What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Growth Yellows in my Hydro Hut?

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Ya, but did ya specificly use iron and mangneisum? Using that would not have worked unless there was those 2 micronutrients in there......

I remember helping you out, but Iron can cause the plant to collapse and die in severe cases.......

RO water contains hardly nothing, thats why I tel peeps not to use RO water unless growing ina hydro unless they got all micronutrients.......... cause iron is also removed from the water.......

I have heard so much problems from them... are you talking about these?

http://www.hydrohuts.com/

Last edited:

justagrower

MynameStitch said:
The thread starters issue was sulfur, notice how the yellowing started from the petioles and outwards to the leaves tips...... sulfur always starts on the newest leaves and starts from petioles outwards.

did you ever actually see the og faq on Bad Room Syndrome or done any research on the subject ?

with respect MnS , untill you have experienced the problem first hand please do not tell people there problems are nutrient related , when they are , to somebody who has actually experienced them , obviously caused by a bad envoirnment .

justagrower

SkillsBot2935 said:

BudZad7 said:
Hi All ! Nice Info !!! I have the same problem....any plant put into the hut turns yellow in 1 week.....just outside the hut same batch of plants same soil, and they are fine, then move them into hut and BAMM yellow in a week..
my mother OG Kush were dark green last week and put them in hut just to see if they turn yellow BAMM they are yellow also..... 1 week later....the intake air is
coming in from the attic between 70~80, and there's no exhaust fan in the ceiling exhaust hole...inside the hut is a 12" fan on high setting circulating air in hut, and front door is open, lights are 7- 4 foot flouros 2 tubes each of the best
plant tubes IMO "OTTLITE" $10 each 48" T-12 40 watt.....these grow a plant in veg better than a 1000 MH does...and with no s t r e a c h between the nodes
everthing put into the hut has died>>>>>So, I assume it's the VENTALATION...

Have 2 4x8 huts brand new in boxes..maybe should sell them at a discount...
any takers!!!???? Peace!!!!

both these quotes from this thread show the same symptoms on plants placed inside a hydrohut , coincidence ?? i don t think so. both growers are sure it s the hydrohut as they have plants in the same medium outside the hut growing healthly . why would anybody ignore this and say it must be a def or lock-out and not look at the new envoirnment first .

read up on off gassing please ! google it , and check out Bad Room Syndrome as well. sounds a bit sci-fi , but i m sure it will help understand what is affecting your plants .

Hydrohut have obviously made a bad boo boo using the wrong type off vinyl coating in some of their huts . i d personally be demanding my hard earned back from the suppliers .

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
justagrower said:
did you ever actually see the og faq on Bad Room Syndrome or done any research on the subject ?

with respect MnS , untill you have experienced the problem first hand please do not tell people there problems are nutrient related , when they are , to somebody who has actually experienced them , obviously caused by a bad envoirnment .

I have been doing this for a long long time now; so when I see an issue it's not too often I do not know what is going on; I am still learning yes, but I know the plant quite well so when I look at the plant as long as there is no ph lockout and no nturient burn..... I know an issue when I see one, I also said I did not know what caused his issue either, I never said I knew the cause... all I said was that was the problem it was quite obvious anyways. Micronutrients that are more rare always start on newer growths anyways, like sulfur and zinc.....

Besides I never comment on something unless I at least know something or can point the person in the right direction.

both these quotes from this thread show the same symptoms on plants placed inside a hydrohut , coincidence ?? i don t think so. both growers are sure it s the hydrohut as they have plants in the same medium outside the hut growing healthly . why would anybody ignore this and say it must be a def or lock-out and not look at the new envoirnment first .

read up on off gassing please ! google it , and check out Bad Room Syndrome as well. sounds a bit sci-fi , but i m sure it will help understand what is affecting your plants .

Hydrohut have obviously made a bad boo boo using the wrong type off vinyl coating in some of their huts . i d personally be demanding my hard earned back from the suppliers .

BUT, I will say you do counter-dict yourself, first you say
both these quotes from this thread show the same symptoms on plants placed inside a hydrohut , coincidence ??

Then you say......
Hydrohut have obviously made a bad boo boo using the wrong type off vinyl coating in some of their huts . i d personally be demanding my hard earned back from the suppliers

Which is it? Hydrohut was the cause now? After you said both growers was not connected to hydro hut being the culprit?

I have seen people complain and have issues using that hydro hut many times, so again like I said I DO refrain from posting when I do not know something.

Last edited:

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I tried to investigate more about the material used in grow tents. I've yet to find anywhere that actually mentions what material they are specifically made of, despite checking the websites of all the major brands.

What do we think its made out of? PVC/Vinyl? Here's some info I found about pvc/vinyl.

"Myth 1:

Vinyl Flooring Emits Toxic Fumes and Poses a Health/Safety Risk

We've all heard the tale that vinyl poses some kind of health or
safety risk simply because it's synthetic. The truth is, according to a
1999 study completed by the U.S. Department of Commerce's National
Institute of Standards and Technology, the manufacture, installation,
transportation and even the daily use of vinyl flooring emits less toxic
chemicals than most other floors - including linoleum -- vastly
outperforming them in virtually all measures of indoor air quality
(IAQ).

Furthermore, because of the materials used in its manufacture, vinyl
was found to have added safety and health benefits
in addition to its
superior impact on IAQ. For example, vinyl is more resistant to moisture
than virtually all other floors. As a result, vinyl flooring is more
sterile and allergen-resistant
. Plus, sheet vinyl's facility for heat or
chemically welding its seams enhances vinyl's native resistance to water
seepage and dirt accumulation and thereby significantly reduces the
spread of bacteria and other unsanitary influences.

But most damaging of all to the myth of vinyl's unsafety is the fact that --
based on studies conducted in Arlington, Va., by the Vinyl Institute --
a research and testing arm of the American Plastics Council -- even when
burning, vinyl flooring releases no more phosgene, cyanide, hydrochloric
acid, carbon monoxide or other toxic chemicals than most other flooring
materials. In fact, vinyl's tendency to stop burning when an external
flame-source is removed has led some to describe it as
"self-extinguishing," vastly increasing its overall safety versus most
other forms of flooring."

From Indoor Air Quality Solution- http://www.iuoe.org/cm/iaq_mark_prod.asp?Item=392

Interesting stuff. If anyone knows more about it, feel free to share it. I also found this in the Journal of Arid Environments:

"Vegetation characteristics and butterfly use of unlined and PVC-lined reaches of an irrigation delivery canal, Government Highline Canal, Colorado, U.S.A

Some canal designs now incorporate plastic (PVC) liners to reduce seepage, and vegetation could be incidentally affected. We tested the hypothesis that PVC lining has no long-term effect on bank vegetation by comparing vegetation on interior banks of a reach of an 88-km long irrigation canal (47 m3s−1capacity) lined 6–8 years earlier, with vegetation along unlined reaches of the same canal. The lined reach generally had lower values for cover, biomass, and richness than unlined reaches to the east. However, an east–west gradient in biomass noted within a 32-km long unlined reach suggested that the lower values of the lined-reach were at least partially due to factors unrelated to lining. Butterfly communities using the sampled reaches were surveyed to assess habitat quality. No significant differences were detected among the reaches, although the butterfly assemblage in the westmost lined reach tended to differ from those in unlined reaches. Pre- and post-lining surveys conducted on the same reach, as well as natural history data, indicated that canal butterflies were derived from surrounding habitats, rather than the canal itself. Vegetation management practices (e.g. periodic burning) limit the study canal's value as a habitat for butterflies and probably other species."

Found on Sciencedirect.com

Basically, I think that the PVC linings are safe and so are grow tents. There's no evidence that the tent itself is the cause of any of the problems. The conditions within the tent might be a problem, but those are not the fault of the tent. :wave:

Last edited:

justagrower

justagrower said:
both these quotes from this thread show the same symptoms on plants placed inside a hydrohut ,coincidence ?? i don t think so. both growers are sure it s the hydrohut as they have plants in the same medium outside the hut growing healthly . why would anybody ignore this and say it must be a def or lock-out and not look at the new envoirnment first .

Nice try Mns :wave: i think it s pretty plain from my post ( with the part hi-lighted you chose to remove ;) ) that i m saying both growers are suffering from Bad Room Syndrome inside their hydrohuts , caused by their hydrohuts!!!! .

MnS, how do you explain the def in micros in a plant that size in a pot which the plant obviously hasn t come any where near to being rootbound . both growers also say all was well before going in the hydrohut . one even says they have plants in same medium growing fine outside the hut . what does this tell you .

i m not here to piss in anybodies cornflakes , but i v also being doing this a wee while now and have personally experienced these same bleached out looking leaves with growth coming to a standstill . if the plants are removed from the hydrohut , they will recover , if not they will die . no amount off sulfur is going to save them on this occasion .

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Plant does not have to be root bound to show issues, pH can play a role, to much nutrients also plays a role which is called "lockout".

AGAIN you did not read my post clearly, I NEVER SAID WHAT WAS THE CAUSE, all I said was it was a sulfur deficiency thats it, I said I did not know what caused it, because I knew nothing about his growing conditions and environment, so putting words into my mouth I did not say,is one of my biggest pet peeves!

ALl I said was whatr the problem was, which that IS what the problem was, what caused it? I could care less at this point the plants are gone. Case closed!

BudZad7

:wave: Hi All! HydroHut made the original 2 vent hut, then came out with the 4 vent hut....the 2 vent hut is a dark blue color and the newer 4 vent hut is black

I wonder if they changed something from the old hut to new hut??? Is the huts you people have the 2 or 4 vent models, and which huts are causing the yellow issues???? Mine is the newer hut, but I have a old hut still in the box....???? :wave:

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As time goes by, they upgrade their products.

I've got 2 budboxes bought a couple years apart. The XL has no vents on the sides and metal zip-tags. The mini bought recently, has side vents and rubberised zip-tags. Just part of the evolution of their design I think.

I'd concentrate on conditions rather than the hut itself. There seems no logical explanation as to why the tent itself would be a problem. As I showed before, Vinyl is safe both for humans and in a natural context and any problems experienced with a tent must be due to environmental conditions and not the tent itself.

In my case and probably several others, it actually is/was the hut.

However, Hydrohut owners don't despair! I contacted Hydrohut. They are aware of this seemingly random problem and they are feverishly trying to track down the cause.

They did say that the compound causing the problem is coming from the frame (inside the poles) rather than the vinyl. After switching out the bare metal frame for a new white-coated one, all seems to be growing well, so far.

BTW, I was very pleased with the way Hydrohut handled my situation. I didn't get the runaround at all. After my dealings with them, it is quite obvious to me that they stand behind their products and actually care about their customers.

Sammet said:
As time goes by, they upgrade their products.

I've got 2 budboxes bought a couple years apart. The XL has no vents on the sides and metal zip-tags. The mini bought recently, has side vents and rubberised zip-tags. Just part of the evolution of their design I think.

I'd concentrate on conditions rather than the hut itself. There seems no logical explanation as to why the tent itself would be a problem. As I showed before, Vinyl is safe both for humans and in a natural context and any problems experienced with a tent must be due to environmental conditions and not the tent itself.

Last edited:

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting to hear that KOD - cheers for posting. I wonder what the frames are made from or what the problem with them was. My budbox has all it's metal poles coated in that white plastic/white paint, huzzah!

Kr@kEn

I don't have any such problems in my HydroHut.

I run a 600w HPS Cool Tube in a HydroHut Original (4x4x7). No intake fan, just using the passive intakes built into the hut. I use a 265cfm fan to both cool the reflector, filter the air, and exhaust heat. I use an oscillating fan oscillating and blowing on the tops of my plants. My temps rarely get over 75F. This is because I use a cool tube and the carbon filter all inline together with the fan.

It's ducted like this (in the direction of air flow) -

Carbon Filter > Intake side of fan > output side of fan > cooltube > exhausts out

I use the exhausted heat to keep warm in the winter too, I just turn my furnace thermostat down to 65F and the temps seem to stay around 70ish on the floor that the hydrohut is on. ;)

Last edited:
G

What to do?

What to do?

When you say you switched out the poles for some white ones, did the Hydrohut guys give you that when you asked, or you substituted your own in there? Or did you merely paint the current poles? Please help, I got the same problems!

G

I went to my local shop today and the guy said there have been numerous of these Huts spreading around the Bay area. He recommended soaking the poles of the huts in bleach and rinsing with water. I just did that tonight and am going to put the Hut back together tomorrow. Hopefully they look better. Any other suggestions, keep them coming...

Grinchy

KissOfDeath said:
In my case and probably several others, it actually is/was the hut.

However, Hydrohut owners don't despair! I contacted Hydrohut. They are aware of this seemingly random problem and they are feverishly trying to track down the cause.

They did say that the compound causing the problem is coming from the frame (inside the poles) rather than the vinyl. After switching out the bare metal frame for a new white-coated one, all is growing well again.

BTW, I was very pleased with the way Hydrohut handled my situation. I didn't get the runaround at all. After my dealings with them, it is quite obvious to me that they stand behind their products and actually care about their customers.

I had the same problem. It is real, it drove me nuts, I thought I couldn't handle hydro, then I tried the trusty soil and it killed those too! Seeds and clones didn't matter. Some pictures are in my gallery. I got the new free poles from hydrohut, problem fixed. I feel so relieved that I don't have a green curse. Great customer service, I concur. They immediately replaced my poles with no questions, even though I did tests in different rooms to make sure it was the hut. It looked like the seedlings after a certain point would start burning like nute burn, progresssing to kill the whole plant, atleast for me. Don't rule out the bogus poles as a possibility for anyone having problems, just test some plants in another room and check. :fsu:

Grinchy

StiflersMom said:
I went to my local shop today and the guy said there have been numerous of these Huts spreading around the Bay area. He recommended soaking the poles of the huts in bleach and rinsing with water. I just did that tonight and am going to put the Hut back together tomorrow. Hopefully they look better. Any other suggestions, keep them coming...

email international growers supply

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wonder what the poles can contain that can be toxic to plants. I reckon it must be some sort of noxious chemical from the manufacturing process, wierd that such a flaw exists - it makes me wonder about the safety of other things in my room.

Latest posts

Latest posts