What's new

New England Growers and Medical Users

Snype

Veteran
its mainly to spread out the light and keep heat down.
IF i ran these 4 hoods with 4 - 600w ballasts its twice as much power usage, then running 4 hoods with 2 - 600w ballasts...so, how wouldnt i save money?? its half the power usage, and twice the light coverage... plus 150$ flip box is alot cheaper then a new ballast.

Didn't read the whole conversation so forgive me if I don't know all the info but I assume that you're running a 4x8' tent. If you are and you are calculating the number for 4 x 600's then that would be over kill cause you would be running 75 watts per square foot and that is just throwing watts away cause you wouldn't get anything extra out of them in bud weight. I don't think that you would personally run 4 x 600's in your 4 x 8' tent but you are still making the calculations for something that would not make sense to do so that the stagger makes more sense in your mind. You're not technically using more lamps because when 2 of them are on, the other 2 turn off. I've thought about doing this on a big scale with a minimum of 9 x 1000's, but in the end, it didn't make sense anymore. Maybe you don't have a 4 x 8' tent and I'm miss understanding what you are saying but I think you would like light movers more. Flipping your ballasts off and on over and over isn't good for it and unless you have digital (electric) ballasts, you'll end up using more power to turn your ballasts on. The idea seems nice but you might want to try different reflectors that cover more area to try to maximize your space better. Through my experience in growing, it seems like anything over 50 watts / square foot doesn't translate into more bud. I got these light movers called "Solar Revolution" that allow you to put 3 x 1000's under 8' x 8' of space, instead of using 4 x 1000's. When using this system though, the manufacture suggests that you use Bell Lighting Reflectors because they cover more area then most of the ones that I've seen. I also have a bunch of Light Rail 3.5's which are also really nice. Forgive me if I mistook what you are saying but you also said that you are trying to save watts and you also wanted to put a couple of 400's on the side as well. Can you tell us the exact spacing that the lights would be away from each other and how long the staggerd lights get turned off for before then turn on and the others turn off?

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey snype, hows it going??
its an 8x8 room.. staggering only works good if you have more then one row of lights. but this is mainly a bare bulb grow with staggered hoods above. i spent all day working on the rooms, and my hoods are 15" - 24" away from each other, all close. the flip boxes are set to change hoods every hour. my bare bulbs will not be staggered, thus it'll be more of a bare bulb grow.
i understand that if all hoods were run on their own ballast its better, but this way does save power, add coverage... the coverage isnt as intense at times... but its only one hour intrivals, and my bare bulbs will do the bulk of the work.
seems like the concept isnt for everyone. but it has its advantages... if it turns out i dont like it. O FUCKING WELL.. again, we will see

huggie, they should knock you out.. you'll sleep like a baby :D

Snype

Veteran
its an 8x8 room.. staggering only works good if you have more then one row of lights. but this is mainly a bare bulb grow with staggered hoods above. i spent all day working on the rooms, and my hoods are 15" - 24" away from each other, all close. the flip boxes are set to change hoods every hour. my bare bulbs will not be staggered, thus it'll be more of a bare bulb grow.
i understand that if all hoods were run on their own ballast its better, but this way does save power, add coverage... the coverage isnt as intense at times... but its only one hour intrivals, and my bare bulbs will do the bulk of the work.
seems like the concept isnt for everyone. but it has its advantages... if it turns out i dont like it. O FUCKING WELL.. again, we will see

So how many watts in lights are going to be on at one time in the 8 x 8 room?

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So how many watts in lights are going to be on at one time in the 8 x 8 room?

2 - 600 or 1k's hanging (probably 1k's), not staggered. and with the 4 staggered hoods there will be 2 - 600w lights on at a time.
its a new set up, and my first bare bulb grow. so we'll see how it goes

and i do run electronic ballasts.

-=-
i knew it was coming up!!... just noticed its my post #1,666... the 2 numbers i look out for, that(minus the 1K) and 4:20. :laughing:

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
So you would be using 3200 watt's in that example. This Solar Revolution light mover, uses 3 x 1000's and covers 8' x 8' perfectly and will save you another 200 watts and it'll give you the intensity that you are looking for. Here's a picture of it and some information:

http://www.solarrevolution.com/

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats pretty sick!!
i found a you tube video of it working, looks awesome!

all the power is there, i dont expect failure of any kind in this set up. its a bare bulb setup with added insurance.
the bare bulbs will promote side plant growth. while the staggered lights will be doing their thing on top.

Last edited:

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
thats pretty sick!!
i found a you tube video of it working, looks awesome!

all the power is there, i dont expect failure of any kind in this set up. its a bare bulb setup with added insurance.
the bare bulbs will promote side plant growth. while the staggered lights will be doing their thing on top.

-=-
HAHA,, REALLY?!?
MaynardG_Krebs

change that right now.. before i go to bed..

mgk :hide:

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
touche...its just numbers
done,
sorry im into crazy sorts of metal(where that number is highly promoted)... i do respect others right to religion... but its not for every one :laughing:
sorry if i offened any one.

Doobie Nyce

upsetting the setup
ICMag Donor
lol@666...
I think you are onto something with your light patterns FB... and at the very least you are pushing the limits of our hobby and growing as a grower!! More important to innovate than nail it every time IMO.....Hat's off to you sir!!:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Amber Trich

haha... so I am starting to understand this set up much better now.

I think it would be sweet to run something like that in the hottest part of summer, instead of more AC and fans. and I like snypes idea to use the really big reflectors.

Thanks for explaining yourself to us fatblunt. We needed to know. Keep us updated, Im sure it will be sweetness.

Holy freakin rain much? Hope EC and fam are high and dry...

highsteppa - :wave: thanks for the intro! western foothills.. gorgeous! was the c99 what you were just trimming up? 4 5gallons under 1k?

HYF - that looks really FULL!!!! cant wait to see the blockhead finish out!!!

E

emerald city

Soory bud,not trying to get you going,just trying to understand....Good luck with your set-up.....
I just remember the ole hot rod statement "there is no replacement for displacement."
Heres a thought.Dont the digital ballasts pulse on and off so fast the naked eye cant pick up the cycling??
Peace/oommmmmmmm :ying:

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:jump: im glad you all get it. its a totally different set up, that ive never seen done before, all the light will be there. and i like trying somthing new.
E.C. you must be over your head in water right now!! that rain last night was BRUTAL. im glad it cleared all the snow tho. (now the drive ways clear and i can leave the house.)

G

Guest3498

I remember reading an article in hightimes years ago about dutch growers staggering lights in a similar way to how FB is doing. They managed to get virtually the same yields while using half as much power, wicked smart!! :2cents:

good luck bro!!

InlineMax

Lookin for a purple pheno in out of some chem x purple urkle I just popped. A purple urkel male seeded a room and got gifted some seeds from the chem mom. Dunno what chem pheno it is either but Im basically looking for a purple chem.

Have you completed a cycle with the checkerboard lighting yet?

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lookin for a purple pheno in out of some chem x purple urkle I just popped. A purple urkel male seeded a room and got gifted some seeds from the chem mom. Dunno what chem pheno it is either but Im basically looking for a purple chem.

Have you completed a cycle with the checkerboard lighting yet?

purple chem sounds good... no, not yet. this is the new layout for my new room.