What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2017

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
im with you herman, the rams are the most fun team to watch right now
they played a great game against sea and it looks like they are building crazy momentum going into the playoffs
if gurley can keep those wheels turning it takes a lot of the pressure off goff
they also have a great defense

so do the packers continue to play rogers even tho they have nothing to gain, or should they rest him for the last few games?

and lets hope zeke elliot has learned his lesson and will start to behaive himself off the field
i know he is young and all, but he could be a big part of why the c'boys wont be seeing any postseason action this year

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Im glad the bortles pick worked out for u, Bungle. I started him in one league and ended up with the highest score of the season last week. Too bad it came in the consolation round. But that's football...

Patriots got lucky at Pittsburgh. The TD catch that was overturned seemed stupid but was the correct call, there have been similar calls this past year (one on jordan howard, one on austin sefarian jenkins). Then the tipped game-sealing interception was reminiscent of the superbowl interception against the Hawks. Romo was announcing the game and was calling for a fade in the end zone, if it goes out of bounds you still kick the tying field goal and go to overtime.
Antonio Brown out for the rest of the season due to a partially torn calf muscle, should be ok for the playoffs. With their offense at full strength i think the steelers have more than a chance at foxboro against the patriots, Ben is playing and moving like he's 5 years younger, they have brown, juju, martavis and eli rogers at receiver, all of whom are fast enough to score from anywhere on the field, and the best rb in the league in leveon. Still, it would have been better if they had secured home field during the playoffs.

With atlanta's win last night, the packers are officially out of the playoff, and they may sit rodgers the rest of the season. There supposedly isnt any greater chance of reinjuring his collar bone if he plays, so he might not sit. The 3 ints he threw were his most in like 5-6 years, so even though he gave them their best chance at winning, he was evidently rusty.

The hawks were only outscored by 1pt in the 2nd half of their loss to the rams; the bad news is they were outscored by 34 in the 1st half. Maybe evergreenstate was right and the hawks are a team on the decline now. Will that make niners fans happy?

Bears offense fell flat again in the loss to detroit. Jordan howard ran for 120 yds in the first game against the lions, less then 40yds this game. Not sure why he was so underused, the score wasnt so out of reach that they had to abandon the run. But this is why the bears need a new coach.
Maybe their former special teams coach, dave toub, would be a good candidate. He's currently coaching ST for the chiefs; you normally think of an offensive or defensive coordinator as a good head coaching candidate, but john harbaugh was a ST coach before head coaching the ravens, and theyve been consistently successful under him, even winning a superbowl with joe flacco at QB.

shithawk420

Veteran
Rogers is out.they would be stupid to play him.the Bears are so fucked i dont really care anymore.i didnt think they were gonna win but damn they looked bad.every time Cohen kicks ass some other fuck gets a flag and they gotta go back.its getting really hard to be a Bears fan eh Baba? i lived in GA and have family there so im just gonna root for the Falcons

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
After I posted, the packers put rodgers on IR and re-signed their practice squad qb as their #2 behind brett hundley.
Disappointing year for the packers, not making the playoffs for the first time in 8 (7?) years, and no one from their roster being named a pro bowler. No one from the bears was voted into the pro bowl either, but the bears suck.
Even when the bears were good, i found watching their games difficult, Hawk. The offense was terrible most years, got tired of seeing another orton or grossman 3 and out. I appreciate good defense, which the bears usually had, but it can get boring watching good defense.
Now, it's all about seeing who the bears will sign in free agency, the draft, who they'll hire to replace fox, etc.

Falcons and saints have a big matchup this weekend, just 2 weeks after they last played (falcons won by 3). NFC south might send 3 teams to the playoffs, just have to figure out who's going to win the division and who's going to be a wildcard.

No thursday game last night, but 2 games on saturday, and 2 games on monday night football. It's possible the bears will lose to the winless browns, in which case fox is most assuredly gone.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Hope everyone had a merry christmas. It's freezing in the midwest currently and will be for the next week. Could use some of that global warming right about now.

Bears beat the winless browns last week, who look like they'll complete their perfect 0-16 season next week against the Steelers. But the browns are set up with the #1 and #5 overall picks in the draft. Josh Rosen doesnt want to play for cleveland, but if they draft Sam Darnold and Saquon Barkley, they could be a regular playoff team for the next 10 years. I like Darnold better as a prospect anyway; he's more mobile than Rosen, and seems less injury prone.

Chiefs are locked into their playoff seed so they may rest their starters this week. Chargers look to be out of the playoffs unless other teams lose. Cowboys are out of the playoffs after losing to the seahawks by 9 pts; they had the ball at the 3yd line late in the game and didnt give it to Zeke once, settling for a missed FG attempt.
Sunday all of the games will be finished by the afternoon (no SNF or MNF), and Monday, New year's day, is Black Monday in the NFL, which is when coaches get fired. The bears coach will be one, probably Tampa's coach, maybe cleveland, bengals coach isnt coming back, pagano will be gone from indy, giants have already fired theirs. I dont know who the bears will hire but i hope they're good.
Also the college football playoff semifinals are on new years day, so more good games to watch. Playoff football, gotta love this time of year...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
Playoff football, gotta love this time of year...

you know it baba'

still a few teams that might make it to the post season, but many will need help to get in

in other news, its time for the silverback to shine
the pats just signed james harrison
while he dident see a lot of playing time in the regular season, he is a solid player and a beast on defense
/as well as knowing pits playbook
it would not surprise me one bit for him to make an impact in the post season

gurley is putting up huge numbers for the rams and their defense is playing lights out right now
im hoping they can stay on track and win a game or two this post season

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Harrison only played 40 snaps (less than 1 full game) for the Steelers this year, so i can see why he'd want to go somewhere where he can actually get on the field more, and the patriots do need pass rushing help. But yeah, the pats signing seems to be an attempt to get to know the steeler's playbook, beyond what you can see on film. Which is fair, and teams do it all the time, the patriots more than most maybe, but theyre a smart team, looking for any edge they can find, which is part of the reason theyve been so consistently successful...

Gurley has been the best RB in football (and fantasy) this year, and should be a contender for league MVP (along with tom brady). However, reports are that gurley (and goff) will sit out next week since their playoff seed is locked in. If gurley had another huge game, that would have helped his mvp candidacy.

Which means that the niners are likely to beat the rams this week if the rams sit their best players. The 49ers are 4-0 since garoppolo took over. So I guess it's a guaranteed 16-0 season for them next year?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Hope everyone had a good New year's holiday. Can you believe it's 2018 already? Back in the 70's people thought we would have flying cars by 2020. Do drones count?
We have wild card playoff games this weekend. Titans at chiefs and falcons at rams on saturday, and bills at jaguars and panthers at saints on sunday.
This is the bills first playoff game in 17 years; they almost missed it because they started peterman at qb against the chargers. In 15 pass attempts he threw 5 interceptions. Now, even if they had started tyrod that game, they likely would have lost (chargers were in the middle of a hot streak at that time), but by starting peterman they had zero chance.

Bears, lions, colts, raiders all fired their coaches. Arians is retiring from arizona. Marvin lewis, surprisingly, is coming back next year for the bengals, as is Hue jackson for the browns (1 win vs 31 losses last 2 years, worst 2 year record in league history).
Not sure who the bears are going to hire, just hope it's a good one...

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
It would be funny if the Bears hired Chuck Pagano, and then went to the Superbowl.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
love this weekends match-ups, baba!
i wonder if there is a "david" somewhere in that mix ready to challenge the leagues golliaths
/and if not this year, im expecting a couple of those names to be in the mix for next season!

what a year its been!
even tho i lost my team*, 2017 was a fun season to watch!
so,lets hear who you fellow IC_Mag'ers like as far as leagues best goes
who do you think should be this years league MVP
how about the rookie of the year?
best offensive/ defensive player (heck even run down the position of you want)
ex: best running back:LA Rams/ todd gurley
make up your own category and fill in the blanks!

its playoff football guys!

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I think chuck pagano was a decent defensive coordinator with the ravens before he went to the Colts. If vic fangio is promoted to bears head coach, he'll need a DC to take his old spot. Maybe pagano would be all right in that role. Jim schwartz lost a bunch of games as head coach of the lions, but as a DC with the bills and now the eagles he's been really good...

I guess it's between Gurley and brady for MVP. Gurley sitting out the last game of the regular season hurt his chances to pad his stats though, so maybe you give it to Brady, even though tom only had a good year, not a great one (by his standards).
Offensive rookie of the year probably goes to Kamara of the saints, maybe def rookie goes to his teammate marcus lattimore.

I actually kind of like the saints to go far in the playoffs. If you have a great rushing attack and a solid defense, and a future HOF QB is your plan B in case the run game and defense arent playing well, that's a team with zero weaknesses. But the rams and the vikings are complete teams as well.
The eagles, even though theyre the #1 seed, are not as dangerous with foles at qb as they were with wentz, so unfortunately theyll probably have to wait till next year for a real chance at the lombardi.

shithawk420

Veteran
Really?no love for the Falcons?it's gonna be a good game.honestly think the rams will win though.I'd love to see Matt Ryan beat Tom Brady this time.not gonna hold my breath though

iTarzan

Baba rookie Kareem Hunt won the rushing title and I think that makes him offensive rookie of the year. In fact he had just as good of a year as Gurly. He only fumbled once on his first carry of the year and Gurly had 5 fumbles. Gurly had more yards recieving but he would have had less if he played on the same team with Tyrek Hill. Hunt should get votes for MVP too.

Hunt did disappear for a few games so that probably takes him out of the MVP race but I would be shocked if he did not win OROY.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
^this all the way itarzan!
hunt would get my vote for O'rookie of the year

sean mcvay = coach of the year

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
chucky going to the raiders?
is this true?

/rumor is gruden just left the booth and will be the new head coach of the soon to be LV raiders

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
It's impressive that 3 of the 6 nfc playoff teams came from the nfc south, but i think the falcons are the worst of the 3. Their defense is better than last year but their offense took a big step back. I think they averaged like 8.5 yards on 1st down last year, which is the best 1st down avg in league history, so you figured that's not repeatable, but matt ryan looks like an above average qb at best, downright bad at worst. It's a far cry from his MVP season a year ago.
Totally forgot about kareem hunt for rookie of the year. Yeah, he led the league in rushing, started off hot and finished strong but in between had a 2 mth stretch without a TD, while Kamara blew up during that time. Kamara finished with more td's (14-11) but hunt finished with more combined yards (1800 vs 1500). Should be interesting to see who wins awards, but both are worthy candidates.

It took a monster deal to pry Gruden from his cush job at MNF, where he makes 7M a year to announce one game a week.
People talk about gruden as if he's the qb guru who can make chicken salad from chicken shit, but it seems like during his years at tampa his qbs were nothing special. He won a superbowl because of his defense, not because of brad johnson.
But yknow, good for him. It'll be interesting to see if he can be an elite coach again. Still, if he's making 10M a year, belichick should make 15M a year.

Latest posts

Latest posts