What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2017

shithawk420

Veteran
Was really hoping the Browns were gonna beat greenbay.damn near did too.Bears really took it to the Bengals.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
A nice benefit of living on the west coast of the usa is that the pregame shows start at 9am. It gives me a good excuse to drink beer in the morning.:dance013: And smoke some Chem Dawg

I used to think being in PST would suck cause games start at 10am local time (except for local games) but then again tailgaters start drinking and eating in the morning, so no shame in cracking the first beer of the day before noon...

I would just like everyone to see what kind of a man stewart169 is. I called him a sissy and THIS is what he posted in my rep section.

So if anybody thinks I'm being too rough on the little piece of shit that goes by the name stewart169, I have a good reason.
View Image

Eh, it's the internet. Be glad he didnt have your personal info and called a swat team to your house.

i like the vikings going into the last few weeks of the season, how wild would it be if they could make it to the super bowl and play in front of a home crowd?
/how often does that happen in the nfl?

enjoy the games!

It has never happened that a team got to play in their stadium for the superbowl. Minnesota would be the first. Maybe they have a pretty good chance now that it appears the eagles have lost carson wentz for the season (acl injury). Poor eagles fans, everything was going great and then boom, this happens. On the bright side, players tend to recover fully from acl tears, and nick foles is one of the better backups in the league.

Roethlisberger had a 500 yd game leading a come back win against the ravens. He's been playing very well after not looking that good the first month or so of the season. I guess every offseason he considers retirement, but if he's playing well and is healthy, there's no reason to not come back. Unless he wins a 3rd ring, in which case maybe he pulls an elway and retires a champion.
Anyway, assuming the patriots beat miami tonite, it'll be pats at steelers next week for home field advantage during the conference playoffs. Should be huge, considering ben usually plays much better at home than on the road.

Bears won their 4th game of the season, so they're officially better than last year's 3 wins. Enough for Fox to keep his job? Trubisky played well, actually put up decent numbers. If they keep winning and trubisky keeps it up, maybe fox comes back because he shows he can develop a young franchise qb.
Also, for some reason 3 of the bears 4 wins have come against the afc north, two of them playoff teams: steelers, ravens, bengals. Doesnt make much sense, but that's football.

EvergreenState

Another crazy weekend in the nfl where you're never really sure who is good and who isn't. I'll still stick with the Vikings. They had played the Redskins, Rams( beat them pretty easily 24-9), Lions (always a tough division game) and the Falcons on the road in a tough game. Then they had to travel again this week to Carolina.
So I think they were a little beat up and still almost won. Carolina goes how Cam goes. If he plays like superman they win, if not, they stink. Since my Seahawks are a cluster fuck this year, I'm going with the Vikings.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I don't think fox is coming back

I think you're right, he's made too many coaching mistakes this year to realistically be given another chance. Only, who do you replace him with? Some hot shot young coordinator? Another CFL coach (a la Trestman)? What if the next guy is worse? You always hope your next coach is going to be the next Belichick, or Ditka (80's ditka), but then they turn out to be the 90's Ditka or Saints Ditka and set the team back another few years...

Russell has played like an mvp candidate for the most part, and losing to the jags isnt a knock against them, the jags are actually a pretty solid playoff team this year, especially when bortles doesnt crap the bed. Losing Kam and Sherman for the year hurts their ability to win games in the postseason though, and i guess when youve recently won a superbowl, anything less isnt considered great success...

I suppose it would be a great story for the vikes to play in the superbowl this year, not that im rooting for them. Keenum had some turnovers yesterday but was able to battle back; he seems to move well in the pocket and throws a nice accurate ball. Plus if he gets hurt or becomes terrible they have bridgewater to step in and take over. Teddy hasnt put up big numbers when he did play but that was when he was on a crappy, adrian peterson-centric offense. Now he's got a good line and good receivers and running backs who are comfortable working out of the shotgun formation.

EvergreenState

I've been a Seahawks fan for 10 years now and I watch every game. They have been consistent this year in finding multiple ways to screw up games. They've had games where they have committed 16 penalties, 12 penalties, hell they lead the league in penalties. They've screwed up on special teams on a number of occasions. The offense usually stinks for three quarters and then Russell makes a couple of miraculous plays at the end but that is not a consistent offense that will help in the playoffs; that is if they make it to the playoffs. Their defense wasn't playing all that great with their stars in there; they were showing that they were past their prime.
The Seahawks have many issues and have even had some real coaching blunders this year. So I'm not knocking them for losing to the Jags, although their behavior at the end was beyond embarassing. I'm knocking them because of their wildly inconsistent and bumbling play throughout the year. Trust me when I tell you they are not even close to the teams that went to the Superbowl a few years ago. Father time has caught up with them and they are definitely past their prime as a team.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
good to see other fans posting!
im still trying to digest all the action from this past week!
i think the biggest story from this past weekend is wentz's torn acl
the eagles were flying high and looked like the cream of the crop up until that hit during the rams game
he took some good shots buring that game, but there was something about the way he walked off the field that dident look good.
now we find out its an acl tear and his year is done
he was on course to be a serious mvp candidate
the rams looked so good and at one point i thought they were coming back
i still think the eagles can win with foles, but they are no where near the team they were w/o wentz
the chargers are still playing like one of the hottest teams in the afc, (heck all of the nfl!)
their defense is playing relentless football right now and rivers and keenan allen are dialed in
/this saturdays game against kc is huge!
//kc can loose to the chargers and win the west, but would need to win their last game and get some help from the raiders in the final week

ive really enjoyed the season so far and now things are starting to get really good!
man, i love football!
/a big hat tip to all you guys who are adding to this thread in a positive manner

EvergreenState

Everyone was talking about how great the Eagles were this year and how great Wentz was so I was looking forward to seeing them play when they played the Seahawks last week. I gotta tell ya, I wasn't impressed. I've really only been impressed by two teams this year. The Patriots and the Vikings.
I've seen the Patriots play three times this year and Tom Brady is the MVP of the league. He consistently makes throws that other quarterbacks struggle to make consistently and he makes it look easy. There has been talk about Russell Wilson being the MVP, even though I'm a big fan and would love to see him win it, Brady is better. Russell is flashy and he makes some incredible plays but his play is wildly inconsistent, even in the same game. He'll play two or three quarters a game where he looks very average or even below average. Then at the end of the game he waves his magic wand and makes incredible plays. The thing is though, if he would even be half way consistent throughout the game they wouldn't need him to pull a rabbit out of the hat in the end.
Brady is a machine moving his team up and down the field. He's been doing it for so long and he makes it look so easy, that people overlook him. Mostly they just want somebody new or somebody flashy to win. This year, like most years, if I had to pick a player to start a team with, it would be Tom Brady.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I appreciate even the negative posts, at least it spurs discussion. Maybe on the internet, theres no such things as bad publicity.

Chargers are clicking on all cylinders now, seems like they even found a kicker (Coons went 3/3 yesterday, but a long FG of only 36yds). Their defense made things miserable for the redskins offense, who had a lot of offensive line injuries. Keenan Allen is playing like a top 5 wideout again, melvin gordon is averaging less than 4ypc so not elite in that regard but he's effective grinding out yards and td's. The way they're playing they can beat anyone, only question is how long they can keep it going.

So Evergreen, you aren't one of the bandwagon fans that only came aboard during the carroll era? Which is actually almost the last ten years (7, 8?), since carroll left USC (and their sanctions) for the hawks.
The Hawks were pretty good during the Shaun Alexander and Matt hasselbeck era, with mike holmgren as coach. I remember their super bowl run in '05 (did they lose to the steelers?), and shaun being a fantasy football stud (i think a couple years he was the best rb stats wise, didnt he have a 25 TD season? Won the mvp maybe?).
I havent watched much at all of the hawks this year, just knew the o-line was terrible again the first month. Then the hawks traded for duane brown around week 8 and, even though he's had some injuries, blocking has been better since, although all the running back injuries arent helping the offense (Wilson is basically their top RB as well as the QB).
I guess it's to be expected that the legion of boom wasn't going to maintain their level of play for more than 5-6 years. Injuries, age (approaching 30), players leaving in free agency... they're still a top 10 defense, just not the #1 defense they were for 4 straight years at their height.
Do you think Petey needs to go, or just get better coordinators? I know a lot of his defensive coordinators tend to get head coaching jobs elsewhere, so maybe there was a talent drain in the coaching ranks as well.

Right now im watching cutler and the Fins leading the Patriots. If cutler beats tom brady, it wont even rank as one of the top surprises this season...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
"If cutler beats tom brady, it wont even rank as one of the top surprises this season..."
/hottest taek, but way too true, my man
this has been a great season,eh' baba!

i agree that brady is all time, evergreen
but i think a lot of his success is built on the system he is playing in under bill belichick
/ consider: if you replaced russell wilson with "old man" brady in sea would his numbers still be the same?
the thing i like about wentz is that he has a world of potential and could be one of tomorrows "star qb"
/along with prescott,goff,winston,marriota,....?

eta: i like the trash talking and jibes about team rivalries as much as the next guy, as long as its done in fun
it seems a certain poster just took things a bit too far

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That's why I have Aaron stashed on one of my fantasy teams, Herman. Hoping he comes back next week. Supposedly he's been slinging 40-60 yard passes in practice, so his arm strength seems to be ok.

Packers fans like to point out that Rodgers' career numbers overall are better than brady's, and truthfully, it makes sense that you put someone like rodgers, or peyton, or brees on the patriots, they would have won a lot of games and a few superbowls too. If Marino and Montana had traded places in the 80's, maybe it would be marino with 4 rings and montana with none. Just one of those what ifs in life...

Jay cutler shockingly outplayed tom brady last night, putting the patriots one game behind the steelers in the afc playoff standings. Cutler hasnt played that well most of the season, not entirely his fault either, coming to a new team and trying to build a rapport with his receivers, also their off line wasnt blocking well. But occasionally he'll have a good game against a good team, and he did that last night.
I'm not sure if im ready to live in a world where cutler outplays brady, but if we can deal with a reality tv star as president, I can live with this too.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
I'm not sure if im ready to live in a world where cutler outplays brady, but if we can deal with a reality tv star as president, I can live with this too.
hahah we have gone through the looking glass at that point and nothing will be as it seems, baba'
great point about numbers, but the one stat that reigns supreme over all others in the NFL is #rings
it seems marinois the only player to be able to rise above his lack of rings and is rarely questioned as being one of the goats (greatest.of.all.time...s)

EvergreenState

I appreciate even the negative posts, at least it spurs discussion. Maybe on the internet, theres no such things as bad publicity.

Chargers are clicking on all cylinders now, seems like they even found a kicker (Coons went 3/3 yesterday, but a long FG of only 36yds). Their defense made things miserable for the redskins offense, who had a lot of offensive line injuries. Keenan Allen is playing like a top 5 wideout again, melvin gordon is averaging less than 4ypc so not elite in that regard but he's effective grinding out yards and td's. The way they're playing they can beat anyone, only question is how long they can keep it going.

So Evergreen, you aren't one of the bandwagon fans that only came aboard during the carroll era? Which is actually almost the last ten years (7, 8?), since carroll left USC (and their sanctions) for the hawks.
The Hawks were pretty good during the Shaun Alexander and Matt hasselbeck era, with mike holmgren as coach. I remember their super bowl run in '05 (did they lose to the steelers?), and shaun being a fantasy football stud (i think a couple years he was the best rb stats wise, didnt he have a 25 TD season? Won the mvp maybe?).
I havent watched much at all of the hawks this year, just knew the o-line was terrible again the first month. Then the hawks traded for duane brown around week 8 and, even though he's had some injuries, blocking has been better since, although all the running back injuries arent helping the offense (Wilson is basically their top RB as well as the QB).
I guess it's to be expected that the legion of boom wasn't going to maintain their level of play for more than 5-6 years. Injuries, age (approaching 30), players leaving in free agency... they're still a top 10 defense, just not the #1 defense they were for 4 straight years at their height.
Do you think Petey needs to go, or just get better coordinators? I know a lot of his defensive coordinators tend to get head coaching jobs elsewhere, so maybe there was a talent drain in the coaching ranks as well.

Right now im watching cutler and the Fins leading the Patriots. If cutler beats tom brady, it wont even rank as one of the top surprises this season...

I moved to Washington in 2008 and adopted the Seahawks as my team because they were the local team, two years before Pete Carroll became coach. There wasn't much of a bandwagon to jump on in 2008 as the Hawks were 4-12, 5-11 in 2009 and in Pete's first year in 2010 they were 7-9 and the same in 2011.
If however I were a bandwagon jumper, that wouldn't bother me. It's fun to root for a team that wins a lot. After all football is just entertainment and the point of entertainment is to be entertained. Watching a team win a lot is pretty damn entertaining. Drinking beers, cheering your team to victory, celebrating the victory, it's a good time. The whole point is to have fun so, whatever floats your boat.
I don't believe Pete has to go. I like Pete a lot and I like the way he treats his players. They seem to love him and I believe he loves them. I do however believe he and his general manager need to learn from their success.
When you constantly say that your philosophy is that you are a power run team first and foremost, then maybe you should remember that you had the highest paid offensive line in the league when you won the Super Bowl. You have had the lowest paid offensive line the league for the last few years and you've struggled mightily. Last time I checked you need a good line to be a power run team.
The past couple of years I've been more a fan of some of the Seahawks players and not the play of the team. They've become a frustrating and aggravating team to watch. It's hard to be a fan of a team that's not fun to watch.
This year I enjoy watching the Vikings play and I believe they are the best team in the NFC, that doesn't mean I'm no longer a fan of the Seahawks. I'm still a fan of some of the Seahawks players this year but when I watch a team and like the way they play, like I do with the Vikings, I become a fan. I'm a fan of the Seahawks, Eagles, Vikings, Chargers, the Redskins and the Steelers. If I'm watching a game, regardless of if I'm a fan of either team and the players are making great plays, I'm a fan. It's just a game, have fun.

EvergreenState

"If cutler beats tom brady, it wont even rank as one of the top surprises this season..."
/hottest taek, but way too true, my man
this has been a great season,eh' baba!

i agree that brady is all time, evergreen
but i think a lot of his success is built on the system he is playing in under bill belichick
/ consider: if you replaced russell wilson with "old man" brady in sea would his numbers still be the same?
the thing i like about wentz is that he has a world of potential and could be one of tomorrows "star qb"
/along with prescott,goff,winston,marriota,....?

eta: i like the trash talking and jibes about team rivalries as much as the next guy, as long as its done in fun
it seems a certain poster just took things a bit too far

Brady consistently makes throws and makes them look easy, throws that I see most other quarterbacks struggle to make on a consistent basis and he's done it in the most pressure packed situations in the sport many times. He's also a ferocious competitor. He's done it over and over again. Do I think you could plug in any other quarterback on the Patriots and they'd have the same success he has had over the years? Nope!
I would take him over Russell any day of the week on the Seahawks. He makes quick decisions and he gets rid of the ball very quickly. I've watched every game Russell has played and he has a hard time making a decision on many pass plays. Analysis of his games have shown that many times receivers are open but he can't make up his mind. He holds the ball and then starts running around looking and looking and looking.
He always makes 3 or 4 great plays a game but they frequently come when he hasn't performed very well most of the game and they are desperate. He always wears out his defense because of his failure to sustain drives. He is Mr. 3 and out.
He is a great guy, I love him to death and he can make remarkable plays. He just can't consistently make enough regular plays to keep his team balanced, sustain drives and help keep his defense off the field.
He also frequently drops back so far that his line can't block for him properly. Many of the offensive lines' problems are directly related to the fact that he needs to drop back really far in order to see the field because he is so short. When you are 5'11" and all of your linemen are 6'5", standing straight up and backing up toward you for pass blocking, you have to back up really far in order to see over them and see the field. Linemen are not taught to block for a quarterback who sometimes drops back 13 yards.
All that being said, I think Russell is a top five quarterback in the league, he is the #1 most exciting player to watch, an excellent leader and the most fun player to watch in the league. If you are a fan of his team, you can bear all of the not so good stuff about his game and you can get to the point in the game where he puts on his Magician costume and pulls a rabbit out of his hat, then you're in for a good time.
The problem is that it's usually his inability to make enough regular plays during the game that gets the team to the point where he has try some magic in order to try and steal a win. With Brady it's usually like watching a well oiled machine. He is so predictably good and he makes it look so easy that people don't appreciate how hard it is to be that good almost all the time. He makes it look too easy and it's not flashy.

MrBungle

I dunno man..... Brady is the real deal.... the rest of the team is revolving around him, there's a few pieces that are important, but pretty much anyone can be replaced at any time..

its Brady and Belichick.... they just don't stop..

I made the playoffs in fantasy.... was sitting pretty with Wentz as my starter and McCown as my back up..... UGH!!!! so luckily my league is slow I picked up Jameis Winston and Joe Flacco for replacements...

Jameis is pretty steady with fantasy points, but Flacco faces the clowns this week.... I have some decisions to make

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Heh, i was trolling you just a little bit about being a bandwagon fan. I think that was a common criticism of Hawks fans when the team got really good. Which, to be fair, every team in any sport attracts more fans and attention when they become good, and less when they suck.
I never considered that wilson could be part of the pass protection issues, then again i dont watch much of them but what you say makes sense. I always figured a shorter qb could find passing lanes between the lineman to make those short quick throws. You watch highlights and you see him dance and spin around, making guys miss so he can launch a pass, you never consider that maybe if he had seen an open receiver earlier he wouldnt have to do his fran tarkenton routine.
Still, he'll probably wind up top 3 in MVP voting. And maybe they're not quite the superbowl favorites that they were even a couple of years ago, but it's hard for me to sympathize with a team that consistently makes the playoffs. Bears havent won a playoff game in 10 years and havent been to the playoffs in 6 years (going on 7). But obviously there are different expectations between good teams and bad teams.

Some people commented on the snow game between the colts and the bills: i watched that game and thought that playing in conditions like that might actually be safer for the players, because when they fall they tend to slide rather than bounce off the ground. And it's harder for guys to push off the ground and lay a big hit on someone with the lack of traction. Plus it looked like a lot of fun, running around and slipping and sliding...

I think Brady is dealing with an achilles injury. Fantasy wise, he's had poor stats the last couple of games. Against miami a lot of his throws seemed off and velocity was not quite there; he might be struggling to get push from his legs and body into his throws.
I think Peyton hit a wall when he had a quad injury his last year. Hopefully brady's injury isnt as serious, cause garappolo is no longer in the house.
Speaking of which, the niners have won 3 of their last 4, and 2 straight with jimmy starting. Maybe some niners fans will post on here again now that they seem to be turning things around...

I'm not sure who's available on your waiver, Bungles, but may i suggest blake bortles? He's a better fantasy qb than a real life qb, and he has a couple of easy (on paper) matchups against the texans and niners the next two weeks.

We have nfl 4 days this next week: thursday between the broncos (future home of andrew luck) and the colts (former home of luck). Haha, just kidding colts fans.
Saturday bears vs lions and chargers vs chiefs. I have the chargers defense in one of my leagues, theyve been on fire lately, not sure about starting them vs the chiefs. Chiefs offense either plays great or sucks, but it's a divisional game so you figure it'll be competitive.
Then sunday and monday games. Maybe that's another reason nfl ratings are down, used to be special when it was just 2 days a week, not it's 3 or 4 days a week. Just too much.

Latest posts

Latest posts