What's new

name your experiences w/ famous people

shithawk420

Veteran
Yes, he died last week. He didn't pay me on site, we billed his management company. Every celeb I had contact with in audio typically just wanted free goods . . . :rolleyes: Stevie Wonder was the exception. He always visited us during the AES show (audio engineering) or NAMM and whenever we sent him a sample of whatever he wanted to hear, he bought. At my last AES, a week before I retired he came by to hear our new headphones. A very nice soft spoken man.
oh that is so cool!i love stevie wonder.im only 35 and still listen to his music.and yeah he seems like such a nice guy.i just listened to superstition the other day.seems like you had a pretty cool life.i like your Eric Idle avi by the way

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
One day I got a call from Drake’s producer 40. His real name is Noah Shebib but his music industry handle is 40. Anyways, he wanted to play with a pair of our monitors in Drake’s studio in Toronto. Since it was local to me and since it was Drake, I decided to run them over myself.

The big man wasn’t there but 40 was. He gave me a studio tour – he owned a pair of our smaller monitors already - and then he hit me up for a no charge deal. He claimed that they would be in all of the videos and on Twitter etc etc. I said no but I spun it nicely so I didn’t insult him. I was selling him direct – and not using a dealer – which was something I typically never did but at this calibre, you want things to go right, so I just stroked his ego. He agreed with some protest but I was pretty good at saying no to free shit. Two weeks later, I followed up and the answer was yes, they would buy them. It took another bunch of phone calls and another trip out for a cheque but he did pay eventually.

Six months later, I am working the NAMM show in Anaheim and 40 walked up to me out of the crowd – not recognizing me – and he proceeded to launch into a spiel of why we should endorse him (and Drake) because they use our monitors on all their work and they are in videos and on Twitter and Insta etc etc. Yeah, I heard that before. So, I reminded him that I was the one that sold him six months before and he sheepishly backed off and disappeared into the crowd.

P.S. He has MS and smokes a shitload of herb - which helps him with the disease.

Last edited:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
One day I got a call from Drake’s producer 40. His real name is Noah Shebib but his music industry handle is 40. Anyways, he wanted to play with a pair of our monitors in Drake’s studio in Toronto. Since it was local to me and since it was Drake, I decided to run them over myself.

The big man wasn’t there but 40 was. He gave me a studio tour – he owned a pair of our smaller monitors already - and then he hit me up for a no charge deal. He claimed that they would be in all of the videos and on Twitter etc etc. I said no but I spun it nicely so I didn’t insult him. I was selling him direct – and not using a dealer – which was something I typically never did but at this calibre, you want things to go right, so I just stroked his ego. He agreed with some protest but I was pretty good at saying no to free shit. Two weeks later, I followed up and the answer was yes, they would buy them. It took another bunch of phone calls and another trip out for a cheque but he did pay eventually.

Six months later, I am working the NAMM show in Anaheim and 40 walked up to me out of the crowd – not recognizing me – and he proceeded to launch into a spiel of why we should endorse him (and Drake) because they use our monitors on all their work and they are in videos and on Twitter and Insta etc etc. Yeah, I heard that before. So, I reminded him that I was the one that sold him six months before and he sheepishly backed off and disappeared into the crowd.

P.S. He has MS and smokes a shitload of herb - which helps him with the disease.
I had some back n forth with him the last couple years. An old forum head from San Diego named jeftek moved up there. Took a shitty afghani bullrider cut with him. Somehow squirreled his way into ovo and drake's circle. Next thing you know, they open "Bullrider" in Canada! Lolololololololololololol.
Now, that's a major asshole move, but ovo40 seemed to have zero idea that the brand not only existed, but the "logo" has been in use for 3 fukn decades. (Guaranteed jeftek didn't tell them that either). Now, it took some prodding, but ovo40 did reach out to jerbo from dago, a couple times, and jerbo gave them his blessing. I still think they should've at LEAST acknowledged that the entire thing is a blatant ripoff, or at least that they didn't start it. BUT, homie followed thru and at least contacted jerbo. And at least they aren't lying(last time I checked) about the genetic. The fact that they've never seen, smelled or smoked Bullrider. Just affy Bullrider which got kicked out of San Diego like that asshole thief jeftek

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I once slept with a woman who told me afterwards that she had "partied" with Slash. I felt dirty...

Got drunk and played pool with golfer Ian Baker-Finch. I didn't know who the hell he was at first. He is a better golfer than pool player.

shithawk420

Veteran
I once slept with a woman who told me afterwards that she had "partied" with Slash. I felt dirty...

Got drunk and played pool with golfer Ian Baker-Finch. I didn't know who the hell he was at first. He is a better golfer than pool player.
i dont blame you.slash is over rated.i know tons of guitar playeyers who are better.hell even my dad is better.but my dad has licks ive never heard before.doesnt mean hes great though but he could blow slash away

Brother Nature

Had a friend whose dad was the caretaker for Merle Haggards estate. We went over to meet him as kids, more cause our dads knew who he was, we were only around 12 at the time. Willie Nelson also happened to be there which is a lot cooler now than it was at the time. Didn’t really know I was in the presence of country royalty at the time. They were both pretty down to earth guys. Wish I was older and smoked at the time though, would have been a better story haha.

mexweed

Veteran
my cousin met Jimmy Page at a restaurant he worked at, apparently was buying a hot younger model (this was south beach Miami) lots of drinks and ended up telling her to run along and wait while he chatted with my cousin who is a huge Zeppelin fan for an hour, also met Sean Connery there he ordered red stripes and was really cool

he has also smoked with B Real and Fat Joe

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Another mildly humorous story was the year I stalked Alan Parsons. His first claim to fame was as an assistant engineer on the Beatles' Abbey Road album. Then he did Pink Floyd’s Dark Side, Wings etc etc – which was some of the best engineering work in the 70s. He got the bug to be a performer which led to The Alan Parsons’ Project with numerous albums. Well, by the late 2010’s, to pay some bills, he launched a DVD series – a how-to engineer thing - and he went on the road to promote them. He was probably at NAMM in January but I don’t remember him in that zoo. Famous musicians are a dime a dozen there and I am a pitiful celeb spotter because I don’t really care. He was front and centre at Sweetwater’s GearFest in June though, and I kept bumping into him in the tents and lineups etc all weekend. And then Sunday morning at 6am in Fort Wayne’s tiny airport, we were both stuffed into the same small jet for the hop to Detroit. He kept giving me the evil eye, so I never spoke with him. Then AES came around in October in LA or NYC (I can’t remember which) and there he was again with a booth to sell his shit. And we had more random encounters over the weekend because it is never a big show since it is industry only. And then finally we both attended a dealer run show in Dedham, MA in November. It was a really small show and painfully under-attended, so I finally went over to meet him and to explain that no, I wasn’t actually stalking him. He is a bit of a pompous twit and he dresses like the stereotypical fading 70’s rocker that he is - with a wife to match.

And speaking of Beatles' engineers, I spent a day with Geoff Emerick, when we hosted him to sign his book at AES in LA one year – and he was far, far more personable and interesting . . .

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
Another mildly humorous story was the year I stalked Alan Parsons. His first claim to fame was as an assistant engineer on the Beatle’s Abbey Road album. Then he did Pink Floyd’s Dark Side, Wings etc etc – which was some of the best engineering work in the 70s. He got the bug to be a performer which led to The Alan Parsons’ Project with numerous albums. Well, by the late 2010’s, to pay some bills, he launched a DVD series – a how-to engineer thing - and he went on the road to promote them. He was probably at NAMM in January but I don’t remember him in that zoo. Famous musicians are a dime a dozen there and I am a pitiful celeb spotter because I don’t really care. He was front and centre at Sweetwater’s GearFest in June though, and I kept bumping into him in the tents and lineups etc all weekend. And then Sunday morning at 6am in Fort Wayne’s tiny airport, we were both stuffed into the same small jet for the hop to Detroit. He kept giving me the evil eye, so I never spoke with him. Then AES came around in October in LA or NYC (I can’t remember which) and there he was again with a booth to sell his shit. And we had more random encounters over the weekend because it is never a big show since it is industry only. And then finally we both attended a dealer run show in Dedham, MA in November. It was a really small show and painfully under-attended, so I finally went over to meet him and to explain that no, I wasn’t actually stalking him. He is a bit of a pompous twit and he dresses like the stereotypical fading 70’s rocker that he is - with a wife to match.

And speaking of Beatles engineers, I spent a day with Geoff Emerick, when we hosted him to sign his book at AES in LA one year – and he was far, far more personable and interesting . . .
Jesus christ the irony is too much to bare.so your saying Alan Parson gave you " the eye in the sky" literally? You know,cause of the song? That's hilarious

Hermanthegerman

Alles auf die Barrikaden!
Veteran
The main shopping street of my hometown is straight, you can see for miles ;-). My friend and me were on the way home from a cocktail party. Night, nobody on the street. In 250 - 300 meters away, a tall and a small man came out of the best steak house of town. Like in high noon we came closer, checking each other from far in the dark, closer and than very close. We can´t believe it, it was Roger Daltrey with a bodyguard! My friend and I were huge Who fans and can´t believe it! Roger Daltrey in our province town, we were so astonished that we said not a word. It was 86 or 87. :)

On a Joe Strummer gig in Hamburg, 1999. We were waiting in the hall, it was some time before the gig began. It wasn´t much people 100-150? Than a guy came in, I thought hm, do I know him, from where? Than one guy after the other with their girls came in, and like in a puzzle, it was clear as the were all together it was The Toten Hosen a real great german ex punk band, famous until today. We are in the same age. Later in the gig we were lying in our arms and sang all our favorite Clash songs together.

Hermanthegerman

Alles auf die Barrikaden!
Veteran
Waaay back around 1980 - I was working as security/roadie/general dogsbody for The Clash on a USA tour - I had known them from the London club/pub scene in the mid to late 70's - when they were not so famous - and in 1977 got wed to an American gal - then left England - went stateside and got a green card - due to being married - 3 years or so later The Clash were playing The Warfield theatre on Market Street in San Francisco - and so I went to see them - queuing up outside - waiting to buy a ticket - when Joe Strummer and Mick Jones from The Clash saw me - recognised me from years before in London - and gave me a free pass to see the show - they invited me backstage and asked me what I was currently doing in the USA -

- The week before this chance meeting - I had walked into the U.S. Marine Corps recruitment depot on Kearney Street in S.F. - and decided that I wanted to join up - went thru a physical/mental check over at Oakland Naval Base - and was due to be sworn in - then taken down to San Diego for 13 weeks basic training on the following Monday
- The Clash were playing on the Sunday - and I told them backstage that I was joining the US Marines the following day - and they all thought that it was not a good idea - and asked me why I was doing this - and I said ' It's $700 per month pay - and all the food and exercise I would need - plus a roof over my head - (I was just about to get evicted from my little apartment on the corner of 2nd and Clement St - and was really down on my luck at that time financially) -

In front of a journalist from Rolling Stone magazine Mick Jones said that The Clash would hire me for $700 per week - if I would not join The Marines - and come work on this tour for them - so it was a no-brainer for me - and I agreed - and that night flew down to Los Angeles with the band to play the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium -

- Then onto Detroit - where I worked at backstage security - and met some fella who told me he was famous called Ted Nugent - who was determined to jam with The Clash on stage - and tried to get past me into their dressing room - to ask them if it was OK to do so - he was so full of himself - pushy and rude to me - saying stuff like 'Do you know who I am!' - 'Detroit is my town!' - blah-blah-blah - shouting at me - with a very condescending attitude - full of nasty expletives - he looked like Jesus - on meth -

- So I told him to quieten down - and then I would ask The Clash if they would like to meet him - knocked on their dressing room door - and was let in to tell them that 'Some very rude bloke called Ted Nugget - is insisting that he should jam with them on stage' - I had never heard of him before - and that he looked like some sorta freaked out Jesus - kinda aggressive - and demanding - so Mick told me to tell him to fuck off - he wasnt wanted - which I happily did -

Ohh his entitled self got even more pissed off - and as he was ejected/left the back stage area - he threatened to come back with a machine gun - and shoot me - lol - which never happened - what a silly sod -
Thanks for telling the story Gypsy! 👍

3487.jpg

experienced

I once found myself at a Service Station food counter with a Celebrity. I looked at him. He looked at me. I said: "G'day." He said : "G'day."

I can't recall his name.

I am SO PLEASED about this ...