What's new

Nematodes eating my roots

T

Teddybrae

Get rid of NEMATODES instantly by flushing thru with dilute Molasses. One table spoon per 5 litres (Oh! 5 US Quarts.)

SecondAttempt

I released 25 million SF nematodes into about a dozen ice coffee cups worth of media. They are supposed to surpress Root Knot Nematodes.. who really knows. I will say the SF took out 100% every other critter in the root zone.. some plants are bouncing back pretty well. Some I will likely scrap, root rot has set in.

I’ve been cloning the tops like crazy hoping to get uninfected plants. So I’ll update my success or failure on that later.

As far as where they come from my basement wall is large boulders with hydraulic cement in between them. The cement failed in some place and started flooding the basement. I’m guessing they came in from the yard leaching into the basement. I chipped out all the bad cement and re did the job so moving forward I should be okay, I HOPE!!!

The only other thing I can think is my coco, I didn’t bake the last brick I hydrated, and it’s been sitting in an open tote for months. Moving forward I’m going to source smaller bricks, always bake them, prepare them with boing water in sealed buckets and only prepare what I need.

Been thinking going canna bricks, charcoir cubes or the 6” potpro cubes. I’ve used the canna before it’s great, but those bricks are even too much at a time. I think the potpro cubes hydrate to just under a gallon which might be ideal.

SecondAttempt

The shitty wall

Attachments

• 59BE69FD-9249-48B9-BD61-BB2565A05839.jpg
    59BE69FD-9249-48B9-BD61-BB2565A05839.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 4BD882B7-078A-4E13-A0B3-8FD11039956A.jpg
    4BD882B7-078A-4E13-A0B3-8FD11039956A.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 259D7AF7-62FC-4CFE-A9C3-562CCCAF52EB.jpg
    259D7AF7-62FC-4CFE-A9C3-562CCCAF52EB.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 26

webwiller

I released 25 million SF nematodes into about a dozen ice coffee cups worth of media. They are supposed to surpress Root Knot Nematodes.. who really knows. I will say the SF took out 100% every other critter in the root zone.. some plants are bouncing back pretty well. Some I will likely scrap, root rot has set in.

I’ve been cloning the tops like crazy hoping to get uninfected plants. So I’ll update my success or failure on that later.

As far as where they come from my basement wall is large boulders with hydraulic cement in between them. The cement failed in some place and started flooding the basement. I’m guessing they came in from the yard leaching into the basement. I chipped out all the bad cement and re did the job so moving forward I should be okay, I HOPE!!!

The only other thing I can think is my coco, I didn’t bake the last brick I hydrated, and it’s been sitting in an open tote for months. Moving forward I’m going to source smaller bricks, always bake them, prepare them with boing water in sealed buckets and only prepare what I need.

Been thinking going canna bricks, charcoir cubes or the 6” potpro cubes. I’ve used the canna before it’s great, but those bricks are even too much at a time. I think the potpro cubes hydrate to just under a gallon which might be ideal.

Having mistreated the coco-coir might be the most likely reason imho...the basement cement issue might bring mold issues more than nematodes. Anyway, you fixed that which is good.

I heard A LOT of complaints about issues with non-sterile coco-coir (it's so important I don't really understand how long does it take to sell them pre-sterilized?! Boh!).

I don't believe that your cuttings would be affected. Good luck with those & with the girls that got better, let's work-out some monster out of it! :D

Keep us updated... I'd like to know if the SFs won the final war or how many battles they won/lost. A 25 million army for 12 solo-cups sounds impressive hope the result is, too!

I'd stew/bake the coco-coir from now on, good plan. It's a worse pain having to do with an infestation later than having some more prep work to do.

:wave:

SecondAttempt

Yes, weed dungeon, complete with creepy crawlers.

New England... old ass houses...

Thanks for the support.. I forgot to mention I got ogbiowar Root and Foliar as well as neem seed meal hitting the house today.. to help keep shit clean and healthy moving forward.

Last edited:

SecondAttempt

Wound up scrapping 2.. the rest are doing well.. I’m pretty sure my SF nematodes wiped them out... been uppotting to one gallon smart pots so won’t be able to watch anymore. Probably gonna throw another 50 million SF when they get into their final 3 gallon smarties.

SecondAttempt

They’re back.. fucking bananas. Found them in freshly rooted clones still in rock wool that I had placed in small clear cups. Not subjected to coco yet. So now I think maybe they’re in my rockwool, it’s super old.

Gonna go hard with the OGBiowar since I already have it.. if that doesn’t do it I’ll order more SF nematodes.

jackspratt61

Sugars will help with that..articles are available online. Also if you can get some fine pine sawdust and put in your mix it works best, but you will need to add a bit extra N.