What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help with new clones!!! Showing deficiency

The chart

Attachments

• Dyna Gro Feeding Chart-1-2.jpg
    Dyna Gro Feeding Chart-1-2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 12
Also I'd like to note that im hand watering. I end up watering about 1 quart per plant. So i have to prepare my nutrient solution 4 times for 16 plants, 1 gallon per 4 plants. Its really a PITA. I don't want to automate the watering yet because i feel that hand watering puts me in a much more hands on and more intimate relationship with the plants and would bring on more experience since i am still new at all of this.

That being said, what is the best way to water by hand instead of making 1 gallon nutrient solutions 4 times?

Also since we are on the topic of watering, when should i start watering the entire pot. As in, wet the entire coco medium when i water, and when should i start watering until 20% run off? I figured i'd go a little easy on the watering so I dont drown them and let them acclimate to their new pot a bit. I've watered twice so far in their new pot. Its been 2 days and I've watered once per day.

TnTLabs

yes, its the best way to look listen and learn.. keep hand watering!
same conversion, thats why i put ec as well...
dont mind the chart mate, as you are starting out i would just use 3 feeding stages

Veg - clones just rooted.. 600-700ppm / 1.2-1.4EC
Flower - week 1-4 700ppm / 1.4EC
Mid flower - week 5-7 750-800ppm /1.5-1.6EC

when you start with pk after the stretch in week 2-3! you will have to feed about 3/4 strength base nutrients plus the pk to keep those ppms (if you need it)
i wouldnt bother with pk though.. no need if you feed consistantly.
No, no need to precharge that coco if it was already charged, but most importantly what i was saying is you need to have ALL the coco wet right from the beginning...
best now is to wet the whole pot then let them go a touch dry.. so maybe 3-4 days maybe 5 till the next watering... since youd be watering so whole pot yes 20% runoff.. but believe me 10% is totaly sufficiant for future waterings.. you save on water & nutes.. 20% is 10% wasted every time

Could i wet the entire pot with just some RO water until run off and then feed them? Is it necessary to use nutrient water to water until run off? Because i would probably need to use 1 gallon per pot to get run off and that would be 16 gallons which would mean i would have to prepare 16 nutrient solutions! Lol

Also, after 3-5 days have passed and its time for the next watering, would i then start to water every day or multiple times a day or would it still be 3-5 days in between waterings?

Also i need to top them since i plan to do a scrog. I'm afraid to top them right now since they arent doing as well as they should be. Leaves are a much lighter green than i would like. I'm under the imrpession that you shouldn't do any sort of damage the plant unless they are 100% healthy.

What do you guys think? Could or should i top right now or wait? And are they large enough? It will be 3 weeks in 2 days since I've had them as clones.

HHULKK

get a larger container to mix your nutrients in. make 20 gallons one time and water all the plants using the 20 gallons of mixed solution. or make 40 gallons. you don't have to mix a gallon at a time.

TnTLabs

yeah make a big batch once.. no need to do it over and over...
wet the whole pot man.. asap!! and no not with RO.. that will unbalance the coco, always with nutrients.. half stength is minimum, unless you are at the end of the cycle.
But in this case yes you have to make a 1.4EC solution and water the whole pot, best yet find a bucket, fill in nutrient solution and let the pots soak up for 15min, water a little from up top, so the sides are moist to, then put a plastic pot into the bucket where you plant can sit on and water can drip down, after 20 min you put them back into your tent or room... do this for each plant

TnTLabs

like i mentioned you are saturating the pot now and might stress the plants a tiny little, but they will thank you in a few days,
the pot will be heavy and so no need to water for at least 3-4 days after this

TnTLabs

just seen you have these trays... if you have no holes in them then you can just fill the tray and let the plants suck up the nutrient solution! works well

Nope i got holes. So I watered again yesterday. About a 1-1.5 gallons for each pot. Got decent amounts of runoff, probably 30% i would say. The coco is nice and wet now. Used about 600ppm. I'm sure i had a lot of salt built up. I tested the PPM of the runoff and it was 1060ppm. PH of the runoff was around 6-6.2.

You mentioned that coco should never be dry like how mine is and that is should always be somewhat wet/moist. I plan to eventually move on to automatic drippers drain to waste.

I'm wondering how would one keep the entire coco medium wet with drippers? I've seen some drip grow journals and their coco looks dry like mine except for the middle. So is it actually necessary?

chronosync

Well-stoned member
You're gonna try to keep the whole of the pots moist now that you've charged and set the surrounding medium with an appropriate nutrient solution. Your job is to keep the whole pot wet and active while the medium does its cation exchange and hopefully buffers itself while keeping activity in the rootzone of your plants without drowning them.

One reason why small pots work good in coco and to use buffered medium. Uppot when you get sick of feeding them every 12 hrs and in steps, they don't skip a beat.

For this situation just go easy and be patient, give it a week or two for them to fill up the pots and then you'll see what coco grown is all about.

I suggest keeping bulk of pots moist by bottom feeding in trays like TNT said, misting the whole tops of pots to reduce the need for flooding them too much. And also to spot water the plants. Try to give them about what they were drinking before transplant top fed in two or three spills.

Tried to explain the best I can how I would approach. Keep feed consistent at 0.8 - 1.2ec or whatever you decide they need. Early veg mix @ pH 6 and let em root. Then whatch em grow!

TnTLabs

chrono explained well there, you will get the drift in no time! as they are now filling the pots with roots, keep it easy with watering.. lifting a pot now and then can help judge easily

please note the difference between wet/soggy and moist!
so 2 days ago when you watered the whole pot i would guess the pots were heavy and the coco most probably wet.. this is an exception, you will want them moist, like how they probably are now.. try and keep this moisture now by watering eavenly or like how i like to do it let them soak up nutrients from the bottom in a tray
also you might want to give them a little bump if they stay light green for the next 3-4 days, in theory they should green up and new growth should look healthy green.
stick to watering the same solution regularly to get in the flow and just sit back and watch them grow

Thanks for the replies guys. All my new growths on all of my plants are a nice consistent dark green now.

When i first watered them 2 days ago with no run off, yes they were wet. Yesterday prior to watering them again, yes they were moist. It was 2.5 days from when i watered up until i watered again last night. NOW they are extremely wet and soggy, since i watered yesterday night around 3am and practically flushed because each got about 1-1.5 gallons of water to each pot.

So do i continue to water with 10% runoff now? Or since i charged the medium, i only need to keep them moist by lightly watering every day or so?

I really appreciate your help guys, thank you.

corky1968

Veteran
Let them get a little dry before watering them again.

Constant wet roots is not good either.

I only water until a tiny amount runs out.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Testing run off is a great way to chase your tail. There are too many variables, you have no base line of background readings and run off readings are inaccurate by their nature. We are concerned with the nutrient solution in the rootzone.

You need a good shot in the arm of the "Basics".

Read the stickies. Read the breakdown on coco glow wrote on the site ManicBotanix. DJM, bonecarver, HGO, SnowCrash, etc. Each has their own style but a common thread runs through all. Read all they wrote.

Then you'll be set and by that time will hopefully stop feeding clones supplements.

What does your source water read? How is hard water accounted for in hydro? Is this why people claim to feed @ 2.0 + ec and say its great?

Bruah (the new "Brah") I'm the captain of 0.1EC Tapwater Team.

Self appointed captain of an imaginary team. It's really not all that great. With no buffer, pH bounces around like flubber on Ritalin/Red Bull shooters.

I haven't any experience with pure hydroponics but I believe they use RO for the most part.

Every system is different. I'm sure there is some ratio of perlite and vermiculite that would make coco act like peat and manage feeds that high. But that is de-evolution. I believe that word is supposed to be a contraction.

What do you mean by "stop feeding clones supplements"?

I went in to top earlier today and i realized that my nodes are alternating and i wasn't sure where to top :/ I also have preflowers. Read up a bit and realize all this is common in a clone. Not entirely sure where to top though. Some of my plants are taller than others and i plan somewhat make them all the same height. So the taller ones will get a chop at the stem whereas the shorter ones will get the top new growth chopped off. Sounds all right?

I guess ill just choose the 2 closest nodes to each other and chop above that. Plus the tips of the plants have 2 branches that are almost across from each other where the new top growths are coming from because it hasn't grown out far enough yet.

Or maybe i should just FIM them? Not sure what to do here. I could just make a decision but im trying to minimize remorse lol, rather just consider opinions of the more experienced.