there was this rumor in the past (the famous purple skunk male from Mau), well, I don't know whether to believe it or not, after having done a few of their things over the years I can say that some varieties have remained exceptional, others are simply a joke, certainly I wouldn't rely too much on their descriptions...

Last edited: