What's new

Need a Electrician....

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You'd be better off using plastic boxes than going thru all that bullshit. Metal boxes are used in concrete and metal buildings where metal conduit is joined to each box and the wiring and boxes are all exposed, That is what this code is referring to. I don't see any conduit being used at all and his boxes are exposed and none of them are joined with metal conduit so none of it is truly code.
But you knew that already because your an electritian, I only went to college for Electronics engineering.

You are giving piss poor, illegal advice. Having worked with engineers for 30 years, I'll take the electricians. Plastic boxes are fine if you are concerned about inadvertent grounding on installation. If you want a safe system long-term, metal wins hands down. Future ground faults will then trip the breaker rather than set up a long, slow burner that takes your house to the ground. That's chief among the reasons that industrial installations are in metal.

Edit: you were posting while I was typing. Glad to see you came around.

E

el Dream Reader

You are giving piss poor, illegal advice. Having worked with engineers for 30 years, I'll take the electricians. Plastic boxes are fine if you are concerned about inadvertent grounding on installation. If you want a safe system long-term, metal wins hands down. Future ground faults will then trip the breaker rather than set up a long, slow burner that takes your house to the ground. That's chief among the reasons that industrial installations are in metal.

I don't mean to sound like a know it all, What I should have said is that the ground wires don't need to be connected if the rest of the wiring is done correctly (unless you are trying to follow code) then his install should look like the picture I posted below, I'm trying to walk thru the install/diagnosis with him, grounding the boxes isn't going to get his lights up and running.

Hopefully madpenguin will come in here and set us all strait.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What I should have said is that the ground wires don't need to be connected if the rest of the wiring is done correctly (unless you are trying to follow code) then his install should look like the picture I posted below, I'm trying to walk thru the install/diagnosis with him, grounding the boxes isn't going to get his lights up and running.
Hopefully madpenguin will come in here and set us all strait.

You do understand that the parent agency for the NEC (National Electrical Code) is the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association)? I always kind of considered the code to be the minimum, not the maximum.

E

el Dream Reader

It's funny how electrical threads get so many differing opinions.

Hey guys, does it look to you like he has a breakerbox that doesn't use an earth ground for the circuits? Do you think he should just leave the ground wires connected to the neutral bar? If it were me I would have my ground wires go to an earth ground.

E

el Dream Reader

You do understand that the parent agency for the NEC (National Electrical Code) is the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association)? I always kind of considered the code to be the minimum, not the maximum.

The thing is that the code changes and trying to use new code on old systems is a struggle. If this panel is placed in the same room as the garden (or anywhere it can get wet) then all the cables from the breakerbox to the panel should be in-wall and from an in-wall outlet to the receptacle boxes should be ran through watertight conduit (according to code). It just depends on how far you really want to go.

A

argoagro

grounding the boxes isn't going to get his lights up and running.

Yes! Let's get his lights up and running! That's what really matters! OP, do you have any coat hangers around? With that and some electrical tape we can get your lights up & running!

I don't know a terrible amount about home wiring, and I am not an electrician nor did I go to school for electrical engineering.

But as soon as I read that he shocked himself, I knew enough to say in my head "He didn't ground something, did he not ground the boxes he arced out on? I could have sworn all metal box's & conduit that contains live wires inside needs to be grounded"

It's not code, it's fucking common knowledge. And you just told him you don't need to ground them. Stay the fuck out of threads titled "I need an electrician" when you are NOT an electrician and your primary goal is 'getting his lights up & running'

E

el Dream Reader

Yes! Let's get his lights up and running! That's what really matters! OP, do you have any coat hangers around? With that and some electrical tape we can get your lights up & running!

I don't know a terrible amount about home wiring, and I am not an electrician nor did I go to school for electrical engineering.

But as soon as I read that he shocked himself, I knew enough to say in my head "He didn't ground something, did he not ground the boxes he arced out on? I could have sworn all metal box's & conduit that contains live wires inside needs to be grounded"

It's not code, it's fucking common knowledge. And you just told him you don't need to ground them. Stay the fuck out of threads titled "I need an electrician" when you are NOT an electrician and your primary goal is 'getting his lights up & running'

Wake up on the wrong side of your boyfriend?
He shocked himself because something is wrong with the wiring or the receptacles, and he didn't test for continuity. If current is running through the boxes grounding the boxes themselves will only complete the circuit, not tell us the actual problem. I believe that the neutral grounding is backfeeding electricity into your circuit or there is a hot lead touching somewhere or you have a faulty receptacle. Testing the existing circuit after verifying the wiring is hooked up will tell us what is causing the problem. In actuality the only advice that should be given is to call a verifiable certified electrician, given the nature of this hobby that usually isn't practical. A walkthru of what he has existing is the only help we can give over a message board other than having him take the entire circuit apart and start over with all new components.

Poopyteabags, I'm sorry if I'm clogging your thread with what is believed to be bad information. I'll go ahead and make my exit now. I'm sure that we could have found your problem going step by step but at this point my only advice is to call a certified electrician. I'm certain you will get it worked out. Peace :tiphat:

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Its ok everyone i gave alot of wrong information at the beginning making everyone have a different answer... all the plugs and junction box's are now grounded and rewired... we have no problems lights are on and doing great thanks again to everyone....

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
Guys...thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I'm not a technical person...I don't know enough to even follow the debate, but thank you for everyone who took the time to help PTB out. When it comes to electricity and house fires, it's serious business. Wish like hell we could have an electrician do this for us, but we just can't for security reasons. Poopy has done a lot of basic wiring, he just needed some help on this one and we're grateful for the responses. You guys rock! Much appreciation:D Good karma to all that helped out:cathug:

E

el Dream Reader

Guys...thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I'm not a technical person...I don't know enough to even follow the debate, but thank you for everyone who took the time to help PTB out. When it comes to electricity and house fires, it's serious business. Wish like hell we could have an electrician do this for us, but we just can't for security reasons. Poopy has done a lot of basic wiring, he just needed some help on this one and we're grateful for the responses. You guys rock! Much appreciation:D Good karma to all that helped out:cathug:

You are good people and I'm glad to be of service, I can't wait to see some threads with the new system growing some fine medicine. Peace to all :wave:

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
We're still running coco, but just upgraded from 6-600s to 1ks:D Room is lit up!! I can't wait to see how good the meds are this round either...lol, we haven't grown in 1ks for a year!

D

DonkDBZ

I agree he would be better off using plastic boxes. But the statement still stands. They need to be bonded.It is truly code. A very basic code every apprentice knows

Yep metal boxes need to be grounded unless using rigid, imc or emt. If yusing metal boxes that are ground you don't even need to hook the ground wire to the receptacle if using selfground type (the ones with the little copper piece on the 6/32 screw

http://www.bicwarehouse.com/grounded-outlet-r42-5252-0ws.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base