What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need to flush for overfertilizaton advice please

Rtaym22224

I have a plant that’s 18” tall 3 weeks ago it went from its clone cube to a 3 gal fabric pot. Plant looks like it will die if I don’t flush.

Being that the roots aren’t very established how can I put 4-5 gals of distilled ph corrected water without causing root rot?

Rtaym22224

Pics, nutes used, feed schedule, temps, humidity, all this would be helpful information
Let me do my best I keep a grow journal handwritten and regular photographs and I have my environment trends over the last month I’ll give averages

Average temp daytime 77.5. Average relative humidity 68% daytime, Night time temps average 68. Humidity at night averages 50%
760w 48”x48” led grow light with ir+uv and I have a mastery controller for it. One 8” carbon filtered exhaust fan no intake

Running an evaporative humidifier

Running co2 on an atlas 9 average daytime co2 900ppm.

Vpd average .92

So far the only nutes, a lot of bat guano mixed in with the soil and earthworm castings. I fertilized too heavily with fox farm grow big. Plant about two months old growth stunted leaves yellowing and getting crispy.

I took distilled water 3.5 gallons and put It slowly through my 2.4 gal of soil. I’m using grow bags. I ph corrected the water and checked ec I added a minuscule amount of big bloom to each distilled gallon ppm was 225

I just feel like the plant is now waterlogged and I’ll get root rot. How do I prevent that? Plant is under 100% lighting power from a distance but still 700-800 par
I have a fan on it and I’m letting temps creep up. I punctured several holes in the side of the grow bag of th e plant I flushed and got as much runoff out as I could: I tilled the topsoil and soil 6” deep around the root ball to aerate it

It was overfed 9 days ago

I have been lifting the grow bag of the plant I just flushed and squeezing at the base gently getting as much water out as I can. Not much “runoff” happening anymore. I just hope the roots don’t rot from this heavy watering: I have the plant under full 100% lighting with a fan on it is this the right thing to do? My room goes dark at 1am I flushed at 1030am 30 mins ago

It will be in the 90s outside today and sunny. Would the plant recover better in outdoor shade or partial sun than in my grow room?

Did I flush properly? Still practicing with indoor after over a decade of time off growing. If I lose the plant I lose it won’t hurt my feelings.

Attachments

• 98D8AFDD-41F8-4F8B-8875-22F8954A466A.jpeg
    98D8AFDD-41F8-4F8B-8875-22F8954A466A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 106
  • E097B902-26AB-49A5-8073-A11C5B458EA4.jpeg
    E097B902-26AB-49A5-8073-A11C5B458EA4.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 98
  • 43BD2E81-111A-475D-953F-3F74ECA0339C.jpeg
    43BD2E81-111A-475D-953F-3F74ECA0339C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 97
  • 5A192E38-B6E1-408D-A0A6-410757CE09F6.jpeg
    5A192E38-B6E1-408D-A0A6-410757CE09F6.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Killing a plant can be beneficial if you learned what you did wrong, and don't do it again. FoxFarms potting mixes don't need anything but pure water for the first 6 weeks. If you give the plants anything strong, it will burn the hell out of the plants. Using Fox Farms mixes a plant can easily live in a one-gallon pot for 6 weeks without anything but pure water. After six weeks, the one-gallon pot can be up-potted into the flowering pot for another 4 weeks without anything but pure water.. Next time pure water only with Fox Farms Ocean Forest or Happy Frog potting mixes, in the beginning. 😎

Rtaym22224

Killing a plant can be beneficial if you learned what you did wrong, and don't do it again. FoxFarms potting mixes don't need anything but pure water for the first 6 weeks. If you give the plants anything strong, it will burn the hell out of the plants. Using Fox Farms mixes a plant can easily live in a one-gallon pot for 6 weeks without anything but pure water. After six weeks, the one-gallon pot can be up-potted into the flowering pot for another 4 weeks without anything but pure water.. Next time pure water only with Fox Farms Ocean Forest or Happy Frog potting mixes, in the beginning. 😎
Simple enough. I tend to overdo things or try and take care of my plants a little too much sometimes to where I don’t end up with great results. I need to just give ‘em mkee time to drink and grow

Three Berries

'They' say you need 5 times the pot volume of water but I've found that is not enough. You need to flush with some high pH buffered water. 8.0 or so, either Magnesium Carbonate 8.0 or Potassium carbonate 11.0 in RO or distilled. Only a small amount will actually dissolve and the rest will settle out. I use 3 tablespoons per gallon. Takes one or two flushes with that.

The roots will either go or they won't.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Probably much easier to replant it at this point. It will recover much faster. Pull it out of the Hot Soil, rinse off roots, repot into fresh, less rich soil. Water it in lightly, keep your light at 30-40% for a few days, mist it with plain water during the recovery phase. The time it will sit in flushed soil with wet feet will be the same as it will take to start thriving again if repotted.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
'They' say you need 5 times the pot volume of water but I've found that is not enough. You need to flush with some high pH buffered water. 8.0 or so, either Magnesium Carbonate 8.0 or Potassium carbonate 11.0 in RO or distilled. Only a small amount will actually dissolve and the rest will settle out. I use 3 tablespoons per gallon. Takes one or two flushes with that.

The roots will either go or they won't.
Your recommendations are not warranted. 😎

Three Berries

Your recommendations are not warranted. 😎
Well others have the poster throwing it out. I can say if persistent low pH is the problem. What I do will mitigate it enough to make it a great plant.

My Ocean Forest plant that I almost threw away from low pH issues is now my biggest plant ever going into flower last week. Her sister in Happy Frog is going in there tonight. And a cousin is coming out for the harvest.

Rtaym22224

How about getting some proper soil and switching the plant to it? It looks like there is plenty of time to recover.
I applied 1/4 teaspoon alum sulfate to top soil evenly spread. Light watering and my soil ph is now oh 7.1 down from 10.

I did not want to transplant into new soil because these plants are still producing 2-2.5” of new growth a day with less than ideal soil ph.

I am watering heavily with Ph corrected distilled , light light nutes, and MAP .5g / gal in 12 hours

StickyBandit

What strain/type of soil is it?
I have overfed many plants but learning slowly :oops:
Fastest recovery I've had so far is re-potting into coco/perlite mix so re-potting into fresh soil mix is probably your fastest fix for the roots if it's well aerated.
No nutes at all will probably be best if you continue doing what you are doing. Try running a fan on the base if it's staying wet too long.
Good luck :)

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I think the problem with hot soil is it is still hot when you are flowering.

I wanna try some rabbit shit.

Rtaym22224

I’m using fox farm ocean forest with recipe 420 potting soil mixed in, I mixed in 20% perlite, 10% earthworm castings, 15% bat guano, I have hydro clay pebbles at the base of my grow bags. Mychorizhae liberally applied to soil.

Plants are looking much better after adding MAP .5g/gal water and 3% spray. The alum sulfate didn’t harm the plants and An amount about the size of 1/4 teaspoon evenly distributed on the top soil brought my soil ph frkm almost ten to about 7.0. I watered in two gallons of 250ppm 6.7 ph with MAP and cal mag into each 3 gal grow bag.

I have one plant that is dropping from the top down mainly the new branch terminals. Lower branches are not doing this. No other plant is doing this. What does this plant need right now that I’m not giving it?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Root damage or an oxygen poor area around the root feeding that part of the plant.

Reardless of growth rates... you'd still be better off transplanting than trying to fix it. Be sure to fix all this and veg till the soil is back to normal before bloom. The quality differnces are stunning. ;)

Rtaym22224

Root damage or an oxygen poor area around the root feeding that part of the plant.

Reardless of growth rates... you'd still be better off transplanting than trying to fix it. Be sure to fix all this and veg till the soil is back to normal before bloom. The quality differnces are stunning. ;)
Ugh. Thank you. This requires immediate transplant? When I remove the root ball of this plant do I want to scrape mucky soil off of it if I see that? Do I cut any of the root system or remove any of it? When I have it jn a new 3 gal bag of soil how much water do I put in and should I just water around the root ball?

FletchF.Fletch

420club
I see some rasps on the leaves that resemble the damage from Thrips. Could be Spider Mites. I suspect bugs may be slowing their growth rate and stunting their overall health. Inspect your leaves, especially the older lower growth for signs of pests.