What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NL5xHz test comparison grow outdoor greenhouse grow

funkyhorse

After trying extensively modern genetics, I liked very very little, quality numbers from commercial canna stock are close to 1%, the 5% myth is just that, a myth.
I clearly prefer traditional weed without ego attached to it over egotistic modern genetics
The modern weed I liked all had in common the parental stock was bred in the 20th century. I liked the lucky indoor foxtail THH pheno, my lucky Senegal haze from Afropips, I liked Malawi fem from Ace, I liked my lucky Seedsman hz july pheno and the mutant NL5xHz 91 F3 from TSCo

THH outdoors dont grow like indoors
Senegal Haze I crossed with Seedsman Hz/Ohz 90 and the cross is not good. it brought a lot of productivity but the high with the organoleptics got diluted and progeny makes a lot of intersex
The Malawi fem from Ace is an indica plant with sativa high and as any other indica it makes a lot of fungus and botrytis, not a good plant to grow in this environment
My Seedsman Hz repro is full of mutants, full of low productivity plants and the high got diluted. I would grow again only if I find unavailable original packs

When I tried samples of the NL5xHz 91 outdoors they grew well. They didnt make PM nor rot. Progeny I made with it grew well too and one of them is the best hybrid I tried so far
So here we go
I pregerminated on november 12th and all NL5xHz seeds showed roots very fast surprisingly including my own repros(when I made the seed I didnt know how to dry properly) in less than 48 hours. Most of the seeds needed helmet and membrane removal but it was easy to do. All seeds sourced in 2019
1)19 seeds NL5xHz 91 F3 TSCo. 16 showed roots and 15 are up
I have 2 packs. One of them was from a single mom, the other pack I dont know
I have started to uppot today
These 3 are different, it might be due to helmet removal but the only ones to show this mutated thing is this line from the F3
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo (1).jpeg

NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo (2).jpeg

I had a similar Red Snake like this one above but he grew out of it and this one will grow out of it too hopefully
2)12 seeds NL5xHz F4 TSCo 10 showed roots and 9 are up
10 seeds Haze Nirvana only 7 showed roots and 6 are up
NL5 x Hz grow germination (1).jpeg
NL5 x Hz grow germination (2).jpeg

3)NL5xHz Mr Nice
18 seeds showed roots in 48 hours. 17 seedlings are up
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice germination.jpeg

4)My best hybrid is Double Extra Leaflet
NL5xHz 91 F3 mutant x CTF5
I had 7 seeds left, all showed roots but only 4 up so far
5)I decided to test the lucky CTF5 recessive sativa male, if he is the one bringing the high or not
So I sprouted 9 seeds from sister NL5xHz 91 F3 non mutant which was meh crossed with the CTF5 male and I got 7 seedlings up I think
6)Continuing testing the CTF5 male this is Double Jam beautiful lettuce pheno no high but nice hash, the Double Jam I have is a charas plant x CTF5 male. If this cross has any high then it is the CTF5 male
9 seeds sprouted. All of them came up on the 4th day. This test is showing clearly that germination of seedlings is determined by the female mother. Seedlings germinate like mom
DJ x ctf5.jpeg

7) Coljam x CTF5
Coljam is very problematic here. Local fauna loves praying on it. Many indicas are like that
It is an indoor strain, it has absolutely no landrace resistance
One seedling has been eaten by local fauna and I hope it is the last one
Seeds showed roots after 3-4 days and they are slowly coming up
This Coljam mom had floral smells and the only Coljam plant I smoked. If it smokes better than mom then it is the dad
Coljam x ctf5.jpeg

This is the only plant I am smoking from last year grow:
Northern Thailand girl 1, I want to grow at least 5 big plants to harvest next winter. My only creeper plant
I am looking for a boyfriend for her. I will test her progeny from the 2 late Northern Thai males next autumm hoping for creeper weed progeny
N Thai 1 reveg (2).jpeg

Northern Thailand girl 8 survived winter too. The longest flowering plants are the only ones to survive the winter here
This plant is the most resinous of the thais. In winter she makes a lot of fungus and the most sticky plants tend to have botrytis here
It is not productive and has a mild high
I can source from the local agricultural shop liquid trichoderma. I think it can be used in flower too. I wonder if trichoderma treatment will prevent PM and if it will bring a better high as a result
Contrary to modern weed, I found differences in the quality of the high of the same cut of this Thai grown in tropical weather or in colder subtropical winter being muuuch better the tropical grow.
This is Northern Thai girl 8
N Thai 8 reveg (2).jpeg

Last edited:

blondie

I only have had true creeper weed once!! I would love to grow true creeper weed. Looking good so far funkyhorse.

funkyhorse

These are the numbers so far
I have 15 seedlings NL5 x Hz 91 F3, these are the slowest growers
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo.jpeg

7 seedlings NL5 x Hz 91 F4 Plants show different vigour
NL5 x Hz F4 TSCo.jpeg

15 seedlings NL5 x Hz Mr Nice. With a couple of exceptions they all show vigour and they seem fatter leaf than the Tropical Seeds Co version
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice (3).jpeg

NL5xHz Mr Nice mutant
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice (2).jpeg

Haze Nirvana 6 seedlings, 1 is mutated
Haze Nirvana.jpeg

Double Jam x CTF5 9 seedlings
DJ x ctf5 (2).jpeg

NL5xHz F3 1 x CTF5 7 seedlings.
I grew previously Coljam x CTF5 side by side with this and it wasnt good at all so I culled them. This means it is not the male but the combination of the genetics what brought the high
NL5 x Hz F3 1 x ctf5.jpeg

NL5xHz F3 2 x CTF5 11 seedlings
NL5 x Hz F3 2 x ctf5.jpeg

NL5xHz F3 2 x CTF5 mutant. This must be from the dad
NL5 x Hz F3 x ctf5 2 mutant (3).jpeg
NL5 x Hz F3 x ctf5 2 mutant (4).jpeg

Piff_cat

Always love your plants. The first f3 nl5hz with the square red stems I recently learned what causes this.

They are called clavata mutants or clv for short. It's actually a form of fasciation

. The square shape is caused by a big increase in the stem cells population at the shoot apical meristem. Specifically meristem becomes taller which increases vertical growth and flattens the stems. The nodes grow like a ladder both equal size instead of offset

As compared to the green "predator haze" which is extreme fasciation the clv mutant is much closer to normal looking except double leaves/self top and increased organ size. The trait is copy number sensitive so it should become more extreme each generation

funkyhorse

Today's update
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice (4).jpeg

NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo (3).jpeg

NL5 x Hz F4 TSCo
NL5 x Hz F4 TSCo (1).jpeg
NL5 x Hz F4 TSCo (2).jpeg

Haze Nirvana
Haze Nirvana (2).jpeg

Haze Nirvana mutant coming back
Haze Nirvana (1).jpeg

NL5 x Hz F3 1 TSCo x CTF5
NL5 x Hz F3 1 x ctf5 (2).jpeg

NL5 x Hz F3 2 TSCo x CTF5
NL5 x Hz F3 2 TSCo x ctf5.jpeg

Double Jam x CTF5, I am intending to sex them in 0,4 lt pots and then cull the males
DJ x ctf5 (3).jpeg

Northern Thai 2008 girl 1 in the back and Northern Thai girl 8 in front revegged
N Thai 1 back n Thai 8 front.jpeg

Have a nice weekend everybody

funkyhorse

Maybe somebody can help
This is Haze Nirvana mutant
This seems to be sistemic
It is out of the greenhouse and out of the rest of the plants
Anybody knows what this is and if it has a cure?
Haze Nirvana mutant (1).jpeg
Haze Nirvana mutant (2).jpeg

This is NL5 x Hz F3 from TSCo
A few plants have problems, I uppoted last week to 5 lts to see if they improve vigour and I gave to everything liquid sulphur treatment
What is the problem? A few of them dont grow new green leaves like all the rest of the strains.
The rest of the grow no problems, it seems it is this specific batch of seed
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo (1).jpeg
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo (2).jpeg
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo (3).jpeg

What about this NL5xHz F3 specimen?
It is in the shadow outside of any other plant seeing if it can recover, but no success, it is not getting any better even after uppot to 3,5 lts with new soil
Any idea what the problem is and if there is a remedy?
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo (6).jpeg

Thank you very much and happy 2024

funkyhorse

To my surprise they are all starting to sex 17 days after summer solstice with day lenght over 14 hours of light
They have the same flowering onset as Ancestral Skunk sativa, so this grow will probably be ready end of march, which is end of september in northern hemisphere

NL5xHz Mr Nice only one left to sex. 7 males and 6 girls so far. All males got culled
I uppotted 2 girls on 20 lt pots and the rest will go on 12 lt pots

Haze Nirvana has sexed as well

From the NL5xHz F3 mutant girl x CTF5 I have so far 2 boys and 2 girls out of 7 plants so I will be able to make F2 and from her sister I saw today a couple of males

NL5 x Hz F3 and F4 TSCo I saw a couple of males sexing today. I believe all the grow is gonna be uppotted and sexed this week

By the time NL5 x Hz finnish outdoors, thai or other tropical sativa plants just start to sex

funkyhorse

It seems updates will be weekly, I didnt expect some of them to be fast photoperiod
This is NL5 x Hz F3 TSco
They all greened back, this is the last one greening and starting to have new growth
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo (8).jpeg

No sex yet, it is the only line without sexing so far, they are all sexing in 5 lt pots hoping they get some size
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo (7).jpeg

NL5 x Hz F4 TSco
One is sexed, 3 probable males the rest have to see yet
This is sexed girl
NL5 x Hz F4 TSCo girl in 20lt.jpeg

And this is the group
NL5 x Hz F4 TSCo (2).jpeg

Haze Nirvana 2 girls, on the left is the girl the rest are probably boys
Haze Nirvana (2).jpeg

Haze Nirvana girl right and NL5 x Hz F3 x CTF5 v.2 left
Out of 11 plants, I have 6 girls sexed from the NL5 x Hz F3 x CTF5 v.2
Haze Nirvana right NL5 x Hz F3 2 x ctf5 left.jpeg

NL5 x Hz F3 x CTF5 v.1
2 girls and 2 boys so far
This is the 11 leaflet girl at this stage
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo x ctf5 1 11 leaflets.jpeg

And this the group left of NL5 x Hz F3 x CTF5 v1 and v2, Next days they will probably all show sex
NL5 x Hz F3 x ctf5.jpeg

NL5 x Hz Mr Nice is all sexed. 7 boys all got culled and 7 girls
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice (3).jpeg

Have a nice sunday

funkyhorse

Huge heatwave these days
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice are the only girls flowering
The rest of the sexed girls are not flowering yet

Boys are flowering and some are releasing pollen
These are Nirvana Haze males
2 of them have pine tree structure and one of them is fat leaf like one of the girls
Nirvana haze males.jpeg

I have 3 boys and 3 girls from the NL5 x Hz F3 x CTF5 and still one plant left for sexing
Boys are flowering
This one have leaf with 11 leaflets
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo x ctf5 1 11 leaflets (2).jpeg

This one have leaf with 9 leaflets and is a tiny bit taller than his brother
NL5 x Hz F3 x ctf5 1 (3).jpeg

And this is half brother made with a sister NL5 x Hz F3 non mutant x CTF5 male and so far has leaf with 10 leaflets which is clearly coming from dad
NL5 x Hz F3 2 TSCo x ctf5 male 10 leaflets (1).jpeg
NL5 x Hz F3 2 TSCo x ctf5 male 10 leaflets (2).jpeg

This is NL5 x Hz 91 F3
They are slow growers but slowly they are getting some size
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo (10).jpeg

This NL5 x Hz 91 F3 shows variegation and grows twisted leaves. Is the only one of the bumch with 11 leaflets, the rest are 9 leaflets per leaf or less
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo variegated (1).jpeg

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Nice!
The only time I have seen plants behave like this is because I had exaggerated with the fertilizer (or even when I made a sensational mistake in the percentages of the bicarbonate and water solution against PM, I'm pretty good at making trouble)...
Is this the latest version of haze nirvana? From what little I understand it's a sort of ssh /amnesia, but they once had a good version of o-haze, definitely "pure"...
I love their sterling haze, even though it seems out of stock...
You are missing the Sensiseeds version! ;) :D

funkyhorse

The Sensi seeds version is the one from Tropical Seeds which is an F3 from a 91 pack
These F3 11 plants sexed out of 14. 5 girls and 6 boys. The first boy was culled
The girls are about 1,5 meter tall
The F4s 3 boys, 2 girls a little taller than the F3s at 1,7 meter and the 2 smallest plants unsexed
These are the NL5 x Hz F3 girls
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo (12).jpeg

You made me check Willy
This is the version of Nirvana I am growing
I bought it at this place RIP in 2019
The strain is not available anymore, the regular packs I bought are not on sale, only feminized
Strains and seedbanks are out of catalogue too fast at the canna world
This Nirvana Haze 1 have shown sex last month and started to flower beginning of this month
I will probably pollinate them next week. I have 2 different male phenos, the slower one is a tall fat leaf male

I am pollinizing tomorrow these NL5 x Hz Mr Nice with the fast Nirvana Haze 1 males and with the fast males from the NL5 x Hz x CTF5 cross.
The NL5 x hz Mr Nice 2 out of 7 girls are showing pink pistils
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice (1).jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice (6).jpeg

They have quite uniform size, no matter if they are in 12 lt or 20 lt pots
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice (7).jpeg

These are the NL5 x Hz F3 x CTF5
They are all sexed in 20 lts but they didnt start to flower yet. Their brothers in 5 lts pots are flowering
NL5 x Hz F3 x ctf5 (2).jpeg

funkyhorse

All plants are sexed this week one month before equinox
Nl 5 x Hz 91 F3 6 girls 8 boys
All girls look similar and all boys look similar
They are on the right, on the left NL5 x Hz F3 x CTF5
NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo right.jpeg

NL5 x Hz 91 F4 4 girls 3 boys. In an accident I broke one of them and I am trying to clone her
They are on the left, on the right are all of the NL5 x Hz x CTF5 girls
NL5 x Hz F3 x ctf5 (3).jpeg

NL5 x Hz Mr Nice are all similar plants, short wide bushes around 1,5 meters tall
They are the most advanced.
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice (8).jpeg

Haze Nirvana left and NL5 x Hz Mr Nice right.
In front is G13 x Lemon Larry. I am curious about OG Kush, I wonder if it can finnish here
Haze Nirvana and NL5 x Hz Mr Nice.jpeg

funkyhorse

These are the most advanced ones, they are doing not bad at high humidity, these are days of 90% average humidity
I have 2 Haze Nirvana girls, this one is the fastest one the other is a little behind and is a taller girl
Haze Nirvana (1).jpeg
Haze Nirvana (3).jpeg

These are different top shots of NL5xHz Mr Nice girls
They are starting to get fat and they are doing not bad despite humidity and bugs
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice (9).jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice (10).jpeg
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice (11).jpeg

These ones are a test for trichoderma treatment
The pistils are very thick, they look like roots
G13 x Skunk Seedsman Skunkman Range
G13 x skunk (1).jpeg
G13 x skunk (3).jpeg
G13 x skunk (5).jpeg

G13 x Lemon Larry lower bud, I hope they finnish here, these strains are very challenging on humid weather
G13 x LL lower bud.jpeg

funkyhorse

These are the males from the Tropical seeds line
I had a total of 8 males from te F3 and 3 nales from the F4
The fastest male from the F3 I chopped, I have 7 males remaining
3 F3 males and 2 F4 males got attacked by local fauna, they were the fastest males with the most pollen, so this is natural selection. They are producing pollen again now

I am selecting this F3 boy for the repro. He is the latest boy
I am selecting him because of the way he flowers and structure. Long branches and productive. At the greenhouse flowering onset and time doesnt matter.
NL5 x Hz F3 male select.jpeg

These are the rest of the boys
On the left is F3 boy that got split and grows two top shots and another brother on the right
NL5 x Hz F3 male (1).jpeg

This is the selected F3 boy on the left together with F3 brother making chunky triangular shape buds
NL5 x Hz F3 male (2).jpeg

Another view this time F3 chunky boy left and selected F3 boy on the right
NL5 x Hz F3 male.jpeg

These are the F4 boys attacked, one of them is the tallest boy 2,5 meter tall in a 5 liter pot. Local fauna(ants) ate the pollen but didnt touch the leaves of any of the boys. The boys are producing pollen again
NL5 x Hz F4 male.jpeg

And this F4 boy is very similar to the F3 selected boy but the F3 though is the latest boy is more productive
NL5 x Hz F4 male (2).jpeg

Beauty Queen of the Season
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice pink pistil.jpeg

Piff_cat

The Sensi seeds version is the one from Tropical Seeds which is an F3 from a 91 pack
These F3 11 plants sexed out of 14. 5 girls and 6 boys. The first boy was culled
The girls are about 1,5 meter tall
The F4s 3 boys, 2 girls a little taller than the F3s at 1,7 meter and the 2 smallest plants unsexed
These are the NL5 x Hz F3 girls
View attachment 18961066

You made me check Willy
This is the version of Nirvana I am growing
I bought it at this place RIP in 2019
The strain is not available anymore, the regular packs I bought are not on sale, only feminized
Strains and seedbanks are out of catalogue too fast at the canna world
This Nirvana Haze 1 have shown sex last month and started to flower beginning of this month
I will probably pollinate them next week. I have 2 different male phenos, the slower one is a tall fat leaf male

I am pollinizing tomorrow these NL5 x Hz Mr Nice with the fast Nirvana Haze 1 males and with the fast males from the NL5 x Hz x CTF5 cross.
The NL5 x hz Mr Nice 2 out of 7 girls are showing pink pistils
View attachment 18961063 View attachment 18961064
They have quite uniform size, no matter if they are in 12 lt or 20 lt pots
View attachment 18961065

These are the NL5 x Hz F3 x CTF5
They are all sexed in 20 lts but they didnt start to flower yet. Their brothers in 5 lts pots are flowering
View attachment 18961067
Some very desirable meristem traits in the first pic. Clearly initiating 2 primordia simultaneously. This is due to increased shoot meristem surface area and higher auxin production. Strong breeding material

funkyhorse

At this part of the world at the periphery, the only way to see what we have is making comparative grows
The only thing the lines have in common is the name

I agree with Piff Cat. I think the NL5 x Hz F3 from TSCo girls are interesting for breeding but I dont think the same about ther males. I am taking cuts of all the girls and hopefully reveg them indoors in order to outcross them with some landrace thai pollen donor

One of the plants I took a cut of and I am already discarding is the Beauty Queen of the Season
This week it was full rain and full 99% humidity for 4 days. I didnt need to water these days. I think tomorrow in the morning is first watering after the rains
Both pink pistil phenos of NL5 x Hz Mr Nice had rot this morning. I cut and chuck the rotten buds and left the plants to see. The next time I see a rotten bud the whole plant gets the chop
I fed trichoderma. I think it probably helped arrive to this stage, probably without trichoderma would have had rot before. At least I am arriving close to the end of flowering
Fruity smells, clearly indica, all plants look the same and smell the same
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice pink pistil pheno, not the proper environment for her
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice pink pistil rot (2).jpeg

At this stage NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo has very little resin. All pics are lower buds
Girl 1 is the most resinous of them
NL5 x Hz F3 1.jpeg

NL5 x Hz F3 Girl 4
NL5 x Hz F3 girl 4.jpeg

NL5 x Hz F3 Girl 5
NL5 x Hz F3 girl 5.jpeg

I have this hybrid going NL5 x Hz F3 TSCo x Chocolate Thai F5 Derg Corra
4 girls from the NL5 x Hz F3 mutant mother and 6 girls from the non mutant mother
The plants from the non mutant are taller and later than the mutant mom and there are different phenos
At this stage none of them have much resin except this girl from the non mutant mom which I believe is coming from the dad because the mom line at this stage makes very little resin and this resin must be coming from somewhere
NL5 x Hz F3 x CTF5 2, I will take a cut of this one
NL5 x Hz F3 x ctf5 2 (3).jpeg

Haze 1 Nirvana
Girl 1 is very leafy, girl 2 is crazy resinous
I am giving all of them trichoderma hoping it helps. It seems wettable sulphur succesfully killed PM
Haze 1 Nirvana girl 2, I hope she can finnish. 4 days at 99% humidity and she is not complaining much. I will take a cut of her, I dont expect much of this but impressive resin
Haze Nirvana 2 (1).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 2 (2).jpeg
Haze Nirvana 2 (3).jpeg

Dirt Life

Veteran
That nirvana haze is looking nice! Did you ever diagnose what the issue was, or did they just grow out of it? I had a Todd's haze plant that had weird varigation that greened up a little with extra nitrogen, but never grew out of it.. the yellow areas of the leafs were very photosensitive and burned due to a stupid mistake I made, but, the leaves were otherwise healthy..

I'm a fan of old Nirvana hazes/genetics, and this is really cool to watch the comparisons. 👍

Latest posts

Latest posts