What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NEW FORMULA Masterblend 0-12-24 Is This The Best Option in 2023???

Why does the N have to be tied to the calcium as in most products available? It would be more helpful if the N and the Cal are completely independent, so that if I want to reduce N in Week 3-6, I can do so without changing the Cal at the same time. Or if I want to give higher N in veg but not so much Cal....

Did someone compare this directly to the standard Tomato formula at 2-2-1 Masterblend? And btw, I believe Jacks has 'less' micros then masterblend. I don't want to waste my Tomato 4-18-38 can someone speak to the timing of using this new product i.e. all the way through as a replacement for the 4-18-38?
The tomato 4-18-38 can be tweaked to mimic the cannabis formula with MAP. Gypsum, Magnesium nitrate, potassium sulfate. I never flower under 100ppm nitrogen anyways, so the tomato forumla is just fine for what i need.

Verdant Whisperer

Just my 2 cents - Mono Ammonium phosphate and potassium nitrate are two of the most widely used fertilizers because they have lower salt content compared to the others, and are more friendly to the plants, less chance of burn ect. all of my formulas i make my base from MAP and PN then work around them with the others to get desired levels. heres a list of my homemade fertilizers i use. its my own personal recipe if anyone wants to give it a shot. cost me around 1$ -2$ a liter to make.

Hybrid/Hydroponics Cannabis Nutrients:
  1. Grow (3.6-2.2-5.6):
  • 12.6% Potassium Nitrate
  • 3.5% Mono-Ammonium Phosphate
  • 3.5% Ammonium Nitrate
  • 1% Micronutrients
  1. Bloom (1.5-6.1-4.3):
  • 7% Mono-Ammonium Phosphate
  • 5.25% Potassium Nitrate
  • 3.5% Mono-Potassium Phosphate
  • 1.75% Potassium Sulfate
  • 1% Micronutrients
  1. Finisher (1.8-3.6-7):
  • 9% Potassium Nitrate
  • 5% Mono-Ammonium Phosphate
  • 5% Potassium Sulfate
  • 1% Mono-Potassium Phosphate
  • 0.5% Micronutrients
  1. Ca/Mg (2.1-0-0):
  • 2.65% Calcium
  • 1.2% Magnesium
  • 10.85% Calcium Nitrate
  • 7.35% Magnesium Nitrate

Hybrid/Hydroponics Cannabis Nutrient Feed Chart​

Weeks 1-8: Vegetative Growth with Flower, Grow, and Ca/Mg:
Week
Grow (ml/gallon)
Flower (ml/gallon)
Ca/Mg (ml/gallon)
Total (ml/gallon)
Weeks 9-16: Transition to Flowering with Flower, Grow, Ca/Mg, and Finisher:
Week
Grow (ml/gallon)
Flower (ml/gallon)
Ca/Mg (ml/gallon)
Finisher (ml/gallon)
Total (ml/gallon)

Canna Mono are the only products that I know that have only N or only Ca in it without anything else....

The Ca is calcium oxide... That's my understanding of total control (for N and Ca).

And the big difference between the Mosterblend Tomato Formula and the 0-12-24 Cannabis Formula seems to be high K in the Tomato...

Last edited:

Frog

So the next ? would be ......
I will be using Jacks 321 5-12-26 recipe for veg.
Masterblend 0-12-24 or
Jacks 0-12-26 .
Which is the one best suited for both indoors and outside ? What is the difference

E$Money

Don’t give out the secret! Masterblend is almost a direct copy of Athena minus the crazy prices. Check out my IG if you want to see how it turns out. @e_moneys_garden

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpeg
    IMG_0502.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0503.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: Rgd

Old Uncle Ben

Don’t give out the secret! Masterblend is almost a direct copy of Athena minus the crazy prices. Check out my IG if you want to see how it turns out.

Masterblend 0-12-24? Are you kidding me? MasterHype for the noob.

FloraPro™ Late Bloom is a zero nitrogen bud finishing product with high potassium and magnesium sulfate to encourage prolific flower development and allow growers more versatility to be able to fade nitrogen during the bloom phase.

Eliminating N is a big mistake and will induce premature leaf drop.

Yeah, I understand the "secret" - it's typical of this group that believes in label marketing and forum hype rather than understanding what makes a plant tick.

Uncle Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

E$Money

You know they are 2 part formulas used with calcium nitrate right? We aren’t going without Nitrogen. The idea is that the plant doesn’t need more N than the amount in the Calcium Nitrate when pushing high EC ~3 and high media EC from 4-8.

Also it allows much higher levels of calcium which I and many other people believe is the key to the results of the 0-x-x nutrient formulas.

I’m not a backer or supporter of any particular nutrient. Just looking for the best formula at a fair price.

E$Money

I also noticed that in GH Florapro they put the micronutrients with the Calcium Nitrate. This is a common “scam” imo. Athena, GH and others do this so you can’t buy another companies Calcium Nitrate.

Calcium Nitrate only costs around $30-$35 for a high quality 25lb bag. These companies force you to buy their version or else you have no micronutrients! No good!

I have been cultivating for 15 years and ran/operated several Hydroponic stores in LA. I have sold every nutrient under the sun and have used the following “lines” in approximately this order over those years.

GH
Advanced
Heavy 16
Yellow Bottle
Jacks 5-12-26
Athena
HGV
Masterblend

I’ve had good results with all of them but I have had better results in all areas smell, taste, yield since going to the nitrogen free “part A” sterile salt recipes.

Old Uncle Ben

I also noticed that in GH Florapro they put the micronutrients with the Calcium Nitrate. This is a common “scam” imo. Athena, GH and others do this so you can’t buy another companies Calcium Nitrate.

Calcium Nitrate only costs around $30-$35 for a high quality 25lb bag. These companies force you to buy their version or else you have no micronutrients! No good!

I have been cultivating for 15 years and ran/operated several Hydroponic stores in LA. I have sold every nutrient under the sun and have used the following “lines” in approximately this order over those years.

GH
Advanced
Heavy 16
Yellow Bottle
Jacks 5-12-26
Athena
HGV
Masterblend

I’ve had good results with all of them but I have had better results in all areas smell, taste, yield since going to the nitrogen free “part A” sterile salt recipes.
Try Dyna-Gro. One part, very complete, value.

Hiddenjems

GH
Advanced
Heavy 16
Yellow Bottle
Jacks 5-12-26
Athena
HGV
Masterblend

I’ve been running the gh Florapro powders the past 6 months or so. They work great. I’ve never completely cut out nitrogen with any system. I don’t see any deficiencies at the end of flower when I’m cutting the cal/nit/micros in half or more.

I think most people “nutrient issues” are really a failure to match ec, light intensity, temperature, and humidity to what the plant needs.

Ca++

I never flower under 100ppm nitrogen anyways, so the tomato forumla is just fine for what i need.
I wonder if peoples water is guiding them between the products. I have lots of Ca, without having to put in more to get my N. An RO user trying to match my Ca using calnit, might not want the N in the part A

Too much N or Ca is putting pressure on K. Before we know it, we are increasing K, and then having to increase Mg. Where the next problem becomes multiple choice.

CalNit is 19% Cal, and 15.5% Nit. So to get 155ppm N, we gain 190ppm Ca. That would have to be an RO grow IMO. Not my tap.

I wonder if peoples water is guiding them between the products. I have lots of Ca, without having to put in more to get my N. An RO user trying to match my Ca using calnit, might not want the N in the part A

Too much N or Ca is putting pressure on K. Before we know it, we are increasing K, and then having to increase Mg. Where the next problem becomes multiple choice.

CalNit is 19% Cal, and 15.5% Nit. So to get 155ppm N, we gain 190ppm Ca. That would have to be an RO grow IMO. Not my tap.
The same thing is bothering me as I have stated earlier. So what is your solution to add N withour adding Ca in the ammounts you exactly want?

Anyway, I just saw on Custom Hydro that the 0-12-24 will replaced with a new mixture of 0-20-42 which is almost the same as the tomato formula....

Last edited:

Ca++

The same thing is bothering me as I have stated earlier. So what is your solution to add N withour adding Ca in the ammounts you exactly want?

Anyway, I just saw on Custom Hydro that the 0-12-24 will replaced with a new mixture of 0-20-42 which is almost the same as the tomato formula....
I start with finding the right base feed, to which amendments will be made. Something without N, would be useless to me.
Recently I found myself amending by base with Miracle-Gro, as it has lots of N, and Ca&Mg not worth listing. The PK ratio was fine, but lagging behind the prominent 24% N content. This made it easy to work with. I just lowered my base nutes about 25%, and then put back the PK using this M-G, with it's high N.
On it's own, a gram in the 4L gallon, is 60ppm N. It's 24-8-16 so about 60-9-32ppm. That's a strong impact on N, without a lot on P, and the K might look high, but you don't want the N pushing the K out. They need some sort of relativity.
I actually did a coco run, with MG as my base towards the end. Lifting the PK values, and adding the Ca+Mg. This was a good proof of concept, regarding the rest of the small stuffs in there.
oct23a.jpg
It's still alive, using M-G as the base. So using M-G just to top up the N content, is a cheap enough solution to any extra N demand I get. Though in hydro, using it as the only N source, is not at all wise. There is too much ammonical N.
I also use Nitric acid at all times. It's about a third N iirc. It's not a big deal, but it's something.
I was looking at Magnesium Nitrate recently, instead of Magnesium Sulphate. I think something like jacks needs the Sulphate, but with the bases I use, I have room for some more Mg in the mix, so it's another route to adding N. My taps calcium could actually use this well I think.

E$Money

To be clear everything I’m saying is assuming hydroponic feeding and RO water. My bad! If you’re in soil or have tap water than my opinions don’t really apply

That 0-20-42 looks amazing as it makes the price dirt cheap. Basically they just pulled out the Magnesium Sulfate. You can buy Epsom salt at Walmart for under $1 per lb.

Also pulling out the Epsom will make it less clumpy and more readily dissolved.

Gooseman23

FloraPro™ Late Bloom is a zero nitrogen bud finishing product with high potassium and magnesium sulfate to encourage prolific flower development and allow growers more versatility to be able to fade nitrogen during the bloom phase.

Yeah, I understand the "secret" - it's typical of this group that believes in label marketing and forum hype rather than understanding what makes a plant tick.

Uncle Ben
I had forgot about this thread man you can’t call masterblend hype

Uncle Ben
man you call everything hype and while I agree with you sometimes you can’t really call masterblend hype when it is $67 for a 25lb bag… it’s just as cheap or cheaper than the none cannabis specific nutrients you recommend. Even that osmocote you keep talking about it costs more than mastblend so just because you don’t use it doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. When people talk about hype it’s about people over charging for cannabis specific nutes when you can pay less and do the same thing. Masterblend is not doing that so no problem with having a cannabis specific nutrient if you’re going to charge a good price just as any other nutrient.

Latest posts

Latest posts