What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

Space Toker

Veteran
I guess Patriots have a likelihood to do really well in this draft despite being Champs! Sweet! The Great Train rolls on! yeah according to Yahoo but even despite the draft I love our chances! Saying jerseys should be burned was really low class attitude. Anyway, Pats may be done for a while in a few years or maybe not, but I think we got another 1 or 2 easy in us yet! Go 2019 Patriots!

Space Toker

Veteran
I hear next years slogan (got a guy called Hogans heroes right?) is stairway to heaven, no stairway to seven. Yeah 7 baby! Go 2019 Patriots!

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn I'm a Pat's fan as well,but no need to rub the salt in.
It's a new year for everyone,good luck to all our teams.
The better the competition,the better for the true fans of football.Respect to Andy Reid and his team,you guys made it worth watching.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Eh, it's all good NE. The pats have won 6 rings together, tied with the steelers as a franchise, although Pitt did it in the 70s and then the 00s.
If brady plays till he's 45, that's 3 more years to try to win a 7th title, breaking the tie with the steelers as a franchise and with michael jordan as a player.

Belichick has done a great job of molding the team so theyre not so reliant on brady to carry them as he ages. Spending their 1st rd pick on a RB last year was unexpected, but sony michel scored a bunch of td's in the playoffs, including the only one in the superbowl. and of course the defense was stellar in the playoffs, mostly.

That cafe looked pretty good, Toker, and somewhat reasonably priced for a place with some fancy sounding dishes.

I dont think kyler is much shorter than russell wilson or drew brees, and those dudes seem to find plenty of throwing lanes to have success. Plus kyler's mobility will help him find space to throw. So long as he doesnt take too many hard hits while scrambling i think he'll be fine.

As for who's worthy of being #1, well pass rushers are always highly valued, it's one of the few ways you can stop a high powered passing offense. If nick bosa can be a top 5 edge rusher in a year or two, he'll be worth the #1 overall.

I took a look at that mamacita's toscino mix, seemed interesting. A lot of sugar, some salt, and annatto powder, which is like a mexican spice that tastes of pepper and nutmeg? Supposed to be good on pork... maybe next time im in the grocery store or a mexican grocery store ill buy a packet, see how it tastes.

Now that i think about it, K.hunt (heh, johnson, chubb and khunt) will probably be suspended for at least half the year, and his contract is only about 1M so he makes a nice insurance policy in case nick or duke get hurt. But im not sure they should try a 3 headed backfield; it works out for the patriots but didnt for the saints. I think chubb and hunt are the type of backs who need plenty of touches to get going, not one drive here, one series there.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i agree that a good back need to get touches his share of touches to get into a groove and produce
i think there is a lot of overlap in the skill set between hunt and chubb but it could make for some interesting play calling
thats a good point about hunt being a sort of insurance policy
he might not even be allowed to suit up next season and a lot is riding on him being removed from goodels naughty list
i read some more about the deal and cleveland has wording that says he must take resposability for his actions and also attend treatment
it sounds like a good deal for the browns either way with a lot of upside
yeah the toscino isnt hard to make, i found a bunch of recipies online, but ive had the ribs made with the packete seasoning and it was off the hook
im pretty sure he just used the directions on the package and some garlic soy (i remember asking him what he put into it)
i havent watched tape on the kid yet but that was one of the first things i noticed about kylar, comparing him to fltuie or brees would be pretty high end as far as outcomes go
/both of them were once chargers
it looks like hes committed to football so i hope he pans out
i have nothing about smaller guys getting their shot and who knows how his skill set translates to the nfl
he sounds like a hell of an athlete tho

Americangrower

Veteran
On Carr.. I think Gruden will keep him even though it's obvious by his actions he only wants guys he drafts. But Carr was Gruden's guy on his espn Qb camp back then so that makes me think he will work with him. I'm thinking he will draft a later round qb as a backup/project.

I'm surprised the browns signed Hunt, I would have signed Jeremy Hill. He looked like a monster before getting hurt and IR'd for the Pats. Then again maybe I shouldn't be surprised it is the Browns. I sure hope the Pat's resign him.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Hunt may be a better receiver than Chubb but chubb is no slouch as a pass catcher. Maybe once hunt comes back from suspension, theyll think about letting duke johnson go or trading him so they can just give work to two backs instead of three.
It's good that kareem is underdoing counseling, i think most of his problems stem from binge drinking, if he can use responsibly or not at all he should be all right.

It'll be interesting to see where kyler murray goes, arizona has the 1st overall but already said theyre going to stick with josh rosen, maybe theyll trade down for extra picks, whenever you finish with the worst record in the league you usually need help everywhere.

I dont really watch the gruden QB sessions for the draft, seems like he likes every qb for one reason or another. They all have their different strengths and weaknesses. But I agree, i think gruden would ditch carr in a heartbeat for someone he likes more.

Jeremy hill had an awesome rookie year but fell off quickly after that, from what i recall from fantasy football.
smile.gif

Was he good for the pats before being injured? I guess that's his issue, he can never stay healthy enough to play to his potential...

Welp, Antonio brown is going to get traded. He's 30 but should still have some good years left, and for a fairly cheap price, like 11-15M yr for the next 3 years.

And Joe Flacco has already been traded to the broncos, which means case keenum is out of a job unless he renegotiates. No way the broncos are paying 18M yr to a backup QB, and doubt any team would trade for him with that much money owed to him.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
so i have to ask, is joe flaco elite?!?
obviously john elway thinks so
/a "mid round" pick (im hearing 4rth) and a big hit to their salary cap is what they are giving up
if he pans out the broncos will still be an outside shot in the afc west; that division is stacked
but it puts them in the picture once again
the best they could hope is to pull a wild card spot for now; until i see them light things up i still think the chiefs and chargers are the cream of that crop
if flaco does pan out they could have a good team; they have a stout defense and a developing run game
/has one division ever produced three playoff teams before? well it could happen in the west
#f'spanos

i think a.brown has a lot of value and would be an asset to any team that has the moeny to spend regardless of his years
for some guys age aint nothing but a number
he keeps himself in excellent shape and i could see him producing at an elite level for a few more years at least
/dident lary fitzgerald say he was playing another season, hes getting up there in years too but is an amazing athlete
i think chubb is just getting his feet wet and is still going to develop as an nfl back
/if hunt is allowed to play i think he would be better trade value...

radiers drafting another qb sounds solid
good insight about gruden having some history with carr on his tv qb camp (i dident get to see it either)
but they have a ton of picks in the first round so they may even pick someone one upin the first round if someone drops that far
i think their last first round pick is like the #24(?)
/just looked its #27 from dallas

Americangrower

Veteran
I liked Flaco but he has to be 1 of the most inconsistent Qb ever. He can be lights out 1 game and God awful the next.

I don't see 3 teams from 1 division making the playoffs because they play each other twice. So lets say they split 3 and 3 then they all would have to be almost perfect against all other teams. My guess is KC wins and Sd/Den would battle for a wild card if Den is any good.

Jeremy Hill was lights out in the preseason but got hurt in the 1st game. He had like 4 carries for 55 yards when he went down early in the game.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
No, Flacco is not elite, not even close. He had an elite run through the 2012 playoffs, with an 11 td to 0 int streak, but since then he averages like 18td's and 10int's a year, which are mediocre numbers, especially considering how many pass attempts he has (multiple years that offense has been the most pass heavy in the league).

Plus ur right Pop, denver assumes 3 years and 22M/yr of his contract, so theyre kind of stuck with him. Other than being tall and having a strong arm, he's not really any better than keenum was, according to most statistics.

Other than lucking into peyton for a few years, john elway has shown zero ability to obtain or develop a franchise qb for the broncos. Maybe not all stanford grads are smart...

Larry fitgerald is going to turn 36 when the season starts, last year with rosen was sucky for him but before that, 3 years with carson palmer, he averaged over 100 catches and 1100 yds each year, i guess those were his age 31-34 years. I think once he hit 30 he had to work from the slot more than line up outside all the time, but antonio can line up all over the place too.
Only issue with brown is of course his attitude and antics. Supposedly he didnt get along with Ben or his coaches, he's alleged to have pushed his baby's mama recently but no charges were filed. If he can keep it together maybe he'll be great and be worthy of another contract extension, if not and he starts antagonizing everyone it's not going to end well for him.

Ur right, with 3 first round picks oakland can definitely use one on a QB. If thats the case then carr should definitely be worried about being traded.

AG, ur description of flacco sounds like jay cutler. Even from one throw to the next he could vary from good to bad. I always thought that if he could just put together 3-4 good games in the playoffs the bears could make a run, but he never could be consistently good for more than a game or two.

I think two years ago both wild card teams in the NFC came from the south, so it was New orleans, atlanta and carolina all made the playoffs. But ur right, it seldom happens.

I forgot hill was actually on the patriots and got hurt week 1, after that it was all sony michel and james white, with burkhead coming on late. Hill actually beat out gilleslee for the last RB spot; they put hill on IR with a torn acl last year but i guess he'll be released this offseason, they already have 4 rb's (well 3 plus a fullback) on the active roster. He's still only 26, if he can stay healthy he might find a role somewhere else.

Americangrower

Veteran
yeah Cutler is another 1 for sure.

Yes 3 teams same div has happen a few times but it takes them basically splitting their games and winning most of the other games. It also takes some1 in other divisions dominating those divisions, while the remaining teams just split with each other. So they can get in with 10 and 6, 9 and 7 records.

Lol makes me think back to the 1 season the pats didn't get in under Brady when he got hurt. A record of 11 and 5 wasn't good enough.

Hill is a free agent, I am hoping they can sign him since he is coming off injury. They can carry all of them because Develin is full back/tightend.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i agree that falco is not even close to elite
/i just had to say it
he had a good run a while back but has not produced much lately
denver has a good core and as long as flaco dosent ry to force too many passes i think he is a slight plus overall
but i dont see him being a huge upgrade to the qb spot
yeah it rarely happen like ag said with the teams facing each other twice
but the afc west is stacked
the big winner here is b'more; they offloaded some dead weight and got a draft pick in the process
brown has a lot of problems off the field but i think he has been able to aviod any major problems
/i guess the baby mama decided not to press charges in the incident yuo mentioned baba'
there is also the eppisode where he was throwing furniture out of his window because he was robbed but that blew over pretty quickly
on the field he is one of the best recievers around and im sure he will add a lot to any team

this has been an interesting start to the off season

Americangrower

Veteran
Well I can see why Elway made the trade. If he trades or cuts Keenum at 21 mil with a 10 mil dead cap hit and brings Flacco in at 18.5. It will cost him 28.5 mil next year but Flacco has no dead cap left in his 3 year contract. 18.5, 20, and 24 mil.

So he can cut him at any time if he drafts or brings in a legit Qb.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
but do you think flaco is that much of an upgrade at qb?
instead of going all in and finding a new franchise qb they are just putting a bandaid on the problem for another season or two
i think they will have to shift keenum now because of his salary alone

Americangrower

Veteran
I think its probably a wash between the 2, but if they cut/trade Keenum it frees up 11mil giving them close to 30 mil in cap space next year. I also think Elway feels that while he is older, he is a taller and better pocket passer. Plus he probably is healthier then he has been in a while having been on the bench. The extra 2 years at a good number lets him draft and slowly bring him along behind a vet.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i agree ag', but unloading keenum under favorable terms is a big if
flaco isnt the bottom of the barrel, but i think his best years are behind him and he gives the broncos a false sence of security
at the least they will give him a half the year to learn the system and the second half of the year ro derp his way to a another medicore season
lather/rinse/and repeat for the duration of his contract; but joe flaco isnt elite
/ i dont think he can play the role that peyton did a few years back, thats for sure

Americangrower

Veteran
I actually think Flacco is a good qb, elite no but pretty good. I think his last few years have been bad because of his back problems. With the lack of playing i'm betting he feels 100x better then he has in probably 3 years. If they can block for him I can see him doing pretty well. They are going to have to get him some1 to throw to though, maybe Odel or Brown to go with Sanders

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
the broncos o'line isnt half bad and i like their young running back, lindsay
i think even with all the problems, a.brown is an upgrade to almost any offense; the same goes for obj
if the broncos were signing players like that i would take note, but joe flaco...
/even b'more passed on him mid season for a younger more up-tempo qb
the afc west has some pretty big hitters so its going to take a lot to just to keep up

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I think having both wild card teams from one division also means that the other divisions in the conference only had one good team, who wins the division and makes the playoffs, but the other 3 teams in that division arent that good.

If anything, belichick going 11-5 with matt cassell in 2008, after brady got hurt week 1, is evidence of belichick's genius as much as his 8 rings (2 with the giants as an assistant coach). Miami won the division that year, when they busted out the wildcat QB play in a few games.

If jeremy hill could play special teams i could see the patriots keeping him, but if all 3 RBs are healthy, would they keep a 4th plus a fullback? Maybe, but as shown with CJ anderson, sometimes you can just sign a RB off the street if your main guy gets hurt...

I think flacco has the record for most TD passes without being named to a pro bowl, he's got 212 i think. He's averaged 21td's and 13 int's during his career, even when he averages 600+ attempts a season his numbers stay mediocre. I think he was doing ok at the start of last season, john brown was that deep threat that could take advantage of his arm strength, but like AG said he got hurt then lamar took over and went like 6-1 and took them to the playoffs.

I think Pop is right, Flacco is not an upgrade over keenum, he's got a stronger arm but that's it. Emmanuel sanders tore his achilles late in the season, if he comes back next season it might be after week 8 or 10, and not sure if they have the receiver talent to make flacco look better than he is. Courtland sutton could be very good though, but he's just one guy in his 2nd year.

AG is correct though, flacco has no guaranteed money in his remaining deal, so if he sucks this year the broncos could cut him without losing any more than the draft pick they gave up.

I think youre both right, if the broncos can run the ball well and the defense is good, flacco can lead them to a bunch of wins, but couldnt you say that of any half decent QB? Trubisky had a great defense and a pretty good rush attack and the bears won 12 games, but he's pretty raw as a passer, especially against good defenses.

Elway seems to draft QB's based on height, which has led to some crappy picks, but Pop is correct, they should probably try to draft another QB this year and hope they get it right. Let him learn under flacco for a year or if flacco sucks, start him this year, especially if they spent a high pick on him. They have the #10 overall, giving them a shot at kyler murray, daniel jones, drew lock, maybe even dwayne haskins...

Antonio brown said that roethlisberger has an owner mentality, meaning he acts like he owns the team. Criticizes even his coaches and doesnt get disciplined for it.

What's going on with QB's in Pennsylvania? Carson wentz was supposedly unpopular with his teammates cause he was arrogant and demanding.

Say what you want about brady, he's a cheat or whatever, but at least he seems humble. Kyle van noy, when he got traded to the patriots two years ago, said he was in the training room when he first met brady, and tom went up to him, held out his hand and said "Hi I'm Tom Brady". Kyle was like "youre an idiot, of course i know who you are".