What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Growth Yellows in my Hydro Hut?

justus

Home made is almost always best, but for some folks because of physical or space issues, it's not always possible. You always hear of this kind of thing happening to "other people". Sucks when it's you.

stream

Are there any alternative grow tents to the hydrohut, other than building your own, that are available in the US? I was going to buy several this week, but I am holding off until the problem is solved.

G

I read that all the grow-tents are manufactured in the same factory in China. The machine is - based on what I read - a Japanese machine, of which there is only one in China, and all the tents - regardless of company selling them - come from the same facility.

This would indicate, I guess, that it was a bad batch or three, and not the whole stock.

Hydrofarm sels one which looks exactly the same as the HH, but the trim is pink, or something. I think it is the same.

If an enterprising person was so inclined, they would jump on this, and start a NEW grow-tent company, which maybe did NOT utilize white vinyl. Perhaps a mylar, or mirroring, or some such.....?

Tested, and effective, preferrably. lol

I think many peeps would line up to buy them....

My Habitat (hydrofarm tent) is much better quality material than the hydrohut that it replaced. Not only that, but the 4x2 habitat also has 4 inch and 6 inch vents.

It's been up for a week, and the girls continue to recover.

There is a tent by Secret Jardin called DarkRoom. It's a mylar lined tent. It looks pretty good too, but the habitat (green trim), looks a little more like a wardrobe than the DarkRoom. The DarkRoom looks awesome though.

Devan Delrey

hi all , I've continued to read the comments about the huts. I recently posted that I returned a 3x3 HH. I had been growing in it for a year and have had everything turn yellow, leaves then drop off, and if it makes it to the flowering stage, even those smaller leaves begin to have tip death and then completely die off. I guess you could look at it like skipping the manicuring process but, well you get the point. So with my new hut I tossed my already dying kali's in hoping that things would get better. They didn't. So I put some healthy Sage and Sour's in. Within 3 days they began to turn lime green. I sprayed them with some liquid karma , no reaction to that . Sprayed them with some Thrive alive, they continued to yellow. I took them out yesterday morning and put them back into my veg chamber and today they have greened up substantially. I did nothing to them when I put them back into veg. No water, nutes, etc.
I'm wondering what wattage of light everyone is using that is having this issue. I'm using 600 watts in a 3x3 .. too much ??? Peace.

Last edited:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Devan Delrey said:
So with my new hut I tossed my already dying kali's in hoping that things would get better. They didn't.

---

I'm wondering what wattage of light everyone is using that is having this issue.

Hey Devan - 600w isn't too much as long as you have proper ventilation. To answer your question, I was running a 1000w light in my 4x4 Hydrohut. I also tried a 125w cfl reflector in there for a few days at one point, but it didn't make a noticeable difference.

My advice - remove the hut cover for a few days, leave the light up, and re-do the ventilation temporarily so that you can say with confidence the hut cover is the cause of your problems. Then pursue an alternate-brand replacement or refund with your retailer. A 3x3 hut will cost you $25-30 (usd) to ship back via UPS Ground, fyi.

Good luck!

btw - Thanks for the kind words Berry, Stitch & Endo! Made my day for sure!!

Last edited:

Devan Delrey

Thanks for the reply Mr.B. Much appreciated. Just a short blurb about those sage and sours. They are on their way to full recovery. All I did was remove them from the hut. Just changed their environment. So I guess I'll be breaking this one down and returning it also. Makes me sad that I wasted so much time, money, energy, heart. It was stressful thinking that I was doing everything wrong. Anyway, thanks for the threads on this topic it has been a wonderful source and in my case a great relief.
Peace to you.

B

Bubble Puppy

Well lets think outside the box ,i don' t own a hydro hut ,but if i was stuck with one with all these problems .."What would i do? ......I would buy a paint spray gun and paint the entire interior several times.Or find some way to coat the interior and poles with a non volitile coating ,,,,this may not be what everyone thinks of ...but in my line of work this is how we would think to solve the problem if stuck with one ....

Berry_Coughin'

Veteran
Bubble Puppy...sounds like maybe a short term fix to a possible long term problem....

EDIT: + add to that.... I shouldn't have to paint the entire interior of my $500+ tent....

icky420

FYI

FYI

Just thought I would add this from my thread

iLLperception said:
Hi I bought my Hut around Aug 2007. I am using a 465CFM Vortex 6" blower throttled down to about half speed. My problems have occurred when I use my 1000W HPS in the hut, keeping the temps around 82-84F.

I had a 1.5 month period where i only used a 400W MH inside (temps around 72F) the hut and did NOT have problems during this time. However, as soon as I switched back on the 1000W HPS I immediately began having the yellowing leaves that die from the tip, very similar to several pics in these posts.

I will also state for the record that I had initial problems with the HUT, but built a separate room and have been using only the metal poles and the watertight floor, and have NOT been using the outer vinyl cover, yet have still had the problems just as severe as when I used the whole hut. I have been using the "barebones" hut for approx 2 months now.

So either the waterproof vinyl floor cover (that came with the HUT) puts off enough "off-gas" on it's own, or the poles are the culprit.

I have no other information to go on except personal experience and what I have read. Again I have NOT used the outer cover of the hut, only the poles and the vinyl floor cover and I am still having a severe reaction in my grow. Last night I removed ALL hut parts from my grow and I will see if it improves, however I am on day 51 on flower so there's not a lot of time to see!

justus

We got a hydrofarm replacement for our 2x4, put 1 plant in last saturday. It's been 1 week, and the plant is doing fine. Same strain, same soil set up. Only difference is that it's not in a hydrohut and it's doing fine.
It was they hydrohut that was doing all the killing. Than god it's gone!

justus

No.We contacted hydrofarm directly. They didn't even want the hydrohuts back.
Also, we gave out 2x4 to a friend who is a terrific grower. it killed 2 of his plants in a week. He haas qute a few so he could afford to waste 2. And he sure did. He was shocked. It's in a dumpster somewhere.

Devan Delrey

Hi everyone. Just an update on my hydro hut situation. I returned the second one that I traded for. I had no problem returning it back to the store. They were fully aware of the problem, and told me that the supplier had even admitted problems and were no longer using hydro hut. Hydro farm is what they carry now. However it didn't come in a 3x3 so I didn't get one in replacement but instead took store credit to get a few things I needed. To be honest I probably wouldn't have traded for the hydro farm anyway. After a year of failure after failure I am finally glad to be over this and moving in a positive forward direction. Thanks again for this thread. You all really helped me with this issue.
If you have a hut and stuff turns yellow in it. Take it back.
Peace to you all.

BlindDate

Veteran
This is a very interesting thread. I would also add that all those outgassing toxins are going into the lungs of anyone in the room. Has anyone brought this to the attention of OSHA? Sounds like a class action law suit against HH. Hey!!Lets make a tiny Vinyl room and recommend that people put a 1000 watt HPS inside. This is serious guys, normally, a vinyl product will loose it's smell after a period of time, but a vinyl enclosure manufactured with the intended use of installing what amounts to a heater inside is gross negligence on the part of the manufacturer. This is the perfect lawsuit.

Design Defects: Liability arises from a mistake or oversight in the design of a product, which makes it dangerous when used as intended, or when used for another reasonably foreseeable purpose.

Negligence: In a negligence action, the plaintiff must typically demonstrate that the parties responsible for placing the product into commerce had a duty to provide goods fit for their foreseeable uses, would have detected the defect with the exercise of reasonable care in the design, manufacture, or inspection process, failed to meet its obligations, and that the plaintiff was injured by the product as a result of the defect while engaged in a foreseeable use of the product.

Last edited:

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BlindDate said:
This is a very interesting thread. I would also add that all those outgassing toxins are going into the lungs of anyone in the room. Has anyone brought this to the attention of OSHA? Sounds like a class action law suit against HH. Hey!!Lets make a tiny Vinyl room and recommend that people put a 1000 watt HPS inside. This is serious guys, normally, a vinyl product will loose it's smell after a period of time, but a vinyl enclosure manufactured with the intended use of installing what amounts to a heater inside is gross negligence on the part of the manufacturer. This is the perfect lawsuit.

Design Defects: Liability arises from a mistake or oversight in the design of a product, which makes it dangerous when used as intended, or when used for another reasonably foreseeable purpose.

Negligence: In a negligence action, the plaintiff must typically demonstrate that the parties responsible for placing the product into commerce had a duty to provide goods fit for their foreseeable uses, would have detected the defect with the exercise of reasonable care in the design, manufacture, or inspection process, failed to meet its obligations, and that the plaintiff was injured by the product as a result of the defect while engaged in a foreseeable use of the product.

If anyone intends to do anything involving lawsuits then they shouldn't be posting it in here. You should be aware that the maker of HydroHuts (or someone claiming to be from them) reads this thread.

This thread shouldn't be about blame and anger, it should be about educating people with HHs that there could be a problem with their tent and how they can address the issue in terms of getting back to having healthy growing plants. Wether that be cleaning the tent/poles or returning it for a refund/new tent.

This is after all the Cannabis Infirmary, for the discussion of sick plants and their treatment.

Texas Kid

Subject: Open Letter from HydroHut to the public-- please copy and resend as needed

Reply-To: <Evan@hydroasis.com>

Open Letter from HydroHut to the public

In the last several months, HydroHut has been made aware of and pursued a problem with some of its Huts causing a peculiar plant yellowing leading to plant whitening in certain, sensitive plants. While the issue did not arise in all plants, or all Huts, the existence of a problem was not conducive to our product’s mission.

After several months of extensive testing, false positives and much interaction with the public regarding this matter, we have found an EPA approved compound that isn’t stable in our plastic and that causes extreme stress to certain sensitive plants. In the future, this compound will be removed during manufacture.

Our focus has been directed at how to remove this compound from the plastic and to do so in a way that we could retroactively repair any HydroHut already in the field. As of February 2008, HydroHut will be repairing any affected HydroHuts at its facility. The exact process by which we repair the HydroHuts is extensive and proprietary and it will be carried out by a trained staff at our locations.

We fully understand that this situation with our product has adversely affected many clients. For this reason, we are standing behind our product and are offering anyone who has been affected a way to have his/her HydroHut repaired free of charge.

Any client, be they end user or store, can arrange to have his HydroHut shipped back to our Los Angeles facility for processing, free of charge. The HydroHut will then be shipped back to the client free of charge.

All inquiries for HydroHut processing should be directed to hydrohuts@gmail.com with no exceptions.
Please provide the following details in the email:
1) Size/model of affected HydroHut

2) Number of affected HydroHuts (only the HydroHut brand will be accepted for processing)

3) Address where the HydroHut can be picked up by UPS call tag (make sure someone is there to meet the UPS driver) Do not use a PO box as UPS will not pick up from a PO box

4) A name to whom/which we can address the package going back to you, the client. (We will make a good faith attempt at getting your product back to you. If nobody is at the address to accept the package three times, the package will be sent back to Los Angeles. Any further attempts to get the package to the client will be paid for by client.)

5) Please remove your HydroHut canvas or skin and box it up. Do not pack up your poles or hardware. Do not remove your frame. Do not attempt to ship us your frame or other items. We will only be call tagging the canvas in a box. You must provide that box and properly seal that box. We will send you a call tag for a specific weight based on the email you send to us with your HydroHut details. Again, we will only be taking back your canvas for processing; no other parts or hardware will be accepted. Leave your frame set up and intact.

6) We will make every effort to process and reship your HydroHut canvas within two weeks. This is not a guarantee but it is our goal. Please note that ground shipments across the USA can take up to 8 days! Even if we process your HydroHut in only one day, there could still be 16 days of ground shipping, 8 days coming to us and 8 days going back. Be patient. Most clients will not have to wait two weeks. Every attempt will be made to expedite each HydroHut.

7) If a store has new HydroHut, still in its original box, the canvas can be re-boxed in a separate box, and the canvas will be returned to the store new and folded, ready to put back into the original box. Please keep your original box at your store including all poles, hardware, and instructions. Do not send us the entire unit.

While this entire exercise may be time consuming, HydroHut is doing all that it can to rectify this problem as quickly as possible. We apologize to everyone for the difficulties incurred with our product, end-users and stores. Without a loyal standing of clients we would be nothing. It is our goal make this situation as right as we can.

Thank you to everyone who has stuck with us through this difficult period.

Evan Townsley
Managing Director

That's the latest on the ordeal.....

Tex

BlindDate

Veteran
I didn't think it was the poles.

we have found an EPA approved compound that isn’t stable in our plastic and that causes extreme stress to certain sensitive plants. In the future, this compound will be removed during manufacture.

EPA approved WITHOUT a 1000 watt light on it.

"Removed during manufacture" So it's some kind of manufacturing lubricant or something that they can clean off. "Proprietary" process!! Maybe they have to use chemicals to clean with.

justus

well, now I know

well, now I know

I waited till we got all out money back before I posted this. we had two hydrohuts. and they killed everything. the people from hydrofarm replaced them with two of their own huts.

same exact results.

the guy from hydrofarm told us that we needed to have at least a six in fan blowing fresh outside air directly into the hut, and at least a six inch fan exhausting to the outside with both hoses nowhere near each other. and both fans were to never be on anything but high.

that means that the air inside would need to be replaced every couple of seconds or toxicity would build up and kill everything.

the only reason they returned our money is because nowhere on their web site is this posted.

and now I see that they have taken the habitats off their web site.

Latest posts

Latest posts