What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Caledonia

Lebanizer

Thanks @dubi

I'm asking because I have them on my balconey and I wanted to know how to go about them so things don't get too conspicuous/crazy. I understand from your answer that some stretch management is going to be in order :) !

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
@Lebanizer New Caledonia #2 has enough long nodes for good light penetration in indoor grows, yet it's very easy to grow and tame indoors, almost like most modern indoor strains, but different in terpenes, effects and personality!

Lebanizer

@dubi, the NC2 I'm not growing indoor but as I mentionned it's kind of outdoor on my balconey (in pots). My main concern is handling the stretch for discretion. I've already grown plenty of Himalayan strains so that should be fine. I just needed to know that it had to be done with the NC2. Gracias for the tips :) !

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
NC 2 is much much easier to grow and to finish properly indoors than P1 Himalayan sativas, which have been grown for centuries only outdoors.

OntologicalTurn

the new caledonians are fine. they continue to flower, producing trichomes and exuding delicious aromas.
IMG_20220813_112556134.jpg

IMG_20220813_112618733.jpg

IMG_20220813_112604479.jpg

the only news is the appearance of platanitos (or nannies I think they call it in English) in one of the branches of the most branched phenotype
IMG_20220813_112515345.jpg

I do not know if it is due to some stress, or if it is common in this variety. In any case, it does not hurt to have more seeds of this strain.

Montuno

...como el Son...
the new caledonians are fine. they continue to flower, producing trichomes and exuding delicious aromas.
View attachment 18744331
View attachment 18744332
View attachment 18744333

the only news is the appearance of platanitos (or nannies I think they call it in English) in one of the branches of the most branched phenotype
View attachment 18744337

I do not know if it is due to some stress, or if it is common in this variety. In any case, it does not hurt to have more seeds of this strain.

¡ Muy tempranas en florar !
¿Podrías recordarme que "versión" de N.C. es?

Very early flowering !

Could you remind me which "version" of N.C. it is ?

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
@OntologicalTurn , Last year I grow New Caledonia1 and Dubi told me this " Inspect carefully your 3 NC females at this stage of first third of flowering, since in case one of them finally decides to become hermie will do it at this stage, so during these intial weeks of flowering inspect frequently the tops and intermediate nodes looking for male balls. If NC females don't show any hermie tendency in this first third part of flowering then they will finish firm and without problems." Although in your case your past the first third as you started late may.

OntologicalTurn

@OntologicalTurn , Last year I grow New Caledonia1 and Dubi told me this " Inspect carefully your 3 NC females at this stage of first third of flowering, since in case one of them finally decides to become hermie will do it at this stage, so during these intial weeks of flowering inspect frequently the tops and intermediate nodes looking for male balls. If NC females don't show any hermie tendency in this first third part of flowering then they will finish firm and without problems." Although in your case your past the first third as you started late may.
Well I haven't seen any male balls, only bananas, which makes me think that it could be some kind of light stress or some other source of stress. In any case, I will be observing to see if any developed male flower appears. Saludos amigo.

Cactus Squatter

I set 5 New Caledonia into flower this morning. Been begging for about 2.5 weeks and plan on doing a seed run if they sex true.
2 definitely smell like males. The “boy stink” on them is clear and they’re 2 nodes and 3 inches taller than the rest.
1 of the possible females has a really nice complex veg smell to it, one is fairly little smell, and the last one was a Runt I decided to let grow through it’s awkward phase. It self topped and stalled at the 2nd node. Turned into 4 mains and finally took off this last week of veg and almost caught up to the others.

I’m going to let any males go long enough to pollinate the girls as well as using NC pollen from an outdoor male I had. Also going to hit 2 Afghan Lemon with the best looking male and see what pops from that cross.

I’ll get some pics up once they start doing something more than being little green shrubs.

Lebanizer

I set 5 New Caledonia into flower this morning. Been begging for about 2.5 weeks and plan on doing a seed run if they sex true.
2 definitely smell like males. The “boy stink” on them is clear and they’re 2 nodes and 3 inches taller than the rest.
What do you mean by that ? Are males supposed to have a smell of their own ?

Cactus Squatter

What do you mean by that ? Are males supposed to have a smell of their own ?
Males usually smell different to me. There’s just a distinct male weed smell they have that females don’t have. Especially when they’re around 3-4 nodes. Not everyone apparently can smell it, and not every plant give it off. My runty one had a weird smell but not the usual “boy” smell.
If you grow a handful of non Fems out, sort them by smell. If a couple share a distinctly different smell mark them and see if they go male later. If they do, that’s the boy smell and you can smell it.
It could also be I’m just a crazy bastard who gets super lucky repeatedly with thinking I can smell the males.

The two New Caledonia that smelled like that to me did turn out to be males. One was really fast to show and flower and was discarded. The other is super slow to start flowering and is staying around to chuck with.
I had one runt that stalled and then took off that was also a faster male and was culled along with 1 early showing herm. Had balls forming on one side and pistils on the other of the same nodes.

I’ve now got the slow to show male and a slow but so far stable female.

Boss Cocky

Really looking forward to growing these out. Dubi mentioned on his interview on the Pot Cast, that the P1 generation had a high female to male ratio. Does anyone know what the ratio is like in the current generation?

Attachments

• 20220819_152354.jpg
    20220819_152354.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48

Kiefcake

Really looking forward to growing these out. Dubi mentioned on his interview on the Pot Cast, that the P1 generation had a high female to male ratio. Does anyone know what the ratio is like in the current generation?
Of the 5 I started, if i remember correctly, 4 were female, and 1 was culled pretty early on for being a weak plant before it showed sex.

Kiefcake

New Caledonia has been quite impressive so far, chopping it down today or tomorrow. Would normally Let it go a few more weeks, but I made a huge mistake adding some supplemental lighting, by plugging it in to the fan cord, so for the last month there has been a light on 24 hours a day, and the hormones are all jacked up.
I dont want it getting any larfier, and it's far enough along to go ahead and take it down.
Nice big spear shaped buds, no idea what the smell is, but it's uniquely different, maybe it's the fois Gras Dubi mentioned.

I could kick my own ass for the lighting mistake, but hey shit happens. Bright side, removing 3 or 4 overgrown plants helps my tent out a lot, and now I know these monster sativas could use some heavy topping before going into flower.

Attachments

• 20220914_074346.jpg
    10.9 MB · Views: 86
  • 20220914_074536.jpg
    9.6 MB · Views: 59
  • 20220914_074416.jpg
    11 MB · Views: 51
  • 20220914_074353.jpg
    12.5 MB · Views: 60

Latest posts

Latest posts