What's new

New bill proposed in Colorado will be bad for patients, growers and dispensaries

weekapaug74

What about Felons being barred from opening dispensaries? What kind of bullshit is that? That's another regulation thats supposed to go into effect Jan 1 for Denver. A lot of the people in the scene who actually know what they are doing, and who have been passionate about it since day 1 are convicted felons. A felon can open almost any other kind of business, but somebody who has a felony for marijuana related charges are now being barred from opening business

Will there be an exception to those with marijuana related felonies? or will ANY felon be banned from obtaining a retail tax license for a MMJ dispensary?

I think the "no felons" rule is only for people with felonies in the past five years. I am a convicted felon but it was almost 15 years ago.

I could be misunderstanding the language of the proposed changes, though. Here is Westword's take on the subject:

"As the proposed ordinance now reads, anyone who owns 10 percent of a dispensary is subject to a background check, and no one will be allowed to own a portion of a dispensary if that person "has been convicted of a felony or has completed any portion of a felony sentence within the preceding five years." [Westword]

CaptainTrips

Well, the doctors are the weak link in CA. People rail against those who use bogus conditions to get recs.

People go to see their doctor, to get whatever their drug of choice is... no different with medical mj. Many doctors like said, are not much more than glorfied drug dealers lol.

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A standard tactic in business is for companies to use the government to write legislation to make it more difficult or more expensive to do business, keeping out competition.

This might be similar in that the government is simply impeding medicinal cannabis whenever possible, or it might be other interests who want to limit competition going forward.
Maybe norml or MPP is working behind the scenes like that piece of shit they wrote for Arizona. May be goin out on a limb though.

More likely Romer seeks notoriety. The speaker of the house has stated over and over again that he is not interested in MMJ legislation, the gov was in the same boat until recently. Having your name in the paper everyday is one hell of an incentive for someone whose livelyhood depends on noteriety.

Does anyone know what day this would actually be decided?

And I'm curious if any applications/renewals will be honored that are sent in before the official date of change? Makes me think I should send my renewal in sooner than I was planning.

I'm still not clear on how this will effect small caregivers with less than 10 patients? Anyone here with some insight on that?

Everything I've read speculates that Romer's bill WILL pass within the next 2-3 mos.

Romer's bill will not affect the application/renewal patient process. It is not changing the amendment, it is just changing the LAWS on regulation/enforcement.

This will END small caregivers with fewer than 10 patients. It will Benefit big business dispensaries. You made a comment the other day wondering why the Russians don't whack this guy. Well, it's simple. Romer is the Russian's best friend. It will give them, and the rest of the dispensaries, complete control over the market.

M

milehighmedical

Sorry, I don't fully understand what you're saying. You keep insisting the amendment isn't changing, well in the amendment it says I can caregive for my few patients. HOW is this bill going about eliminating the possibility of continuing to do this?

I apologize if I'm blatantly missing the reason. But the bill says that non-profit cooperatives will be allowed. Right at the beginning. Is there anything else stated in the rest of the bill that says that WON'T be allowed?

Sorry, I don't fully understand what you're saying. You keep insisting the amendment isn't changing, well in the amendment it says I can caregive for my few patients. HOW is this bill going about eliminating the possibility of continuing to do this?

I apologize if I'm blatantly missing the reason. But the bill says that non-profit cooperatives will be allowed. Right at the beginning. Is there anything else stated in the rest of the bill that says that WON'T be allowed?
The bill will restrict you from selling it to your patients. You will only be able to sell to dispensaries. And even then, you will be required to conform to a laundry list of invasive guidelines. Therefore the average caregiver as we know it now will not exist. The patients choices will become limited to expensive dispensaries. Caregivers will go back underground. Lose, Lose.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
You know some coherent regulation now will go a long way to avoiding the clusterfuck situation that happened in CA. CO A20 is very similar to P215. You've got to remember that if we can drive a tractor trailer through the loopholes, so can the prohibitionists.

I'm not saying this bill is 'coherent' regulation, I haven't read it, and probably won't. But I'm on my way to DC because I had to get out of CA because of all the arguing, not just over P215/SB420 but that arguing was a major reason. I was either headed to CO or DC, and DC got the nod because I59 has specific definitions of caregivers, dispensaries, and how poor people are supposed to get their medicine. Also they only have one gov't to deal with, and only one local community so the rednecks in Bumfuck aren't going to be a problem but there's nothing CO can do about that. Believe me after almost 5 years of listening to the bullshit it will be very nice to listen to peace and quiet.

If the industry doesn't self regulate the recoil could hurt.

Baddog40

I think the "no felons" rule is only for people with felonies in the past five years. I am a convicted felon but it was almost 15 years ago.

I could be misunderstanding the language of the proposed changes, though. Here is Westword's take on the subject:

"As the proposed ordinance now reads, anyone who owns 10 percent of a dispensary is subject to a background check, and no one will be allowed to own a portion of a dispensary if that person "has been convicted of a felony or has completed any portion of a felony sentence within the preceding five years." [Westword]

You're confusing the city of Denvers proposed regulations with the state. Under the state proposal there is no 5 year limit.

M

milehighmedical

The bill will restrict you from selling it to your patients. You will only be able to sell to dispensaries. And even then, you will be required to conform to a laundry list of invasive guidelines. Therefore the average caregiver as we know it now will not exist. The patients choices will become limited to expensive dispensaries. Caregivers will go back underground. Lose, Lose.

How about if I don't sell to anyone? Is that acceptable? Am I allowed to provide to my patients free of charge?

My patients are my girlfriend and a few of my closest friends... I would never charge them for herb, even if I wasn't their caregiver.

Are you telling me that I shouldn't worry about this unless I'm trying to make lucrative amounts of money ripping off patients?

No jackass, I'm saying that if a caregiver who grows GOOD herb wants to sell to patients for a fair price rather than making them go to a dispensary and pay $65+tax per 1/8th then you're screwed. You can still give your schwag to whoever you want.

So if somebody charges a monetary fee for their meds they are "ripping off patients?" Lol, that's some truly fucked up logic you're preaching from that soap box of yours.

M

milehighmedical

No jackass, I'm saying that if a caregiver who grows GOOD herb wants to sell to patients for a fair price rather than making them go to a dispensary and pay $65+tax per 1/8th then you're screwed. You can still give your schwag to whoever you want.

So if somebody charges a monetary fee for their meds they are "ripping off patients?" Lol, that's some truly fucked up logic you're preaching from that soap box of yours.

Ok buddy, it's obvious that you're worried about losing your source of easy money and getting a real job with the rest of us. And I'm sorry to hear that's scaring the shit out of you.

Of course charging a fee isn't "ripping off patients" but it would have to be a very low fee, less than $5 a gram. Which I honestly haven't seen. The places that brag about their "fair, low prices" usually still charge as much as street price.

No one forces anyone to buy their herb from a dispensary at $65 an eighth. Long, long before there was ever an amendment 20 everyone who needed it was still getting good herb in Colorado. It's not like these dispensaries magically popped up and started stealing everyone's money. They offer a service, you don't have to go there.

If you are honestly so concerned about all these patients, stop trying to make money off them. Clean and simple.

And honestly, calling the meds I lovingly grow for my patients schwag is a real dick move. You don't even know me? The only thing we can all agree on is that you're too much of an asshole to be growing meds for anyone who actually needs them.

G

guest123

Long, long before there was ever an amendment 20 everyone who needed it was still getting good herb in Colorado.

WoW, that is a crazy statement! There are many sick people not getting quality herb today in CO just like there was yesterday.

Baddog40

Ok buddy, it's obvious that you're worried about losing your source of easy money and getting a real job with the rest of us. And I'm sorry to hear that's scaring the shit out of you.

Of course charging a fee isn't "ripping off patients" but it would have to be a very low fee, less than $5 a gram. Which I honestly haven't seen. The places that brag about their "fair, low prices" usually still charge as much as street price.

No one forces anyone to buy their herb from a dispensary at $65 an eighth. Long, long before there was ever an amendment 20 everyone who needed it was still getting good herb in Colorado. It's not like these dispensaries magically popped up and started stealing everyone's money. They offer a service, you don't have to go there.

If you are honestly so concerned about all these patients, stop trying to make money off them. Clean and simple.

And honestly, calling the meds I lovingly grow for my patients schwag is a real dick move. You don't even know me? The only thing we can all agree on is that you're too much of an asshole to be growing meds for anyone who actually needs them.

Now thats some fucked up thinking you have going on there. Why the hell do you think someone spending thousands and thousands on equipment, their time, their electricity, their nutrients, and their EXPERTISE shouldnt be compensated? EVERYTHING we consume in life someone is compensated for.

When you start going to work for free then I'll listen, in the meantime stop comparing the 5 minutes you spend a day and the $200 you have invested into your 3 plant grow to a commercial operation.

I´m still wondering why folks are thinking this is a big deal? I don´t hear anyone but Romer himself talking positively about this bill, and if anything it sounds like it causes way more problems for everyone than it would ever solve.

Plus, has anyone figured out who is really behind this bill? Politicians don`t do anything unless they are getting paid, so who is shoveling the cash to Romer? Who stands to make money off of his bill?

M

milehighmedical

WoW, that is a crazy statement! There are many sick people not getting quality herb today in CO just like there was yesterday.

Yeah, but not to the extent that we need to get our panties in a bunch. Availability is still leaps and bounds beyond that of most other states in the country. We should be grateful.

Now thats some fucked up thinking you have going on there. Why the hell do you think someone spending thousands and thousands on equipment, their time, their electricity, their nutrients, and their EXPERTISE shouldnt be compensated? EVERYTHING we consume in life someone is compensated for.

When you start going to work for free then I'll listen, in the meantime stop comparing the 5 minutes you spend a day and the $200 you have invested into your 3 plant grow to a commercial operation.

Well first of all, I didn't say they shouldn't be compensated. I said they shouldn't be OVER-compensated. If you'd like to be over-compensated please step into the black-market and get off the medical forums.

I go to work for free all the time, it's called "volunteering". I don't know if you've ever heard of such a thing, but it's what some people do in their free time. You'd have to care about something other than money to be interested though.

And honestly... I've spent thousands upon thousands on equipment and nutrients. Countless working hours. Years studying and learning. Plenty of high electric bills payed. I'm completely with ya here. It doesn't take anywhere near what anyone charges to compensate for that. And that's fine. Just stop complaining that you're getting forced back into the blackmarket. Because that's where you belong.

But that's not the point. And this has gotten way off topic.

I'm going to talk to my lawyer this week and I'll see what he has to say about all this. I'll let you all know after I talk to him.

Yeah, but not to the extent that we need to get our panties in a bunch. Availability is still leaps and bounds beyond that of most other states in the country. We should be grateful.

Well first of all, I didn't say they shouldn't be compensated. I said they shouldn't be OVER-compensated. If you'd like to be over-compensated please step into the black-market and get off the medical forums.

I go to work for free all the time, it's called "volunteering". I don't know if you've ever heard of such a thing, but it's what some people do in their free time. You'd have to care about something other than money to be interested though.

And honestly... I've spent thousands upon thousands on equipment and nutrients. Countless working hours. Years studying and learning. Plenty of high electric bills payed. I'm completely with ya here. It doesn't take anywhere near what anyone charges to compensate for that. And that's fine. Just stop complaining that you're getting forced back into the blackmarket. Because that's where you belong.

But that's not the point. And this has gotten way off topic.

I'm going to talk to my lawyer this week and I'll see what he has to say about all this. I'll let you all know after I talk to him.

You pay a lawyer to advise you on how to freely distribute your meds? Yeah whatever troll. Run along now and stop derailing threads with your ignorance.

Baddog40

Just stop complaining that you're getting forced back into the blackmarket. Because that's where you belong.

I thought people like you got hit by cars crossing the street at a relatively young age, your ability to survive this long with such a handicap is a marvel of nature.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey friends...I will close this thread if it continues on a flamming, name throwing path. I ask please..we can stay on topic. DD