What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

shithawk420

Veteran
Well,fucked up day of football.at least the Bears won and Brady got his ass kicked.NO ONE saw that coming!

iTarzan

Well,fucked up day of football.at least the Bears won and Brady got his ass kicked.NO ONE saw that coming!

LOL!
I like underdogs Baba. It was cool watching the Browns win.

The Colts were at the Eagle 4 yard line with like minute left. Luck got sacked. The replacement LT did pretty good up until then then he folded. LOL!

They did battle the SB champs pretty good. Luck doesn't have the same zip on his balls. He had some floaters to the sidelines. They brought in Brisset to throw the hail Mary at the end of the game too. It is concerning.
I can't believe the Bills Vikings game. HOW?

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
On german tv they were showing 49ers/Chiefs and Seahawks/Cowboys. I enkoyed them booth, very god games I think. I was cheering for the Seahawks. The comeback but not win of the 49ers was very good, respect. The Browns win the 1st. time for a long time. Interesting was also, that the kicker from the Vikings got kicked out of Team. He had it on his feet against Green Bay but failed 3 times in all and mostly at last.

Not so nice, I saw the movie with Will Smith as Doc, who found out the CTE sickness. If I remember right, if its gone bad, you can get kicks against the head, roundabout 70ooo times in a football career. Even 10ooo is to much, I think an ordinary guy has 50. I am 53 and had maybe 15-20, most of them as a kid (thre rest drunk in 85%). Make the story short, now I think about it if I see football and thats not good. As a parent in the states, I wouldn´t wish that my boy plays football.

What do you think, is the problem so bad or do I see to black?

Go Packs!:dance013:

shithawk420

Veteran
What do you think about that Baba? The FUCKING BEARS ARE FIRST IN OUR DIVISION! I'm not getting my hopes up Trubisky is gonna fuck this up.

And as much as I can really say,Clay Matthews did get fucked.i think the refs are making it up as they go along.wtf?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
It's neat and surprising that the bears are 1st in the NFC North, at 2-1. Vikings and Pack are 1-1-1, and Lions are 1-2. Still, the offense struggled to come up with points. I think the offense has scored only one TD each game, plus FG's. Not great. Reminds me of the urlacher days, where the defense had to carry the team. They had some good seasons then, despite that, but for great success trubisky is going to have to lead this team to some touchdowns. We'll see, although im not sure im seeing much improvement week to week either.

It's ironic that clay mathews is getting screwed over by the same rule that was implemented to protect his qb, aaron rodgers, who had his collarbone broken last year when a vikings player landed full force on him. Now, a dolphins lineman supposedly tore his acl trying to avoid putting all his weight on a QB sack. From the video, it did look like he kicked his leg out so he wouldnt land fully on the QB.
Ah well, at least david carr is safe, eh?

I havent yet seen that movie Herman, but that is a big concern for the league, all the head impacts that build up over years of practice and playing that really cause irreversible brain damage. Aaron hernandez, who murdered 3 people and was sentenced to life in prison, committed suicide in prison and the autopsy showed he had advanced CTE and he was like 28 years old. Maybe OJ Simpson's aberrant behavior can partially be blamed on brain damage.
Scientists are developing a test for CTE and if it works, it might really be bad for the game. A lot of players who get bad test results may say: "I like the competition, and making money, but i also like having a working brain."
If I had children, i probably wouldnt let them play the game, although i think the rules are changing for the better (less contact in practices, etc). But yeah, it could be a moral dilemma, watching people destroy their bodies to entertain us. I still enjoy the game, does that make me a bad person? Maybe at least uncaring...

Colts have been competitive in every game, against some good teams too, mostly due to a surprisingly good defense. They're far from a bottom 3 team like most 'experts' thought they would be, although that low ranking was dependent on if luck came all the way back. I havent watched them much if at all, but youre sure that his throws lack the velocity he used to have, Tarzan? I know his TD's are down and his turnovers are up, so evidently he's still a work in progress.
Peyton was still very effective when he lost some arm strength after his neck injury, just focused more on accuracy and throwing to spots. So there's hope that luck can still be elite again.
I thought they brought in brisset to throw the hail mary more to avoid luck taking a big hit on a low percentage play rather than concern that he couldnt throw it into the end zone. Luck's been throwing 40 yds in practices, he couldnt heave a 60 yd hail mary?

Rams beat the chargers by double digits, pop, and it wasnt close in the 2nd half. Every time the chargers scored the rams answered right back. If not for the rams losing their starting cornerbacks to injury the game might have been more lopsided. But derwin james had another nice game, had a pick in the end zone and a bunch of tackles, although he should have taken a knee in the end zone for a touchback instead of bringing it out to the 1 yard line. Mike williams is shaping up to be a nice, vincent-jackson type receiver, but keenan allen (and gronk and hogan of the pats) did hardly anything for me. I'm 0-3 in one fantasy league and 3-0 in the other. Eh, what ya gonna do?
Seattle’s championship window appears closed unless carroll can magic up another elite defense, which he might be able to given a year or two. Not sure why the seahawks would fire him, is there a surefire better coach waiting to step in and take his place? But I could see USC really wanting him back, they’ve cycled through various assistants of his without much success, if they come up with a massive offer like jimbo fisher got from Texas a&m (10 yrs, 75M) he could very well be tempted…

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I equate watching football or any other violent or combat sport (boxing, wrestling, mixed martial arts, etc) to the ancient romans watching gladiators in the coliseum. But instead of watching people chop each other up, we're watching people just beat up on each other.

Up until 5-10 years ago, big hits were celebrated in the NFL. The most violent hits made ESPN Sportscenter's Top 10 plays of the day. There was even a segment on an NFL show called "Jacked Up!", where they would show the most devastating hits in league history.

Poprocks mentioned Ronnie Lott before, he was a cornerback/safety who was famous for hitting opponents so hard they would immediately stop and fall backwards, even if they were running full speed ahead at the time. There was a player called "Night train" Lane 30-40 years ago who would clothesline opponents, just swing his arm like a club and hit them around their head and neck area. The league made that move illegal because he hurt so many players with it.

There are also a lot of variables that factor into brain damage and CTE. A lot of former players are announcers or tv analysts, and they seem healthy and capable, even the ones who retired because of concussions (steve young, merril hoge). Also, a substantial number of players abuse alcohol and drugs during and after their playing careers so that plays a role in their brain function. A lot of the substance abuse may be self-medicating, they're used to taking a lot of painkillers so they can play and practice. That practice is slowly going away over the last few years, at least with opiate abuse, but plenty of players will take a shot of toradol (a post-surgical pain killer) before games so they can play pain-free.

So I dont think you can say that every player will definitely suffer severe brain damage during their career, although there is a signficant chance. And i do think the sport is getting better at protecting players with rule changes, and hopefully in the future you wont see so many players suffering after they retire. And maybe technological advances (better helmets or padding) or medical advances (alzheimer's research, etc) will help solve this problem. We'll see.

But i do think the violence of the sport is part of the reason why it's so popular. Why do people watch MMA or boxing? To watch some guy get knocked the heck out. And that's terribly unhealthy for the person to suffer that, but that's what makes it so interesting, the stakes are so high, it's almost like 2 guys fighting for their lives...

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
3ibJbuD.jpg

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happening guys, hope everyone is enjoying the start to the new season
the chiefs are putting up a ton of points behind the young gunslinger, pat mahomes and an offense stacked with tallent
i havent been following the fins that closely this season , but they are one of the last undefeated teams left at 3-0

were you able to watch the rams/ chargers game, baba?
it was a good game but the rams seemed to be in the drivers seat early on and never let up
they moved the ball at will on offense and the defense was rock solid
i dont blame d. james for trying to advance the ball on that int in the endzone, his momentum was going forward and he was playing fast
the chargers made their share of mistakes and i think the rams offense was in a groove
i like the way josh allen is starting out in buffalo
if they could get their offensive line in order they could have a decent offense
so how are you digging on kalil macks play so far this season?
he is wreaking havoc against opposing teams with a consistent mix of power and speed and will hopefully have a long productive career in chicago
/on the flip side, how would you grade grudens return the coaching in oakland so far?

i was able to watch the chiefs/49ers game on sunday too herman
what time was the game on in germany, brother?
it looks like garapollo will be out the remainder of the season with a acl injury

rams/vikings tongiht!
the vikings could really use a win here but they are going up against one of the hottest teams in the league right now
im hoping for a good game on both sides

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I was watching the red zone channel on my pc so they showed all the big plays from the rams-chargers game. I was also watching bears-cardinals on my tv, so i missed the derwin pick. I didnt realize he was moving forward at the time so his momentum carried him out of the end zone; i just knew that after the chargers went 3 and out on the ensuing possession, they had to punt out of the back of their end zone and the rams blocked it and recovered it for a score. A great play turned into a bad result, but you cant blame it on d. james, he saved a TD it was the offense and special teams that gave it right back. Im just glad he's racking up big plays (int's, forced fumbles, sacks) in addition to plenty of tackles for my fantasy team...

And in the 4th quarter, i think the chargers went for it on 4th down multiple times but could never get the game closer than 2 scores, rams D was just too good.

Speaking of which, the rams gave up a bunch up a bunch of yards and pts to the vikings but the vikings defense was even worse. Goff had over 400yds and 5 TDs and a perfect passer rating. Im pretty impressed with him, he was dropping the ball perfectly into his receiver's hands all night.

I thought trubisky could make a similar leap to goff's 2017 season, with new and better receivers and a new, offensive minded coach. But he hasnt looked good all year except for maybe one drive a game. He still hasnt thrown for 10 tds after 15 starts in his career.

I have to keep reminding myself that he's still very inexperienced and he's learning a complex new offense. He started 13 games in college and 15 in the nfl (12 last year), that's 28 games. Most college star qb's play almost twice that many games in their career, assuming they start 3 years at 13-14 games a year (including bowl games).

That was one of the concerns about trubs coming out of college, the fact he played so few games. One of the best indicators of success in the nfl for qb's is how many starts they had in college, and most of the top guys became starters in their freshman or sophmore years.

the bears are playing a bad tampa bay defense, if they struggle to score against them it may be time to start panicking? :comfort:

khalil is the truth, Pop, I just hope he doesnt blow his load in september; if the bears are lucky enough to make the playoffs he's going to need to have some game changing plays then too if they want to make a run.

Will he have a long career in chicago? Im not sure; the team can get out of his current 6 year deal after 4 years if his play doesnt justify the price tag anymore. He'll be 31 in 4years but i think d linemen can be productive into their mid 30's barring major injury. I guess whether he's with the team until retirement depends on his level of play and how greedy his agent is.

Josh allen and the bills have outscored opponents 41-9 since vontae davis retired at halftime of the chargers game (6 quarters of play). When vontae did that i was like ah man, the bills are so bad their players are quitting at halftime, but man the defense has been good and josh is making plays with his arm and his legs; he hurdled a 6'3" linebacker vs the vikings to pick up a first down. Everyone knew he was probably the best physical specimen of the first round qb's in this draft class but he's looking like cam newton with hops. Which is funny because i dont think he ran much in college.

Niners suffered a big blow with garappolo's acl tear. The team's play was pretty uneven before then, now at 1-2 with cj beathard at QB maybe they're looking forward to another top draft pick? Which sucks for this year but may turn out good in the long run...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
the vikings were able to put up some points against the rams on thursday night
they were able to start off ok but the rams seemed to be in control for most of the game and it dident feel as close as the final score would make it seem
both qbs were just whipping the ball and put up good numbers but i think the vikings were simply too one dimensional against the rams defensive front line
cousins put up over 400y on 50 attempts, but they only had 17 running plays (cousins was their leading rusher with 28y on four attempts)
like you said, goff just looked sweet
his passing game was on point and he looked totally in sync with his recievers spreading the ball around the field and hitting his passes at every level
aaron donald was a beast on defense
/i guess the vikings long snapper lost part of his finger during the game, but was able to finish the game
they just stitched it up on the sidelines and he got right back out there

speaking of beastly players, derwin james is having a great start to his season and has to be the front runner for defensive rookie of the year
chargers face a garropalo less 49r team this weekend and i expect him to do some damage
especailly with bosa out, he is putting a lot of pressure on the opposing qb as well as making plays all over the field; when bosa comes back this defense is primed

have they announced who is starting under center for the bucs this weekend? i think they should start fitzpatric for as long as he is able to put up the yards (400+yds/ game so far this season) and it might do winston some good
we will see how trubinsky plays, but he should be able to hook up with his receivers against a mediocre bucs secondary
this could be a high scoring game and should be a good one

MrBungle

The #1 pick in the 2018 draft Baker Mayfield gets the nod to start this weekend against the winless and Khalil Mack-less Oakland Raiders in Oakland.... Some key pieces of Cleveland's defense are coming back as well in Kirksy and Ogbah... The last road win for the Browns was in 2015.... I sense another victory, as long as Baker ignites the offense like he did last Thursday, minimize mistakes, and let the defense do its thing!

caliprop215

Veteran
Mayfield was off the hook last week when he came in. They finally won a game its been years lol.

Me as a raider fan am worried. 0 and 3 we are fucked i think mayfield gna stwp up like mahomes did.

Fuckin mahomes is rediculously good.setting records already. Raiders dnt have a chance agains the chiefs

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
We had 3 games go into overtime today, Herman, although none ended in a tie. And we have sunday night and monday night football still to go. I wonder what the record for OT games in one week is.
The super bowl champion eagles are 2-2, and the titans are surprisingly 3-1 despite a lot of injuries at QB, but we're only 1/4 through the season...

Raiders finally got a win today, Caliprop. They've been pretty competitive even though they started 0-3, i think they lead every game until the 4th quarter. But they won a shootout with the browns today, and carr is playing lights out again. Lynch is running like his prime seattle days also. But youre right, the chiefs look very hard to beat; their defense is pretty bad but when they can put up 20-30 pts a half who needs a defense? The chiefs play the broncos tomorrow night and that will be the best D theyve faced yet, we'll see if they can keep it up.

I dropped andrew luck as my backup QB and picked up baker in one league, Bungle. Wasnt a good decision, as luck had 400 yds and 4 tds and baker had a couple scores but also 4 turnovers. Maybe i can pick luck back up off waivers...
But baker did lead the offense to a bunch of points, and nick chubb helped with 2 long rushing td's off only 3 carries. I figure the browns defense and offense are too good not to win at least half their games from here on out, so long as baker takes better care of the ball.

Do you think derwin is the charger's best player on defense, Pop? He had another sack and 2 passes defensed today, one of which i think led to an inteception by his teammate. They won today, but the chargers gave up 27 pts to a niners team without garappolo. Maybe the niners will be better than expected with beathard at qb, but i feel the chargers defense wont be truly elite until bosa comes back. Then again, it's so hard to play defense nowadays with the new rules protecting receivers and qb's, the vikings should be a top 2 or 3 defense and theyve given up tons of points the last 3 games....

Trubisky blew up today, with 350yds passing and 6 td's, 5 in the first half. It was an impressive showing although the bucs are a terrible defense against the pass, maybe of those td's were to wide open players. Still, this should shut his critics up for a little bit.

I wonder if this represents some sort of breakthrough for trubs, though. Obviously it's unlikely he'll have a game like this again, like ever, but i hope the accuracy, quick reads and good decisions i saw are here to stay. I figure if he can average 250 yds and 2 td's a game, that's more than enough for the running game and the defense to grind out a win. Theyre on bye next week though, so we'll have to wait to see how they come out against the dolphins in week 6.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i think this was a great game for trubinsky
while he was going against a soft secondary, im sure he felt like an all pro throwing for all those yards/ tds
nothing builds confidence like winning and i think this was a big boost for the young QB
im not sure if having a bye week so early will help or hurt the young gunslinger
its good to go into an off week with a win but sometimes if your team is hot you want to keep rolling
/i tihnk later byes are the best because by week 8 or so your team is felling the wear and tear so anything after week 7-8 is best in my mind
the dolphins were blown out by the patriots on sunday and are no longer undefeated so we will see how they play against the bengals this week ( another loss most likely, the bengals have a strong D)
i dont think james is the best player on the chargers defense just yet, but he could be in the top-3
i think bosa is still the best player on that team, and then you have melvin ingram
cory leigit is a good player plus the secondary has some up and comers
but if derwin james can keep playing like this over a whole season i see him being a force to be reckoned with and being the 2nd best player on that D (bosa:#1, james:#2)
it was weird that the 9rs were able to put up so many points and something just dosent feel like its clicking with the chargers; hopefully once bosa returns (along with cory leigit) it will bring back their identity and they regain some swagger on D
/regardless, they will still find a way to shit the bed and bungle another season
#f-spanos

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
nice screen grab, herman!
the eagles are not off to the start most people thought, but there is still time to get on track
that pic makes the player looks like some kind of robot warrior from the future!

MrBungle

My take on the Raiders win yesterday, since I predicted a victory for The Browns..... Big Hue has to go... His game management is garbage.... He punted the ball on 4th and inches when the game was on the line..... What a loser

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
it sounds like the raiders got some help from the officials as well, mrB
i dont like to blame a game on bad calls by the referees, but there were some bad calls

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Browns were hosed twice by the refs: first on a fumble by david carr that the brownies were going to return for a TD, called back by the refs because 'forward progress was stopped'. BS. And then giving the browns a first down on a run by hyde, then reversing the call and saying it was 4th and inches. Yeah, hue should have run it or QB sneaked it for the 1st and the chance to run out the clock, but absolutely there was no clear evidence to overturn that spot. Guess the league wanted to make sure gruden finally got a win?
But isn't it nice to think that, after a loss, your team should definitely have won that game, Bungle? Instead of realizing that you had zero chance at a W? I was like that with the bears the last few years, it's nice to have higher expectations now...

I agree that Bosa is probably the chargers' best defensive player, Pop, and i didnt know liuget was out as well. Without that elite pass rush, it's hard to stop today's passing-oriented offenses, and derwin james can't cover the entire field by himself.
It's unfortunate that bosa will be out for another month, but F-spanos, he doesnt deserve a good team, although rivers deserves some playoff success, he's the only top QB from his draft year without a ring (Eli and Ben).

I'm watching denver with a lead on the chiefs, and theyve held Mahomes in check. Just smothering his receivers, pressuring him in the pocket, crowd noise seems to making things difficult for them as well. Maybe this is a blueprint for stopping the chiefs? Just play really good defense, lol...

Latest posts

Latest posts