What's new

Nepalese and North Indian

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I hear you, it's hard to say if cannabis is even indiginous to the region. Given the history it's very likely that at least some varieties were exported from the northwest and there isn't a clear divide between indica and sativa, even Pakistani strains are a bit of both. As far as I know there are at least three main types to be found in Nepal, massive farm house hashplants, wild sativas, and the rare Himalayan indicas. They all of course hybridize and dividing them to only three categories is a crude simplification.

I'm specifically after the classic Indian style sativas. Watermelon hashplant was like that, no hint of "indica" what so ever. They're by no means rare but very few seedbanks have offered to sell them.

I'm most familiar with Tanska's Nepal which I consider a farm house variety. The seeds are rather big, gray and very round. The buds can be quite big and there's the occational wider leaved specimen to be found. Take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq6DXEEqpsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQR_uhf_JeE

B

Bob Green

Most sources are saying that all Cannabis is native to N India/Nepal and spread from there throughout the world. Even most Columbian, African, Thai are being traced back to India. Sam S DNA project is very interesting in that matter.

But people are more concerned with "fuck Sam is trying to rule the world with dead seed to make GMO and kill everyone like Dr Doom".

What Kal is saying is that in places like Nepal, and N India is is natural for both Indica and Sativa to be present in the same line. The micro climates of places like Afganistan, Pakistan, etc most likely produced what you know as Indica or WLD not the other way around.

People are buying into this WLD/ NLD thing way too much and have just made it the way they want in their heads. I have seen this debate on Nepalese a few times. People just have to beleave that somehow the gene pool was contaminated and some asshole let a dirty indica inn the mix. But most likely it is just naturally in the middle with phenos that lean more to either side.

But most evidence points to India as the birthplace of cannabis in general and spread around from that geographic location.

DNA does not lie.

Lesnah

@ Bob Green.... I'm guessing it's the Himalayan/Kashmiri/Nepal area where the oldest Cannabis Strains originated.

Interesting to see what Sam will find.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Hi Thule,
There's the Nepali by Derg Corra Collective and a 'Nepali Rukum' by Malberry Seeds (Holy Smoke). Also, Shivas Joy by Herbaria might still be around. If the same goes for Reef's Nepalese Highland, I do not know but it seems as if it's the same as the Nepal Highland by CBG which is (was?) also offered by TTSC. Else, I only have Himalayan varieties (India) on my excel sheet (mostly by RSC). 29-31°N instead of 28°N and often growing at even higher altitude.

Couldn't it be possible that the BLD/WLD trait came from Chinese hemp?
Here's a snapshot from Robert C Clarke - Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany:

Attachments

• Cannabis Evolution & Botany Snapshot.jpg
    Cannabis Evolution & Botany Snapshot.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 21

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I ordered NepalJam and got Nepal Highland seeds instead.

Cannabiogen.

I am eager to grow and flower to see if they mislabeled.

Win/win for me.

Unless they don't pop.

Dammit.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Hi Thule,
There's the Nepali by Derg Corra Collective and a 'Nepali Rukum' by Malberry Seeds (Holy Smoke). Also, Shivas Joy by Herbaria might still be around. If the same goes for Reef's Nepalese Highland, I do not know but it seems as if it's the same as the Nepal Highland by CBG which is (was?) also offered by TTSC. Else, I only have Himalayan varieties (India) on my excel sheet (mostly by RSC). 29-31°N instead of 28°N and often growing at even higher altitude.

Couldn't it be possible that the BLD/WLD trait came from Chinese hemp?
Here's a snapshot from Robert C Clarke - Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany:

Hi, thanks for the heads up on Derg Corra, unfortunately their Nepalese is sold out and tbh a bit too domestic for my liking. Let's see if I can find Malberry's line instead, the one mriko grew looked very nice! Bhutanese would be even better. The one Cbg has is from reeferman, a very nice strain from what I've been told but grows like an indica.

That map is interesting too, but what does PA stand for? Cannabis doesn't grow wild in the Hindu Kush so a Chinese origin is very much a possibility but I'd guess Central Asian hemp plays a role too.

Last edited:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Interesting plants Leocadius! Congrats for a successful reproduction! Is that Terai strain any similar to Bodhi's Nepalese Terai? Anything else you could tell us about it?

My search for a Nepalese sativa turned out empty, there seems to be no extreme Nepalese sativas out there, which is crazy because that's probably one of the most common sativas on the face of the planet.

XbX

i've sent in a bunch of India strains to SB recently...pure Indian genetics, all areas of the country basically...

two landraces...one from the north in the Himalyas and one from a heavily forested area in the south...both sativas...

then the rest are collected from various places, some direcctly from the farmers...

one particular guy in the south west had been growing the same strain for over 40 years, exclusively producing sinse and some smaller plots with seed...

a lot to learn in the subcontinent, if you find the right people...

most of the average weed there is just dirty brown brick weed, but there are some really hot spicy aromatic sativas to find out there...

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
i've sent in a bunch of India strains to SB recently...pure Indian genetics, all areas of the country basically...

two landraces...one from the north in the Himalyas and one from a heavily forested area in the south...both sativas...

then the rest are collected from various places, some direcctly from the farmers...

one particular guy in the south west had been growing the same strain for over 40 years, exclusively producing sinse and some smaller plots with seed...

a lot to learn in the subcontinent, if you find the right people...

most of the average weed there is just dirty brown brick weed, but there are some really hot spicy aromatic sativas to find out there...

How would one go about acquiring these Indian genetics? I do not see them listed on SB.