What's new

HYDROHUT CURE?

tricknology

:wave: i believe i've cured my hydrohut syndrome. This is how, will post pics when available.

first, i got a hydrohut mini from the local hydro store.
I had some healthy bubba kush clones that i grew into mothers. I threw everything in the hut to make them grow biger than they could under floro; so you could say i was in the same veg stage.

like everyone else they yellowed.

notice how the one on the left is less yellow than the one on the right.
I did an experiment to see if it was nutrient shock so i watered the one on the left with my regular mix of nutrient while the one on the right was watered with p.h. 5.5 water

NOTE CONDITIONS IN HUT:
temp was around 80 but I had to keep the doors slightly open because i was using a box room fan for ventilation. the fan was inside the hut pointed at the 400w hps light and reflector. humidity was like 30. the light was about 2 ft away from the tops

NOTE CONDITIONS IN "KINDERGARTEN"
growing in 6 inch cube rockwool, pH 5.8 temp 78ish in the "kindergarten"

when I came across a thread on this forum about yellowing in hydrohut i thought "oh there we go"

so i e-mailed and got a new hut, one this time with white poles.

after about 2 weeks the plants regained some vigor and after trimming the yellow shit off they looked like this, back in the kindergarten.

I set it up thinking YES no more yellow.

weary as i was i only used one plant this time... I transplanted it into some inert soilless mix called readygro. watered with the same nutrients. 3 days later, yellow.

so i got to thinking about what i was doing wrong. I got a 6 inch vortex fan and hooked that up with some ducting and conversions to the ballast, raised the light 2 more feet (to 4' above tops) and waited.

meanwhile, I read the forums some more and read about a guy who claimed to work with plastics for 8 years. he said something about chlorine gas leaching from the plastic. so I used my chemistry and i took my mold killing spray called Green Cure (potassium bicarbonate) KHCO3. and sprayed it all over the inside of hut and poles and wiped it down. what this does, in theory, is react with the chlorine on the plastic described by: 2KHCO3 + CL2 --> 2KCL

then as a final blow, i mixed 1 ml of cal-mag with some r.o. water and foliar fed every day right after the light turned on. this would potentially cure any Fe, Ca, or Mg deficiencies.

it's been 3 days now and theyre starting to green up again!!! THE YELLOWING STOPPED, ITS GROWING, AND THE NEWEST GROWTH (besides affected tips) ARE GREEN!

ventilation!
neutralize hut (if thats the case)
foliar feed with cal-mag. VERY DILUTE, i used a couple drops to 750 ml H2O

I will post pics later tonight if i remember to but will follow up for sure.

hope this helps...

:rasta:

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
so.......

basically. you cleaned it?

in a nutshell. chemical equations aside. in essence, you cleaned it.

simple green.
or whatever your locale brannie name is.

tks tho.

:wave:

F

Four2Zero

tricknology: Thats very cool that the chemical reaction changes the bad stuff into potasium chloride (Potash)!!! Awesome work!
F2Z

hubcap said:
so.......

basically. you cleaned it?

in a nutshell. chemical equations aside. in essence, you cleaned it.

simple green.
or whatever your locale brannie name is.

tks tho.

:wave:
He didn't just clean it, he got a new HUT from Hydrohut but still had problems. Then he figured out that cleaning it with a certain chemical will CURE ANOTHER PROBLEM with the plastics in the hydrohut. Get it?

I myself have the HydroHut 2x4 and its been about 1 month. I dont notice any yellowing in my plants, nor do I see rust on the poles. The poles are straight metal(steel?Aluminum?IDK) So should I be okay? Or should I buy some of that chemical and spray/clean it down?

AFTER YOU CLEAN, HOW LONG DO YOU WAIT SO YOU KNOW YOU CAN PUT YOUR PLANTS BACK IN? SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT LINGERING CHEMICALS IN THE AIR??

Nice write up, it helps people even better WHEN THEY OWN A HYDROHUT instead of the people who dont own it and are smart asses..

philli007

Tricknology,
Thanks for the info! I just set my grow tent up a few days ago and like you have read that in some cases plants were suffering in them. But I needed a room inside my flower room for vegging and this was a cheaper way to go; that is instead of building a room.

I haven't noticed any yellowing of leaves, but it is best to be prepared. So how are your plants doing now?
Later,
P007

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
you need soap and water to clean the hut and rid the yellow problem.

freaking chinese, probably cladded the plastic with lead...

G

hahaha

hahaha

digital u had me on the groung luaghing off my ass.heheheeh DAM CHINESE
trying to kill us all off with coating everything that comes over to the U.S
in lead.............hmmmm :bashhead: revenge maybe we did nuc them . :rasta:

chepnut

vinnystallion said:
digital u had me on the groung luaghing off my ass.heheheeh DAM CHINESE
trying to kill us all off with coating everything that comes over to the U.S
in lead.............hmmmm :bashhead: revenge maybe we did nuc them . :rasta:

We sent an atomic bomb to Japan not China.

chepnut

Bubble Puppy said:
Here's the cure to hydrohut syndrome send the hydrohut back and buy this at 1/4 th the price

http://marketplace.hgtv.com/Product.aspx?Lid=1389-06896

This thing

Yeah except the fact you have to hang the thing, cut your own vent holes and then make it light tight, And then make supports for your lights.

organizeeverything1_1984_68983123.jpg

hurricane

chepnut said:
This thing

Yeah except the fact you have to hang the thing, cut your own vent holes and then make it light tight, And then make supports for your lights.

Yup. I would guess a large percentage of the people buying hydrohuts dont have an attic or a basement to hang that from. Usually purchasing this to get away from any permenant modifications to the home with the ability to pull it down in hours with no sign if required.

Hurricane

tricknology

so yea its been a bit, sorry for the no photos, the yelloing stopped and the new growth is green, although oldyellowed growth remains, plant looks happy and beginning to flower and stink! will post (try) with pics tomorrow or today about 4 or 5 over the course.

about the chems in the air,
no, i put my plants right back in.

but note i also foliar fed wit cal mag raised thelights andput in adequate ventilation.

p.s. the unaffected clone i put in after i did all that showed absolutely no signs of yellowing.
i wish i could have tried all that separately but i simply did not have the time to wait while i kill my plants!
cheers

hurricane

Great to hear. I'm feeling like i might get lucky right now. I bought a hydrohut in early January from a hydro store. Didn't do anything special just set it up and ran ventilation for about a week. Its not the newest model as it still had the raw metal poles, not the powder coated ones. Clones have been planted for 4 days, in hut/next to open hut for 6 now. Not seeing any yellowing in particular yet, there is new growth happening though. Heres hoping my tent is all good, but perhaps it will take a week or two so if i see anything i will certainly pick up the stuff you used.

Hurricane

tricknology

ok here it is...

all in chronological order. notice how the new growth has grown out and the yellowing is now in the middle part of the leaf. they wont recover but at least the new growth is green...
cheers! :wave:

Last edited:

tricknology

Mischief2JZ said:
He didn't just clean it, he got a new HUT from Hydrohut but still had problems. Then he figured out that cleaning it with a certain chemical will CURE ANOTHER PROBLEM with the plastics in the hydrohut. Get it?

I myself have the HydroHut 2x4 and its been about 1 month. I dont notice any yellowing in my plants, nor do I see rust on the poles. The poles are straight metal(steel?Aluminum?IDK) So should I be okay? Or should I buy some of that chemical and spray/clean it down?

AFTER YOU CLEAN, HOW LONG DO YOU WAIT SO YOU KNOW YOU CAN PUT YOUR PLANTS BACK IN? SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT LINGERING CHEMICALS IN THE AIR??

Nice write up, it helps people even better WHEN THEY OWN A HYDROHUT instead of the people who dont own it and are smart asses..

i think yore fine, you got a good batch. seems like the ones either made or sold after june were bad. if youve been in there a month and no yellowing. i wouldnt change jack. yellowing typically takes only 3 days to a week

praisehim.

Veteran
dont have a hut...but my buddy has the same yellowing issue. thanks for the advice... defeinetly will let him know..