What's new

need an experienced advice. 600w hps expanding.MORE CO2 NEEDED?

LostINgreen

Hello guys&gals.
Currently growing photoperiod Gorilla, day #46, VEG. Store soil.
Now using 250w MH, in a month will switch to flowering and 600w GIB advanced HPS with 92000 lumens output.
1m×1m grow tent.
The main question is: should I buy those CO2 indoor cans or sacks so plants will be able to utilize those sun power?
OR it's useless?
Thanks in advance, and some pics for your appetite ;)

Attachments

• 20220713_054157.jpg
    20220713_054157.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 59
  • 20220712_181814.jpg
    20220712_181814.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 62
  • 20220713_054203.jpg
    20220713_054203.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 72
  • 20220713_181909.jpg
    20220713_181909.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 62

Ca++

The extraction rate required to keep the RH in check, stops co2 enrichment being viable.
In order to use enrichment, you need to stop the air exchange, and use machinery to lower the RH.

There is nothing to stop you getting half a box out of that tent. Easily. So no real point adding co2

Cerathule

CO2 needs a closed system with higher temperature & photon flux, and a climate control system. You safe the power for the air outtake and use a dehue instead, with the HID providing the necessary warmth

Three Berries

What I have seen with the bigger HID type bulbs is the actual ballast to lamp socket voltage is not the same as input voltage. Usually a little higher and may be quite a bit higher. Like up to 300v. Most cords are rated for either 300v or 600v.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
What I have seen is people using a regular duty extension cord for the ballast. As for lamp cords, I used a 20' 10guage extension cord for many years on my 1k hps.

snakedope

Dont extend the ballast cord to more then 7ft, it is recommended by the ballast mfg that you dont go over 10ft
CO2 is useless for the hobby grower, more pain then gain, also, you wont need it, you can never reach 2500 ppfd across the whole canopy in order to even utilize it with one 600w bulb, even if its a rather small space like your 1x1
Best bet for you is lowering the bulb as low as u can without having heat stress issues, and rotate the plants you have that each will get equal time directly under the lamp.
Cool tubes can take it a step further in lowering the light more for even more light intensity
But a 600 at 15 inch height is like having a full sun in there so dont worry about a thing, keep the height checked and constant + the heat issues that may arise and your set.

LostINgreen

Dont extend the ballast cord to more then 7ft, it is recommended by the ballast mfg that you dont go over 10ft
CO2 is useless for the hobby grower, more pain then gain, also, you wont need it, you can never reach 2500 ppfd across the whole canopy in order to even utilize it with one 600w bulb, even if its a rather small space like your 1x1
Best bet for you is lowering the bulb as low as u can without having heat stress issues, and rotate the plants you have that each will get equal time directly under the lamp.
Cool tubes can take it a step further in lowering the light more for even more light intensity
But a 600 at 15 inch height is like having a full sun in there so dont worry about a thing, keep the height checked and constant + the heat issues that may arise and your set
you're right. I try to combat 35celsius heat when I put 600w.) I try to make straight cool for lighting, and also tent exhaust separately. if it doesnt help, will wait for colder weather.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The thick cabling allows the voltage to pass with little resistance, and yes 20 foot lamp extensions are fine.

The mfg recommends 10 feet or less because human comprehension of what it requires to be done safely is very low on this globe. ;)

Three Berries

Using the American Wire Gauge tables the wire is usually rated for 250' before downrating. And depends on how the wire is routed/enclosed. You should use 600v rated wire (insulation) though as some HID ballast outputs go over input voltage.

What is the amp rating for 12-gauge wire?
Daniel Dworshak
Consulting Engineer EE, PE (1975–present)Author has 827 answers and 1.1M answer views 3y

Bare in open air - 100 amps or more depending on air flow

These next 3 ratings are if the wire is in a cable or wire in conduit: 60 deg C type TW insulation - 20 amps

75 deg C type THW insulation - 25 amps

90 deg C type THWN-2 insulation - 30 amps

For normal wiring there is a Code exception that says to use 20 amps max in cables like Romex (NMC).

If the insulated wire is in open air or cable tray, Type THWN-2 90 deg C is good for 40 amps. But there is an exception that says the smallest 1/c wire in a tray must be #1/0 or larger.

What you need to get is a copy of is “UGLY’S Electrical References” pocket handbook.

^^^^^^
Best book around for electrical reference. I see they have an app now too...

9781284194531.jpg

Dr.stickerdick

not to be a smart arss
what is "contractor grade wire" ?

you gain absolutely nothing by using 10 AWG
just spending more money
the over current breaker protects to breaker's own value.
only electricians need to concern themselves with those other coulombs Peace