What's new

nl#5 gone?

mrheadie

so a couple friends and myself were talking about the lost landraces and early groundbreaking strains and we came upon nl#5. we were all baffeled at why you dont see it anymore and cant find PURE nl#5 beans. we all agreed that we never saw a bad batch and both in & out she always did her thing. i've seen a few crosses and talked to a few guys how worked with recent nl releases and they all say it's not what it was 10-15 even 20 years ago. just wondering if anyone has run any nl worth mentioning. thanks in advance.​

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Female seeds sells Northern Lights, not sure what number it is but I hear tell its supposed to be pretty good.

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is around, MNS is working with NL.
Also, I think a lot of people recall lost loves(strains) with an exaggerated idea of what they where. They build it up so much in their head that when they do get the real thing, it's just not the way they remembered it.
:two cents:

Last edited:
i have a 5 year old cutting of Dr. Atomic Northern Lights, no number. she is a beautiful Thai structured phenotype named Amigasa (Big Friend). have 7 Dr. Atomic Northern Lights #5s started from seed in October. 1 vigorous bushy stinky males and 6 girls. in early 2011 the male will pollinate the 6 girls after cuttings of each plant roots. and he will pollinate an Amigasa cutting.

talktosamson

Veteran
The real #5 is really hard to come across now days. Don't know if its available in seed form anymore. Sensi use to sell packs of NL #5 back in the day but they don't anymore. Bogglegum is NL#5 X bogbubble and I have found more than a few keepers in his packs that reminded me of the good old NL #5. Always has a wonderful grape taste and frying pan to the head stone. I am on IC a lot and I haven seen it mentioned in a few years. If someone still has the real Nl #5 clone chime in and let me know its still around.

vancerz

It is around, MNS is working with NL.
Also, I think a lot of people recall lost loves(strains) with an exaggerated idea of what they where. They build it up so much in there head that when they do get the real thing, it's just not the way they remembered it.
:two cents:

word

mrheadie

thx for the responses guys.
as far as building it up in our heads goes. just going by what we remember in comparision to other strains that my buddies and myself were running at the same time (mikado, cali orange, bc quick, friesland, skunk1, and nl5). i never worked with it first hand, but for the 5-6 years my buddies worked with it, i was smoking thier whole crop every year. that nl stood out every year from from almost everything else that came around. once the haze craze started, my boy scrapped his nl5 mom for new genetics. he says that was one of his worst losses in a mom. live and learn, and now we search anew. thx again guys

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
I heard a rumour that Mosca might release a NL

Last edited by a moderator:

Tafari

I use to grow NL#5 about 4-5 years ago and I do miss it. Once you smell the smoke you'll never forget it. I didnt find the buds to smell or taste to much, kind of blan but still and awsome strain that Id run today.

goldenahms

I agree with Lean Green, this is often the case. NL#5 is very vigorous and forgiving, potency is there, but smell and taste aren't anything too crazy. Good luck in your search for the pure, lots of crosses to choose from though. Maybe you can find something similar.

G

guest121295

There was a strain going around the dead tours in the late 80's and early 90's called Nl#5 and it was fantastic skunk like bud, more bland than the Williams Wonder but more along the lines of Friesland Indica.Anyway it was always in seed form so somebody was working it.We used to trade with friends who would bring us back the seeds.It was really beautifull pot and we were growing Sensi's Hashplant for sometime.I lost any of the seed I had and anything I may have made was just a hybrid or mistake.I know there's plenty of folks that were around back then at those shows, mostly west of Denver, most likely California...I just wonder if people are still working it somewhere or did it just die out when the breeder had an accident....I was just talking about this this morning in the Mr Nice thread so I figured I'd stir up some old dust because I know many of us are interested whether it's nostalgia or reality!!.( We used to trade some really great seeds from kids that came back from the shows to our hick towns)

cpt.kush

I'm in the process of collecting a lot of the old classics ie:skunk#1,nl, blueberry ,durban poison ...and ihave been splitting hairs trying to decide which breeder has true nl#5 .....peace cpt.k

simos

It's out there, keep looking.

Just like Haps said, it's out there. Several reputable clubs in SoCal have it on their clone menus.

I have no idea where you are, but if you have friends in California they can definitely get it for you if they're motivated.

All I know is that NL5xHaze hybrids are still absolute top shelf herb, so it can't be half bad.

Don't give up the search.

Cheers

Burt

Veteran
i would steer away from the Doc's NL
Sagarmatha or MNS for sure
better yet-NL X Haze!

mrheadie

There was a strain going around the dead tours in the late 80's and early 90's called Nl#5 and it was fantastic skunk like bud, more bland than the Williams Wonder but more along the lines of Friesland Indica.Anyway it was always in seed form so somebody was working it.We used to trade with friends who would bring us back the seeds.It was really beautifull pot and we were growing Sensi's Hashplant for sometime.I lost any of the seed I had and anything I may have made was just a hybrid or mistake.I know there's plenty of folks that were around back then at those shows, mostly west of Denver, most likely California...I just wonder if people are still working it somewhere or did it just die out when the breeder had an accident....I was just talking about this this morning in the Mr Nice thread so I figured I'd stir up some old dust because I know many of us are interested whether it's nostalgia or reality!!.( We used to trade some really great seeds from kids that came back from the shows to our hick towns)
chac, thats the exact same nl5 my boys and i were remembering. they were touring in the 80's right up until the unfourtunate death of jerry. they had gotten beans off friends on tour and later picked up nl5 in the dam and worked with both. the north west version knocked the dam version out of the water. they also ran their nl in conjuntion with thier friesland, and the nl always seemed to top the fries except in finishing time. fries was done late aug most years and the nl would go till late sept. they seem to think the nl they were getting originaly was the true nl, while what they (and other friends) have gotten in the dam was a poor reworked version. im going to give jw's nl a try since i'm ordering some cindy99. maybe i'll get lucky and get that old school knock you to the ground nl.

Latest posts

Latest posts