What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL FOOTBALL 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pats vs Ravens on Sunday Night Football,with both comeing off a loss.
We'll see what the Pats "O" line is made of.Even if I wasn't a Pats fan
I still wouldn't miss this game.This is going to be a F@#K'n war.

H

Homer J Pimpin

I saw the call against Ike Taylor .the play was 100% textbook clean on how to defend a crossing route..Ryan Clark (one of the most under rated safteys in the history of the league) timed it perfect and led with his shoulder pads.....and hit Holmes in his shoulder pads..There was no foul but It didn't really bother me that much.....After all the Jets really needed a break...They were getting beat up plain and simple.

burns1n209

images6.jpg

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Storm Shadow, if he was far from washed up Bellichek would've never let him go, he just bounced around after that...he needed to be put on the right team to be at least somewhat relevant and well SF is the right team for someone like him, plus a coach who won't tolerate his shit one bit will keep him inline....If he gets anywhere near 1,000 yards rec I'd be shock, dude is still in great shape but is a shell of what he used to be, just my 2 cents.

New England, 110% right! can't wait for that battle.

Homer, I didn't see that exact play but there have been quite a few big hits where the question is, was the guy defenseless? too hard to tell IMO its football big hits are just apart of the game, there needs to be clarity on some of these hits they call now a days, defensive players have no idea how to tackle the guy clean sometimes.

H

Homer J Pimpin

no otto it was the pi call...it was just silly.Ike Taylor never even touched him and Ryan Clarks hit was clean....but Ike got the pass interference call.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
alex smith will have a break out year (as of now he's got the 2nd highest qb rating under matt ryan, does NOT turn the ball over, he was drafted before rodgers for a reason...just walked into a shitty situation all around, If the 9ers nabbed rodgers back in 05 I'm sure he'd be nothing but a game manager at this point also) too much behind the scenes tribulation in past seasons to even get a feel for the job....and singletary made everyone look bad....the dark ages for the 49er faithful...

all I know is that every job I worked at where was more intelligent than my boss I felt like tellin him to go fuck himself everyday, I wouldn't think things would be too much different in the nfl

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Homer, my fault now i know what your talking about...plain and simple get the new refs back and hopefully it will clear these slow games up...

whadeezlrg, not impossible but if I was a niners fan I'd just be happy with him not turning over the football, he does that he has a legit chance at a super bowl, and if it wasn't for those two fumbles kyle williams had last year you would have already been to one. I'd have to say hopefully you see him take a few more chances but who knows what kind of leash Harbaugh has on him...

G

Guest 343357

Wings, beer, grass...and a well matched competitive game !! Too much to ax homies? Stay with peace and some floppy sour d!

tumblr_ma423yWPXA1qeej7xo1_500.jpg

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Whazdeezlrg, your not comparing Rodgers to Smith are you? cause that is just a joke, Rodgers had one of the most incredible years a QB had ever last season, on top of that he already has a ring and is probably the best QB in the league right now.... I am sorry Smith is a middle of the pack QB and doesn't hold a candle to Aaron Rodgers, he proved he is a lot more than a game manager, he's a MVP. I don't think we'll ever see Smith win one of those. Although a Super Bowl would be much sweeter I admit....

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
Whazdeezlrg, your not comparing Rodgers to Smith are you? cause that is just a joke, Rodgers had one of the most incredible years a QB had ever last season, on top of that he already has a ring and is probably the best QB in the league right now.... I am sorry Smith is a middle of the pack QB and doesn't hold a candle to Aaron Rodgers, he proved he is a lot more than a game manager, he's a MVP. I don't think we'll ever see Smith win one of those. Although a Super Bowl would be much sweeter I admit....

no it wasn't a direct comparison, more just a statement saying that if rodgers ended up in san francisco in '05 and had to deal with all of the bad coaching/management issues that smith has dealt with his numbers would probably be comparable to smiths numbers at this point in time. we've all seen what a difference a solid coaching staff has made in just one season. Rodgers has had a good staff behind him since joining the league, the same cannot be said of smith. I agree that rodgers is probably the best qb in the league right now. I also feel that if smith was a favre understudy and had the peices in place that rodgers had through the last 7 years he would be taken a bit more seriously than a game manager...ultimately I feel like smith will be silencing the doubters this year. not knockin rodgers one bit, he's got it...but 2012 #11 is a completely different beast than what we've seen in the past...

generally speaking the team that wins the turnover battle wins the game, making holding onto the ball just as important if not more so than getting the skin in the air

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
So basically your saying that if Alex Smith was drafter by the packers instead he would be a MVP player with a super bowl 100%? Just because Rodgers wasn't drafted by SF doesn't mean he put up the same numbers as Alex Smith has up to this point in his career, I don't think thats fair to say. And I think that any niners fan wishes they could go back in time and draft Rodgers over Smith. What most people don't realize is that Brett Farve was no mentor to Aaron Rodger, he was actually a dick to him, Farve had the old school mentality of thinking they drafted Rodgers to take his job and he wasn't having that. I don't think that Rodgers would have taken the niners franchise to glory but I def think he would have way better numbers and more wins overall....All I am saying is Alex Smith is who is just because he had one great season doesn't mean he is gonna be a HOF player or become a 4,500 yrd passer with 40+ TD's, that would be a break out year. I mean Rodgers threw for 4 less TD's last year than Smith has thrown the past 3 seasons combined (45-49). I think we can def agree that Alex Smith doesn't need to throw for 4k yards and 30 TD's to win a super bowl, he just needs to not turn the ball over and let that nasty D take care of the rest.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I wasn't implying any guarantees, simply that a solid well rounded team that puts the right pieces in place will generally have more productive players in all 3 phases...that being said the niners had been a mess since before mooch left, what good is an intelligent qb when all the play calls seem like they're coming from the hands of a 6 year old playing madden(singletary)? I honestly feel like there isn't one qb in the league that would have been successful under singletary...aaron rodgers included.

now I'm not saying that smith would have put up identical numbers to rodgers given the ficticious scenario, or been an mvp or any of that...just saying that the house built on a stone foundation tends to be stronger than the one built on sand. the 2000's were a lost decade for the niners regardless of who was under center...too many other problems that weren't being addressed.

imho...the niners will probably have one of the top 10 producing offenses this year, sure the D will beat em up, but there are just too many weapons , gore is lookin great, crab's actually catching balls that are hitting him in the hands, moss is opening up the field for davis on the slant, harbaugh and co are playing a brutal chess match this year...dissecting the opposition on both sides of the ball...already seeing a lot more airs with everyone bringing the lb's up in coverage to support the run...O-line is very dominant (staley held matthews and avril pretty damn good...goin heads up with jared allen tomorrow) the niners have a dangerous offense this season, we haven't seen anything yet.

whether favre was a douche or not, rodgers was on the sideline week in and week out studying one of the all time greats...I don't think it would be an overstatement to say that rodgers picked up a thing or two.

Last edited:

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Erickson, Nolan, or Singletary had no success with him then Harbaugh comes in and he throws for 3k yards and 17 Td's and only 5 int's sounds like a coach who has a short leash on a QB he trust minimally. There is a reason Harbaugh went and sought out Peyton during the off season quietly, not to hurt Smiths feelings which were clearly hurt. He then went and looked at what Miami had to offer him. Smartest thing Smith ever did was not sign with Miami for a little extra cash. Alex Smith may be intelligent but when you never throw for more then 18 TD's or 3K yards in a year you never have, been, or will ever be a top QB in the league......Sure he's got the right pieces around him but so did Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson doesn't mean they were good QB's that won SB's. Alex Smith had his best year ever with 3,100 yards 17 td's and 5 int's...I am sorry but those stats are not anything special, but when you win 12 games or whatever they won last year those stats look better and you think he is something he really isn't, which to me is a QB that you'd start on MOST teams in the league, seriously how many teams would drop the QB they had right now so they could start Alex Smith today? Not many IMO. How many would take Rodgers in a Heartbeat just about every team in the league.

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
IMO the niner D is way more dangerous than there O, I don't think any defensive coordinators are scared shitless of going up against Alex Smith....There more worries about how to break the lock on that D. I mean if I was a D coordinator I would do nothing but stuff the run and make Smith throw, whats the worse that happens he throws 2 of his 18TD's on the year....

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I'm just making my bold predictions for the season lol...you gotta watch alex, he doesn't even look like the same guy we saw last year...

as for the manning chase, gm trent balke was in full control of that move...it wouldn't have been a good fit, and as a fan I would have hated to see it happen. peyton is done..I'm glad he's the bronc's problem....very expensive problem... Not to take away anything that 18 has accomplished in the past but the future's lookin dim imho

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Manning is way too much money and takes away from a team and especially D money, only way to get peyton to SF was guareenting him to win, but obivously it was a money thing for him. No problem in wanting to root for your team, if I was a niners fan I'd hope for the best too, I am cowboys fan and do nothing but back up tony homo, oops I means romo...

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I agree that the team is built upon the foundation that the D has in place, just saying that going into week 3 the niners offense is already movin like a well oiled machine, sure there are plenty of better wideouts in the league, better backs, etc....but they're not lacking talent at any position, and everyone is doing their job at a very high level, smith has performed better each week than his opponent in the last 4 "elite qb" teams that the niners have faced(brees,eli,rodgers, and stafford) 3-1 would be 4-0 if not for williams screw-ups against g-men, the D didnt beat the saints alone.

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The Niners were a model of franchise mismanagement by the Yorks for most of the last 15 years, with their terrible GM and head coaching hires. Things have turned, they finally have a good head coach who can maximize the talent on the roster. Really, through 2 games they're the best team in the league and it's not close. But there's 14 more to go, and the NFC west (the west! who put a 7-9 team in the playoffs two years ago) looks to be tough sledding.

Who in their right mind would bet on the Cowboys? Theyre either really good or terrible, with no inbetween, and it will probably always be so with Romo as their QB. And Tampa is not the pushover of last year. They play to the end of the game, or dirty, however you look at it.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
he was drafted before rodgers for a reason...just walked into a shitty situation all around, If the 9ers nabbed rodgers back in 05 I'm sure he'd be nothing but a game manager at this point also

Smith is definitely trending upward but it's a stretch to suggest there was a reason he was drafted before Rodgers as if the 9ers knew he'd eventually develop into what he is today. I'm sure they would've wanted to see this 5 years ago instead. Can't blame Singletary for Smith throwing 10, 12 picks a year with only 350 attempts while Rodgers is throwing the ball over 500 times and has the same number of INTs or, in some cases, half as many.

The thing about Smith's recent turnaround is he isn't throwing picks. Maybe it's play calling related and they're making it easier on him than previous coaches but I just think he's maturing and making better decisions. Some guys do that faster than others.

But to really break out he'll have to at least crack 4K and throw more than 20 TDs otherwise he's just a good middle tier QB like Joe Flacco that hasn't quite made the leap to elite QB. He's on pace for a career year but we're just at week 3.

All stats aside, there's nothing wrong with being a game manager that wins a Super Bowl. People were on Tom Brady's nuts for years when he was doing just that. And I don't think Trent Dilfer likes his ring any less than Peyton Manning or Drew Brees like theirs.

Babbooey, betting on the Cowboys is risky business. I steer clear of them when money is on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts