What's new

NAIL Choice for Oil/Wax - Glass or Titanium?

NAIL Choice for Oil/Wax - Glass or Titanium?

• Glass - Classic is best!

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Titanium - Modern Tech rules!

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Never used a nail but want to.

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • What is this wax/oil you speak of?

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

ReelBusy1

Breeder
ICMag Donor
So which Nail materials do you prefer for smoking/vaping your Oil/Wax - Glass or Titanium?

I have both but tend to use the glass most (lazyness?) but I do like the Titanium for its indestructibility.

We could discuss torches here too. :)

dope_roor

titanium nails and butane powered torches (propane, acetylene, and oxy torches result in oxidation of the nail and makes it chalky)

Ai Ze

titanium gets inhaled, nice way to ruin your health
in the last 20 years we "learned" how bad aluminium is (alzheimer and such), titanium aint better .. just not so well explored

only glass, everything else is hazardous

Bullfrog44

Veteran
I like the metal nails better. I just bought some at the hemp Expo in Oakland and I love it. I find the glass heats up too fast and your oil can drip right off the metal tray. That also causes little drops of hash potentially on the floor that is really hard to clean up. The metal nails seem to heat slower and take longer to cool, thus keeping the oil from pooling up too fast and sliding right off.

As far as torches, get a butane torch. Like one that is used for soldering copper pipes together. Mapp gas also works well, but make sure to get a good tip for it. Also, since this is a low quality butane I heat the back end of the skillet so no contaminants come in contact with my hash.

What about you? What are you thoughts?

BTW - I don't think titanium gets vaporized at these temperatures.

We use our glass nail when trying out a fresh batch of oil for taste purposes and the titanium nail for the big dabs or for dab drops due to the larger surface area.
Overall OIL ROCKS!

i didnt see an option for quartz nails wich i really like but they get kind of torn up so you gotta replace for effectiveness but that could be just me and all the oil i smoke...

Ai Ze

BTW - I don't think titanium gets vaporized at these temperatures.

i bet you could tell the difference between a titanium and copper pipe or a aluminium pipe and a steel pipe or .. (insert metal of choice) with closed eyes (like all of us here)

and why, bc each "tastes" different, and well that "taste" are small atomic size given off particles which are dangerous when inhaled

titanium has its excellent uses, without a doubt, just not inhaled .. similiar to water ...

glass is tasteless compared to metals and by that a lot safer

dope_roor

titanium gets inhaled, nice way to ruin your health
in the last 20 years we "learned" how bad aluminium is (alzheimer and such), titanium aint better .. just not so well explored

only glass, everything else is hazardous

god i hate hippie paranoia

if you wanna be scared, powdered boro is also horrible for your health

not that ANY of it is relevant to our discussion (including the myth that ti is inhaled)

QTS

As a glassblower I've been wondering about the hazards of vaping off of glass for quite a while now. There is a reason that people who melt glass should have good ventilation systems, pretty much so they don't inhale harmful vapors and poison themselves. Even scientific glassblowers that only work with clear borosilicate and quartz glasses have vent hoods and fans pulling fumes away from themselves. I'm pretty sure a heated up glass nail is NOT inert and is most definitely off-gassing many dangerous fumes. On the other hand, one reason HashMastaKut went with Ti in the first place when he came up with his design was its inert nature at reasonably high temperatures, like something up to 1,000*f.

For me, it's Ti or nothin. And if yer around, HMK, sup!

Ai Ze

god i hate hippie paranoia

if you wanna be scared, powdered boro is also horrible for your health

not that ANY of it is relevant to our discussion (including the myth that ti is inhaled)

thx for your insightful contribution

any sources for your "myth", or just a brainfart ?

ReelBusy1

Breeder
ICMag Donor
As a glassblower I've been wondering about the hazards of vaping off of glass for quite a while now. There is a reason that people who melt glass should have good ventilation systems, pretty much so they don't inhale harmful vapors and poison themselves. Even scientific glassblowers that only work with clear borosilicate and quartz glasses have vent hoods and fans pulling fumes away from themselves. I'm pretty sure a heated up glass nail is NOT inert and is most definitely off-gassing many dangerous fumes. On the other hand, one reason HashMastaKut went with Ti in the first place when he came up with his design was its inert nature at reasonably high temperatures, like something up to 1,000*f.

For me, it's Ti or nothin. And if yer around, HMK, sup!

we have been distributing a line of hand blown glass nails to all our CA dispensaries and have added the Ti to the line now too.
IMHO oil and wax are the future of smoking.
Our chemical tests on the liquid oxygen wax come back at 65-75% THC depending on the strain.
How can you compare that experience to regular flower?
So now it's about finding the best, purest delivery system.
That's why I want to know what everyone thinks about all this.

QTS

we have been distributing a line of hand blown glass nails to all our CA dispensaries and have added the Ti to the line now too.
IMHO oil and wax are the future of smoking.
Our chemical tests on the liquid oxygen wax come back at 65-75% THC depending on the strain.
How can you compare that experience to regular flower?
So now it's about finding the best, purest delivery system.
That's why I want to know what everyone thinks about all this.

Where in my post did I say anything about extracts vs. flowers? I don't smoke herb much anymore these days, strickly vaping concentrates off of Ti. I was stating my belief that titanium is a more inert, safer material to heat and vape off of than borosilicate or quartz glasses.

Latest posts

Latest posts