What's new

New study about polyploid

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Yes it can be found. But maybe a zillion have to be made and screened for this, to find one.
The real problem for herb to smoke is not that it makes just a few seeds rather then no seed, but the nub white seeds that are made ruin the herb for smoking, unless you just want the resin, that is fine for water hash or dry sift, I am not sure if you use herb with a few seeds or a bunch of small white nubs is good for solvent extractions? Maybe the oils from the seeds/nubs are also extracted with the Cannabinoids/terpenes? I do not know.
-SamS

The Ogkb girl scout cookie genetics seems to possess some of the qualities you are looking for.
Heavy resin production and potency and mostly sterile.
breeders are having trouble pollinating it. it produces a few selfed seeds but not many.
One of the bag seeds I popped from it gave me a plant that looks and behaves like the mom and doesn't seem to want to set seeds even when she spends many weeks under a flowering male.

picture.php

Stink Panties, an OGKB S1
picture.php

picture.php

I've only found about 20 seeds in her and none of them past the white stage.
she doesn't fill up with the white nubs though…

lots of complaints from breeders on IG about difficulties pollinating the OGKB cookies.

picture.php

picture.php

BuddhaSeeds

We have a theory about sterility, but for the moment is just a feeling.

the triploid plants somehow manage to make haploid gametes sometimes, trying to divide the 3n cells sometimes makes viable gametes 1n.

Maybe when the ploidy is higher dividing a 5n or 7n cell the probability of achieving a 1n gamete is reduced, so higher ploidy could be 100% sterile.

For the moment we are germinating some plantes where we expect to find tetraploids, and in the next weeks we will look for octoploids.

Also maybe we find some different characteristics in this high ploidy ones

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Well if you found seeds or white nubs I doubt she is really sterile, she may be as close as found yet. I suggest you try her in a hemp field with lots of flowering males, still no seeds? You need to try pollinating very very early, that may work? Like I said I believe this is possible it just has to be found a kept as a clone. It would have value for growers that have lots of males in their area, like in Morocco.....
-SamS

The Ogkb girl scout cookie genetics seems to possess some of the qualities you are looking for.
Heavy resin production and potency and mostly sterile.
breeders are having trouble pollinating it. it produces a few selfed seeds but not many.
One of the bag seeds I popped from it gave me a plant that looks and behaves like the mom and doesn't seem to want to set seeds even when she spends many weeks under a flowering male.

View Image

Stink Panties, an OGKB S1
View Image

View Image

I've only found about 20 seeds in her and none of them past the white stage.
she doesn't fill up with the white nubs though…

lots of complaints from breeders on IG about difficulties pollinating the OGKB cookies.

View Image

View Image

BuddhaSeeds

Not updating as we are focused now in making lines of diploid triploid and tetraploid from same varieties in order to be able to compare.

we are also trying to obtain higher ploidy individuals.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I never tested anything besides maybe 25+ Triploids we made and the Tetraploids they were made from, I could not find a real sterile one, as that was my goal. I did find tri's with maybe only 5% of normal seed set, but also with lots of white nubs.
I bet it can be done, you just need the right clone at the right ploidity to have it work. It may be 1 out of 1,000 or 1 out of a million, but I bet they can be made and found.
Good luck,
And name the first after me?
-SamS

relic1981

Veteran
Never tried....

-SamS

why not sam? is it the sterility or the lack of seed production not worth the time for you? you seem like a really knowledgeable breeder and you have been at it for a while now.. why wouldn't u have a look into polyploids if the 4th n, 6th n, and 8th n poly ploids make stronger more vigorous plants?

Last edited:

BuddhaSeeds

Here some outdoor triploid Skunk x (Somango x X18)

The conditions are not the best, but seems we can apreciate bigger leaves, long stems, and little buds :(.
we cannot know yet if those characters are due to higher plody or the strain.

Soon i will have a new triploid batch from varieties i know better, and i also keep the diploid motherline to compare.

http://imgur.com/a/AkQrS

Last edited:

Herbron

citation from pubmed

citation from pubmed

Apparently the Iranians have studied the viability of triploids in weed.

Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2015 Mar;175(5):2366-75. doi: 10.1007/s12010-014-1435-8. Epub 2014 Dec 10.
Effect of induced polyploidy on some biochemical parameters in Cannabis sativa L.
Bagheri M1, Mansouri H.
Author information
Abstract
This study is aimed at testing the efficiency of colchicine on inducing polyploidy in Cannabis sativa L. and investigation of effects of polyploidy induction on some primary and secondary metabolites. Shoot tips were treated with three different concentrations of colchicine (0, 0.1, 0.2 % w/v) for 24 or 48 h. The biggest proportion of the almost coplanar tetraploids (43.33 %) and mixoploids (13.33 %) was obtained from the 24-h treatment in 0.2 and 0.1 % w/v, respectively. Colchicine with 0.2 % concentration and 48 h duration was more destructive than 24 h. The ploidy levels were screened with flow cytometry. The biochemical analyses showed that reducing sugars, soluble sugars, total protein, and total flavonoids increased significantly in mixoploid plants compared with tetraploid and diploid plants. Tetraploid plants had a higher amount of total proteins, total flavonoids, and starch in comparison with control plants. The results showed that polyploidization could increase the contents of tetrahydrocannabinol in mixoploid plants only, but tetraploid plants had lower amounts of this substance in comparison with diploids. Also, we found such changes in protein concentration in electrophoresis analysis. In overall, our study suggests that tetraploidization could not be useful to produce tetrahydrocannabinol for commercial use, and in this case, mixoploids are more suitable.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25492688

Herbron

Correction: Apparently the Iranians have studied the viability of tetraploids in weed.

Apparently the Iranians have studied the viability of triploids in weed.

Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2015 Mar;175(5):2366-75. doi: 10.1007/s12010-014-1435-8. Epub 2014 Dec 10.
Effect of induced polyploidy on some biochemical parameters in Cannabis sativa L.
Bagheri M1, Mansouri H.
Author information
Abstract
This study is aimed at testing the efficiency of colchicine on inducing polyploidy in Cannabis sativa L. and investigation of effects of polyploidy induction on some primary and secondary metabolites. Shoot tips were treated with three different concentrations of colchicine (0, 0.1, 0.2 % w/v) for 24 or 48 h. The biggest proportion of the almost coplanar tetraploids (43.33 %) and mixoploids (13.33 %) was obtained from the 24-h treatment in 0.2 and 0.1 % w/v, respectively. Colchicine with 0.2 % concentration and 48 h duration was more destructive than 24 h. The ploidy levels were screened with flow cytometry. The biochemical analyses showed that reducing sugars, soluble sugars, total protein, and total flavonoids increased significantly in mixoploid plants compared with tetraploid and diploid plants. Tetraploid plants had a higher amount of total proteins, total flavonoids, and starch in comparison with control plants. The results showed that polyploidization could increase the contents of tetrahydrocannabinol in mixoploid plants only, but tetraploid plants had lower amounts of this substance in comparison with diploids. Also, we found such changes in protein concentration in electrophoresis analysis. In overall, our study suggests that tetraploidization could not be useful to produce tetrahydrocannabinol for commercial use, and in this case, mixoploids are more suitable.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25492688

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The more useful breeding tool would be a double haploid. If you combine you colchine treatment with haploid induction protocols you can develop a pure homozygous line in 1 step.

Why more people are no doing this i do not know.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello to everyone. There are some users that ask us about in vitro cultivation. This subject of study is different from the post open, principally, but we can speak and show you something. There are several projects that we are developing in vitro cultivation, many studies we can´t put them because they are under development but we can expand a little the information related to micropropagation. This is the form how we have to work with mothers or genetic elite that we have currently.

Having a seed bank means that it should have a great selection of varieties and genetics to realize a constant production of seeds. In addition, new individuals of interest are being incorporated to create new and interesting varieties. This means that it requires us to have a specific site in phase of growth for all of these plants. Maintenance, care, transplants and a long etc.; all without mentioning the constant exposure to pests or failures that may lead to the loss of some important genetics.

The best way to save costs, reduce maintenance and to avoid the presence of pests is by micropropagation cultivation in vitro. This requires establishing culture media with proper rooting hormone and the right dose for each variety and once it ready this research you can begin to introduce plants.

The form is relatively simple if you have the appropriate means. After sterilizing the vegetables parts we proceed to its introduction. For this, there is to work in sterile conditions and the best way to achieve this is through a flow camera laminar.
We preserver between 7-10 boats for each variety; this form, when a particular gene is necessary we can take 4-5 boats and acclimate to return to being on substratum. The rest remain as they are bigger return to the flow chamber where they are output will be cut in several parts and reintroduced into pots with fresh medium.

It's similar to do normal cuttings but with a special culture medium and sterile conditions so they can´t affect the external conditions. It´s undoubtedly the best preservation method for minimum maintenance required, the little light that is needed and the little space that occupies.

You can to see some photos how we work this method in Buddha Seeds.

View Image

View Image

View Image

Other things you can to do with the cultivation in vitro. As to induce roots in the leaves.

View Image

View Image

You are all set up to make double haploids. Have you made any??
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
Any info if the myth is true about polyploids plants and potency?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
No man, none of the myths are true. Just the same old shit, pseudoscience being spouted by sophists in the hope of making money off the gullible.

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
Hmm, I just read that Iranian study. According to their research they see an increase in THC in mixoploid plants and not in tetraploid plants. The level of THC was even decreased in tetraploids.

Now why is there an increase in mixoploids and not in tetra or triploids?

The amount of THC increased only in mixoploid vegetative plants (Table 5). CBD content
increased in mixoploid and tetraploid leaves in vegetative stage plants. The most increase was
observed in mixoploid plants (Table 5). THC content showed a significant decrease in the male
and female flowers of tetraploid plants in productive stage (Table 5). The leaves of male
tetraploid plants had lower content of THC, but the ones of female plants showed no difference
(Table 5). CBD levels in the male and female flowers of tetraploid plants did not show
significant differences compared with diploid plants (Table 5). In reproductive leaves of female
tetraploid plants, CBD content significantly increased compared with the reproductive leaves
of diploid plants. CBD was similar in the leaves of male tetraploid and diploid plants (Table 5).
The results of a qualitative study of proteins in leaves and roots of tetraploid, diploid, and
mixoploid plants suggest that a new band with a molecular weight of 68 kDa is added in the
leaves and roots of a tetraploid plant sample. Rubisco (ribulose-1, 5-biphosphate carboxylase/
oxygenase) is a major soluble protein in leaves. The large subunit of the native enzyme with a
molecular weight of 55 kDa [20] was the major component of the leaf proteins and was present
with quantitative variation in all samples. However, a band with a molecular weight of
175 kDa was highlighted in polyploid leaf and tetraploid root samples compared to the diploid
ones (Fig. 2).

You can find the full research paper here: https://ufile.io/ma23q

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Compare any 3, 4 or 5 "groups" of plants and you'll see diffs in averages. Then compare the quality of facts coming from the source, in that study's case, Iran.
Genes are just instruction sets to produce proteins. The more proteins produced, the bigger the resulting plant, but its still the same plant. If it wasn't the case, it wouldn't be allowed in the practice's of food production for humans.

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
Compare any 3, 4 or 5 "groups" of plants and you'll see diffs in averages. Then compare the quality of facts coming from the source, in that study's case, Iran.
Genes are just instruction sets to produce proteins. The more proteins produced, the bigger the resulting plant, but its still the same plant. If it wasn't the case, it wouldn't be allowed in the practice's of food production for humans.

Sounds logical.

I have sent BuddaSeeds a PM to ask if they would share some of their research data.
Maybe they can shed some light and can bust or confirm this myth.

kaochiu

Veteran
There're these three plants out of seeds, two normal and one with three leaves. First two are ok, then the three leafed is almost double size. Born the same day, three weeks ago.
I'm too thick to make any sense of mixploids and poliploids or whatever. I've got this plant with three cotyledons, then in the seventh floor still pulls three leaves, and it looks quite uniform.
It is a bx3, but now i've run out of the original male pollen.
Now... one question is whether that produce more, and if so, equal quality or diluted.
If a male, will the pollen be worth a try onwards another bx...or whatever comes now, towards a three leafed regular pheno?
If a female, what can i expect from adding new bx3 pollen (towards a 3leafed blablah)?
She's a bitch to clon and i don't want to cut the tip, just to see the whole potential, will give it a couple weeks more vegging if needed before i pass it to 12/12, will clon it just before that.
Further info: i'm following tangerine. All (10 tested) females showed it in bx2, as does these last three.

Latest posts

Latest posts