What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

MrBungle

I have no clue who they are going to hire.. Lincoln Riley is probably my favorite at this point... Baker himself said he would be a great NFL coach... The big thing is getting Haslem to let Dorsey pick the next head coach, and allow that guy to pick his coordinators... Ian Rappaport seems to think Gregg Williams has zero chance of retaining his position, but I think like you do, if Gregg keeps the team together and shows some promise, he has as good a chance as any other candidate... from Jimmy's perspective it wouldn't be a bad thing to hire from within if possible... And since Gregg Williams has been part of the team he has been loyal to the team, and never got caught up in politics.. So that should say something as well...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
what a weekend of great games!
rams v saints seemed a lot closer than the 10 pt differential would sugest
both teams put up solid numbers in the air but the saints had it all with a high powered air attack combined with some solid running
gurley was held in check by the saints defense, accumulating only 68y in 13 touches
goff was able to put up good numbers in the air but the saints came to play
while i would have liked to see gurley have a better day on the ground, the rams were able to move the ball through the air and played well on defense
both teams came in to the game ready to play, its just that the saints played a better game overall

i think mahomes has to be the front runner for offensive player of the year so far
of course guys like brees and brady deserve consideration but i think mahomes has been key to the success the chiefs are having this year
not only is he putting up the big numbers but the way he is playing has elevated his entire team and made them one of the hottest tickets in the afc
gurley has been a work horse for the rams is definitely on the list of names to consider as well
best defensive player in my book so far has been arron donald with kalil mack a close second

hope everyone had a great weekend and enjoyed the games

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Whats ur record, Storm shadow? I'm 8-1 in one league and 3-6 in another. Still only 1 game out of a playoff spot in that league, though, with 4 left to play. I figure i need to go 3-1 at least to have a realistic shot at making the playoffs as a 6-seed (10 team league, top 6 make playoffs, top 2 seeds have 1st round byes).

I only saw bits of the saints-rams game on my phone as i was running around that afternoon, but it was exciting for sure. Thought it was over when NO went up 21 pts in the first half, then the rams roared back and tied it up by the 4th quarter. Their comeback ran out of gas though, like you said Pop.

Afterwards, some rams players seemed relieved they got that first loss out of the way, so people will stop asking them about going perfect during the season. Better to lose now than in the playoffs, right?
Rams seem vulnerable on defense, especially with marcus peters getting burned regularly. He admitted he's playing like crap. Aqib talib is coming back week 13 (against the bears, unfortunately) so once he matched up with #1 receivers, maybe peters will perform better covering the opponent's 2nd best receiver...

I think mahomes will win mvp, if the chiefs dont have more than 2-3 losses this year. And gurley will win Off Player of the Year if he finished with 25+ TD's (he's on pace for 30 now).

And I agree with you Pop, Donald will win DPOY. He's 2nd in the league with 10 sacks, from a Def tackle position no less (tackles typically get less sacks than ends). I dont think khalil is in the running for the award though, not unless he puts up numbers these last 8 games like he did the first 4 games of the season.

Tomorrow night we've got the panthers visiting the steelers. Both of them are solid playoff teams. Cam is playing the best ball of his career, on par with his mvp season in 2015. And the steelers offense is again one of the league's best, roethlisberger is top 10 in most stats, brown and juju are a top 3-5 WR duo, and conner is playing as well as leveon ever has. The defense is still not good, but in some metrics theyre actually league average or better. They're 11th with 188pts given up in 8 games and 8th with 5 rushing TDs given up so far. So not great but not terrible either.

Steelers are favored by 4, im going with the panthers on this one. I think cam rushes for 1 or 2 goal line scores, and moves the ball up and down the field against the steelers at will. And the panthers' defense is only a little better statistically than Pitts', but i think they do just enough to get the win.

What do you guys think?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
saints just signed dez bryant for the rest of the season
the saints already have a high powered offense with guys coming at you from all directions, not they have two #1 receivers?!? thomas is a solid #1 receiver already and lit the rams up big time, (12 rec/ 211y/ 1td)
now they are adding dez to the mix? this team just jumped to a whole nuther level
plus this looks like a win/win for both dez bryant and the NOSaints
/it sounds like he turned down more money/ a longer term deal because he wanted to build his value to negotiate a new deal next season
with brees chucking em he is going to get his chance to prove he is still elite
im glad talib is coming back, like you said baba', peters gets burned too often and has been playing like crap (his own admission)
you are right that mack is a reach, but i like the way he has fit into the bears defensive scheme and he has definitely made an impact
donald is putting up numbers you would expect to see from a DE or LB, he is playing beyond beastly
i think he is just getting stronger as the season progresses and hope he can finish off strong in the playoffs
todd gurley has to be the best back in the league, and with his versatility, the best offensive player
he can put up big numbers on the ground and is emerging as a receiving threat as well; i can see him finishing the season with some solid numbers
plus, lets not forget about the touchdown that gurley could have had
(closing minutes against the packers, gurley lays down and keep the clock running instead of taking it in for the score)
all he wants to do is win and thats why gurley as the best offensive player in my book
car and pitt should be a fun game, so whats the deal with bell?
is he going to play at all this season and how does it effect him going foreward
i think we are at the deadline for him to get credit for a season played, if not we are pretty close
on one hand i understand where he is coming from and when he is one the field he can be one of the best backs in the league; but there are at least three backs i can think of off the top of my head that can put up numbers just like his who arent asking for the whole pot of gold
i hope he shows up and reminds us what a great player he can be

we are getting to the point in the season where we will start to see who the real deal and whos not
a lot of teams are still in the hunt and i cant wait to see how this season ends up

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I believe Leveon has until next Wednesday, Nov 14th, to report to the team and sign his contract if he wants to get credit for this year in his 'years of service' in the league.

Supposedly bell left miami, where he's been training, and is in pittsburgh now. After Conner suffered a concussion against the panthers, the steelers could probably use bell right now. Also, during the blowout of the panthers, bell tweeted that it's time to 'pass the sticks', which i guess is video game parlance for pass the controller to the next player. Intimating that he's going to take over lead back duties from conner soon.

I could really use him too, have him on my team that i'm 3-6 in, the commish in that league nabbed Conner with his last draft pick (17th round!) and has been riding him to an 8-1 record and 1st place. Screw that guy, no more free ride, getting top 5 RB production from a 17th round pick. Bell's going to take over and hopefully i can run the table from here on out.

I remember that play where gurley slid down instead of running for the easy TD, Pop. He just wanted to pick up the 1st down and bleed the clock instead of scoring and giving the ball back to aaron rodgers with a minute left and possibly down by 8 (if they miss the extra point after gurley scores). Afterwards he even said they dont care about vegas (if he had scored the total would have been the over on the over/under) or fantasy (he already had a 25+pt game by most fantasy settings), players and coaches just care about the win. As it should be.

That was the shortest comeback ever, Pop. Dez tore his achilles tendon in his 1st or 2nd practice with the team, sad to say but at his age that's probably a career-ender for him. Achilles tears are much harder to recover from than acl tears, usually it takes 2 years for a player to fully recover and even then theyre never 100%, half the time they cant stay in the league theyve lost so much speed/quickness.

I didnt think he was going to be much of a difference maker anyway. He wasnt that good his last couple of years in dallas, although he was dealing with a lot of foot injuries then. Still, he could have been a decent red zone target for them, he was always good at bodying up smaller corners and getting position to make a catch.

I didnt watch too much of the panthers-steelers game once carolina fell behind by 3 scores. Blowouts arent that interesting to me unless it involves the bears (and the bears are the ones blowing out the opponent).

Bears host the lions tomorrow at noon in what should be a winnable match, but u never know with divisional games.

There arent a whole lot of interesting games this weekend, i think saints at bengals is the only game between teams with winning records (other than panthers-steelers, and we know how that turned out).

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
saints at bengals was a good game
brees is playing on a whole nuther level and put up HUGE numbers against a injured cincinatti d
cardinals/chiefs was a fun game and a lot closer then i expected, bears beat the lions and hold on to their lead of the nfc north
/were you able to watch that game baba?
titans seem to be all over the place but were able to beat the pats? what happened there
rams and SEA was a great game
the D took over in the 4rth and was able to shut down the hawks, but willison was feasting on the easy yards scrambling and put up almost a 100y on the ground
SDSU alum rashard penny filled in the blanks on the ground and averaged over 9y a carry on 12 touches
/almost 200y rushing here folks off easy stuff
the rams D needs to tighten up in the middle
yeah, donnald is playing like a beast, fowler came through big with a timely strip sack and suh even got in on the action this weekend (teaming up with donald on a sack), but they are giving up too many yards in the middle
i guess the clock is ticking and by this wed we will know whats the deal with le'veon bell
i hope he shows up, just so you get something for your draft spot in fantasy

hope your week is off to a great start brother, any plans for thanksgiving?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Saints at bengals was a blowout, an offensive clinic for new orleans. I think they were one of the first teams in history to score on their first 9 possessions? Crazy. And youre right pop, brees is looking like an mvp frontrunner, it’s either him or mahomes. Not bad for old man brees.
Did you ever miss him, Pop, and think the chargers should have kept him over rivers?

I feel like ive asked you that question before, lol, but not recently at least...

I did catch a lot of the lions-bears game. Trubisky looked very good, although maybe he got lucky on some throws (the one where allen robinson had to turn around and catch it in the end zone was one) but overall he looked accurate. Defense was stellar until giving up 2 td’s in garbage time. Should be a good match this Sunday night against the Vikings. Packers also play tomorrow at seattle, theyre not out of it in the nfc north either. Should be a fun 3 way battle for the divisional title, the runner up probably gets a wild card playoff spot…

Yeah Pop, rams defense has been gashed both times by seattle’s run game. Should be interesting to see what the chiefs can do against them on MNF, which is back in LA after concerns over the field conditions at Mexico City stadium. The over-under on the game is 64, which supposedly is the highest since the 80’s. So experts are predicting plenty of offense; it’ll be funny if it becomes a defensive struggle, like 21-20…

Patriots lost by 3 scores to the titans, surprisingly. Theyre losing ground in the race for home field advantage throughout the conference playoffs to the chiefs, over whom they hold the tiebreaker, having given the chiefs their one loss.

Brady isnt playing particularly well, even in fantasy he's been dropped in some leagues. Somehow i still think theyll be ok, although you have to wonder if brady has finally hit a wall, a la Peyton manning in 2015. Happens to everybody. What's that saying, Father Time is undefeated?

Leveon didn’t show up (boo!), which is probably a smart decision on his part: preserves his body for a major free agent deal next year. If he can get something better than gurley’s deal with the rams (59M, 45M guaranteed) then it’ll have been worth missing out on 14.5M this year. That’s a lot of money, but he was also risking injury like dez Bryant (torn achilles) and earl Thomas (broken leg), both of whom suffered season enders that will also negatively impact their contract prospects next year. Dez and earl will have to sign minimum type deals next year, to prove theyre healthy and can perform, and then maybe in 2020 they can sign a bigger contract.

Thanksgiving is already around the corner, Pop, and I have no plans whatsoever. I probably should cook, but it’s so tempting to just go to the Chinese buffet on holidays instead of slaving in a kitchen for hours or days…

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
im always down for a good chinese buffet, brother!
we have a bunch great buffets to choose from here in san diego and right now our fav is a korean bbq called mana, where you cook the meat right at your table
as long as i get to eat a whole bunch of mashed potatoes and gravy i guess i would be happy with anything for thanksgiving
plus, who is going to complain about a four day weekend and extra helpings of football
sucks about leveon and the steelers not coming to terms
i can see where both sides are coming from but feel bad for the fantasy guys who now have a fat zero sitting on their rosters
for whom will the bell toll in 2019? i guess the big question now is who will bell be playing for next season
he wont be playing in pitt, thats for sure
i heard his former team mates even went and cleaned out his stuff
/that seemed kind of weird that they would do that, but who knows how he left things in the locker room
so where do you see him going next year and what kind of deal do you think he will get?
it would be hard to sign him to a really long term contract, hes 28y right now (maybe 29 by next season)?
i guess the question is, how much longer can he play at this elite level and how much is that worth to an nfl team
i could see him going to miami or the jets, where a feature back of his caliber would change the whole offense
a good friend had the hottest take and said GB should sign him as an incentive for a.rodgers to keep playing until the end of time
i could see him being a great fit in wisco playing along side arron rodgers and catipulting the team into instant playoff contenders
but we will see what the market is like for an aging RB who is asking for franchise money
even tho im not a fan of phillip rivers, i think the chargers did what they thought was best at the time
/ no matter how i feel about the guy, its hard to complain about rivers, a future hof qb
also, at the time brees was let go, he had just sustained an injury (elbow or shoulder??) so it would be hard to predict how he would have performed after the injury
/btw, have i mentioned f! d.spanos?!?
hopefully the rams wont cross paths with the saints again until deep in the playoffs

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I love a good korean bbq, with grilling those meats right at your table over hardwood charcoal. Really nice. We have a few around here, theyre pretty pricey, especially if theyre all u can eat...

Bud Dupree, steelers outside linebacker, took leveon's Jordan brand cleats and thanked Leveon: "Appreciate the cleats, my guy. Hope you the best, wish you success my guy." As his teammates were cracking up in the background. Hilarious.

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1062809136218431489

I mean, leveon didnt even show up to clean out his locker, so it was all fair game. Why throw out perfectly good gear? Although i imagine the team provides gear, those jordan brand cleats were pretty stylish with the patent leather bottoms...

He never returned texts from his coach or Ben Roethlisberger, or anyone from the team, which is kind of shady if you ask me, but maybe he was keeping business separate from personal.

He's actually 26, will be 27 next Feb. He's came into the league 5 years ago as a 21 year old college junior.
Prior history suggests he'll decline in 3 years, once he hits 30, but till then he'll have 3 years of prime production, and probably another 2-3 years of pretty good production, barring serious injury.

Miami or the jets would be good choices, not sure about the packers, they seem to be riding aaron jones for now, who's leading the league in yards per carry.

How about the Bears, Pop? He'd be an elite weapon for Trubisky. Although we have a pair of good backs in howard and cohen, neither combine leveon's effectiveness both running and catching the ball.

I totally forgot about brees's shoulder injury, it was serious enough that the dolphins passed on signing him in favor of daunte culpepper. A year later, saban was back in college football at alabama, much to the dismay of every school in the SEC, and college football in general.

Rams-saints looks to be the powerhouse NFC championship matchup. Every game is crucial with home field advantage at stake, the saints holding the tiebreaker having beat them.

I'd like to think my bears could have a say in the playoffs, and they do play the rams in december so we'll see how they match up, but realistically the rams and saints are just too talented for even chicago's vaunted defense...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i heard the same abouthow he would not return texts but it seems like this was about him and the team management
when you factor in how the young guy, conner has been playing (on his rookie contract) i can see how pit dident feel pressured to negotiate
so what does pitt have to lose? i heard they could be entitled to compensatory draft picks, or how they can match any other teams offer (yeah, right) but i dident really get the just of what that was about
bell going to chicago would be huge too, showing the team is going all in wanting to win a championship NOW
/...rams
signing k.mack to defense was big and adding bell to the offense would be taking it up another notch for sure
at 27y, a three year/ four year deal isnt that big a stretch
but im sure bell is going to be wanting gurley money at least, with all the guarantees
(4y/ 57.5m with 45m of that guaranteed)
rams and saints have to be the two best teams in the nfc right now
chiefs and chargers are hot in the afc
i think the bears are playoff contenders for sure and we might be surprised with how they finish off the season
lets see how they play against the vikings but i think they could be ready to take it up a notch
/offense coming together behind a new qb plus the defense jelling around k.mack
cant wait to see how the season finishes my man!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Conner has been playing very well, in some respects he runs the ball even better than leveon, but he's not quite in leveon's league as a pass catcher. Still, youre right, the steelers are very happy with their RB situation, especially since conner is making like half a mill this year.

I think if the steelers lose him to free agency next year (100% chance they wont resign him) they'll get a compensatory draft pick, in the 3rd round or so.

I figure bell signs a 4 or 5 year deal next offseason, with guaranteed money for the first 3 years only, maybe 46-48M, a little more than gurley. That way if he does start sucking once he hits 30, the team can cut him without much penalty or owing him any more money.

I was halfway kidding about the bears signing bell, i think they only have like 5M in cap room next year (the khalil signing was a big hit financially), they'd have to cut some players to sign bell. Not sure it's a good idea to have market leading contracts for a Def player and a RB on the same team, that's pretty top heavy for a sport where you start 28+ players every game (including special teams).

The vikings should be a big test, their defense is rounding into form after a shaky start. Kirk cousins has that offense humming most weeks, they have a healthy dalvin cook now also. Even if the bears lose, they'll play again in week 17, but yeah, this game is pretty important for division supremacy.

We have packers at hawks tonite. Remember the Fail Mary game in 2012, where the replacement refs botched the catch in the end zone (one signaled touchdown, another signaled no catch)? Good times.

Before the season started, i thought the hawks had a chance to be the worst team in the division, but theyve been playing well despite losing the Legion of Boom. Helps that the cards suck and the niners dont have garappolo.
But the hawks are favored by 3 at home, which represents home field advantage, so most experts think theyre as good as the packers. Not that the packers are doing so great, but any team with #12 is dangerous down the stretch....

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
sea v gb looks like it will be a fun game and i expect to see a lot of what we saw last week against the rams
willson can move and has no problem scrambling once the defense commits
r.penny has a ton of potential and i wouldent mind him seeing a lot of touches in the backfield, if he can develop his game as a receiver he could become a key player on that offense
yeah i dont expect chi to get too involved in trying to sign bell; you guys have a workable tandem in the backfield so why rock the boat
i think both guys have the character to play behind a feature back like bell, but why would the front office want to put all that money on the table when have two good backs already
i think you are right about the compensation the steelers would get for bell and i think pitt would be happy cutting ties and taking the third round pick
some games to keep an eye on this weekend are the colts v titans and the bears/vikings
game
rams/chiefs will be the game of the week and im looking forward to this clash between two of the hottest teams in the nfl
you know i will be tuning in sunday night and i will be rooting for your bears baba

man, can you believe that this time enxt week we are going to be stuffed with good food drunk as hell (as opposed to just a little drunk like now) and nailed to the couch?
it seems like it wasnt that long ago that we were talking preseason football, now we are rounding the corner
its been a fun season and the ride isnt over just yet!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Welp, Hawks pulled out a come from behind win to beat the Pack. Packers fall to 4-5-1 on the season, hawks are 5-5.

Rodgers had some typically great throws but also skipped a pass on 3rd and 2 with 4mins left in the game and mccarthy decided to punt, game over.

Maybe if the packers dont make the playoffs, mccarthy gets replaced with a more innovative offensive mind, someone who can embody more of the college spread concepts to take advantage of rodger's talents (accuracy, arm strength, mobility).

Then again, i remember 3 years ago the packers were 4-6, rodgers said i think we can run the table, 6 wins later they were 10-6 and made the conference championship game where they lost to the falcons. So cant count em out yet...
Im torn between them making the playoffs (probably at the expense of the bears) and keeping mccarthy or not making playoffs and getting a better coach and winning another title or 2 in the next 5 years, while rodgers is still elite.

I think packers fans want mccarthy gone...

Thanks for rooting for the bears, Pop, that's awfully kind of you, although i fear it will just lead to disappointment, lol. Trust me as a bears fan following this team over the last 30 years, there's some highs but a lot of lows...
Still, they have 4 divisional games left (2x vikings, one at lions, hosting packers) plus a date with the rams on sunday night football on Dec 7 (i believe), we'll see if theyre just beating up weak teams (i think all of their wins have come against teams with losing records currently) or theyre legit. Their margin of victory against bad teams suggest theyre legit (if u beat a bad team by 15-20pts, that means more than if you only beat them by 1-3pts) so im hopeful they can compete, but i dont see anyone from the nfc north beating either the rams or saints in the conference playoffs. Maybe next year...

Are you doing the whole turkey day shebang, Pop? Cooking turkey with all the sides? I used to do that for like 10 years, planned it all out the week before, spent a day prepping, a day cooking, then got tired of that shee-it, lol. I still like to cook, of course, just dont like an all day, exhausting, make everything from scratch, cooking; seriously, i would make my own pie dough and filling and make pies, never turned out as good as store bought imo, sadly. I only tried doing that when i tasted some homemade pies my friend had, they were awesome, apparently they were given to him by a family friend, some old lady who bakes holiday pies every year, she probably has decades of baking experience. Never could get my pies to taste like hers...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
im no stranger to disappointment baba'; remember i once rooted for a team that has won zero super bowls and consistently shit the bed in the playoffs
add in the seasons they were so bad that the fun part of the weekend was not "if" we were going to lose, but "how" and you get a feeling for what it was like to be a charger fan for all those years
#f-spanos!
i think mccarthy is done in gb, i have a lot of friends who are gb fans and they are already taking to the street, pitch forks in hand and calling for blood
/i like to remind them how spoiled have been, but i wouldent be surprised if he is fired as soon as the season ends
sounds like you went really big for the holiday,man
thats super cool
baking is an art form all its own and takes years to master
i bet the meal was off the hook tho and it soudns like a lot of fun
you know it baba, we are doing the whole bird and all the fixings
i do a lot to help but the mrs is kind of taking the helm this year (its her family coming over so she wants everything to be extra special)
we invited my buddy who usually deep frys turkeys over and hes bringing the potatoes and a pie (he makes some good home made pies, but doesnt make his crust from scratch)
so we are just on the hook for the bird, some veggies and stufffing
im doing the bird
but of course the mrs wants to go all in with fancy brussel sprout dish, and salads and stuff
/im would have been happy to crack open a can of green beans, cream of mushroom soup,and top it with the frenches onions, then call it a day
i will do all i can to help in the kitchen but my plan is to spend as much time on the couch as i can
/i might have to dip out to smoke, but at some point you know im just going to say f'it and go loud in the house

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Haha, yeah, I guess the chargers (F dean spanos) are one of the 13 franchises that have never won a superbowl, which includes the vikings and lions in the nfc north. And the only superbowl appearance was in 1994, when steve young and the niners waxed junior seau (r.i.p.) by 3 scores (young threw 6 tds, still a SB record i believe).

Bears arent much better, we're still living off the superbowl shuffle victory from '85. Hasnt been great to see the packers win two titles in the years since, but we can at least console ourselves that they 'only' won two championship despite having 25 years of HOF QB play from favre and rodgers. Small solace indeed, but i guess we're better off than vikings fans (often have good teams but so many close losses in conf championships and SB's) and lions fans (just decades of suck with occasional bright spots of good but not great teams).

Im not too worried tho, i enjoy football in general even if my team sucks, and you seem to be investing heavily in what the rams are doing, and theyre a SB favorite. Really great game monday night, rams hosting chiefs. And thats after sunday night when bears host the vikes. And then of course we have 3 games on turkey day, so, lot of football coming up the next 5 days.

Im still thinking rodgers could save mccarthy's job if they go on a run, make the playoffs and win a game or 2 in the playoffs. Maybe mgmt forces him to bring in a new Off Coordinator in that case, to modernize the offense yet keep the rest of the coaching staff, who have had a lot of success, and it's not their fault they keep getting hit with injuries (think they had 4 def starters out vs the hawks, and 3 more leave during the game and not return).

Im just worried if they fire him some hot new coach is going to come in and have the packers average 35pts a game next season and roll teams on their way to a superbowl...:huggg:

Yeah, that old lady made this incredible pound cake with lemon icing, just moist, rich, buttery. Tried to replicate it with crisco, butter, etc but never could get it like that, and most of my attempts were worse than store bought pound cake. Ah well...

Are you brining the bird, Pop? I tried various methods of turkey making, including the deep fry one year, and the best compliments ive had was when i brined the bird for 24 hours and then roasted it in the oven as normal. I think thats how sams club makes its rotisserie chickens, they brine them first and then roast them, and supposedly gourmet chefs think it's a very good bird.

But most birds already come with "10% salt solution or juices added" or something to make them weigh more, so maybe you need to de-brine it first then brine it? And I think i used a little bit of a fancy recipe for the brine, not just salt and pepper but things like rosemary, thyme, etc, and you have to cook the brine first to get all the flavor and salt mixed into the water, let it cool, then brine the bird. It was honestly a bit of a pain in the arse which explains why i never did it again even though i got high praise, although i also think i was still experimenting with diff methods (next year i might have done the deep fry).

If you have a smoker, that's an option as well, my buddy said the juiciest turkey he's had was when it was smoked. Never did it myself as i didnt have a smoker at the time, and by the time i got one i was over the holiday cooking itch...

Thats funny u mention the classic green been casserole, my brother really likes that dish and hes a bit of a food snob. But when done right it's good and creamy and oniony, really masks the flavor of the green beans well. :biggrin:

Maybe you should make some edibles or oil to ingest during the gathering if it's going to be hard for u to smoke? But if it's not too big a deal dipping out for a quick vape or whatev then shouldnt be an issue, wish u the best my man!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yeah ive pretty much become a la rams fan again
when i was a little kid i lived in santa barbera and was a rams fan, then we moved to san diego and i was a chargers fan ever since
i have never brined a turkey but this year maybe i will
for the past few years my friend has been deep frying our birds for thanksgiving and you want them to be dry
that is a great tip about cooking the brine first,man
maybe i will give it a go
the mrs actually made a bunch of eddibles the other weekend and i will be sure to have a bite or two in addition to sparking up the bong

what games besides the bears will you be following
there are some colt fans around who will have a good game to watch this weekend
chargers-broncos could be interesting (division games are always critical)
/i hear no joey bosa this week
and i wonder how many points bree will put up against the eagles on their way to another win
/that team is red hot right now
cant wait for the games to begin and hope you are having a great weekend

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ah, so maybe it was kismet that the rams moved back to la one year before the chargers moved out of san diego. Even better that the rams are really good again, although the chargers are no slouch either, even if bosa doesnt play.

I think i did the alton brown brine recipe, from Good Eats, that tv show on food network where he goes into the science of cooking. Im sure you can google it and it'll come right up. Im pretty sure he's the one anal enough to debrine a bird that has 10% solution added (some birds dont) so when you do brine it, the meat will soak up more of your brine. The purpose of the brine is to make the meat salty and juicy, trap that salt and water in the cells so when you cook it it doesnt all come out thats how you get dry meat.

It was mostly a pain because you had to keep everything chilled while it was brining and de-brining, but a big ass turkey only really fit good in a 5 gallon bucket, and it's hard to fit that big of a bucket in your fridge unless you empty like half of it: kind of hard to do especially if youre making a bunch of other food!
But living in chicago it was cold enough that november where i could safely keep the bucket in the garage, not the fridge; also, unless ur sure the plastic bucket you use is food safe (some are, depending on what plastic theyre made of), you need to use a BIG ziploc bag, else you might leech some plastic taste into the meat, a big no no.

There's a bunch of good games on tomorrow, titans at colts (titans offense playing better now that mariota's elbow is healed, luck and the colts have won 4 in a row), bucs at giants (both teams are losers but could be a shootout), panthers at lions (lions not good but beat the pats and vikings so anything can happen), cowboys at falcons (boys playing decent on both sides of the ball, falcons have good offense, defense still stinky), and then the afternoon games, eagles at saints (defending champions trying to turn it around against a superbowl favorite). Then of course bears host vikings at night. Which is just an hordeurve (sp?) for monday night.

Which is kind of a screwy deal for the bears, to be flexed to sunday night (originally a noon game CST) and then have to play the early thanksgiving game (1130am) just 4 days later, giving them like 90 hours between games, instead of 96 or more.

Not sure if the extra 6 hours or more would make a difference in performance but something to consider if the bears fall flat against the lions on turkey day...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i think playing games that close together has to take its toll
especially if tonights game is especially physical, i bet it takes a good two or three days to recover and then you are put right back out there on the field
but its fun ot have your team play in the prime time slots
the chargers are playing very well this season but like the rest of socal, im not interested
/#f-spanos
bucs and giants might be ok, its one of those someone has to win games
tb looked like they were off to a good start but fell apart pretty fast; ny is going to have to do something about eli at some point, i think the rebuild starts with the qb in NY
i was thinking i could toss the turkey into a big cooler filled with salt water and ice and just let it sit for a day or two
i will have to get on it tho, we just got the turkey yesterday and its already thawed
i have a solid rub i can also go with as a plan b
i used to watch good eats, the guy is definitely anal about his cooking but tis fun to hear the why behind "why" some things work
so have you nailed down your plans yet? even if you dont go all out,be sure to have something you really like to eat and be thankful for all the good thinks ,brother

cant wait for the games to start
looks like the mrs is heading out for the day si i have a clear shot to the couch for the day
i have some meats in a rub im going to grill up and a bunch of weed to burn
might break out some hash today too
hope you enjoy the games!