What's new

mycorrhizae with organics

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Again, why all the speculation & not a single controlled test?

I've never noticed any negative effects from higher N & P on the overall grow, all are always inoculated several times early.
Could it be the positive benefits from the higher N/P simply outweigh any negative effects on the herd?
I always have a ton of available N starting out, plus ample available P.

Is there anything to SEE? SampleA had high N/P SampleB had low?
Theorizing is fun n all, but what are the performance results?
I wanna see'em racin' for pinks :)

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
troll? nonsense? from the squash lady? lol go take yer meds...

Again, it was a perfectly legit question the first time.
Of course, I was assuming this is all heading towards improving our growing methods, thus our plants PERFORMANCE!
OR
are we just being cheap bastards trying not to pay for Myco-bac?

Its real simple... Which performs better on MJ?

maryjohn

Veteran
moderators please take care of the troll. it contributes nothing.

-"the squash lady" (i like it!) Notice I refer to my wife often. Can you handle it?

there is a difference between intending to contribute and fucking up like me, and intending to start fights like you, chef troll. Go burn another dish.

If you are a lurking newbie: never demand an experiment. offer to do it yourself, mention it once, or don't say anything. Don't be a troll. Trolls waste everybody's time in a quest for human interaction probably desperately missing or deficient in their own lives. Also don't be like me. Ignore trolls and deny them what they seek.

maryjohn

Veteran
found these fruiting bodies outside today. they seem to grow along the root lines of a tree stump. it's a goodly stump. should I culture them for my own soils?

a53aa8bb.jpg

maryjohn

Veteran
wow nice plants!

could you do one little thing for me? I'd like to see a picture with an upside down shoe. can you do that?

that is so nice, I'd like to be able to tell my friends I really know the guy who grew them, and they tend to accuse me of bullshitting.

happyhi

Invaginate

Invaginate

sounds good to me HH except I am not sure the plant demand thing goes the way it is explained to me so far. seems a bit too tidy, and I never find out which nutrients we are talking about and what has been confirmed. It just makes too much sense to be entirely true... know what I mean? it's the narrative that bugs me past a certain point.

scientific terms are overrated. "mycorrhizae": ORIGIN late 19th cent.: modern Latin, from myco- [of fungi] + Greek rhiza ‘root.’

thus: root fungus is a good english word that reaches people ignorant of the subject without extensive knowledge of romance languages or training in the classics or etymology of english words.

while we're on words, this is from a little blurb on AM :

yes, he said "invaginate". you figure it out.

Now that is a word to remember or maybe forget, invaginate! wow:yoinks:
seems like a great deal of what is discussed regarding the mike's is an evolving science. the more i read about it the more i realize i don't know
much and even those that do don't necessarily agree.

Does the fungus need to be established before the application of ACT?
without the Fungus properly established is the application of ACT
worthless?

Peace/hh

happyhi

Don't mess with success

Don't mess with success

I used mike this year and had good results in the ground. My container grows suffered tho. Was it because of mike? I don't know. I have read pros and cons on mike, dolomite lime, every different soil ad nauseum. My only controlled experiments were with soils and FFOF crushed everything else. I did not use dolomite lime this year and did use mike. Did that account for football sized buds and six pound plants? I don't know. I grew organic with only a cup of phophorus rich seabird guano once a week in flower only. One cup per fifty gallons in a tea. I have read controlled studies on dolomite lime and corn growth and decided against using it. My water seemed to have enough calcium and magnesium in it. I'd rather be in control of the ph. Each person is going to have variables . Especially when it comes to their water supply.

P.S. Feel free to view my albums

whatever you're doing keep it up cause that is some beautiful shit!:woohoo:

Peace/HH

V

vonforne

seems like a great deal of what is discussed regarding the mike's is an evolving science. the more i read about it the more i realize i don't know
much and even those that do don't necessarily agree.

I was thinking the same thing. I just got up for something to drink and .........read part of this thread. Now I will never get back to sleep...................thanks guys and gals.

V:wallbash:

O

otherwhitemeat

Wow, this is a great thread. Ganja, I would like to to thank you for your detailed contributions and encourage more of the same. I follow you and I am really enjoying the discussion here...that goes for Jay and MM too; you guys always have such great info. K+ for all.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Love this thread.

Maryjohn, it's widely-acccepted that most fungi that grow on trees are toxic to humans, I know it doesn't answer your question, but I seriously doubt anyone is trying to grow actual mushrooms in their medium, especially poisonous ones! I'd vote hell no.

maryjohn

Veteran
scary! I want mushrooms in my soil, but not poisonous ones. I had some in one of my worm bins but no more.

I want them because.... i like them.

maryjohn

Veteran
Love this thread.

Maryjohn, it's widely-acccepted that most fungi that grow on trees are toxic to humans, I know it doesn't answer your question, but I seriously doubt anyone is trying to grow actual mushrooms in their medium, especially poisonous ones! I'd vote hell no.

wait a minute! don't shitake mushrooms grow on dead trees?

V

vonforne

Love this thread.

In Mo when I was a kid my Uncle used to eat one from dead trees. Elephant Ear I think he called it.

And in Germany where I live they fall out for mushroom hunting. There are hundreds here. We have very old forests and of course that iswhere the shrooms arefound.

So, I disagree with the wording of that phrase.

MOST fungi that grow in or on a tree COULD be........just like all mushrooms.

V

quadracer

Love this thread.

There are lots of edible fungi that grow off of dead or decaying trees, and lots of edible fungi that grow off of wood chips and wood debris :) Oyster, Shitakke, Chicken of the woods, Hen of the woods, the list goes on.

I am trying to grow mushrooms in my medium, and I have found quite a few species growing out of the horse dung outside, even one hallucinogenic species.

Rogerrabbit, who is an expert mushroom grower, has several posts on using P. Cubensis in the soil.

Panaeolus Antillarum

Panaeolus Cinctulus

quadracer

I have been finding Scleroderma citrinum, which is included in Plant Success, popping up around a lot of plants.

I've been taking spores and adding them to the tea, as well as little strands of mycelium that is still attached to the mushroom.

ganja din

will keep that in mind thanks.

oh yea can you put those uploaded articles in the Organic Fanatic Collective Sticky. good stuff like that goes in there so its not forever lost like this thread will be.

Yea I could. But I was thinking this thread is worthy of a sticky or something else that prevents it from getting 'lost'. Opinion?

Thanks

ganja din

so, if ganga's research is correct, then in short i have the choice of feeding my plant with organic ferts at the expense of the myco, or starving my plant so as the myco arent compromised???

Pretty much. But like MM said, cannabis can do well with lower (than what?) levels of organic P. So nothing is defined in terms of cannabis. To me, I would rather hedge my bets by not using AM fungi and doubling down on organic P (in a manner of speaking), relying upon other microbes to solubolize P, etc.

i only used it for the first time in this run i've just started - and i used my regular pretty rich organic soil - so it will be interesting to see if the myco succeeds

is it easy to tell with the naked eye if the myco have grown??
Sometimes. Depends on % infection and growth rate.

i always thought that myco was more important for smaller pots and i use very big pots - as big as i can fit into my cab- so i never thought it necessary. also i got great results without it. but it was an impulse buy when i saw it at the garden centre :)

V.
Trying something new is never bad. However, if the AM fungi product contains Trichoderma spp. ("spp." just means "more than one species, none of which are specifically named, but the assumption is I am talking about every, or a single species of Trichoderma").

There are a few people who are looking into this issue at the moment. But their opinions will be not ready for a week or more from what I have read. However, in my opinion using freeze dried AM fungi spores as the inoculum changes the game, and to be safe should not be combined with freeze dried Trichoderma spp. spores (i have not seen any research on this topic because live AM fungi spores, hyphae/mycelium and infected host roots are used in all studies I have read. I know of no professional horticulturalists or farmers who would prefer to use freeze dried AM fungi spores as the inoculum...)