What's new

New Caledonia

Onboard

Hi Onboad, thanks for your input. Yes you are right, the flowering time, I did not consider that. I am in week 8 and from the looks they need another 2-3 weeks.
Do you have any pictures? Would like to see your plant.

Hi Benbee,
Sorry, no pictures were taken.
I tied down the top when they were about 40-50 cm tall, and they reacted very well. The lower branches caught up quickly and they ended up as ca 1m bushes with 5-6 tops each. One got dark purple, almost black. The other one stayed mostly green. They grew under a full-spectrum led (maxibright something 660W).

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Benbee,

I am almost sure that you have New Caledonia 2, after all. NC1 is much slower to flower, I think (see just a few posts above).

I recently grew out two female New Caledonia 2, and I was also surprised by how tall they grew.

But mine also flowered early like yours. And finished early, looked ready at 8 weeks even.

In my case, however, the stretch stopped abruptly at ca three weeks into flower. To the point that both were partly overshadowed by neighbouring (Thai Chi) plants.

I intend to give them another go as soon as I can, because the aromas alone were incredible.
Both had the juicyfruit/tutti frutti, plus the mentally refreshing thai/ sour lemon lime aromas. One developed an onion/sweat background and the other more towards lemon shoe polish. The little I tried so far has had an extremely clean, uplifting effect. A very good quality high, just as described for New Caledonia (1).

Glad you enjoyed so much your New Caledonians Onboard ;) you really got the vibe of terps and effects the strain and its personality, even if you grew the faster flowering sativa/indica version. Hope it encourages you to give a try to the pure sativa (I) version too! Tahnk you very much for your feedback.

Welcome Benbee :) I think you are one of the lucky growers to get one of the few New Caledonia II packs still available through Alchimia. II version is long time ago sold out here at the source. I can confirm you got a legit ACE Seeds pack and that you are growing the faster flowering sativa/indica version, which starts also more compact with wider leaves of evident indica influence, the pure sativa I version is much much wilder hehehhehe

Last edited:

RobFromTX

Seems like a lot of color for a tropical sativa, no? Nice plant, but is this really New Caledonia? I did not receive original packaging from the seller so I have to admit I am a little suspicious. Neither plant exhibits the structure nor the long flowering I was expecting. Not sure what to think...

View attachment 17863830 View attachment 17863831 View attachment 17863832
Such a beautiful sativa. I cant wait to give this one a go later this summer and the high sounds so kind. I hope mine developes all these nice colors like yours

rdc420

I germinated two NCs on 14/2 and four more on 25/2. All the plants showed pre-flowering pistils at exactly 6 weeks. One turned out to be intersexed and the rest were all female. It's almost winter in South Africa but I've been able to maintain a decent environment in a greenhouse.

NC1 and NC2 are eight weeks into flower.

NC1:
IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1408.JPG

NC2:
IMG_1409.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome rdc420 thank you very much for supporting our work. A pleasure to see you growing outdoors this fairly new sativa release (y)
The 2 most advanced ones looks really well developed and enjoying in your garden with your good cares.
How are they on the nose ? Do they start to develop enticing terpenes ?

rdc420

How are they on the nose ? Do they start to develop enticing terpenes ?
I can smell the two advanced ones from about 0.5m away. The smell is hard to describe but I guess one can use the words lemon, floral and peach. The less developed ones can be smelled when I rub the sugar leaves between my fingers.

Each plant has a different structure, bud structure, and a smell. NC3 is quite interesting, since it's bud structure is comprised exclusively of foxtails and it's currently smelling very lemony.

NC3:
IMG_1412.JPG
IMG_1413.JPG

NC4:
IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1415.JPG

NC5:
IMG_1419.JPG
IMG_1418.JPG

Last edited:

Kiefcake

Just finished through this thread after finishing the Honduras one yesterday, and I'm very much looking forward to starting these as soon as they hit the mailbox.

The tall spears look amazing.

I'm thinking I'll go ahead and start all 5 NC, and 4 Honduras at the same time, and figure out how and where I'm going to fit them in. That shouldn't be too big of a problem though, there's one GT and Destroyer that's kinda finishing up, maybe 4 weeks left on those, and 5 Headband x Triangle Kush at different stages of flowering will be selected down to 1 or 2. I will likely go ahead and make final selection on which of the 3 grand daddy purple I've been running for about a year for which one I'm going to keep.
It's always exciting the possibilities of new genetics.

Maybe I'll add another 4x4 tent borrowing one from a cousin. Decisions, decisions.... I'm mentally developing a gameplan, but I have a little time before crossing all of those bridges

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for sharing pics of the ones that started flowering later @rdc420 :) It's going to be a joy to visit your New Caledonian garden during upcoming month, please keep us updated!

Hi @Kiefcake Glad the read and info motivated you enough to start New Caledonia and Honduras sativa soon! ;)

Kiefcake

I'm very motivated! Looks like will be delivered tomorrow.

Usually reading through these threads is how I have gotten interested in other lines, like wanting the PanHaze because of being most trippy, or Tikal because of terps, effect, and yield to name a couple.

While reading through this one I think, I see the Honduras x Panama carries Gasoline terps, that's probably my favorite terp by far is gassy, diesel, chemical scents, which usually carry over to taste. I guess what I'm wanting to know is, is that a pretty high frequency thing with HonPan?

rdc420

I ended up harvesting NC1 at about 8 weeks and I will harvest most of NC2 at 9 weeks of flowering. The pistils are not all brown, but botrytis has started to claim both plants which forced a somewhat early harvest. It's my first time growing in a greenhouse, and I've been battling with humidity. Furthermore, we've been getting a lot of cool and humid weather with not much sunshine, so the bud development is less than it can be. Here's the NC2 again:
IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG

Some seeds germinated while still on the plant!
IMG_1477.JPG

strangebabylon

I ended up harvesting NC1 at about 8 weeks and I will harvest most of NC2 at 9 weeks of flowering. The pistils are not all brown, but botrytis has started to claim both plants which forced a somewhat early harvest. It's my first time growing in a greenhouse, and I've been battling with humidity. Furthermore, we've been getting a lot of cool and humid weather with not much sunshine, so the bud development is less than it can be. Here's the NC2 again:
View attachment 18716065 View attachment 18716069

Some seeds germinated while still on the plant!
View attachment 18716075
Hello! I have ALOT of greenhouses on our farm. All of them have been built by ourselves but some months ago my wife needed more space for her cactuses and i am very very tired of building greenhouses lol.

So we got one that seems to be of the same kind as yours in size 8x3m. It can be found pretty cheap and it is very priceworthy. So priceworthy that i just had the 4x3m version delivered last week. However, the only airflow it has is those small squares. We live in a humid tropical climate so while that is ok for cactuses like my wife grows it wouldnt work for cannabis.

Your post kind of confirmed my suspicion about the airflow of these greenhouses so maybe you can try what i'm about to do myself which is to cut off the wall of the cover, about from where those windows start and replace it with greenhouse micromesh walls that will run all along the side. There are clips out there made for clamping plastic and mesh cover to round poles on greenhouses, these can be used to clamp the original cover and the micromesh together and the clamps should be widely available. The roof part will still have the material that came with the greenhouse.

Probably should add another vertical support of some kind where you can seal the covers together with, like a wooden plank along the wall of the greenhouse. There are already two of those vertical pipes when you get it but one is too low and the other one is too high to be used to seal the plastic and micromesh together.

This will open the sides of the greenhouse to let the wind trough. We use micromesh as walls for our other greenhouses and it works great.

But i dont know how cold you have it, maybe it would be too cold?

I still have mine in the box, just arrived a few days ago.

Last edited:

goingrey

Yesterday I passed some professional polytunnels and what they had done is opened up the ends like a can of beans. For airflow no doubt.

46f70e702ba146e49bc2f6fa58673cee_opt.jpg

Too bad about the mold @rdc420, would have been some huge yielders without it.

Never had a seed sprout on the vine. Read about that possibly happening here just a few days ago and was like "bs" - turns out it's not.

rdc420

Your post kind of confirmed my suspicion about the airflow of these greenhouses so maybe you can try what i'm about to do myself which is to cut off the wall of the cover, about from where those windows start and replace it with greenhouse micromesh walls that will run all along the side. There are clips out there made for clamping plastic and mesh cover to round poles on greenhouses, these can be used to clamp the original cover and the micromesh together and the clamps should be widely available. The roof part will still have the material that came with the greenhouse.
Hmm, that's an interesting idea. Please send me some pics when you execute your plan. I would love to see it.

It drops down to about 10C at night and 20C during the day. If the sun is shining, the RH in the greenhouse is 40% but at night the RH often increases to 99%. I currently have both doors open and I have an oscillating fan that is blowing over all the plants while at the same time venting out some of the air. I've only recently added the fan, and I feel I would have been better off now had I installed the fan earlier in the grow.

Yesterday I passed some professional polytunnels and what they had done is opened up the ends like a can of beans. For airflow no doubt.
Yip this certainly improves the airflow a lot. But if it's 20C with clear skies the greenhouse still gets hot! That's when I run my fan as an exhaust fan to keep temps below 31C.

In other news, NC2 and NC3 has grown some nanners. It might be due to a light leak, but I'm also running a bunch of Bangi Haze plants next to the New Caledonias that don't have bananas.

strangebabylon

Will post some pics once i get to work with it. Gotta raise the ground a bit first to prevent flooding and i think i will go for gravel as floor to keep things clean and dry.

Here we have 29-34c year around, however we have alot of rain 6 months a year so daytime 65-75 RH and night time 80-90+.

Airflow is super important and some indica heavy strains will always start to mold around week 7-8. Sativas are easier since they generally have more airy buds.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi rdc420 i think @strangebabylon point is correct. Try to improve the air flow and air renovation of the greenhouse (and if possible keep the greenhouse as clean as possible and not overcrowded). If seeds are germinating in the buds means there's excessive moisture. Powdery mildew and botrytis also spread fast in such very wet conditions without proper ventilation.

Last edited:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Thanks Costa ;) Glad you are still enjoying there with your New Caledonian harvest.

Some of my last NC buds, with more than 6 months of curing, gone long time ago, sorry for the crappy pic. I really miss a fresh harvest of this sativa, for me New Caledonia's potency and quality of the effects are on par with Haze, yet i consider NC more positive, brighter than Haze which is usually colder. Terps are very different too, NC is super fruity, Haze terps are ....well: Haze terps :) far to be so fruity. I love both. View attachment 18080404
:chin: makes me think what to grow next.

dirtlove

Two unsexed New Caledonia at 8 weeks. Currently in 1gal pots but will be potting them up soon to 3 1/2 gal. Trying to decide if I'm going to top them soon to keep them shorter and bushy. We get some pretty violent winds here that knocked some of my 7ft plants over last year.

new_caledonia_01a_2022-06-02_08-08-00_535.jpeg new_caledonia_01b_2022-06-02_08-08-04_854.jpeg new_caledonia_02a_2022-06-02_08-08-33_053.jpeg new_caledonia_02b_2022-06-02_08-08-38_372.jpeg