What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NEW FORMULA Masterblend 0-12-24 Is This The Best Option in 2023???

Gooseman23

To be clear everything I’m saying is assuming hydroponic feeding and RO water. My bad! If you’re in soil or have tap water than my opinions don’t really apply

That 0-20-42 looks amazing as it makes the price dirt cheap. Basically they just pulled out the Magnesium Sulfate. You can buy Epsom salt at Walmart for under $1 per lb.

Also pulling out the Epsom will make it less clumpy and more readily dissolved.
Yea I see the reason they pulled is specifically because of clumping but I guess I’m not as easily annoyed as everybody the clumping didn’t even bother me. I just squeeze clump it breaks and I keep enough in a zip lock bag for each run so I only deal with it once each run so not an issue for me personally.

Gooseman23

@Old Uncle Ben you do realize you’re also falling for the hype yet you’re saying everybody else is. In Jadam and knf we learn that nature creates all the nutrients plants need. And you can use nature to create nutrients for your indoor plants. But yet you bought into the advertisement of osmocote and dynagro to give you plant nutrients that you can find right outside your home… I mean I’m sure you understand how fall season comes and leaves fall to the ground and they break down and become nutrients for the soil right? So man you’re worse than all of us technically since your so convinced you’re the only one that didn’t fall for the hype all the while advertising for these companies osmocote and being blinded by the hype…

Old Uncle Ben

I had forgot about this thread man you can’t call masterblend hype

man you call everything hype and while I agree with you sometimes you can’t really call masterblend hype when it is $67 for a 25lb bag… it’s just as cheap or cheaper than the none cannabis specific nutrients you recommend. Even that osmocote you keep talking about it costs more than mastblend so just because you don’t use it doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. When people talk about hype it’s about people over charging for cannabis specific nutes when you can pay less and do the same thing. Masterblend is not doing that so no problem with having a cannabis specific nutrient if you’re going to charge a good price just as any other nutrient.

The NPK ratio is hype, perpetrated on noobs that don't understand that it's not bloom foods that produce flowers/fruit, it's healthy leaves. But not to worry, the vendors will give you what you believe you need.

Bloom foods, those without much N, will actually work against you.

This says it all, and just one example of the absurdity of their products::

1702915978633.png

UB

Gooseman23

The NPK ratio is hype, perpetrated on noobs that don't understand that it's not bloom foods that produce flowers/fruit, it's healthy leaves. But not to worry, the vendors will give you what you believe you need.

Bloom foods, those without much N, will actually work against you.

This says it all, and just one example of the absurdity of their products::

View attachment 18934652

UB
You don’t get it man it’s a 1 part of a 3 part formula. You’re not supposed to feed just bloom nutes. You use the masterblend 0-12-24 along with calcium nitrate and epsom salt. Together they make a complete formula. It is for people who want to control different nutes in the grow. Of course you don’t need to have that control but there are some studies showing some strains benefit from a PK boost. The thing you get is freedom to see what your plants like. You can run the same all the way through with the same N if you want or if you want to you can lower N later in flower without having to lower PK. Some people prefer to control their feed and some don’t. That doesn’t make it hype. Their are hype brands for sure but $67 for 25lb that could make 2800 gallons of feed for your plants is not some hype rip off… I don’t think you understand how much that is especially for a home grower they could probably grow for the next 5 plus years in a small setup for $67 vs some of these brands you spend $200 on their full line and can only do like 2 runs… those are hype.
Also you say npk ratios are hype as if the osmocote you keep pushing doesn’t have an NPK ratio???

Last edited:

Gooseman23

I tell you what @Old Uncle Ben gell me the specific osmocote you recommend and what feeding rate you recommend. I will run a side by side and see what works best on clones. Keep in mind I’m in coco and perlite in a grow tent. 3 gallon pots. Give me your recommendation and I’ll run this test to see how good it is

Edit: nevermind I just found your post so I’m going to dig in it and try this osmocote out

Sasult

I'm looking into watered in feeding, but the up front cost are too high for all the extra work. This is cheaper than other options for sure, but I think I'll stick with osmocote for now. It cost less than a buck a plant, is easy, and works great. Especially with how I do a perpetual grow, pick a plant a week give or take. So I have every stage going all the time, and I can totally see my blind ass watering with the wrong can.

Gooseman23

I don't do 2 or 3 part blends. I do one part complete foods like a 9-3-6, 20-20-20, 15-9-12.

UB
Oh ok that’s the difference for me I actually like interacting and mixing nutrients for my plant. My last run I went Jadam which is natural farming but after I made all the stuff it got kinda boring which is why I went back to masterblend.
I'm looking into watered in feeding, but the up front cost are too high for all the extra work. This is cheaper than other options for sure, but I think I'll stick with osmocote for now. It cost less than a buck a plant, is easy, and works great. Especially with how I do a perpetual grow, pick a plant a week give or take. So I have every stage going all the time, and I can totally see my blind ass watering with the wrong can.
thats understandable man do what works best for you. I enjoy mixing nutrients and giving different ratios to see what my plants like best. But I may try the osmocote for 1 run too on 1 plant and just see how I like it. As I stated earlier I like Jadam natural farming which is pretty mucH FREE. I switched back to nutes because it got too easy after I have made all my inputs already. Kinda boring for me. But it works good

piper

back in the day when we grew outdoors (no indoor lights yet, not enough growers) we would all drink and piss on the plants

we had great bud ... piss is great !!! piper 1977

Ca++

I tell you what @Old Uncle Ben gell me the specific osmocote you recommend and what feeding rate you recommend. I will run a side by side and see what works best on clones. Keep in mind I’m in coco and perlite in a grow tent. 3 gallon pots. Give me your recommendation and I’ll run this test to see how good it is

Edit: nevermind I just found your post so I’m going to dig in it and try this osmocote out
Ignore the constant bleating. It's not complete. Your plants will die.

E$Money

I had forgot about this thread man you can’t call masterblend hype

man you call everything hype and while I agree with you sometimes you can’t really call masterblend hype when it is $67 for a 25lb bag… it’s just as cheap or cheaper than the none cannabis specific nutrients you recommend. Even that osmocote you keep talking about it costs more than mastblend so just because you don’t use it doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. When people talk about hype it’s about people over charging for cannabis specific nutes when you can pay less and do the same thing. Masterblend is not doing that so no problem with having a cannabis specific nutrient if you’re going to charge a good price just as any other nutrient.
This is exactly right. Nicely said.

Old Uncle Ben

Well what do you call hydroponics? Cause I'm pretty sure you can make a mix of coco/perlite or maybe a peat moss base and add Osmocote and get something that works.

Might as well go to soil. Most commercial growers make up their own using nothing more than pine bark fines, sand/vermiculite/perlite, dolomite lime.

Last edited:

Gooseman23

I'm 100% sure you can't
Well I’m running coco and when I run soil I use jadam and or KNF so o guess I won’t be trying it if it don’t work in coco.
Might as well go to soil. Most commercial growers make up their own using nothing more than pine bark fines, sand/vermiculite/perlite, dolomite lime.
And uncle Ben why do you ignore when I keep bringing up jadam and KNF? Have you not heard of these methods of natural farming which are the lowest cost possible?

Tomatoesonly

Isn’t peat based considered soil? I’m pretty sure most soils sold in stores are peat based?
Hydro can be anything, IMO, if the substrate contributes nothing to the nutrition of the plant. Peat is a filler. It has no nutritional value at all. It retains water and can alter pH value if needed.

Latest posts

Latest posts