What's new

NL#5

I got this strain from marc Emory about 5 yrs. ago and I have taken special care never to out cross it.Mr. Emorys site advertised this strain as an IBL from Nevilles stock so I kept it pure.It is a very medicinal strain,so we use it in moderation around here.About 3 tokes and you cant feel your feet or legs and soon after that its nite-nite time.Outdoors I can take it in the 3rd week of sept. and it bears very well for a shorter plant.I live in the southeastern U.S. and I am having a hard time getting out to my places this spring because it has been so wet.We are getting rain about every 3rd day.I usually plant my seed directly in the earth because they do so much better if you dont have to transplant them however I have just started 25 seed in some jiffy peat pellets and will start a row with them later.Has anyone here grown Reefermans NL#5?? If so,what do ya think of it?:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

D

danny karey

Is yer NL#F5 from BCSC ? i know that emery was selling there wares. Sounds killer for sure, If it is from the above place, I might have to pop mine.

Danny

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
the bcsc nl5 and big blue were fantastic plants. got the seeds from emery also, bout 6 years ago. wish id kept cuts

the bcsc nl5 and big blue were fantastic plants. got the seeds from emery also, bout 6 years ago. wish id kept cuts
This seed stock was being advertised as never being outcrossed and being pure nevilles seed stock.I try to grow a little every year, even the seedy bud will put you to sleep.Better then ambien..... :yoinks:

REZDOG

Veteran
BCSC advertised their NL5 as "never out-crossed",and they used Neville's Seed Bank Stock.

Nuff' said.

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey ol briarhopper think I can add a bit more for ya....Yes bro I have the same stock but a lil older and pre 2k...but sounds right down that road...very narcotic/body melt rock hard bright orange pistils n a classic deep Pine funk herb...
Nevil sold Stock to Reeferman...who in turn sold to Emory...you do the math...
anyway Ive got a big thread on this....check it out...bout covers it from my view...hmm I'll link ya if I can find it..but it was before the revamp n things are not all here now....
FOE20

Thanks foe20 for clearing up the strain controversy. I saw your thread on Reefermans NL#5.You had a monster plant on there! My strain looks a lot like yours. Anyways, thanks for the comeback....

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I am running BCSC NL #5 right now, originally got it as I thought it might be the old Sensi breeding block, very inbred, low yield, most potent NL ... was what I thought the story generally was, after some looking around I got to the conclusion it is not, it is a mix of 2 or more NLs, maybe 1[Sensi's] & 2 [Oasis DP] ... it is an OK NL, not the best ever but not rubbish.

I know some say Emery sold lots of fake beans, but ol briarhopper's story and plant sound like they might be right, the BCSC one is a decent NL, but not the real #5.

indifferent

Veteran
Reeferman's NL line is NL2 x NL5, same as Neville's. Nev reckoned he only ever had the NL5 as a single female cutting so he crossed it to a male from the NL2 line.

Reeferman sold a lot of knockoffs of Seed Bank and Sensi Seeds lines to Emery.

Recently reef has stated that the NL 1, 2, 3 ,4 and 5 (and possibly a 6) were seedlines and Neville just made up the story of the NL5 being a single clone, I dunno whether I believe him or not.

REZDOG

Veteran
The whole NL line is related,and inbred.
Northern Lights was developed from the "NL5" and "NL2" & "NL1" Clones,all from the same initial inbred,affie-based seeds.
NL "3,4,6,etc." are just "other" siblings that didn't make the cut.
It seems that nobody numbered the individual NL males,just the inbred generations,hence "NL5x2"....
NL1 and NL2 were heavy,heavy indicas,while NL5 shows a hint of sativa WAY back in its' lineage....and the high is a bit better for it.
BCSC "worked" the NL5x2 line for years,and refined it into their "NL5".
NL5 was a clone,way back when Neville started,it became worked into a seed-line after BCSC got ahold of it.
I grew Neville's NL5x2 back in the 80's,and it was awesome pot-even if it was not up to today's "standards",potency-wise vs.,say,a really good OG Kush or Chemdog.
Reef did make a shitload of knockoffs for Emery,that emery sold as "first rate".
That's why I have a problem with Canada's "king of sham-a-bis",he sold people knockoffs,in short packs,for full breeder price-and the actual breeders didn't get paid. Karma got marc,in the end.
For instance,emery ordered Sag Seeds once-ish in ten years,yet always managed to always have fresh "Sag" stock in,all the time. Ask Tony-he will tell ya what emery did.
As for Dutch Passion,I wouldn't touch their seeds with a ten foot pole-you should see the (literal) closets those seeds are "bred" in. I saw a pic,and it was not pretty-it looked like a fucking puppy mill for seeds. And for the money,their "Blueberry" jsut ISN'T. The same goes for their "Blue Moonshine". Oasis is inbred NL crap,never selected for shit.
I could go on,but why bother?
Sensi recently bought The Flying Dutchmen,so I'm watching to see how that turns out,as well.
Could be a good thing,I'm thinking.
Hope Reef's doing well,I haven't talked to him in forever.
Anyhow,my tuppence.

Z

Zoolander

I grew Reeferman NL#1 X NL#5 and all I can say is that it was very nice and a strong smoke , I have 2 going now and will see how it goes. I don't think Sensi buyin TFD is going so good to date

D

danny karey

I heard sensi seeds went down hill ever since Ben dronkers retired, I hear his sons run it now, and they don't have a clue as to what they are doing. I have a buddy who had a pack of Jack Herer from 2000 and bought another pack about a year ago. I know Jack herer is supposed to be a poly hybred, but the variation between the 2 packs is pretty extreme, almost looks like 2 different strains instead of the same one. In fact my buddy complained to sensi(and got nowhere) that there was a mix up in seeds, that the most recent one bought couldn't be Jack herer, must be somthing else.

I don't know what to think, but im hoping TFD will stay the same, qaulity wise, but ya never know.

Have you heard anything like this REZ ?

Just stating my experience is all, not trying to start shit, im trying to start conversation ;)

Danny

REZDOG

Veteran
Interesting.
I heard the same about Ben's son,but we'll see.
Ben's got to be about 70,and the Golden Age of Cannabis Tolerance he helped found is vanishing into a sunset of EU-force-fed,Dutch Conservatism.
Sensi Seeds made him rich,I'm sure their family wealth is insulated from the current political climate,same as the other big players.

Cheers!

Z

Zoolander

It seems like breeding is changing on the end of what people want and the Kush , Diesel and good haze seem to be what keeps a good breeder going now and alot of things like the sweet skunk type things are droppin behind now . Growers want the best strongest herb they can grow

By the way Rez,I have been growing your strawberry diesel for a few years now.It is the only strain I have ever had that you couldnt put in a plastic bag.It is so sticky that the plastic will not pull away from the bud. Stuff is like superglue...props bro

M

Mountain

A buddy has some circa 1986 NL#5's going and will be very interesting to see how they turn out. He got 6 out of 6 and should be sexed very soon. Will get to check em out this weekend.

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This info came when i was a member at sensi's forums from a good friend i have been hunting a decent northern lights for about 3 years and here is what i was told...

I got familiar with the Northern lights family (originally said to be from the Pacific Northwest) back in the 1980's when Nevil's Seed Bank offered the whole lineup. The original Northern Lights family is genetically diverse.

Northern Lights#1 was a single stalked, compact plant with a moderate Afghani smell. No one offers this classic version at this time. A strong plant and buzz.

Northern Lights#2 was a sturdy, pine tree shaped with a musty and piney odor. Dutch Passion (Oasis) and THSeeds (Closet Queen) currently offer versions.

Northern Lights#2x5 from The Seed Bank was very bushy and resinous with a strong juniper berry smell. A truly remarkable hybrid not offered by anyone.

GANJA - I think the NL5x2 is still on the Sensi menu.
Don't know if NL 2x5 ever existed.
As mentioned below, NL#5 is a clone-only female, so it can't be the male parent in a cross. When writing out a cross, the plant to the left of the 'x' is the mother.

Northern Lights#5 is available from BCSC for $75, a variety Nevil of The Seed Bank said was only available pure as a cutting. It is likely hybridized at one point.

Northern Lights#9x5 "disappeared" when Nevil sold his genetics to Sensi Seeds. This is the only original Northern Lights 9 genetics source to my knowledge.
These are the original Northern Lights breeding lines from which today's versions arose. Sensi Seed Bank sells Northern Lights with no number attached. Having access to Nevil's original genetics, my guess is that they crossed an Northern Lights 1 male to their Northern Lights 5 mother and stabilized the results. Northern Lights Special is a hybrid from KC Brains in Holland of Sensi's Northern Lights crossed to a Haze female. Northern Lights 9 was only sold in seed form as a hybrid to the Northern Lights 5 mother plant by Nevil at The Seed Bank during the late 1980's. Sagarmatha receives a lot of their strains delivered to them as a finished product from outside breeders. It is possible that someone produced these seeds. The known fact of a Northern Lights 9 male existing meant purebred seed should have been possible to produce, unless it was a male only strain. Trichome Technologies has a strain named Northern Lights 6, another related family member.
Last modified: 20:27 - Nov 07, 2000
Heres the SensiSeed Banks excerp on Northern Lights®..Now where did they get the info on NL#1, 2 , 5?..This is not NL#5 by description..Plus a report on BogBubble which also claimes to use the NL#5 and Im growin it now..

Northern Lights® - Sensi Seed Bank
Type: Indica hybrid - (Indoor)
Indoor flowering time: 45- 55 days
Height: medium height
Indoor yield: 450 grams/m2
Height: 100-125 cm
Sea of Green
Buzz: narcotic, body high
Taste/Smell: sweet pungent, spicy
Price: $225.00 US (15 seeds)

Indica. An absolute must for the indoor grower!! For the last couple of years the Northern Lights has dominated the various Harvest Festivals. Through selective breeding we have succeeded in producing one of the most powerful plants in the world. On top of, we have developed a strain highly adapted for indoor growing: compact, powerful with a good yield and exceptional resin production.

The Northern Lights (NL) is one of the most potent and famous indica varieties. Even though there are a lot of copies circulating around with variations on the name, there are only 3 pure types from the original development of the Northern Lights, which Sensi was lucky to acquire.

Historically, NL#1, a longer more stretchy type with a fresh scent and good bud formation, was the basis of the NL cross that was sold as Sensi's Northern Lights. Currently, the NL#5 has taken over the most important role in the cross. Because NL#5 adds potency and reduces flowering time, but is not dominant in taste and smell, it aslso plays a starring role in the overall breeding plan in the Cannabis Castle. It has functioned as a test case for many crosses. The f1 generation is very predictable, giving uniform results and passing uniformity on to the hybrid it parents. The NL#2 contributes to the overall vigor of the plant and strength of the high, also lending it's spider mite resistance to the cross.
Highly adapted to indoor growing, Northern Lights is a satisfying yielder that can finish in just over 6 weeks. The best results are obtained from hydro culture gardens. Small sea of green plants or bigger indoor plants will both do well, but remember that yield is directly related to the amount of light in space.
A small plant averaging between 31/2-5 feet, has dense, resin rich flowers and wide fingered indica leaves. The aroma is pungently sweet and the taste is flavorful mixture of sweet and spicy. The high is a potent physical experience that feels comfortably lazy and relaxing.

NL's fame extend to the harvest festivals where it claimed the overall High Times Cannabis Cup win in 1990 and the Cup's award for pure Indica category in the 1988-89.
"The most lucrative plant for the indoor grower."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love northern lights and there is a few ive yet to try but DR ATOMIC'S is next in line...

Also here is a picture of subrob's P91 from his thread SUBSHOTS in the flowerng shots forum which is a northern lights backcross...
picture.php

M

Mountain

Also here is a picture of subrob's P91 from his thread SUBSHOTS in the flowerng shots forum which is a northern lights backcross...
Is P91 really a back cross or just simply a new inbred F generation?

Latest posts

Latest posts