What's new

Nice...another blow to creationism

Kirby

UnerSame said:
spaventa they basically formed from the mixture of gases and whatever the hell else was on earth back then when it was first formed billions of years ago. did you know there was a study where some scientists put a bunch of stuff into a container that was supposed to mimic the environment of the earth back then, i dunno what they put in the container but it was exactly the gases and elements that were present back then, and anyways what happened was that life actually formed in the container from nothing. single celled organisms were just made from that shit

do you have a link to that? seems like an interesting read.

TwoOhSix!

Regardless of how the first signs of life came about (I'm interested in a link to what you're saying too UnerSame) one still needs to recognize that once life was present in the form of single celled amoebas, it slowly evolved into more complex organisms. How else do you explain why ancient fossils are primitive animals and as you go forward in time they get more and more complex?
The notion that humans were just planted on this earth by God is WAY less believable, I don't care if evolution still has some minor holes in the theory.

One thing that hasn't been explained is where all the matter came from that was the basis for the big bang. Seems like it had to be created from something. The only sort of creationism I would believe in is this: something created the matter to start the universe and then stepped away and let everything happen.
There's a name for this type of thinking but I can't think of it right now.

Last edited:
I think UnerSame might be talking about the evolution episodes of nova. I don't think they formed life, but here's what happened:

They discovered that amino acids, previously thought to be too complex to occur naturally without divine help, actually do occur naturally in meteors and I think space too. They then put amino acids in water, put the water in a metal container, and shot the container with a gun to simulate a meteor strike to Earth. The intense pressure transformed the amino acids into polypeptides, another substance that creationists say had an even more astronomical chance of not existing without divine intervention. I think that's as far as they got though.

It may not explain everything about the origins of life, but it's one hell of a start

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Not to burst anyones bubble but theres plenty of scientific evidence to back evolution. Not much scientific evidence to back creationism. Faith backs creationism. Science doesnt use faith to explain the laws of nature. Science uses facts based on derived theories.

Creationism is about as appropriate to teach in science class as would be teaching organic chemistry would be at sunday church. Everything has its place. Faith has been murdering science [ and scientists ] for the better part of 4,000 years of written history, isnt it about time they take a breather and let science have a chance?

Its also interesting to note that periods in the earths history where there were clear evolutionary growth bursts correlate to periods where there were previously high levels of comet/asteroid impacts. Further evidence that early primordial goo was waiting for some key elements before kickoff.

BadKarma

TwoOhSix! said:
I'm aware of this theory and fail to see how it refutes evolution.
I'm sorry, but how the hell can you people deny evolution exists? The Amazon jungle has evolved and adapted and co-evolved in amazing and ridiculous ways. You ever hear of the Galapagos islands?

I don't deny it exist. I say I'm not as positive as some of you appear to be.

I would like further evidence.

It would not challenge my believes nor my way of thinking about the universe and my place in it. I would accept it.

After all Evolution is creation is it not. Maybe not in a form as pure as say.... speaking us into existence, but creation none the less.

And yes I have herd of the Islands and Darwin and everything else from Alien experaments to JC. I feel I have a pretty good grasp of the information available. I have formed my belives using that information. All of it.

Last edited:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I grew up in the NYC area and was taught evolution from grade school on up, I'd never even heard of creationism until I was in a couple of 'elected sciences' courses when I was 17 or 18 yrs old.

The wingnuts that believe in that theory have no bearing on my life (unless they're elected) and so they can practice/teach whatever it is they like.

Spaventa

Veteran
Well, amino acids are effectively the omni present precursor to life then - cool...what and where did they evolve from?

Last edited:

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
The fact that there is even an argument about this..does show that there is something really awfully wrong in your country...

the debate is about millions of years worth of evidence VS. ZERO evidence...

No one can answer the meaning of life and where did it all start from questions..but until we can science is our best bet!

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
And how come space isn't teeming with life on planets like ours? all it takes is amino acids and collisions (which there are no shortage of right?)???

To make my position clear - I don't belive sciences "we just got ****ing lucky guys!" exsplanation (the bottom line after millions of years of research)

And I don't beleive 1 word of any releigion about anything let alone exisiance itself.

Sorry, you don't get to knock my beliefs - I have none :wave:

Last edited:
Spaventa said:
And how come space isn't teeming with life on planets like ours? all it takes is amino acids and collisions (which there are no shortage of right?)???

To make my position clear - I don't belive sciences "we just got ****ing lucky guys!" exsplanation (the bottom line after millions of years of research)

And I don't beleive 1 word of any releigion about anything let alone exisiance itself.

Because you touch yourself at night. But seriously, I'm sure it takes more than amino acids and pressure. Water and heat too, and I'm sure other factors we don't know jack shit about(yet). Considering how much of the universe we've explored, you can't say the universe isn't teeming with life.

The Uncola

Life arose "de novo" right here on this dirty little rock. This issue was debated exhaustively during the Scopes monkey trials in the 1920's. DNA knowledge has only solidified the theory, not weakened it.

It is important to keep in the news since the #1 Prez candidate in the US for the Rethuglicans is a guy I call Huckleberry. He says the earth is 6000 years old and believes only in his interpretation of the bible. Dubyuh agrees 100% and still says the US economy is great and global warming is a myth. (For him it is). Reality has seldom been a factor in the life of GWB or Huckleberry for that matter.

G

Spaventa said:

ya and BILLIONS of years with environmental conditions being in a certain exact way. and you know what, im sure there are planets out there with life on them, just way way far away. no other planet that we know of has an environment that can support life but im sure in some solar system somewhere out there in the universe, there's another planet very similar to earth in terms of the distance to its sun and whatnot, that probably has the potential to have life if it doesn't already. i'm not sayin there are aliens flying around in space ships, but there are so many planets and it's such a huge universe that there's gotta be a planet somewhere out there that at least has some kinda single celled organism

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Spaventa said:

we dont know what is and isnt on other planets.... space(to quote a book very famous throughout the galaxy) is big, really big, you just wont believe how vastly, hugely,mind-bogglingly big its!
So just because we havent developed the technology to see far enough...or our ideas havent "evolved" enough to get to the point where we define life as being similar(carbon based-corporial) to ourselves, it doesnt mean that other panets out there arent teaming with life.... Once again i think its arrogant to say that in the vast expanse of the constantly expanding universe, our shithole(being made into 1 anyway) rock is the only one with intelligent life, or life at all . Likewise though i thik its pretty arrogant to think that some super advanced alien culture is beaming ppl up and probiong their anuses-like we'd be so important to such a super advanced race.....
someone just mentioned that huckabee guy... and the 600 years old thing...and that reminded me of another daft theory which comes from the evangelical christian creationist camp is that the earth is 6000 years old, and the dinosaurs wlaked the earth ast the same time as man... bwwwahahahahahahahaha i pissed myself laughing the 1st time i read that...
good luck america if the bible belt masses manage to vote that ****er in, good luck rest of the world too

Last edited:

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
The whole philosophy that the earth was created in the morning in October in 4004B.C. was the work of Bishop Usher, who arrived at this figure by calculating back from the geneology in the Bible. Problem was that he didn't realize that the word begat did not mean that the individual was the father of someone. It meant that the person was the ancestor of someone.Some of the geneologies in the Bible skip 3 or 4 generations, as evidenced by other reports in the same bible. A might be the great-grandfather of B, not his father. When we talk about our ancestors, we leave out the horse thieves, drunkards and wife-beaters, and just talk about the important people. The folks in the bible were the same way.

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Originally Posted by Harry Gypsna
we dont know what is and isnt on other planets.... space(to quote a book very famous throughout the galaxy) is big, really big, you just wont believe how vastly, hugely,mind-bogglingly big its!
So just because we havent developed the technology to see far enough...or our ideas havent "evolved" enough to get to the point where we define life as being similar(carbon based-corporial) to ourselves, it doesnt mean that other panets out there arent teaming with life.... Once again i think its arrogant to say that in the vast expanse of the constantly expanding universe, our shithole(being made into 1 anyway) rock is the only one with intelligent life, or life at all . Likewise though i thik its pretty arrogant to think that some super advanced alien culture is beaming ppl up and probiong their anuses-like we'd be so important to such a super advanced race.....
someone just mentioned that huckabee guy... and the 600 years old thing...and that reminded me of another daft theory which comes from the evangelical christian creationist camp is that the earth is 6000 years old, and the dinosaurs wlaked the earth ast the same time as man... bwwwahahahahahahahaha i pissed myself laughing the 1st time i read that...
good luck america if the bible belt masses manage to vote that ****er in, good luck rest of the world too

When I TRY to comprehend the vast expanse of our universe with all of the stars & planets that it consists of,,,, I think of a large coastal beach and all the beautiful sand there,,,, with the planet Earth representing but only 1 grain, or if you can picture all the individual droplets of water that make up the oceans on this world, and then maybe we would have a rough idea of what number of unknown planets we're talking about here.
This stoner's mind boggles...

also,, thanks for the suggestion of who could be running the world police,, scary shit

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
The earth is 4.6 billion years old and the universe is 9 billion years older than the earth. Even for an old fart like me, that is WAY before my time and almost impossible to imagine.

Verite

Veteran
Pops said:
The earth is 4.6 billion years old and the universe is 9 billion years older than the earth. Even for an old fart like me, that is WAY before my time and almost impossible to imagine.

The universe is older than that because there was a 'dark age' for an undetermined amount of time ( they guess at about 1 billion years) [ between the big bang and visible light ] when there was plenty of loose substance matter [ mostly ionized hydrogen ] without the actual formation of stars and galaxies to give us the basis for visable light wave photons we see today.

In order to determine more about this period they are sending out more microwave telescopes to measure all this cosmic background microwave radiation.

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
I am pretty sure that it is 13,6 billion years,Verite. I remember checking my watch at the time.

Verite

Veteran
I got it on Tivo if you want me to upload it to Youtube. Search using " Big Gang Bang ".

Heres what I was talking about.

.. The line is of great interest in big bang cosmology because it is the only known way to probe the "dark ages" from recombination to reionization. Including the redshift, this line will be observed at frequencies from 200 MHz to about 9 MHz on Earth. It potentially has two applications. First, by mapping redshifted 21 centimeter radiation it can, in principle, provide a very precise picture of the matter power spectrum in the period after recombination. Second, it can provide a picture of how the universe was reionized, as neutral hydrogen which has been ionized by radiation from stars or quasars will appear as holes in the 21 centimeter background.

However, 21 centimeter experiments are very difficult. Ground based experiments to observe the faint signal are plagued by interference from television transmitters and the ionosphere, so they must be very secluded and careful about eliminating interference if they are to succeed. Space based experiments, even on the far side of the moon (which should not receive interference from terrestrial radio signals), have been proposed to compensate for this. Little is known about other effects, such as synchrotron emission and free-free emission on the galaxy. Despite these problems, 21 centimeter observations, along with space-based gravity wave observations, are generally viewed as the next great frontier in observational cosmology, after the cosmic microwave background polarization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background_radiation