What's new

MZ12X IN USE!

And this is why they are going to just make it all illegal without inspections and license. Things feel safe to people who have experience with a process but never learned the fire safety requirements. They just keep pushing on until forced to stop or they learn the hard way. The engineering is complicated when people don't take the time to learn it.

Please go with engineering and NFPA standards and not what feels safe. These standards are real and helpful but only if you understand them.

And this is why they are going to just make it all illegal without inspections and license. Things feel safe to people who have experience with a process but never learned the fire safety requirements. They just keep pushing on until forced to stop or they learn the hard way. The engineering is complicated when people don't take the time to learn it.

Please go with engineering and NFPA standards and not what feels safe. These standards are real and helpful but only if you understand them.

I don't think many people here understand dimethyl ether very well or are acquainted with it enough to understand its simplicity as a cannabinoid/terpene/lipid extractant. Just a few months ago, everyone thought it was di ethyl ether and formed explosive peroxides because of faulty msds labeling. As soon as Janie from Ideal extraction solutions returns my emails this week, i will have more information for us all as i inquired: "if they are selling it to labs", "who is currently using it", and also "how they are claiming it to be state certified if it is not on any gov websites affirming this" , as well as there remarks on "combustibility/explosivity".

I can't speak for them, but as for myself, i started extracting with 8 bag extraction bubble bag kits 5 years ago, then qwiso washes, then i moved onto butane afterwards for a few years, and given the angst against it, I recently (last year) switched to dimethyl ether. I have already implied that we don't need to make new federal laws for arresting people making hash, but educational classes teaching others how to operate with and properly handle these solvents. I agree that those standards you mentioned are helpful, just as hands on experience is helpful in the field. Shortening the window of potential risk and hazard is key. When open blasting, Butane takes a while to properly extract different terpene profiles, and dimethyl ether does not. Minimizing the exposure times of any flammable solvent to any potential ignition sources to just a few seconds is something butane (nor any other solvent for that matter) simply can not do. Under Normal temps Dimethyl Ether's vanishing/evaporation point is almost as instant from the point it leaves the can. Butane is a heavy noble gas that lingers for a while afterwards and pools up in gaseous clouds, often the source of these news reports lol. Ethanol (IE 191 Everclear) takes a while to evaporate as well, both of those are significant window/time frame increases for potential hazards that dimethyl ether rapidly overcomes. Personally, for the at home extractor, i can attest to its simplicity and effectiveness at fully extracting all the plant has to offer from its oil content, in a matter of seconds. A real "Quick Wash Solvent" that is non toxic and already used around the world for the exact purpose of lipid removal.

Ha did you seriously just say that butane is a noble gas? Really? Yet YOU don't think people here understand DME. Interesting that you advocate for a solvent used for "lipid" removal considering how most of us are trying to extract cannabinoids and not lipids. I don't require emails back from sales reps to understand DME's combustibility. It can be gleaned from its properties which are readily available from a variety of resources that are not benefiting from the sale of it as a product. The fact that you apparently do makes your subpar assessment of this generally informed forum comical at best.

Butane is a heavy noble gas

The noble gases are: helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, and radon. Please refer to what a noble gas is. Tree much of the above does not make sense to me.

On the simplest level the same safety requirements for any liquid with a flash point of -40c needs to be followed. This is the same range as gasoline. Acetone has a flash point of -20c but the same requirements would also apply. It does not matter if you create flammable or explosive conditions for 30 secs or 3 min - both will give the same results.

A solvent off gassing to vapor very quickly only makes it more dangerous. I will point you to the NFPA for further research. That is likely the reason the flash point is so low compared to ETOH.

Flash point calculation is very complex. It accounts for many issues including evaporation rate, reaction rate, molecule behavior, is available oxygen created and many other factors. You can think of flash point as a scale of how likely things are to create a flammable or explosive mixture. That is not what flash points are but you could think of it that way.

I am just saying DME requires the fire precautions of a solvent with a -40c flash point. People should stop trying to pass it off as safer to use.

I am dropping out of this one unless you have a specific question. Best of luck!

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think many people here understand dimethyl ether very well or are acquainted with it enough to understand its simplicity as a cannabinoid/terpene/lipid extractant. Just a few months ago, everyone thought it was di ethyl ether and formed explosive peroxides because of faulty msds labeling. As soon as Janie from Ideal extraction solutions returns my emails this week, i will have more information for us all as i inquired: "if they are selling it to labs", "who is currently using it", and also "how they are claiming it to be state certified if it is not on any gov websites affirming this" , as well as there remarks on "combustibility/explosivity".

I can't speak for them, but as for myself, i started extracting with 8 bag extraction bubble bag kits 5 years ago, then qwiso washes, then i moved onto butane afterwards for a few years, and given the angst against it, I recently (last year) switched to dimethyl ether. I have already implied that we don't need to make new federal laws for arresting people making hash, but educational classes teaching others how to operate with and properly handle these solvents. I agree that those standards you mentioned are helpful, just as hands on experience is helpful in the field. Shortening the window of potential risk and hazard is key. When open blasting, Butane takes a while to properly extract different terpene profiles, and dimethyl ether does not. Minimizing the exposure times of any flammable solvent to any potential ignition sources to just a few seconds is something butane (nor any other solvent for that matter) simply can not do. Under Normal temps Dimethyl Ether's vanishing/evaporation point is almost as instant from the point it leaves the can. Butane is a heavy noble gas that lingers for a while afterwards and pools up in gaseous clouds, often the source of these news reports lol. Ethanol (IE 191 Everclear) takes a while to evaporate as well, both of those are significant window/time frame increases for potential hazards that dimethyl ether rapidly overcomes. Personally, for the at home extractor, i can attest to its simplicity and effectiveness at fully extracting all the plant has to offer from its oil content, in a matter of seconds. A real "Quick Wash Solvent" that is non toxic and already used around the world for the exact purpose of lipid removal.

Please refer "Janie from Ideal extraction solutions" directly to me, maybe that's a straighter path to getting some exemplary CLS testing done.

Keep your chin up ts! Your fighting the good fight afaik. :dance013:

Keep your chin up ts! Your fighting the good fight afaik. :dance013:

The good fight? What is good about pushing something as being safe as a fire hazard based on his "feelings" instead of facts and physics? This is the same logic that says global warming is not real just because some people really don't want it to be.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The good fight? What is good about pushing something as being safe as a fire hazard based on his "feelings" instead of facts and physics? This is the same logic that says global warming is not real just because some people really don't want it to be.

Hey all knowing GO, ;-) my inquiring mind wants to know if DME has potential in an active CLS system, and there seems to be some resistance towards finding that out. Things were going nowhere until ts posted his video of a DME extraction using dry ice that produced some clear oil, so it has potential to directly compete with butane and propane. Your statement ignores that I've already posted concerning the reality of it's flammability. Can we get back to DME CLS testing?

Is see no reason not to try it when pumps are available to test. PTFE again seems to be the seal of choice. The stuff does seem to have potential but is in line with butane on danger.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in every post i linked and information provided here they specify both "alcohol and ethanol" and also, in the new HB they specify "EXCLUDING ALL FORMS OF ALCOHOL AND ETHANOL"
I was practically quoting word for word what every link, article, and bill has specified, it makes perfect sense when you look at it like that lol

Those who have been around since the onslaught of Dr Z's offerings, know that he didn't and hasn't done a credible analysis of the dangers of his original "non-flammable" mixture, nor the Dimethyl Ether.

To rely on his website for technical data to support arguments that favor MZ12X, is unlikely to sway this audience.

Both Dimethyl Ether, which is an ether, not an alcohol, and butane, which is a simple alkane, are flammable and explosive under the right conditions.

Di means two, and Methyl means one carbon, so Dimethyl Eth(er) has two carbons, with the oxygen atom stuffed between them, as opposed to Ethan(ol), which has two carbons with the oxygen atom hanging on one end. All of the other bonds are Hydrogen.

Buta(ne) has four carbons, 10 hydrogens, and no oxygen molecule in the chain. It draws its oxygen for combustion from the atmosphere.

Is there anyone on this forum to whom molecules of oxygen, carbon, and hydrogen, or carbon and hydrogen appear non flammable or non explosive when vaporized???

May we all agree that non-flammability are not any of their attributes and acknowledge that open blasting with either exposes the operator to hazards?

Sooooo, how broad a window do each of the three afore mentioned solvents open, from an explosive mixture range?

https://www.mathesongas.com/pdfs/products/Lower-(LEL)-&-Upper-(UEL)-Explosive-Limits-.pdf

Butane is explosive between 1.8 and 8.4% mixed with atmosphere containing about 21% oxygen. It won't ignite above 8.4%, because it is too rich a mixture.

How about alcoh(ols) or eth(ers), with an oxygen molecule handily built in???

Ethanol is explosive between 3.3 and 19% and Dimethyl Ether is explosive between 3.4 and 27%.

From my personal perspective, until we have a viable way to recycle DME, it presents more of a hazard than Butane.

Anyone noting an explosion using a closed loop butane system, are invited to supply the supporting evidence, so that we might learn from the details, as well as note there is clearly not a rash of exploding CLS's or the stories would be as rampant as the ones about "BHOtards" blowing them selves and others up, open blasting inside or without adequate safety precautions.

I also suggest perspective when reviewing merchants claims for their products, and that you vet them before embracing them as gospel. The farmer prays for rain on the same day that the traveler prays for good weather................

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for staying on point GW, I had a rough night, and didn't care to take a scathing this morning... ;-))

The marketing for MZ12X has been, and continues to be, atrocious.

DME seems to me to be an excellent solvent with vast potential as a replacement for hexane in the food processing industry. As a personal example, I just bought some TVP from Amazon and found the reviewer's main bitch was the hexane residuals from defatting.

MEMED

So ive been sick. Having anxiety flareups, and general bullshit. Im happy we are starting to scratch this topic up. Ive not ordered the DME yet. Im thinking ill pause on ordering the case, so's I can rest up, get my mind right, study, and take in what you guys have to input on the subject. Im impulsive. Its not safe. Must learn.

I received emails back this week from Janie @ Ideal Extraction Solutions, she claims that she has emails from Matt Eaton of the Colorado Department of Revenue's medical marijuana enforcement division, ensuring that the chemical composition of dimethyl ether is safe to use and to sell to Licensed MIPS facilities and that she will share the email she has from the CO MED with you if you are an owner, partner or listed on the operations agreement for any licensed MIP (Marijuana Infused Product) in Colorado. This is a requirement to have in a licensed facility, any approvals or clarifications given to a facility this documentation has to be readily available for the investigators.

Yes, funny story, i was so paranoid high the other day from this Jack Herer Nug Run shatter that i made, that i cleaned up my entire house, deleted all my videos (gaming and growing) on youtube, facebook, etc. The reason for this is that....I'm pretty decent at a few popular games (on PS4 and Wii U) & I had recently read articles about "swatting", where some punk ass kids got beat in some popular video games i play, and how they might hack your IP and using fake caller id aps and other scripts to make a false call 911 and these innocent people get raided by the local swat team, its a fucked up situation & my channel was originally only video game based, and then i started adding grow guides/ teks/ dab videos etc. to it recently and i changed the channel theme to "Where Growing & Gaming Go Hand in Hand" :tiphat: but after discovering so many fucked up situations/realities ... and being so ridiculously paranoid high on a sativa dominant pheno! i reached such a level of introspection, realized that i didn't wanna risk anything, and deleted the lot of it! :woohoo: Dimethyl ether is great and all, but solvents in general are a hassle and time consuming... for me the future of medicinal extractions isnt gonna be solvent based and TBH im in love with the rosin tek now hahahaha. Im getting a small scale pneumatic vulcaniser (heat press) and joining that train of thought for a while. There will always be a spot in my heart for the years spent practicing the art of solvent based extractions.
I just wanted to drop in an update everyone here about the legitimacy of MZ12X and what i had heard from my local supplier of Dimethyl Ether. It is approved in the state of Colorado for sale and use for medical cannabis extractions in MIPS facilities, regardless of the current outdated information, they have emails and written consent from the MMJ Division inspector etc. Contact Janie@IdealExtractionSolutions for copies of these emails if you are interested and you run a registered lab, as you will need this most recent information posted for inspectors visiting your Dimethyl Ether Extraction Center.

Thumper4drums

Hey Dybert. A quick question about the bio-assay you did using MZ12X. Would it be possible to use De-carboxylation to turn the 35% THCA in your assay into THC, BEFORE extraction ? If you can, then theoretically you could raise the THC content up to 80 % or better ?? Very curious !