What's new

New to Organic Soil, using Super Soil. Why don't u come by and give some input.

A couple of other questions for you!!!!

Are you familiar with WormPower castings by any chance? They're based in Upstate New York.

And just because I'm an asshole - what price are you paying for Roots Organic out of Eugene, Oregon?

Just curious as usual.

CC
Lmfao. U truly are an asshole. But I'd rather be an asshole, then the dumbass I was by paying wat I paid for RO. $24 For a
1.5 cu ft bag. But u ready for this? 1cu ft of Light Warrior for $20. I wanna learn the cheaper way.

Dont understand how ppl say they spent $150 on this mix. i spent $150 just on RO. ive spent close to $300. I didnt want to spend that muxh on hydro nutes. so i hope orhanics really taste better.

No CC I am not familiar with that worm casting co. I kno if I really look I can find local worm casting also. But that would take driving around to several nurseries. I will check out this link u sent.

The more air in the mix the better. It wouldn't be a problem if you left it in a garbage can for a month. (add a little water) However, I think your bio life would be even better if stirred once or twice a week.

Well being that temps are still dropping into the 30s at night here. I can store in my spare bedroom. But I can take it to the tumbler twice a week, and give her. A spin. And the tumbler is too big to have in BR. already tried convincing the wife. LOL

24$ is high man.

No $$$$$$$hit! Gotta learn how to make my own RO quality SOIL. WHEN SHE SAID $100 for 3 bags of RO and 5 lbs bags of Soft Rock Phosphate, Alfalfa Meal, and Algamin Kelp Meal, I almost said "forget this". LOL

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Do you live in a remote area or something? My store gives my way better prices. I have been going for 10+ years but still. I pay less than half that.

CC I meant to ask u. This Soft Rock Phosphate is like gravel. Wat i saw online looked like dust. Am I suppose to leave it like gravel, or pulverize it?

Do you live in a remote area or something? My storie gives my way better prices. I have been going for 10+ years but still. I pay less than half that.
BF I myself live on the "country" side(outside city limits) but I live 15 minutes from the capital of my state. And the hydroponic store that carries RO is a chain, cause there is 5 of them in my state. Just greedy bastards. They're stupid expensive. There are place I can order from that are dirt cheap. but shipping costs a lot.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No $$$$$$$hit! Gotta learn how to make my own RO quality SOIL. WHEN SHE SAID $100 for 3 bags of RO and 5 lbs bags of Soft Rock Phosphate, Alfalfa Meal, and Algamin Kelp Meal, I almost said "forget this". LOL

fuck i would have....

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Just to make sure that my numbers are accurate I called my little buddy at "We-B-Growin-Dope Indoor Garden Center' up in Gladstone, Oregon.

Current price on Roots Organic (before the 'discount') is $10.95 per 1 c.f. - just to give you a point of reference on where this product lies in the whole scheme of things here in Orygun.

Then again you have to consider that we're just a bunch of hicks out here - not too bright and all.

Then again, besides the premier soil mixes like FFOF and such we only have 20 different 'boutique' potting soils available so marching, like androids, to our indoor garden centers is a way of life for many.

Not me - but many others!!!!!

Touching isn't it?

CC

Do you live in a remote area or something? My store gives my way better prices. I have been going for 10+ years but still. I pay less than half that.

If I would have driven an extra 30 minutes, i would have saved $10 on every bag. That would have been $60 cheaper.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
CC I meant to ask u. This Soft Rock Phosphate is like gravel. Wat i saw online looked like dust. Am I suppose to leave it like gravel, or pulverize it?
Heh.........

Rather than give you a 'real answer' (which would involve explaining the differences between 'prilled' vs. 'pellitized' soil amendments) the Reader's Digest answer is that, 'No - you can keep your coffee-bean grinder for its intended purpose - making a killer cup of coffee in the morning.

It's a Pacific Northwest deal - making good coffee. This ain't f*cking Omaha damn it!

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I was by paying wat I paid for RO. $24 For a 1.5 cu ft bag.

But u ready for this? 1cu ft of Light Warrior for $20. I wanna learn the cheaper way.

Actually, if one wanted this specific soil and they lived on the East Coast, given the current 'per mile' charged for moving a commodity from the West Coast to the East Coast, you weren't screwed over in the whole scheme of things.

Consider that a full load moving from Oregon to New York, for example, and a product could move on a dry van vs. a temperature-controlled van (i.e. reefer) will run about $5,500.00 - $6,000.00

That of course before you factor in the obligatory and general surcharge for fuel, loading delay charges, delivery accessory charges (LMAO), et al. - yeah you did okay in the whole scheme of things.

RE: Light Warrior

Ya know - there's a lot of silly products and if there was a single one that could be held up as the epitome of silliness it would have to be this one.

Light Warrior is nothing more than perlite, some peat moss and a 'touch' of mycorrhizal fungi from Mycorrhizal Applications in Grants Pass, Oregon. About $300.00 for their 'master pack' which is 22 kg./44.1 lbs. and the amount that United Compost & Organics (Fox Farms, et al.) actually adds to this product is up for discussion.

I'm guessing that it's less than .5 oz to each bag. You can figure out the cost per bag.

So go and buy some perlite and mix it 50:50 with peat moss, buy a an 'elbow' of mycorrhizal fungi ($10.00 per lb.) and there you go - Enlightened Light Warrior - LOL

Peace

CC

M

Mountain

Consider that a full load moving from Oregon to New York, for example, and a product could move on a dry van vs. a temperature-controlled van (i.e. reefer) will run about $5,500.00 - $6,000.00

That of course before you factor in the obligatory and general surcharge for fuel, loading delay charges, delivery accessory charges (LMAO), et al. - yeah you did okay in the whole scheme of things.
That price probably ain't too far off.

Honestly I'm a bit befuddled you guys back east are willing to pay such money for a bag of...basic and nothing special ingredients...'soil' from the west coast cause it has the Fox Farm or Roots Organics label on it? Out west a bit of a convenience thing for many but still...

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Not trying to make excuses but my numbers did not factor in the recent price increases for fuel with the situation in Libya and the Middle East in general.

You could and probably should add 8 - 10% to my numbers and it would be more accurate.

CC

OK CC.... It's that time, Bo!!!!!! Got my Humic Acid and meez Bat Poop today! About to make my mix........ Need a little help if u can... Let me list the Recipe again so u don't have to go searchin for it. I'm doing 1/2 the batch. So here it is

4 Bags of Roots Organic
15 lbs of organic worm castings(figured I'd save the other 5 lbs for Tea. Is that fine?)
2.5 lbs steamed bone meal
2.5 lbs Bloom bat guano
2.5 lbs blood meal
1.5 lbs rock phosphate
0.375 cup Epsom salts
1/4 cup sweet lime (dolomite)
1/4 cup azomite (trace elements)
1 tbsp powdered humic acid

I'm adding
? Kelp Meal
? Alfalfa Meal

How Much of the Kelp, and Alfalfa do I need to add to the mix?

Also someone said to add more Humic Acid, and more Dolomite. How much more should I add. Would like to get the mix going 2night.

mad librettist

Veteran
I would also make the observation and this is not directed towards SubCool or any other seller of seeds, but simply being involved in crossing genetics of any plant does not make one a soil biologist.

wow I see this little nugget of truth demonstrated all the time. in other fields, similar things happen. associative authority. yeah, that's the ticket.

CC is an asshole, yes, but everybody needs an asshole.

Anyone ever use Feather Meal instead of Blood Meal? It has the same 13-0-0 ratio. I have read somewhere that Feather Meal takes longer to decompose. Is that true? If so, that would explain why I can't really find much on it, and cannabis.

I make heavy use of Espoma's product "biotone plus", which is chock full of hydrolysed feather meal. It's got dried manure too, which is my guano. It's got cocoa meal for trace goodies, greensand for long term K, kelp meal, and I forget what else. For the small scale grower it's much easier than actually thinking about things. My worms dig it too. I also use it in my teas, as a substitute for straight kelp meal. It's also a great top dressing, which i apply by mixing it with fresh and not necessarily finished EWC.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
guess i'm late to the party... :party:

i never thought of CC as being an asshole... there's nothin wrong with being right all of the time lol :D

311 - great discussion you started here. that's a lot of $$ you spent i hope your nugs live up to your expectations! you've definitely got some serious hydro chops judgin from those pictures.

wow I see this little nugget of truth demonstrated all the time. in other fields, similar things happen. associative authority. yeah, that's the ticket.

CC is an asshole, yes, but everybody needs an asshole.

I make heavy use of Espoma's product "biotone plus", which is chock full of hydrolysed feather meal. It's got dried manure too, which is my guano. It's got cocoa meal for trace goodies, greensand for long term K, kelp meal, and I forget what else. For the small scale grower it's much easier than actually thinking about things. My worms dig it too. I also use it in my teas, as a substitute for straight kelp meal. It's also a great top dressing, which i apply by mixing it with fresh and not necessarily finished EWC.

Thanks for droppin by and giving some input. I enjoy ppl being so helpful! Can't wait to get some soil experience under my belt, so I can do the same!

guess i'm late to the party... :party:

i never thought of CC as being an asshole... there's nothin wrong with being right all of the time lol :D

311 - great discussion you started here. that's a lot of $$ you spent i hope your nugs live up to your expectations! you've definitely got some serious hydro chops judgin from those pictures.

I know.... CC is a smart asshole! my asshole, on the other hand, is not so bright. It just says Pffffffffffffff, all the time! LMAO! Im glad CC came in and helped me! And my wife laffs at his jokes!

Thanks for the compliments on the Hydro. The pics dont look that great, cause it was a phone camera. I'll take some pics on a real cam in a few days.

So this was the final mix. I kinda messed up with the Alfalfa Meal. I hope someone can chime in and let me know it'll be alright. pretty much wat I red, a lot of people talked about doing 2 tbsp per gallon. being that it was 40 gallons, that was 80 tbs, which equals 5 cups. Instead I weighed the Alfalfa Meal like everything else(2 1/2 lbs). Which is about 7 cups, instead of the 5 I calculated to use. WILL IT BE ALRIGHT????? Also, the recipe called for 2 tbsp of Humic Acid. I added 1/4 cup, plus 10 lbs of Forest Humus, WHICH I MIGHT ADD HAD WORMS IN IT?!?!?!?Here is the final recipe.

4 Bags of Roots Organic
15 lbs of organic worm castings(figured I'd save the other 5 lbs for Tea. Is that fine?)
2.5 lbs Steamed Bone Meal
2.5 lbs Bloom Bat Guano
2.5 lbs Blood Meal
7 cups Alfalfa Meal
5 cups Kelp Meal
1.5 lbs Rock Phosphate
0.375 cup Epsom salts
1/2 cup sweet lime (dolomite)
1/4 cup azomite (trace elements)
1/4 cup powdered humic acid

And tumbled it for about 30 minutes, taking breaks about every 7-8 minutes. Then added 2 gallons of water to the 34 gallon bin, and the 18 gallon bin got 1 gallon of water.

Does everything sound alright so far?

Latest posts

Latest posts