What's new

Mycorrhizae and/or Beneficial Bacteria in Coco?

BerndV

I am currently switching over from promix to handwatering dtw coco using H&G coco nutes and Botanicare coco. I would like to hear from experienced coco growers as to whether there is any reason to bother adding mycorrhizae and/or beneficial bacteria products to the substrate?

crippled1

They love coco. You might consider buying some freshly made compost tea from your local hydro shop and applying every couple weeks.
I think it will have more beneficial microbes than other products.

Apache123

I like to use Mycogrow from Paul Stamets. Very cheap and works wonders...unless you put too much bleach in your Rez.hahaha!

yeeee510

im on my first grow in botanicare coco and H&G line my friend gave me some great white which he said works great. i would like to know what else i can add to feed the organisms in my coco that wont require me to change my nute schedule

EastBayGrower

Veteran
im on my first grow in botanicare coco and H&G line my friend gave me some great white which he said works great. i would like to know what else i can add to feed the organisms in my coco that wont require me to change my nute schedule

i also use great white in coco, i like it because its a mix of bacteria and fungi all in one,

you can apply it once or twice during your entire and aslong as you use molasses and maybe some liquid karma (kelp), it will feed the benes and keep em alive so no further innoculation is needed,,,

but make sure to keep the coco wet because if it drys out all the beneficials die off, and make sure to use R.O. water cuz in the 510 (like i am) has tons of chloromine that doesnt evaporate after bubbling,, so if you dont have a GOOD r.o. then i wouldnt bother even using it... IME

OCkushKing

I use Voodoo Piranah and Tarantula! Got roots poppin out the top of my coco! that and ph down are the only AN products i use, because they are the best! I want to try roots excelerator, not sure if thats bennies or something else!

Brazilian

Hi folks, here in Brazil, i always wanted to go organic, but those AN and other nutes are very expansive, so I use Peters chemical plant food in a perlite/ coco mix,my question is can I add mycorrizal?? Can it survive the chemical??? Thanks

knna

I am currently switching over from promix to handwatering dtw coco using H&G coco nutes and Botanicare coco. I would like to hear from experienced coco growers as to whether there is any reason to bother adding mycorrhizae and/or beneficial bacteria products to the substrate?

As for mycorrhizae, its very little useful when growing in containers. (Very useful outdoor directly in ground).

Its main advantage is increase avalaibility of Phosphorous. Growing indoors on containers, there is no any reason your plants experiences any shortage on P supply.

Tricothermas, on the other hand, are of great value on coco. They are self sustaining, so a single adition to seedlings/just rooted clones is enough (when they are not in the coco you buy). Protect plants roots against many infections.

BTW, I dont understand why AN use both together in Piranha when they are not compatible. In general, tricotherma with kill mycorrhizae. Maybe people dont notice it (anyway, micos are little useful indoor), but pay more because the product has more things in it, I dont know.

About beneficials, they are good, but not magic. Use whatever are self sustainable on the media, as its cheap and naturally balanced. About this, often more not equals to better. If you not grow organically, there is no reason to use them, on the other hand.

Great White by Plant Success is the shiznit. It's also what H&G recommends since their Mycrorhizae (bacto force) cant be shipped to the US yet. The Great White has like 42 different kinds micro compared to 1-2 by most other products.

C

Carl Carlson

BTW, I dont understand why AN use both together in Piranha when they are not compatible. In general, tricotherma with kill mycorrhizae. Maybe people dont notice it (anyway, micos are little useful indoor), but pay more because the product has more things in it, I dont know.
bingo.

FreeMan

I've had good results with mycorrhizae and coco for mothers. The plants were very strong and very resistant to PH and EC extremes. I fed the mother in the thread for around a year without really measuring feed, the times I did I found either the EC or PH was very high, but it didn't really show in the plant. I flushed it back within range very rarely.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=182460

Brazilian

I've had good results with mycorrhizae and coco for mothers. The plants were very strong and very resistant to PH and EC extremes. I fed the mother in the thread for around a year without really measuring feed, the times I did I found either the EC or PH was very high, but it didn't really show in the plant. I flushed it back within range very rarely.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=182460

Hey FreeMan, but you were feeding organics right???

FreeMan

Hey FreeMan, but you were feeding organics right???

No, which is the strange thing. Fed a mix of mainly Advanced Sensi Grow and Canna A&B. Didn't seem too affect the colonization of the root mass too much, as it seemed to fruit very well and from all areas of the pot at one point.

Brazilian

Thanks for the answer, freeman so, i'm thinking of giving mine some mycogrow, i'm feeding them with peters 30-10-10 chemical, but the clones i wanna grow organic...

Strapped

I guess the question is, does it really help? A lot of people are saying great white, but has anyone on here used it with good results? Great thread btw... I love when my questions are answered before I ask them.

Latest posts

Latest posts